Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here (119030 Views)

Offshore, Oil And Gas Industry - Disaster. / Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Do You Want Be To An Offshore Oil Rig Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by stpat1(m): 12:15am On Aug 11, 2014
okito: I remember once flying out of location and 10 mins into the flight, the chopper starts acting funny, being the only passenger, I peeped to see the reaction on the faces of the pilots; tense. Worse still I saw them flipping through the pages of a manual and the contents of the manual were stuff like hydraulic failure, mechanical failure etc. My worst fear was confirmed! thankfully, they found a solution to the problem and 35 mins later, we landed safely at NAF base. In all, it is a beautiful experience.

hahahah I'm sure that by then, its Brace Brace and how to jettison the door that will be in your head. not a pleasant experience

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by flyingdutchman(m): 12:16am On Aug 11, 2014
SHARRAP THERE! YOU FIT BOAST OF 20 THOUSAND
dustydee:

shocked 32 million for someone with 15 years of experience sounds small to me. I would have thought the majors pay better. if I may ask, are you a technician?

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Wiinnd(m): 12:36am On Aug 11, 2014
CzarChris: Dude, its good to know that your in the field, what pissed me off was how you sounded so cocky in that comment of yours. Even if what he said didn't land well with you, being polite in your answer to him won't cost you anything or even ignoring him totally was a far better option.
Well that being said I accept your apology no matter how coded you made it sound grin .
True the competition in the industry is really fierce now, so everyone should make the best of whatever their goal in life is.
I left the industry in 2012, and I'm loving my life after the industry. No more unnecessary risk to life(make ND boys come site and ask for the project engineer na den ur eye go open), no more deadlines, no more cramming of 12life saving rules, no more fear of job insecurity, na me bi my oga now. Gaddamn, this is the life. cool
what are you currently doing now sir?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by crudedude(m): 12:37am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria:

I almost fell off my chair laughing. I have two degrees. One in Electronics and another in IMC. The IMC got me the job and made me spend 2yrs in University to get a Bsc. So what you should do is tell your younger ones to start taking Havard classes from their SS1 http://www.extension.harvard.edu/ With this, they can move faster through the school process.

is it free?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by sunkymike(m): 12:41am On Aug 11, 2014
this thread has been so educative.. special thanks to the op, mod and contributors on this thread. I will be going for MSC on subsea engineering this October. I just want to ask if a country like Nigeria has gotten to that level that it takes subsea exploration and production paramount / as priority just like Norway, Saudi etc.
2. what is the job prospect for subsea engineers like in Nigeria. are they hot cakes here like they are in UK, Canada , Norway. etc
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by cuteboy2: 12:42am On Aug 11, 2014
suwailad: This thread is not a job search zone. I did my 2 weeks at okpono okono oml 119,agip/npdc but that was i.t in 2009 though. I weighed 70kg when i landed on the platform and was 74kg when i left. I still dream of the food, i ate 4 times a day, never missed tea breaks, snacks, indian food, turkish, persian delicacies etc.lord, my plate was always full.i spent more time in the shower enjoying the company of adjustable hot and cold shower/mini jac.which was very therapeutic. It was then i knew dstv had some real poorn channels,that was my fav.channel tongue. I had a white friend mr terry,funny guy.many good experiences.no time to sulk over the past.

Interesting post. So after watching the po**, how did you deal with the resulting conji Please be honest grin
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Champella(m): 12:43am On Aug 11, 2014
Hello people!

It is believed that there are many ways to work in the Oil & Gas industry. I would love the more experienced guys in this sector to please enlighten others on how to get there.

With respect to the "technical roles" for the Technicians, Technologists and Engineers in this sector, what are these necessary skills/trainings an SSCE, OND, HND, B.Eng, M.Sc, etc holder should possess to be given a shot in an On/Offshore job?

However, a few persons i interacted with did tell me that some skills like:

* Welding & Fabrication
* Scaffolding
* Painting, etc will be needed.

I would love the more enlightened people in here to please list and explain more on other skills/trainings that would place one in an advantaged position

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by volihove: 12:53am On Aug 11, 2014
How does a graduate in accountiNg com into this party. I love to have a share of this off shore pari
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by tnktosin(m): 1:07am On Aug 11, 2014
Ofshores is indeed a beautiful and serene place.
Took this photo some 6 years ago from the Acergy Hawk.
Irep gulf of Guinea.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:04am On Aug 11, 2014
If you witness a very bad day offshore, when you see men and women jumping out of their rooms naked in the midnight trying to struggle for their lives, then you will know that working offshore is not the best option sometimes.

I had a very bad experience on a drillship offshore Usan field. Thank God for our lives sha.

3 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by fubbyy(m): 2:25am On Aug 11, 2014
What's the possibility of getting work In offshore with a degree that is not related to it, I red political science

I just like the job, what's the requirement, must I know someone there?

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:42am On Aug 11, 2014
Prepare for your Oil and Gas Job tests, Interviews and Scholarship tests with:

# The Ultimate Oil and Gas Tests Guide

This guide contains hidden but open SECRETS to succeed in :
*SHL Tests;
*Psychometric tests;
*Aptitude Tests;
*Numerical Tests;
*GRE;
*Inductive Reasoning;
*GSE;
*Sample Interview Questions and Answers;
*Sample live tests
*Solutions to past tests
*And many more...
Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
If you are interested, you can send a mail to 5252world@gmail.com with the subject 'OilandGasTestsGuide'.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:50am On Aug 11, 2014
bluecard: This thread is for those that work away from home in the oil industry
Either Offshore Nigeria or elsewhere in the world,tell us your experiences
your work environment,how difficult or challenging your job is

I hope this will be a nice meeting point for we that work offshore to keep
this energy thirsty world running

You are all welcome

Prepare for your Oil and Gas Job tests, Interviews and Scholarship tests with:

# The Ultimate Oil and Gas Tests Guide

This guide contains hidden but open SECRETS to succeed in :
*SHL Tests;
*Psychometric tests;
*Aptitude Tests;
*Numerical Tests;
*GRE;
*Inductive Reasoning;
*GSE;
*Sample Interview Questions and Answers;
*Sample live tests
*Solutions to past tests
*And many more...
Visit www.oilandgastestsguide.com for more information.
If you are interested, you can send a mail to 5252world@gmail.com with the subject 'OilandGasTestsGuide'.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 3:35am On Aug 11, 2014
ifyn4real: Try to search for countries Like Canada and Norway, light no too dey naija lane kiss
Will dey employ you from Nigeria,witout Visa?
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Alleybuy(m): 4:00am On Aug 11, 2014
Dude u gave too much information here and its easy to know who u r. Lemme guess, ur name starts with a U and ur wife's name starts with a D. cool cheesy smiley

top10nigeria: The good thing about nairaland is you’ll never know me so I can write everything and not worry about my identity.
I work offshore and my Wife works offshore(Sub-sea Engineer). I work 2weeks tour while she works 4weeks tour.
The surest way of working offshore is to graduate first Class Engineering/Geo Sciences. My Wife had a first Class Chemical Engineering and Mine is Electronics. Production Oil companies won’t even invite you for Aptitude test if you do not have a 2-1 that is 4.0 and above. And now we have a lot of Nigerians with masters from UK, so its becoming harder for them to employ people with first degree. Now I am assuming you don’t have connections and your Parents are as broke as mine were when they were sending me to school. So that is one path to working offshore and I will call these people employed directly by the Oil companies as Level 1.
Another path is to be a Technical Non-Pro, eg. Cook, Secretary, medical, laundry, welder, painter, deck hands, etc… To make it easier, I will label this Level 2. Most of these people are on contract so they don’t get same level of compensation.
Eg. The average cook/laundry staff earns 840,000/yr
Average Technical Support eg. Pipe fitter/secretary/Welder etc will earn 4-8million a year
But the level 1 guys earn more.
Eg. Personally I earned a total remuneration of 32million last year and my wife Earned 23million last year. (I work for the majors while my Wife works for a Drilling Company – the majors(Exxonmobil / Total/ Shell / Chevron / Agip) always pay more than the drilling (Schlumberger / Transocean / Halliburton)
So the first thing I want those who want to work offshore to do is decide what type of job they want to do offshore. Do you want to be Level 1 or Level 2?
Personally, I have 15yrs of experience and I work in a production company so I am high paying. I don’t think there is anybody within my team including the 2year olds who earns a TR of less than 20million.
So I will encourage you guys to go back to your books and read them so hard.
For me the best part of working offshore is the 2weeks off. I will not transfer to the office for a 200% increase in wages and maybe its because I started working offshore when I was 18. Plus I work on measurement and control systems, so I don’t do any physical work like my folks in mechanical who have to work on pumps, so I am on the best job in the world right now. Also, the Time off allows me to spend time on my other endeavors and For me that is the best part of working offshore. Note: My Wife hates it, but because I am away half of the time, she is managing the job until she can go back to school for her masters.
I hope this adds a different perspective to the conversation.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by upengineer: 4:09am On Aug 11, 2014
Yes, i work on one of the FPSOs you listed. You are really vast with FPSO names. As regards babes visiting, well on my FPSO, babes cant visit. Reason been the remoteness of the location and the distance. My location is deep water, Gulf of Guinea. Maybe other locations or BARGES but on a FPSO, i think no. But i stand to be corrected. Drills are normal, no special thing about it. It can happen anytime. Entry Qualification depends on the job you are coming in for and that is determined by the HR. There are different jobs for different people depending on where you belong. There is marine department, there we have 2nd officers, deck hands, riggers e.t.c to welders, to painters to galley hands. Though the galley (canteen) is handled by a third party company to Rope Access guys. Sure, there is job for everybody. Though, am in operations sha. I think i have answered some funny questions
flyingdutchman: I could be with you this very minute. Oboy, you sure say we no be colleagues? Which one you dey? BONGA, ERA, SEDJE BERGE, TULJA, ARMADA PERDANA, ABO? It'll be nice ta meet ya
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Alleybuy(m): 4:50am On Aug 11, 2014
sunkymike: this thread has been so educative.. special thanks to the op, mod and contributors on this thread. I will be going for MSC on subsea engineering this October. I just want to ask if a country like Nigeria has gotten to that level that it takes subsea exploration and production paramount / as priority just like Norway, Saudi etc.
2. what is the job prospect for subsea engineers like in Nigeria. are they hot cakes here like they are in UK, Canada , Norway. etc

Anything u can do to improve yourself is advised. Subsea engineer job prospects are good even in naija. At least its better than the lot out there. Just know that new offshore developments are kinda stalling until 2015 elections are over. So generally things are a bit slow at the moment
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by wkkwl: 5:19am On Aug 11, 2014
nice thread @op
i followed this thread up from the begning,i most say i encourage nd appauld you all.

I would lyk to have an offshore exprience.
Currently am at site Nurse in EBC.

I am a Male Nures,working/mann in the Sickbay in offshore is a dream for me.

I really have a passion.
Would rilly love to touch peoples life like i always do.

Advise them on the food they eat.

Checking of their B.p.

Important of having enough during ur off periods.

Believe me Industrial work,has its own bad Hazards,that begin to tell on you later on life.

One of ma client came down with HTN for 5yrs he never.

Until he jst came to RX a nail inury.
I checked his B.P.he was almost running in HTN crisis.

I would advise offshore engineers here,
Take ur health seriously.
Its not about now wat abt later.

For your own good make sure you re sound health wise before you go offshore.

Make you dont have any complicating health issues.

Mointor ur sugar levels.
Ur cholestrol levels.
Check ur B.P
exercise alot.
Enough sleep.

When you are on offshore.

If you have got family,spend alot of time with them.

Being aways for 2wks for a married man with kids,its not an easy one.

So try to spend all ur time with them nd all..

To cap it all.

I would lyk go offshore.

I am registered Nurse.
I have OHN certificate.
Basic life support.

I would rilly love to hear from you soon.
My email is

can anyone link me.........offshore clinics,sickbay etc.....
chidiomolu@gmail.com

Remmber working offshore is good,but ur health first.

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by babestell(f): 5:22am On Aug 11, 2014
Where are the ladies na? Abi we don't have nairaland females working offshore. Babes represent na.

Am a petroleum engr so I visit the rigs on a need to basis. My worst experience on a rig wad when we had drilling containment issues and were in danger of getting a kick and this was a gas well. I just grabbed my safety vest and stood by the life raft. My life was just flashing in front of me like cinema, we did take the kick but it was properly contained.

sometimes its tough. Have been the only femaleror maybe just 2 of us out of so many guys. And its not fun jor, too monotonous. I was on the rig during world cup and they made me watch football matches even when my fav programme was on on hip tv. Thank God I was able to pull seniority on some occasions.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by conyema12(m): 5:26am On Aug 11, 2014
Wonderful thread. ..

For me I worked in Nigeria Offshore precisely the transocean jackup rigs for 2yrs. Like 30mins choppper ride from PH Airforce base. Its a wonderful experience. Infact what I enjoyed most is the brotherly love that circumvents esp at the rig fellowship.
It can really be boring when you are on standby because of operational reasons. The food is great for the few days after which I only have to cope with the mundane taste. I also cherish the wonderful view at nights watching other countless production platforms radiating their light at nights. It reminds me of how rich nigeria is.
Most times I add 3kg to my weight before heading home.

but presently am in Middle East and most of my colleagues are Arab , indians and some indonesians. I will say the arab guys are wonderful ppl with good heart.
the major challenge here is communication as most my colleagues speak less english with asian accent..
woow I forgot the weather.. its terribly hot here with temperature Most times at 48 degrees.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by sovpounds(m): 6:49am On Aug 11, 2014
Urine:

Lmao! Your head is there. grin

Yes oh she don secure her destiny. If you are one of the admirers or fans of kim kardashian sign this online petition and forward it to all your family and friends.

http://www.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fchn.ge%2F1oVrSlZ&h=VAQGx35n6
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 11, 2014
The only people i find who enjoy these jobs are perhaps contract workers or those who go offshore for only a short-term. Those who must spend a better part of their life around these places often get disillusioned sooner or later. undecided
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by 88natzy(m): 7:16am On Aug 11, 2014
chukz4real:

Work under any condition?
Yes, good conditions.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dustydee: 7:23am On Aug 11, 2014
For those that keep asking how they can work offshore, I will suggest you concentrate your efforts on getting a job with one of the majors or any indigenous company then hope that you get the opportunity to work there. For me I think it is something to experience once (maybe a few months) and move on.
Wish you the best.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 7:29am On Aug 11, 2014
@Babestell, I see U.
babestell: Where are the ladies na? Abi we don't have nairaland females working offshore. Babes represent na.

Am a petroleum engr so I visit the rigs on a need to basis. My worst experience on a rig wad when we had drilling containment issues and were in danger of getting a kick and this was a gas well. I just grabbed my safety vest and stood by the life raft. My life was just flashing in front of me like cinema, we did take the kick but it was properly contained.

sometimes its tough. Have been the only femaleror maybe just 2 of us out of so many guys. And its not fun jor, too monotonous. I was on the rig during world cup and they made me watch football matches even when my fav programme was on on hip tv. Thank God I was able to pull seniority on some occasions.
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by udz: 7:31am On Aug 11, 2014
Good to hear, U have moved up in ur career cos I followed ur thread abt a yr ago on a career decision U wanted to make. Nwa afo, ur boy nokwa ya.
conyema12: Wonderful thread. ..

For me I worked in Nigeria Offshore precisely the transocean jackup rigs for 2yrs. Like 30mins choppper ride from PH Airforce base. Its a wonderful experience. Infact what I enjoyed most is the brotherly love that circumvents esp at the rig fellowship.
It can really be boring when you are on standby because of operational reasons. The food is great for the few days after which I only have to cope with the mundane taste. I also cherish the wonderful view at nights watching other countless production platforms radiating their light at nights. It reminds me of how rich nigeria is.
Most times I add 3kg to my weight before heading home.

but presently am in Middle East and most of my colleagues are Arab , indians and some indonesians. I will say the arab guys are wonderful ppl with good heart.
the major challenge here is communication as most my colleagues speak less english with asian accent..
woow I forgot the weather.. its terribly hot here with temperature Most times at 48 degrees.

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by stpat1(m): 7:39am On Aug 11, 2014
hmmm. the major reason why most peeps work offshore is the money. Mind you, its not all rosy for everyone there too. It depends on the department and level you are in so don't think everyone that works offshore swim in millions.
There are cooks, messmen, laundry men, cleaners, engineers technicians, safety etc. As there jobs differ so is their pay.
I just wonder why so much peeps are bent on working offshore when there are businesses in town that can even fetch you as much or even better pay and still keep you close to your friends and family.

Money can't really buy happiness.

2 Likes

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by obioraval(m): 7:59am On Aug 11, 2014
CzarChris: This is the major reasons I didn't pursue a contract extension or try to be a full staff, it wasn't worth it.These companies squeeze out your youth when you start clocking 50+ they retire you and that's when you'll need that job the most. Working in those companies are good I'm not stopping anybody from going for it. But honestly in the long run, its not worth it.

My humble opinion though.
funny my uncle said so. But that bonny experience sweet sha... Going offshore once in a while is cool and an interesting event
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by IYIMAN: 8:04am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria.. You are very right, so many dept. / varying employment levels offshore. Contracts/contractors staff , support staff all work offshore, not everyone get paid in millions: in fact, some don't earn up to a million annually.
I only wonder why the core staff of indigenous companies still earn less than 10million (engineers..... Mechanical, instrument, operations, electrical & co). Medics and safety guys even get less in these companies. Oil majors/ IOC is the best to work for.
Apart from the salary, there are several incentives not obtained in the indigenous firms, in terms of allowances and training opportunities.

1 Like

Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by dbex: 8:04am On Aug 11, 2014
Lovely comments, makes the offshore life seem so appealingly grin
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by babestell(f): 8:17am On Aug 11, 2014
IYIMAN: top10nigeria.. You are very right, so many dept. / varying employment levels offshore. Contracts/contractors staff , support staff all work offshore, not everyone get paid in millions: in fact, some don't earn up to a million annually.
I only wonder why the core staff of indigenous companies still earn less than 10million (engineers..... Mechanical, instrument, operations, electrical & co). Medics and safety guys even get less in this companies. Oil majors/ IOC is the best to work for.
Apart from the salary, there are several incentives not obtained in the indigenous firms, in terms of allowances and training opportunities.

You are very right but I think the indigenous companies are stepping up
Oando, Seplat, Waltersmith, Addax are trying. People are leaving IOCs to work for them, and that can only because they they are getting better offers.

But yeah, a lot still needs to be done
Re: Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here by babestell(f): 8:18am On Aug 11, 2014
dbex: Lovely comments, makes the offshore life seem so appealingly grin

Please o!, it is not. The only appealing thing is the payslip ath end of the month or if your lucky the time you get off.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (26) (Reply)

Woman Caught Having Sex During Zoom Meeting: Pics & Video / Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.