Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm (58700 Views)

Why Ogbomosho Is The Best Location To Site Your Farm. / What Do You Give Your Broilers To Grow Faster? / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by faceland: 3:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
Wait a minute the whole tree can be male or female?
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by AfonjaConehead: 3:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
TheFacelessMan:
shocked

8 year old thread.. but I must confess that ayam 40 and just got to know the English word for this fruit..grin
By the way,can someone tell me the English name for kulikuli? grin
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Kaymansion(m): 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2022
shocked 2014 post

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by pocohantas(f): 4:19pm On Oct 29, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:
Anytime I eat this fruit, my sexual appetite increases. I go just dey on my own dey wet. Also makes me add weight.

Devilish fruit. Avoid it for your good.

Hahahaha. She say na devilish fruit. I take a lot of it. It gives me energy boost, thanks to its sugar content. Maybe I can use the energy boost in bed, but it hasn’t come as plain increase in libido. cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by viodemus: 4:30pm On Oct 29, 2022
nice 1. Good info.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by meobizy(f): 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
Me wey dey south no fit plant am then. Our constant rains will kill it.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by observanc1: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2022
Ololademrmoney2:
You have no reason to feel sober, hope dey no matter what you're going through. 2014 post just dey reach front page now
the OP has even deactivated his account.
Imagine front-page thread posted created by "Nobody"
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by castins(m): 5:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
How do I get the seedling? Or will the dry ones being sold by "aboki" germinate?
Days to germination: Seedlings are usually purchased
Days to harvest: 4 to 7 years
Light requirements: Full sun
Water requirements: Will tolerate dry conditions
Soil: Fertile and loose
Container: Not really ideal

Introduction
Dates are a very common fruit in the Middle East, and most crops are grown there or in northern Africa. The fruit is grown on a date palm tree, and it should be no surprise that they thrive only in hot dry climates. For North American growers, only zones 9 to 11 would be suitable for date palms. The most common variety is the Medjool date.

They are not the easiest trees to grow and harvest from, but growing your own dates can be a fun challenge if you enjoy trying new fruits in your garden. Just be prepared for a little more work than usual.

Dates are extremely nutritious, and have been an important food source for centuries. They are high in fiber and several B vitamins but low in calories.

Starting your Tree
Date palms are either male or female, and you will need one of each in order to have any fruit. If you want to grow several trees, you can get by with one male and any number of female trees. So when you plan out your locations for date palms, make sure you have room for at least 2 trees.

Because you need a male and female tree, people generally don’t start their trees from seed because you would never know what the gender will be for many years. Purchased seedlings are usually cuttings from an existing palm, so they should be properly labeled by their gender.

Choose a sunny location and plant as you would any other kind of tree, digging a hole large enough to hold the roots. Each tree will grow to more than 50 feet tall, and up to 30 feet across. If that is excessive, try a 10-foot dwarf variety.

As mentioned, you need 2 trees but because you will be pollinating by hand (see more on that in the next section), you don’t necessarily have to plant the trees next to each other if your space doesn’t allow it.

Tree Care
Dates are very slow growing trees, so don’t be discouraged if your trees aren’t doing very much each season. It’s easy to over-water a date palm, which will kill it. Regular rainfall is usually sufficient, unless it’s been dry for a prolonged period of time or your tree is still getting established.

Date palms are not pollinated by insects or birds, but by the wind. With only a few trees, you are taking a risk that nothing will pollinate and therefore will produce no fruit. That means part of your annual gardening routine will have to be hand-pollinating your date trees.

Early each year, the male trees will produce sheaths of pollen. You will have to collect it (it’s just a fine powder) and then dust it over the female flowers once your female trees are in bloom. Ask at the nursery where you get your trees for more details on this. It’s really not a difficult task.

Date palms will grow very long and sharp thorns or spines along its base, so either plant your trees somewhere away from regular walkways or cut the spines off as they grow. It won’t hurt the plant to snip them off.
Once your fruit starts to set, you will want to thin it out by picking some of the smaller fruits before they ripen. Otherwise, you will have a big harvest of tiny dates. It’s not uncommon to take out half or more of the growing dates to get a better final crop.

Pests and Diseases

Most of the insect pests that attack the date palm are not found in North America, so anyone growing dates in America will probably find their trees to be fairly insect-free.
Birds, mice and squirrels can be a problem once the fruit starts to ripen though. Date farmers usually put mesh bags around the strands of dates so they can ripen without being stolen.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by CAPITALBEE: 5:19pm On Oct 29, 2022
meobizy:
Me wey dey south no fit plant am then. Our constant rains will kill it.

That's a barrier I want to break even though it was planted accidentally... Let's see tho

1st Frame - Age: Less than 6 months (Oct 29, 2022)
2nd Frame - Age: About 1 yr 2 months (July 30, 2023)

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by maureensylvia(f): 6:15pm On Oct 29, 2022
Timekeeper452:
price?

#850 per kilo
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by arcahmad(m): 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
castins:
How do I get the seedling? Or will the dry ones being sold by "aboki" germinate?
Lolz.. That one if you plant it na your grand children go eat am.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Tfx1: 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2022
Good
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by castins(m): 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2022
But will it germinate? Were can I see the seedling to buy?
arcahmad:
Lolz.. That one if you plant it na your grand children go eat am.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by castins(m): 7:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
Were can I get the seedling?
CAPITALBEE:

That's a barrier I want to break even though it was planted accidentally... Let's see tho

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Lawag3: 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
Days to germination: Seedlings are usually purchased
Days to harvest: 4 to 7 years
Light requirements: Full sun
Water requirements: Will tolerate dry conditions
Soil: Fertile and loose
Container: Not really ideal

Introduction
Dates are a very common fruit in the Middle East, and most crops are grown there or in northern Africa. The fruit is grown on a date palm tree, and it should be no surprise that they thrive only in hot dry climates. For North American growers, only zones 9 to 11 would be suitable for date palms. The most common variety is the Medjool date.

They are not the easiest trees to grow and harvest from, but growing your own dates can be a fun challenge if you enjoy trying new fruits in your garden. Just be prepared for a little more work than usual.

Dates are extremely nutritious, and have been an important food source for centuries. They are high in fiber and several B vitamins but low in calories.

Starting your Tree
Date palms are either male or female, and you will need one of each in order to have any fruit. If you want to grow several trees, you can get by with one male and any number of female trees. So when you plan out your locations for date palms, make sure you have room for at least 2 trees.

Because you need a male and female tree, people generally don’t start their trees from seed because you would never know what the gender will be for many years. Purchased seedlings are usually cuttings from an existing palm, so they should be properly labeled by their gender.

Choose a sunny location and plant as you would any other kind of tree, digging a hole large enough to hold the roots. Each tree will grow to more than 50 feet tall, and up to 30 feet across. If that is excessive, try a 10-foot dwarf variety.

As mentioned, you need 2 trees but because you will be pollinating by hand (see more on that in the next section), you don’t necessarily have to plant the trees next to each other if your space doesn’t allow it.

Tree Care
Dates are very slow growing trees, so don’t be discouraged if your trees aren’t doing very much each season. It’s easy to over-water a date palm, which will kill it. Regular rainfall is usually sufficient, unless it’s been dry for a prolonged period of time or your tree is still getting established.

Date palms are not pollinated by insects or birds, but by the wind. With only a few trees, you are taking a risk that nothing will pollinate and therefore will produce no fruit. That means part of your annual gardening routine will have to be hand-pollinating your date trees.

Early each year, the male trees will produce sheaths of pollen. You will have to collect it (it’s just a fine powder) and then dust it over the female flowers once your female trees are in bloom. Ask at the nursery where you get your trees for more details on this. It’s really not a difficult task.

Date palms will grow very long and sharp thorns or spines along its base, so either plant your trees somewhere away from regular walkways or cut the spines off as they grow. It won’t hurt the plant to snip them off.
Once your fruit starts to set, you will want to thin it out by picking some of the smaller fruits before they ripen. Otherwise, you will have a big harvest of tiny dates. It’s not uncommon to take out half or more of the growing dates to get a better final crop.

Pests and Diseases

Most of the insect pests that attack the date palm are not found in North America, so anyone growing dates in America will probably find their trees to be fairly insect-free.
Birds, mice and squirrels can be a problem once the fruit starts to ripen though. Date farmers usually put mesh bags around the strands of dates so they can ripen without being stolen.

9 longs years later grin
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Bukola94: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

Na there them go see you.
U BEEN WET IS A SIGN OF FERTILITY.LOL, I BEEN HAVING ERECTION IS A SIGN OF JOY
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by guychidile: 9:04pm On Oct 29, 2022
Can someone grow date in SE
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by arcahmad(m): 9:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
castins:
But will it germinate? Were can I see the seedling to buy?
Is better to contact the OP

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by FarmTech(m): 10:18pm On Oct 29, 2022
Lawag3:

9 longs years later grin
9 yrs isn't that long compare to the money you'll make from it.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by FarmTech(m): 10:19pm On Oct 29, 2022
CAPITALBEE:

Where did you get the seedling or seed?
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by KunGioKehRah: 1:16am On Oct 30, 2022
I once saw its tree in my street in Kano

They covered the fruits with nets to prevent birds from eating them

I didn't even know it was the tree, it was my friend that told me
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by Yusman316(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2022
A timely article. I have been pondering on how to effectively grow 'date palm'. Thanks!
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Bukola94:
U BEEN WET IS A SIGN OF FERTILITY.LOL, I BEEN HAVING ERECTION IS A SIGN OF JOY

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by visionsen(m): 7:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Nice piece.
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 8:14am On Oct 30, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

That's mad cool. Just 5 dates. One can even make smoothies out of it.
I've learned something new from you and some other folks here.

As per your body weight, you look sexy okay in your profile pic assuming it is recent.

Thanks for sharing (without being too prudish). You're self-aware and smart. wink

I've been following you on my older moniker for a couple of years now.

Talk to you later Uyai.

I know you. The eccentric way you write and your lettering gives you away. Thanks for the compliments. Have a great day. smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 8:24am On Oct 30, 2022
pocohantas:

Hahahaha. She say na devilish fruit. I take a lot of it. It gives me energy boost, thanks to its sugar content. Maybe I can use the energy boost in bed, but it hasn’t come as plain increase in libido. cheesy cheesy

Does it not make you add weight too, poco? You know its high sugar contents make a pass for enough calorific contents in it? Go and take it with tigernut. You'll enjoy yourself. wink

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by JBoss25(m): 8:28am On Oct 30, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

I know you. The eccentric way you write and your lettering gives you away. Thanks for the compliments. Have a great day. smiley
how do you know who the person is cheesy u be weirdo
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 8:30am On Oct 30, 2022
JBoss25:
how do you know who the person is cheesy u be weirdo

He has two other monikers like that that he follows me with. The same humongous words he uses to appraise himself gives him away. Even the look of his profiles too. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by pocohantas(f): 10:49am On Oct 30, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

Does it not make you add weight too, poco? You know its high sugar contents make a pass for enough calorific contents in it? Go and take it with tigernut. You'll enjoy yourself. wink

Weight gain? None that I have noticed. But one should consume in moderation ba? And have a good fitness routine. I don’t take tiger nuts for the same reason I don’t take coconut - it makes my throat dry. cry

Happy Sunday Uyai…
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by meobizy(f): 11:06am On Oct 30, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:
Anytime I eat this fruit, my sexual appetite increases. I go just dey on my own dey wet. Also makes me add weight.

Devilish fruit. Avoid it for your good.
Is this the same Victoria Uyai Ukpabio I chat with on Facebook?

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by AlphaTaikun: 11:15am On Oct 30, 2022
UyaiIncomparabl:

Oh, you reckon? Essentric, huh?! (smirk)

I have only EVER followed you with one NL moniker (not two) since 2018 and you followed me right back. My older moniker comes from the 2000s.

You're full of unusual surprises Vicky. I didn't realise that I left enough digital trails or evidence for you or anyone to pick on here. All hail our resident female "Sherlock Holmes." grin

Enjoy your day too Uyai. wink
Re: How To Grow Date Palm [dabino] In Your Farm by OmaleYoungdaou: 11:20am On Oct 30, 2022
My brother have many seedlings in his compound if you want just call this 08031342006. The seed was treated in lab under the watch from abu Zaria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Grasscutter I Caught Today In The Farm / Mangu-Bokkos-Plateau: The Largest Mechanized Farm In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.