Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,635 members, 7,809,389 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures (49845 Views)

Buhari Launches Dry Season Rice And Wheat Farming In Kebbi (Photos) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 12:29am On Nov 10, 2014
Cultivating vegetables in dry season is indeed an uncommon form of farming in Nigeria.

Contrary to what you may have earlier believed there are crops that can survive and thrive well in this condition.

Warm season vegetables such as:
Onions
Carrots
tomato
pepper,
cucumber
okra
eggplant
garden egg
melon
pumpkin
sweet potato

All these can survive the dry season and can thrive very well.
so all the gurus in the house let the practical teaching begins.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by smithboela(m): 1:00am On Nov 10, 2014
I reside in lagos, please how can I get this seed, especially watermelon,okra and carrot seed.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by Pavore9: 10:36am On Nov 10, 2014
l know vegetables commands a higher price during the dry season and with irrigation one can achieve bumper harvest which translates to good income.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by bamdexfarms(m): 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
Am following seriously, how much can one make from one hectare of ugwu this dry Season?
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:17pm On Nov 10, 2014
Dry season vegetable is another money spinner.

The highly profitable dry season vegetables are in the order of Ewedu (4weeks) ,Cucumber (45days) and Shoko (2 months)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 5:42am On Nov 11, 2014
Its my Birthday TODAY.

All thanks to Almighty God for granting me the grace to see another year added to me in peace, joy and happiness. cheers.
Wishing anyone else who has a birthday today many blessings and may you have an awesome day and year ahead.
Best Wishes,
Adeniyi Sola Bunmi

9 Likes

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by RealChris(m): 6:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Pls If U are a Vegetable farmer (fluted pumpkin leaf, tomatoes n pepper) in Benin, Edo state, let me know. I will love to visit your farm for sighting n learning purpose. Thanks

Happy Birth Day To You, ADENIYI SOLA BUNMI (World1)

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:37am On Nov 11, 2014
RealChris:
Pls If U are a Vegetable farmer (fluted pumpkin leaf, tomatoes n pepper) in Benin, Edo state, let me know. I will love to visit your farm for sighting n learning purpose. Thanks

Happy Birth Day To You, ADENIYI SOLA BUNMI (World1)
@RealChris.
Thanks so much
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 7:00am On Nov 11, 2014
Good morning.
I'am so happy today ita my birthday and am ready to teach so let start with onion.
We all know onions and how its been demanded for in the market but everybody thinks it only grows it the northern part of Nigeria NO. I want to tell you that onion actually grows in the south. TESTED and PROVED.

HOW DO YOU PLANT YOUR ONIONS
1. You need to make a bed just like every other vegetables but since we are going into dry season let the bed be very low so that you don't need to wet to much and your onion will be able to get the little water it needs to grow.

2. Fortified the bed with well mature chicken waste at least 2weeks before planting.

3. Onion is not a direct planting vegetables so you need to nurse it and transplant to the well prepared bed in 15 days.

HOW TO MAKE ONION NURSERY
1. Get an hybrid onion seeds
2. Get sawdust
3. Get dry chicken waste
4. Get a flat tray
Are you ready OK let go

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2014
Are you guys reading this

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by bamdexfarms(m): 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2014
Definitly following
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by Juliana7: 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2014
World1, oya ooo, we are waiting oooo!
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by smartoskie(m): 4:47pm On Nov 13, 2014
bamdexfarms:
Am following seriously, how much can one make from one hectare of ugwu this dry Season?

I also like to know how profitable vegetable farming can be this season especially with irrigation.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by smartoskie(m): 8:38pm On Nov 13, 2014
bamdexfarms:

Any farmer in the house

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 10:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
Am so sorry for the delay
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 10:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Thank you, God, for giving me another year of life.
Thank you for all the people who remembered me today by sending cards, and letters, gifts and good wishes.

Thank you for all the experience of this past year;
for times of success which will always be happy memories,
for times of failure which reminded me of my own weakness and of my need for you,
for times of joy when the sun was shining,
for times of sadness which drove me to you.

Forgive me
for the hours I wasted,
for the chances I failed to take,
for the opportunities I missed this past year.
Help me in the days ahead to make this the best year yet,
and through it to bring good credit to myself,
happiness and pride to my loved ones,
and joy to you. Amen.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:03am On Nov 15, 2014
HOW TO MAKE ONION NURSERY
1. Get an hybrid onion seeds
2. Get sawdust
3. Get dry chicken waste
4. Get a flat tray

Step 1. Mixed the sawdust and the chicken waste together and water to damp then place the mixed content on the tray.

Step 2. Make an horizontal lines on the tray at 2cm apart then sprinkled your hybrid onion seed exactly on the lines and cover it with little dry sand.

Step 3. Wet every evening but don't allow water to torch the lines where you put the seed.

If you follow the aboved mentioned steps then you onions will be ready for transplanting in 10 days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:08am On Nov 15, 2014
Onions are important horticultural crops in Nigeria. They can be grown for subsistence or commercial farming.

The choice of onion variety matters a lot when it comes to commercial farming / agribusiness. This is because a farmer has to calculate the input costs verses the output costs in order to maximize profits.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:09am On Nov 15, 2014
Favourable biotic conditions

Temperature; optimum temperature for plant development is between 15 to 30 .C, whereas temperature of 20 to 25’C is favourable for seedling growth.

Generally, high temperatures favor bulbing and curing. However, in cases of extremely high temperatures, maturity is hastened and bulbs do not grow to maximum size hence lowering yields.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:10am On Nov 15, 2014
Soils; fertile, well drained soils are good for plant growth. The optimum pH is between 6 to 7.5

Water; incase of irrigation, drip or overhead irrigation can be used.

Onions at bulbing stage need a substantial amount of water.

Excessive moisture, however, must be avoided during growing season.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:11am On Nov 15, 2014
Manure: avoid too much application of fresh manure, as this will cause the plant to develop thick neck and too much leaf at the expense of bulb formation. Fresh manure could also host important insect pests.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:19am On Nov 15, 2014
Nutrient management

Sufficiently rotten manure should be applied. 17 to 26 ton/acre is recommended for high bulb yield.

Appropriate planting fertilizer should be put during planting. Soil analysis should be done to ascertain the major soil properties e.g. soil pH

Top dressing fertilizer is applied one month after planting
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:20am On Nov 15, 2014
Crop husbandry

Weeding; can be done by use of hand or chemical applications/herbicides. Mulching can also be done to suppress the weeds

Raised beds; this improves drainage and prevents damping-off disease.

Mulching; maintains and enriches soil organic content, prevent soil borne diseases and suppress weeds.

Crop rotation; this is important to avoid build-up of pests and diseases e.g. nematodes, Fusarium and Sclerotium
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:22am On Nov 15, 2014
Insect pests

Important insect pests that attack onions include; Thrips, Whiteflies and Aphids and would require insecticide applications.

Thrips are more severe in dry seasons. Hence one should keep the plants well irrigated at such seasons.

One can reduce pests’ populations by pulling out weeds since the act as alternate hosts for the pests.

Chemical applications can also be made i.e. insecticide.

Plants extracts have also been used and prove to be effective. I.e. Neem and Garlic extracts. These are sprayed on attacked plant parts. The plants extracts should be tested for phytotoxicity before any applications are made.

Chemical Applications

Fungicides; this can be classified as curative or protective fungicides.

Protective fungicides are chemicals which have the Active Ingredient

Mancozeb e.g. Milthane, Oshothane, Dithane, e.t.c. This is applied when weather conditions would likely to favour development of the disease i.e. blights.

Curative fungicides are applied to plants that are already infected by the fungal diseases e.g. Pink Rot, Purple blotch and blights (early & late blight).

In this case, applications are made on the infected regions i.e. bulbs, stems.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:23am On Nov 15, 2014
Foliar feeds;

This is applied mainly at the vegetative stage of the plant especially foliar high in Nitrogen. Foliar feeds applications results in vigorous growth of plants. In onions, a balance foliar feed enhances bulb formation and hence quality grade onions. Example of a balanced foliar feed is Omex, Mastargro

A Calcium spray enhances bulb formation. This is because Calcium is crucial for structural development of the bulbs as the cell wall gets tightened such that the spores (sporangia) don’t penetrate; hence improving its tolerance to diseases. An example of calcium spray is Citicalmag.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:25am On Nov 15, 2014
Harvesting

Harvesting can be done as from 90 to 150 days after sowing. The onions are ready for harvest when the leaves collapse. The necks can be twisted and its leaves bent over and left to dry for 10 to 12 days or less depending on whether conditions.

The crop is pulled out by hand and kept for some days in the field with bulbs covered with leaves.

This is called windowing/curing process.

Leaves are then cut off and the mature bulbs stored.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 6:25am On Nov 15, 2014
Nutritional value of onions.

Rich in vitamin B’s, rich in Enzymes used in digestion and it has high level of sulphur-that is highly absorbed in blood then to lungs having an effect on respiratory organs.

High in Niacin; It helps the digestive system function, healthy skin and nerves and promotes a normal appetite.

It is important for converting calories from protein, fat and carbohydrates into energy through the effect of Niacin.

It also contains a vegetable hormone-glycoqune that gives onion effects on reducing blood sugar. The hormone stimulate gastrointestinal juices hence promoting digestion

Rich in Flavonoids; blocks the oxidation of fat in the blood hence prevent hypertension, improve blood circulation and prevent cardiac problems

It is a remedy for respiratory problems due to sulphur that has effects to break heavy mucous
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 8:57am On Nov 15, 2014
Someone asked this question on whattapps so I dicided to share the answer with everyone here
QUESTION
I would like to grow half an acre of red bulb onions. Kindly advise on how much seed I will need.

ANSWER
A half acre land is about 2000 square meters. That's about 45 m by 45 m. If you plant the seeds 2.5cm apart, then that's 1800 seeds per row. And if you space the rows 38cm apart, then that's 118 rows. That adds up to about 212,000 seeds. At 325 seeds per gram, that's a little over a half a kilogram of seeds for that space. Assuming every seed sprouts. Good Luck!
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 5:26am On Nov 17, 2014
smithboela:
I reside in lagos, please how can I get this seed, especially watermelon,okra and carrot seed.
Call me on 08065220075
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 5:28am On Nov 17, 2014
smartoskie:

I also like to know how profitable vegetable farming can be this season especially with irrigation.
Do cucumber or potatoes
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by smartoskie(m): 10:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
world1:

Do cucumber or potatoes

Is cucumber more profitable/marketable than ugu and ewedu?. i have about three acres of farm land with irrigation system.
Re: How To Grow Dry Season Vegetables Successfully With Pictures by world1(m): 8:49pm On Nov 20, 2014
smartoskie:

Is cucumber more profitable/marketable than ugu and ewedu?. i have about three acres of farm land with irrigation system.
Don't even talk about ewedu
Cucumber is faster
But both are superb

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Huge Python Killed By A Farmer In Calabar (Photo) / Vertical Sack Farming Made Easy / Practical Guide To Profitable Marketing Of Agric Products In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.