Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,045 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health (15995 Views)

Minister Of Health Was Previously Sacked For Fraud / Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerians Quality Of Health / Pharmacists: The Drug Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by NaMe4: 10:11am On Jul 13, 2014
Now I'm really getting tired of these baseless arguments.

The so-called senior colleagues in this Johesu group know the limitations and restrictions of these 'consultant Bleep' in these handful of Countries they love citing every second.

I would advise they desist from presenting half-truths to the public in order to gain sympathy online.

Anybody can be a consultant in any field, even a dry cleaner. It is whether the creation of such appointment in a hospital or clinic would make any sense at all.

First of all, I have never seen where someone would be fully employed and still be a consultant in the same job.

Secondly, would the consultant pharmacist have to check every drug prescription from an outpatient clinic? What exactly would be his job description in the hospital?
Consultant pharmacists I know are those who consult in sectors like production, research and their services are employed taking into consideration evident academic qualification of the candidate to be appointed for the specific purpose.

I don't even see any sense in a pharmacist walking round a ward checking and rechecking the prescription of a patient placed on admission.
If the dosage has to be checked after prescription, this can be done at the point of collection of the drug at the pharmacy and if the pharmacist requires clarification regarding the dosage he would contact the doctor for that.

There are certain drugs that can be taken at certain doses for short term for certain conditions. There are certain conditions that may warrant the same drug to be taken for long term and may be at a different dose. Remember the pharmacist is not making the diagnosis and even if he is brought to see every patient for himself, he isn't trained as a doctor to know the pathophysiology, progression, complications and even varying presentations of the same condition!
So what the hell is he occupying space in the ward for? Not to talk of unnecessarily altering prescriptions which would definitely be inevitable and definitely affect the patient's management.

Please, I think every person should genuinely think of improving his own field, with innovative solutions to our healthcare problems instead of all these funny arguments.

If it is about better welfare, working conditions and renumeration, everyone knows the healthcare professionals are poorly paid in Nigeria. That should be directed to the government who should take a bold step for onve to do the right thing. Reduce the cost of governance, divert appropriate funds to the development of key sectors and tackle corruption head-on without fear or favour.

7 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 10:13am On Jul 13, 2014
adeoladrg:

Sorry to burst your bubble, it's actually a title. Why not tell an Engineer who spent 5 years in school his title is Mr? Dumb doctors sha! Vamoose jor!
bush man, you should vamoose to the bush as well, it is only in nigeria you hear pharmacist, engr, surveyor, architect in front of people's names....bunch of title loving low cerebral content twats... smh

2 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 13, 2014
sisiafrika: ur opinion wasn't sought, no one asked for ur input, neither was ur observation nor evaluation requested. Do well to pocket them. Thanks
Very distastefully done again. So you think you can talk abi? E warrior. You don't tell people when to voice their opinion on a forum. That's what makes it a forum and stop embarrassing yourself. You can't seem to string two sentences together without resorting to name calling. Very ratchet.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by sisiafrika(f): 10:15am On Jul 13, 2014
annoymous:
Very distastefully done again. So you think you can talk abi? E warrior. You don't tell people when to voice their opinion on a forum. That's what makes it a forum and stop embarrassing yourself. You can't seem to string two sentences together without resorting to name calling. Very ratchet.
tell me something new, boring. #yawns
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by sisiafrika(f): 10:17am On Jul 13, 2014
annoymous:
I, for one, am not interested in customized plate numbers and don't see the point of surgeon general and I'm sure a lot of doctors share my stand. But I don't see the point of johesu wanting to be called consultants. If you want to study further, fine. Everybody understands when they hear the 'attending' in US - very unambiguous. It helps because the patient knows who has the greatest responsibility in his care but when you start having 5 different consultants, it becomes chaotic. Of course nobody wants to earn as much as US doctors in Nigeria, that would be just plain selfish and senseless. Lastly, the even more disastrous effects of these issues are the unseen ones. All these doctors that you call names and say are no good are leaving the shores of this country and are doing well in the UK, US etc and are so not coming back meaning taxpayers money spent on training these doctors are wasted. The only losers in the long run are the average Nigerians or you think JOHESU cares about us?
but why are u people so fixed about it? Threatened or what? D sky is large for all to fly without interference, do ur tin nd I do mine. D change is come and d time is now. Capish?
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 10:18am On Jul 13, 2014
adeoladrg: And why hasn't it caused confusion in the other climes?
stop beating about the bush and give specific examples in the hospital environment abroad.... you can consult for a pharmaceutical company research wise, at the oil rig, be a consultant to a project but sorry, not in hospital
Your traditional roles have not changed... Nigerian pharmacists want to be something they weren't trained for... smh

1 Like

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by bntY: 10:20am On Jul 13, 2014
OP, I tot d above highlighted functions of a 'consultant' pharmacist is wat differentiates a pharmacist grad frm a pharmacologist.I mean d clinical touch. No?
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by PassingShot(m): 10:25am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:

When did pharmacist become a title?. You are Mr Sesan Kareem.

LWKMD here o!.

Pharm. Sesan Kareem ko, Consultant Pharm Sesan Kareem ni!
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 10:26am On Jul 13, 2014
sisiafrika: d same way most nigerian doctors have reduced demselves to paracetamol prescribers, so so disapointing. Mis diagnosis upon mis diag.... Stfu already and face ur work
what exactly do you do as a pharmacist in nigeria that is extra-ordinary? You sit arou d all day in the pharmacy issuing the paracetamol tablets that the docs have prescribed gleefully....face your boring work, shopkeeper

2 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by sisiafrika(f): 10:36am On Jul 13, 2014
dumodust:
what exactly do you do as a pharmacist in nigeria that is extra-ordinary? You sit arou d all day in the pharmacy issuing the paracetamol tablets that the docs have prescribed gleefully....face your boring work, shopkeeper
yes o. We enjoy it dat way, we never complain but some silly. Insecure people won't let us be. If e pain u, commit suicide, d point is, stop killing patients up and down. Certified killers.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by idu1(m): 10:47am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:

And u are Mrs Senseless
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 10:53am On Jul 13, 2014
ogawisdom:

If d doctors prescription is final in all medical conditions then why call a pharmacist a consultant. Wat role exactly is he expected to play or is he looking for titles without role. I believe we r on d same page nw grin

You still don't understand simple English? Smh

1 Like

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 10:55am On Jul 13, 2014
dumodust:
bush man, you should vamoose to the bush as well, it is only in nigeria you hear pharmacist, engr, surveyor, architect in front of people's names....bunch of title loving low cerebral content twats... smh

You've been noticed. You can now go back to your cage.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by bigass(f): 10:57am On Jul 13, 2014
idu1: And u are Mrs Senseless

Have you ever seen on CNN when they interview a pharmacist and refer to him/her as Pharm. Something/ Its Mr Mrs or Dr

1 Like

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by sublimes: 11:00am On Jul 13, 2014
I don't see why doctors should go on strike over this petty issue.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:00am On Jul 13, 2014
sisiafrika: yes o. We enjoy it dat way, we never complain but some silly. Insecure people won't let us be. If e pain u, commit suicide, d point is, stop killing patients up and down. Certified killers.
oh... so you admit, why argue like a fool... I bet you're one of those timid , insecure quacks with 'online' mouth...
if u are satisfied with ur dumb mediocrity and national quota job, please remain there beneath me... you can never rise above the people you constantly talk about here... now I guess thats a chilling thought eh cool
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by ogawisdom(m): 11:02am On Jul 13, 2014
adeoladrg:

You still don't understand simple English? Smh

No I think u r jst a pathological fool dt needs help
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2014
adeoladrg:

You've been noticed. You can now go back to your cage.
you're already occupying the space in the cage with ur baggage of titles... undecided
pharm. Adeola!... hahahahaha... farmer obasanjo shebi grin.... title addled brains and tribal chiefs...lol

1 Like

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:

Have you ever seen on CNN when they interview a pharmacist and refer to him/her as Pharm. Something/ Its Mr Mrs or Dr

Keep telling them... maybe they're doing it to impress their illiterate village people, the same people that will go on cooing about international best practices like they know wat it is...lol
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 11:12am On Jul 13, 2014
sublimes: I don't see why doctors should go on strike over this petty issue.

If not for fear.. It shouldn't be.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 11:18am On Jul 13, 2014
dumodust:
you're already occupying the space in the cage with ur baggage of titles... undecided
pharm. Adeola!... hahahahaha... farmer obasanjo shebi grin.... title addled brains and tribal chiefs...lol

I don't know what your problem is. You accused us of wanting to bear 'Dr' on the PharmD thread. It's a cliche for pharmacists to address themselves as Pharm This. And if this bothers you, you can jump into the nearest lagoon!

That said, you doctors always think and say someone clamouring for Better practice is doing it for the sake of the TITLE or SALARY. What if you were in the same position? Would you just sit there and remain irrelevant? I'm tired.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 11:21am On Jul 13, 2014
ogawisdom:

No I think u r jst a pathological fool dt needs help

Okay.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by armadeo(m): 11:33am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:
In other news, The CMD of LUTH Mrs Cassey Agreh, A consultant Nurse, has fired all the Gynecologist in LUTH for insubordination and incompetence owing to refusal of the gynecologists to reply the query she issued them 2 weeks ago. Medical news headlines in few years time

Make all nurses consultants and CMDs We will love it.

grin grin grin
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by adeoladrg(m): 11:35am On Jul 13, 2014
NaMe4: Now I'm really getting tired of these baseless arguments.

The so-called senior colleagues in this Johesu group know the limitations and restrictions of these 'consultant Bleep' in these handful of Countries they love citing every second.

I would advise they desist from presenting half-truths to the public in order to gain sympathy online.

Anybody can be a consultant in any field, even a dry cleaner. It is whether the creation of such appointment in a hospital or clinic would make any sense at all.

First of all, I have never seen where someone would be fully employed and still be a consultant in the same job.

Secondly, would the consultant pharmacist have to check every drug prescription from an outpatient clinic? What exactly would be his job description in the hospital?
Consultant pharmacists I know are those who consult in sectors like production, research and their services are employed taking into consideration evident academic qualification of the candidate to be appointed for the specific purpose.

I don't even see any sense in a pharmacist walking round a ward checking and rechecking the prescription of a patient placed on admission.
If the dosage has to be checked after prescription, this can be done at the point of collection of the drug at the pharmacy and if the pharmacist requires clarification regarding the dosage he would contact the doctor for that.

There are certain drugs that can be taken at certain doses for short term for certain conditions. There are certain conditions that may warrant the same drug to be taken for long term and may be at a different dose. Remember the pharmacist is not making the diagnosis and even if he is brought to see every patient for himself, he isn't trained as a doctor to know the pathophysiology, progression, complications and even varying presentations of the same condition!
So what the hell is he occupying space in the ward for? Not to talk of unnecessarily altering prescriptions which would definitely be inevitable and definitely affect the patient's management.

Please, I think every person should genuinely think of improving his own field, with innovative solutions to our healthcare problems instead of all these funny arguments.

If it is about better welfare, working conditions and renumeration, everyone knows the healthcare professionals are poorly paid in Nigeria. That should be directed to the government who should take a bold step for onve to do the right thing. Reduce the cost of governance, divert appropriate funds to the development of key sectors and tackle corruption head-on without fear or favour.

You brought a brilliant argument, which I expected from a brilliant doctor.

About them consulting, you need to know that consultant status is not exclusively for therapeutic fields, it's very diverse. From community to industry to the psychiatric homes to the hospitals.

Somehow, I'm disappointed with your 7th paragraph. If you were a MD, you would know what they call therapeutic monitoring. I admit it's strange to you Nigerian medics that why I'm not surprised by your ignorant contributions.

The key part of your argument says:
Remember the pharmacist is not making the diagnosis and even if he is brought to see every patient for himself, he isn't trained as a doctor to know the pathophysiology, progression, complications and even varying presentations of the same condition!

Yes! Pharmacists are trained in pathology, pathophysiology, progression, complications of the conditions. For those that acquired the PharmD degree. Then undergoing residency is even more training in that same aspect. Pls use Google!

3 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by plendil: 11:40am On Jul 13, 2014
FIGHT! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!!

E don do naaa. . . Haba!! shocked shocked

This is actually my first post on this matter. I have kept a steady silence, observing from sidelines, [s]not because my babe is a pharmacist - their babes can fine sha!![/s], but because I see the whole episode as totally unnecessary, distracting, and not auguring well for the progress of the health sector.

The truth is, and if doctors and all health worker should be sincere, both camps, NMA and JOHESU, have a lot of inordinate, unreasonable, unjustifiable and downright ridiculous demands.

Let me start with that of my colleagues: Surgeon general, special number plate, overseas training, etc, are clearly frivolous. Are these the most pressing issues besetting the health sector??

as for Johesu lets face it: The consultancy thingy which I gather is the most contentious. Adeola has done a fairly good job trying to explain its merits, but I have to say I'm not convinced that is what we need right now. How different is it from the pharm d thing? Other equally unreasonable demands include equality of pay with doctors, headship of hospitals, etc.

I think the FG is also not helping matters. Why the apparent silence over the issue? Pls the fighting is enough ooo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by Xtranoble: 11:44am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:

Are you serious, you ain't aware pharmacist are addressed as Pharm.? added to their names. just wondering which planet you are in.
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by patpeypey: 11:46am On Jul 13, 2014
Well this doctors and juhesu(forgive me if i misspelt it), don tire me ooo! It's only one question I have. When we patients come to the hospital who do we come to see? I dont know about others but i come to see a doctor and then get sent to the lab and lastly the pharmacists. Please there r more important things than all this bickering! Its simple as ABC.. Law clerk can not be judge, a flight technician cannot be a pilot, etc. therefore Johesu (again forgive me if i misspelt it) can't be cmd na!
Drs hope una don read now plssssss go back to work.

3 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:52am On Jul 13, 2014
adeoladrg:

I don't know what your problem is. You accused us of wanting to bear 'Dr' on the PharmD thread. It's a cliche for pharmacists to address themselves as Pharm This. And if this bothers you, you can jump into the nearest lagoon!

That said, you doctors always think and say someone clamouring for Better practice is doing it for the sake of the TITLE or SALARY. What if you were in the same position? Would you just sit there and remain irrelevant? I'm tired.
so, pharm, a cliche according to you, is now formal shebi? grin... yes or no... lol...
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by Mishydoo(m): 11:53am On Jul 13, 2014
Its a pity where this country is heading...! I strongly suggest we privatise the health sector,in this way we'll be too busy fighting each oda and focus ȱȠ our duties!
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:54am On Jul 13, 2014
Xtranoble:

Are you serious, you ain't aware pharmacist are addressed as Pharm.? added to their names. just wondering which planet you are in.
you my friend are in the nigerian created planet...lol, pharm ko, farmer ni grin
Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by dumodust(m): 11:54am On Jul 13, 2014
Mishydoo: Its a pity where this country is heading...! I strongly suggest we privatise the health sector,in this way we'll be too busy fighting each oda and focus ȱȠ our duties!
I completely agree with you

2 Likes

Re: Consultant Pharmacists; The Impetus For Improved Nigerian Quality Of Health by franklininu: 11:55am On Jul 13, 2014
bigass:

stop spiting nonsense if u dont know what to say.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do You Also Get Unusually Dehydrated Of Late? / COVID-19 Update For January 21 2021 In Nigeria / Strange Disease Kills 50 In Jigawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.