Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. - Culture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (66921 Views)

‘Tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba ~ Azuka Onwuka / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 7:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
PenSniper:

Your long post is an attempt to rewrite history plus mere insinuations.
No. 1) That the coup plotters wanted to install Awolowo as head of govt. is fallacy. None of those concerned who have written books on the coup ever mentioned such and you cannot claim to know more than them. Again, Awolowo was in prison for the duration before the northern reprisal coup without Ironsi and his igbo cohorts calling the shots releasing him. To prove that it was Igbo coup, why did they kill all other regional leaders leaving only Igbo leaders- Azikiwe and Okpara - by Ifeajuna ? Ibo-Ibo - we-we ? Please try and find another lie to peddle. This doesnt jell and is meant for the trash can.
3) What has the declaration of those republics fetched for their people ? Nothing. Ojukwu turned lily-livered and chicken-hearted and abandoned his people to their peril having taken them midstream like an army deserter !! A colonel my foot. It takes people with brains and brawns for meticulous plans before taking the plunge into the unknown neither of which qualities the Igbo have but which are not lacking in the,Yoruba. I've lost count of the number of times MASSOB and the Biafrian Zionists have issued toothless ultimatums with no action to back it up. Its always better to make a bluff that can be backed up if called. That is the stuff of which the Yoruba is made which many do not know. Like they say, its not by gra-gra. Let me remind you that the Igbos are spread out everywhere like bees because of two main reasons - a) their ingrained, morbid craze for expansionism and, b) they are the biblical Cain who were cursed by God to be perpetual wanderers. Cain killed sleep and rest by murdering Abel. The Igbos killed peace and unity in Nigeria through the first coup. Ifeajuna turned his back on his colleagues, warned Zik of Onitsha and Okpara, disguised himself in female clothing, and fled. Ironsi, Ojukwu and co. imposed a unitary system of govt. on the country preparatory to enslaving other regions. Zik later turned against biafra and hobnobed with the FG. It seems deserting ones own people is hereditary in Igbos.

You are the ignorant one. Like I said before,most of the officer corps at the time were Igbos. It would have been near on impossible to conduct a coup and Igbos would not be heavily involved. You conveniently called it an Igbo coup even though 2 of the major ring leaders were Yorubas. Why didn't you call it an Igbo/Yoruba coup? Also is the fact that unlike all other coups that followed,the coup plotters did not want power for themselves. They only wanted to remove the bad "eggs".You can go on YouTube and and search about that coup and see what the conspirators confessed to while in jail,they wanted Awolowo in charge. You asked why the coup plotters didn't kill other people from the east? Well for starters,neither Zik or Okpara were in town then,Infact,Zik was abroad at the time on official assignment. Also, the GOC of the Nigerian Army at the time,Ironsi,an Igbo man was targeted. It was Victor Banjos duty to kill Ironsi but he goofed. Victor Banjo was arrested as he made his way to Ironsi's bed chamber in dead of the night with a corked machine gun. Why would they want to kill Ironsi if this was an Igbo coup? Who even stopped this coup? Wasn't Igbo soldiers like Ironsi,Nwawo and Ojukwu?This connotation that it was an Igbo coup is baseless. Even if for the sake of aguement that this was an Igbo coup,can the Igbo nation be blamed for the actions of a few officers? I think not. You said that the declaration of republics has led nowhere,of course it had led no where because the Yorubas have always colluded with northerners to scuttle it each time. The fact that Yorubas want to be slaves to 'one Nigeria' doesn't mean that the rest of us want the same.The attempt at freedom is one of the greatest life choices a people can make and the fact that Yorubas have consistently thrown away their sovereignty (first to the British and now to the northerners) is exactly why most Igbos think that cowardice is an inherent trait amongst the Yorubas. Your so called "It takes people with brains and brawns for meticulous plans before taking the plunge into the unknown " is a speech worthy of a true coward. In almost 55 years of nationhood,we have massive corruption,incompetence in government and over 60% living below the porverty line and you Yorubas are still trying to figure out the unknown with your brains and brawns? Real swell! You also criticised people like MASSOB and BZM for their attempts at demanding freedom for Igbos. For a people like Yorubas who are yet to emancipate themselves from the mental bondage that is Nigeria,what these people are doing will look silly. Yet against the incessant crack down by Nigerian officials,these groups continue their agitation to their GOd given right to self determination. Nothing could be more noble. One last thing I want to add is this "Ojukwu ran away" statement people keep harping about all the time. When it looked like the war would be lost,many Biafran officers decided that they would continue guerrilla warfare rather than capitulate. If Ojukwu had not stepped aside,the war might have still been on now. If Ojukwu had stayed back to be slaughtered,many die hard Biafran soldiers would have fought to the death and a blood bath would have happened on an even bigger scale. Ojukwu left and Biafra surrendered the next day bringing peace. A soldier who lives,lives to fight another day. Someday,I hope the Yoruba nation will revive the spirit of an Oduduwa country because Nigeria is already a lost cause but until then,Igbos and Yorubas will always view each other with mutual suspicion and contempt

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 10:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
[quote author=zendy]

You are the ignorant one. Like I said before,most of the officer corps at the time were Igbos. It would have been near on impossible to conduct a coup and Igbos would not be heavily involved. You conveniently called it an Igbo coup even though 2 of the major ring leaders were Yorubas. Why didn't you call it an Igbo/Yoruba coup? Also is the fact that unlike all other coups that followed,the coup plotters did not want power for themselves. They only wanted to remove the bad "eggs".You can go on YouTube and and search about that coup and see what the conspirators confessed to while in jail,they wanted Awolowo in charge. You asked why the coup plotters didn't kill other people from the east? Well for starters,neither Zik or Okpara were in town then,Infact,Zik was abroad at the time on official assignment. Also, the GOC of the Nigerian Army at the time,Ironsi,an Igbo man was targeted. It was Victor Banjos duty to kill Ironsi but he goofed. Victor Banjo was arrested as he made his way to Ironsi's bed chamber in dead of the night with a corked machine gun. Why would they want to kill Ironsi if this was an Igbo coup? Who even stopped this coup? Wasn't Igbo soldiers like Ironsi,Nwawo and Ojukwu?This connotation that it was an Igbo coup is baseless. Even if for the sake of aguement that this was an Igbo coup,can the Igbo nation be blamed for the actions of a few officers? I think not. You said that the declaration of republics has led nowhere,of course it had led no where because the Yorubas have always colluded with northerners to scuttle it each time. The fact that Yorubas want to be slaves to 'one Nigeria' doesn't mean that the rest of us want the same.The attempt at freedom is one of the greatest life choices a people can make and the fact that Yorubas have consistently thrown away their sovereignty (first to the British and now to the northerners) is exactly why most Igbos think that cowardice is an inherent trait amongst the Yorubas. Your so called "It takes people with brains and brawns for meticulous plans before taking the plunge into the unknown " is a speech worthy of a true coward. In almost 55 years of nationhood,we have massive corruption,incompetence in government and over 60% living below the porverty line and you Yorubas are still trying to figure out the unknown with your brains and brawns? Real swell! You also criticised people like MASSOB and BZM for their attempts at demanding freedom for Igbos. For a people like Yorubas who are yet to emancipate themselves from the mental bondage that is Nigeria,what these people are doing will look silly. Yet against the incessant crack down by Nigerian officials,these groups continue their agitation to their GOd given right to self determination. Nothing could be more noble. One last thing I want to add is this "Ojukwu ran away" statement people keep harping about all the time. When it looked like the war would be lost,many Biafran officers decided that they would continue guerrilla warfare rather than capitulate. If Ojukwu had not stepped aside,the war might have still been on now. If Ojukwu had stayed back to be slaughtered,many die hard Biafran soldiers would have fought to the death and a blood bath would have happened on an even bigger scale. Ojukwu left and Biafra surrendered the next day bringing peace. A soldier who lives,lives to fight another day. Someday,I hope the Yoruba nation will revive the spirit of an Oduduwa country because Nigeria is already a lost cause but until then,Igbos and Yorubas will always view each other with mutual suspicion and contempt
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by smartoliver(m): 10:12pm On Jul 18, 2014
The battle line is drawn,oya make una fight...AWOLOWO vs OJUKWU...na una know una problem
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
PenSniper:

One thing i cannot deny you is this - you certainly know how to make excuses for faults and failures. It also baffles me that with your assumed education, you can refer to any group of people with brains and brawns cowards. Is your problem that of mischief or half-literacy ? What further bloodbath could have been more than occured under Ojukwu's watch ? Ifeajuna, Banjo and co. saw the handwriting early and wanted to prevent it only for the tyranical Ojukwu to execute them.
The Ibos may continue to blame the Yorubas for their woes out of ignorance but the latter owe them no apology whatsoever. Rather, its the Ibos that have proved to be ingrates. Though

yorubas lack brains n brawns in all ramifications, please can u tell us what u have done for this nation other than creating hatred?
the zengy guy beat u hands down and u are yet to address his last post accordingly.
Banjo was determined to go n kill ironsi but was caught and u are here telling me he saw some handwriting.
Truth is, 2 yorubas were involved in the plan but they failed in their attempts not that they backed out.
It wasn't an Igbo coup.
Its only outsiders u can confuse with ur age long cowardice in the name of brawn theory.
Nigeria has been bedeviled with problems, yet a Yoruba is yet to solve one.
Brain indeed

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 11:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
zendy:

One thing i cannot deny you is this - you certainly know how to make excuses for faults and failures. It also baffles me that with your assumed education, you can refer to any group of people with brains and brawns as cowards. Is your problem that of mischief or half-literacy ? What further bloodbath could have been more than occured under Ojukwu's watch ? Ifeajuna, Banjo and co. saw the handwriting early and wanted to prevent it only for the tyranical Ojukwu to execute them.
The Ibos may continue to blame the Yorubas for their woes out of ignorance but the latter owe them no apology whatsoever. Rather, its the Ibos that have proved to be ingrates. Although i was very young during the war but i had a mental awareness of some events because i always listened to the news, read the newspapers and listened to elders discourse the events. So for some reasons, the Yorubas may never forgive the Ibos for their ingratitude. 1) In my area of Fadeyi on Ikorodu Rd, Lagos, i knew many Ibo men that decided to stay put in Lagos and were shielded by our people. They were fed throughout the period the war lasted. At a time, northern soldiers were conducting house-to-house search for Ibos but our people never for once betrayed them. 2) Those that heeded the call to return home handed their property over to Yoruba friends/neighbours. They had their property, complete with arrears of rent returned to them after the war. In other words, no surviving Ibo lost his property in the entire South West. 3) Messrs Tai Solarin and Wole Soyinka risked their lives supplying food aids to Biafran civilians for a period of time. 4) Against all wise counsel and at the risk of his life, Awolowo went to the east to persuade Ojukwu to have a rethink and prevent bloodshed to no avail. 5) Some of the Ibos that were shielded by our people treacherously planted the first bomb at a cinema house at Ebutte Meta in a residential area populated by the Yoruba. 6) Victor Banjo fought on the biafra side only to be executed by Ojukwu for wanting to stop further killing of Ibos in particular. Some of your leaders who know the truth prefered to keep silent while mischief-makers were writing rubbish just to plant the seed of hatred between the two nations. But i expect discerning Ibos to understand the import of the statements made by the following leaders about the person of Awolowo. a) "Awo was the best president Nigeria never had -Ojukwu (he wasn't playing to the galley). b) Chief Michael Okpara said - that he would forever regret the fact that he was one of those who didn't allow Azikiwe to work with Awolowo. He said he realised it too late, saying that a lot of pitfalls would've been prevented and much good achieved. The Ibos may continue with their tirades against the Yoruba but we prefer that our enemies should .under-estimate us. Read our history and you will discover that we are a nation of warriors - every component part of Yoruba Land.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 11:32pm On Jul 18, 2014
Evergreen123:

yorubas lack brains n brawns in all ramifications, please can u tell us what u have done for this nation other than creating hatred?
the zengy guy beat u hands down and u are yet to address his last post accordingly.
Banjo was determined to go n kill ironsi but was caught and u are here telling me he saw some handwriting.
Truth is, 2 yorubas were involved in the plan but they failed in their attempts not that they backed out.
It wasn't an Igbo coup.
Its only outsiders u can confuse with ur age long cowardice in the name of brawn theory.
Nigeria has been bedeviled with problems, yet a Yoruba is yet to solve one.
Brain indeed

I congratulate you for scoring A+ in rashness, stupidity, chickishness and incoherence in school. Make sure you pass it down your family tree. However, let me advise you that when enlightened and level-headed people,are in a discourse, it pays people of your low cognitive reasoning to stand aside and learn.

6 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 19, 2014
PenSniper:

I congratulate you for scoring A+ in rashness, stupidity, chickishness and incoherence in school. Make sure you pass it down your family tree. However, let me advise you that when enlightened and level-headed people,are in a discourse, it pays people of your low cognitive reasoning to stand aside and learn.

u see am?

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 9:46am On Jul 19, 2014
Evergreen123:

u see am?

Nna, i see am bo. Biko.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 3:18pm On Jul 24, 2014
PenSniper:

One thing i cannot deny you is this - you certainly know how to make excuses for faults and failures. It also baffles me that with your assumed education, you can refer to any group of people with brains and brawns as cowards. Is your problem that of mischief or half-literacy ? What further bloodbath could have been more than occured under Ojukwu's watch ? Ifeajuna, Banjo and co. saw the handwriting early and wanted to prevent it only for the tyranical Ojukwu to execute them.
The Ibos may continue to blame the Yorubas for their woes out of ignorance but the latter owe them no apology whatsoever. Rather, its the Ibos that have proved to be ingrates. Although i was very young during the war but i had a mental awareness of some events because i always listened to the news, read the newspapers and listened to elders discourse the events. So for some reasons, the Yorubas may never forgive the Ibos for their ingratitude. 1) In my area of Fadeyi on Ikorodu Rd, Lagos, i knew many Ibo men that decided to stay put in Lagos and were shielded by our people. They were fed throughout the period the war lasted. At a time, northern soldiers were conducting house-to-house search for Ibos but our people never for once betrayed them. 2) Those that heeded the call to return home handed their property over to Yoruba friends/neighbours. They had their property, complete with arrears of rent returned to them after the war. In other words, no surviving Ibo lost his property in the entire South West. 3) Messrs Tai Solarin and Wole Soyinka risked their lives supplying food aids to Biafran civilians for a period of time. 4) Against all wise counsel and at the risk of his life, Awolowo went to the east to persuade Ojukwu to have a rethink and prevent bloodshed to no avail. 5) Some of the Ibos that were shielded by our people treacherously planted the first bomb at a cinema house at Ebutte Meta in a residential area populated by the Yoruba. 6) Victor Banjo fought on the biafra side only to be executed by Ojukwu for wanting to stop further killing of Ibos in particular. Some of your leaders who know the truth prefered to keep silent while mischief-makers were writing rubbish just to plant the seed of hatred between the two nations. But i expect discerning Ibos to understand the import of the statements made by the following leaders about the person of Awolowo. a) "Awo was the best president Nigeria never had -Ojukwu (he wasn't playing to the galley). b) Chief Michael Okpara said - that he would forever regret the fact that he was one of those who didn't allow Azikiwe to work with Awolowo. He said he realised it too late, saying that a lot of pitfalls would've been prevented and much good achieved. The Ibos may continue with their tirades against the Yoruba but we prefer that our enemies should .under-estimate us. Read our history and you will discover that we are a nation of warriors - every component part of Yoruba Land.

I don't know what you mean by 'making excuses for Igbo faults and failures' and I really don't care. One thing I do know is that Biafra was a just cause. It is an inalienable right of anyone to decide if they want to be Nigerian or not and for whatever reason. Igbos are not bound to Yorubas or Northerners by any celestial creed. Nigeria is nothing but a 'slave labour camp' created by the British for administrative convenience. Maybe some Yorubas were abhorred by the senseless slaughter of easterners prelude to the war and actually helped but this pales into insignificance with the many thousands that were killed in the wave after wave of program's across the north and the west. I actually believe that Awolowo might have made a good leader but I doubt that a federation of the east and west would have lasted long if it ever was. It is my fervent belief that the relationship between the Yorubas and Igbos will never be a good one as long as we remain 'Nigerians' because we will always be engaged in a battle of supremacy which will only breed mutual contempt and suspicion. Igbos and Yorubas are 2 ethnic groups that are both in excess of 30 million each. Far more populous than most nations of the earth. To bring these two diverse people together under one banner called 'Nigeria' is an invitation to disaster (Our 55 years as a nation is testament to this). Nigeria is simply not workable. It might have worked when we allowed our colonial masters to lord over us but when they left,we just could not lord over our selves. The only thing that will Forster a good relationship between Igbos and Yorubas is if we have our own individual nations. That's when we will have something to relate about without the fear of one trying to dominate the other. Nigeria is a disastrous 55 year old mistake and the sooner we accept this,the better for future Yoruba/Igbo relationship

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 6:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
zendy:

I don't know what you mean by 'making excuses for Igbo faults and failures' and I really don't care. One thing I do know is that Biafra was a just cause. It is an inalienable right of anyone to decide if they want to be Nigerian or not and for whatever reason. Igbos are not bound to Yorubas or Northerners by any celestial creed. Nigeria is nothing but a 'slave labour camp' created by the British for administrative convenience. Maybe some Yorubas were abhorred by the senseless slaughter of easterners prelude to the war and actually helped but this pales into insignificance with the many thousands that were killed in the wave after wave of program's across the north and the west. I actually believe that Awolowo might have made a good leader but I doubt that a federation of the east and west would have lasted long if it ever was. It is my fervent belief that the relationship between the Yorubas and Igbos will never be a good one as long as we remain 'Nigerians' because we will always be engaged in a battle of supremacy which will only breed mutual contempt and suspicion. Igbos and Yorubas are 2 ethnic groups that are both in excess of 30 million each. Far more populous than most nations of the earth. To bring these two diverse people together under one banner called 'Nigeria' is an invitation to disaster (Our 55 years as a nation is testament to this). Nigeria is simply not workable. It might have worked when we allowed our colonial masters to lord over us but when they left,we just could not lord over our selves. The only thing that will Forster a good relationship between Igbos and Yorubas is if we have our own individual nations. That's when we will have something to relate about without the fear of one trying to dominate the other. Nigeria is a disastrous 55 year old mistake and the sooner we accept this,the better for future Yoruba/Igbo relationship

Indeed i agree with all your assertions except the claim that there was pogrom in the West. How do you mean ?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 10:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
PenSniper:

Indeed i agree with all your assertions except the claim that there was pogrom in the West. How do you mean ?
Guy don't waste your time arguing with this dude who obviously doesn't know Nigerian History. The dead giveaway was his claim that Banjo was part of the coup plot of January 1966; when everybody that knows history will tell you that Banjo had been in detention long after January 1966 coup on a completely unrelated matter.

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Rashdimuh(m): 10:11am On Jul 25, 2014
How come you igbo folks didn't mention how ojukwu killed victor banjo a young father, and how his troops killed like 40 italians then, pple by gone is by gone, we shld mv 4wd and stp blivin craps how fathers fed us with.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 1:14pm On Jul 26, 2014
Rashdimuh: How come you igbo folks didn't mention how ojukwu killed victor banjo a young father, and how his troops killed like 40 italians then, pple by gone is by gone, we shld mv 4wd and stp blivin craps how fathers fed us with.

On Victor Banjo. I suggest you search for written by Ben Odogwu (I forget the title), a young Biafran intelligence officer. Victor Banjo,Ifeajuna hatched a plot to remove Ojukwu. They tried to recruit mr Odogwu into the plot but unknown to them,Odogwu's loyalty lay with Ojukwu. Odogwu secretly tape recorded the meetings were Ifeajuna,Banjo,Agbam and Alele discussed the coup plot to remove Ojukwu. The reasons why they wanted remove Ojukwu is topic for another day but the pertinent thing to understand is that anyone who try's or even plots to remove a military head of state faces execution if they fail,no matter how good their intentions were. This is common knowledge. Victor Banjo was arrested,tried and executed for plotting a coup.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 1:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
PenSniper:

There was progrom in the west. It may not have been acute as the one in the north but it still happend anyway.Easterners were slaughtered in Ibadan and Lagos.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 26, 2014
Lies where is the recording today? Ibos are fond of just making any kind of story up to rewrite history as they please. Why were all the Ibo leaders spared in the January 1966 coup whilst others were murdered. When Ironsi was in power why did he abrogate the regional structure. A lot of Ibos who keep shouting Aburi forget that it was Ironsi who removed the power of different regions to control their space because it benefitted them by promulgating decree 34 They made records Ewu be na akwa abusing everyone and were jolly. When there was a reaction and they lost out then and only then did they know Nigeria was evil. Why did Ojukwu march on Lagos. What about the crimes and looting in Benin
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 1:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
logica: Guy don't waste your time arguing with this dude who obviously doesn't know Nigerian History. The dead giveaway was his claim that Banjo was part of the coup plot of January 1966; when everybody that knows history will tell you that Banjo had been in detention long before January 1966 on a completely unrelated matter.

If what you are saying is true then tell me how Victor Banjo ended up in the cell block in Enugu prison were the coup plotters like Nzeogwu,Nwobodi and rest were kept? Don't twist things around. Victor Banjo was the highest ranking officer involved in that coup and he was much senior to Nzeogwu. Chances are that Victor Banjo might have even led that coup,who knows?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2014
zendy:

If what you are saying is true then tell me how Victor Banjo ended up in the cell block in Enugu prison were the coup plotters like Nzeogwu,Nwobodi and rest were kept? Don't twist things around. Victor Banjo was the highest ranking officer involved in that coup and he was much senior to Nzeogwu. Chances are that Victor Banjo might have even led that coup,who knows?
Ogbeni go and sleep. Your history revision f00ls no one but yourself and you are proving to be a clown and no more. If you do want to know why Victor Banjo was in Enugu prison find a proper book to read rather than making wild leaps to conclusion.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by PenSniper: 8:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
zendy:

There was progrom in the west. It may not have been acute as the one in the north but it still happend anyway.Easterners were slaughtered in Ibadan and Lagos.

You are quite free to keep swimming in falsehood and fantasy to buoy yourself up in hatred. Its your kettle of fish.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 12:31pm On Jul 31, 2014
logica: Ogbeni go and sleep. Your history revision f00ls no one but yourself and you are proving to be a clown and no more. If you do want to know why Victor Banjo was in Enugu prison find a proper book to read rather than making wild leaps to conclusion.

I don't say what I don't know. If several books say the same thing without anyone refuting it the an element of the truth exists somewhere. Although this thread is about Yoruba/Igbo relationship,you can't distort history and the involvement of senior Yoruba officers in the first coup in Nigeria. Read this link below and learn.

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/6080/1/Ojukwu-The-Megalomaniac-And-Demagogue-Really/Page1.html
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
Did Ibos not fight against Biafra,for Nigeria? There are many Ibos who remained in the Nigerian Army during the war. So what?? The point is Ibos are very happy to accuse ALL Yorubas for what they believe Awo did to them. By a similar token they must accept blame for what Ibo officers did on January 15 1966.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 3:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
zendy:

I don't say what I don't know. If several books say the same thing without anyone refuting it the an element of the truth exists somewhere. Although this thread is about Yoruba/Igbo relationship,you can't distort history and the involvement of senior Yoruba officers in the first coup in Nigeria. Read this link below and learn.

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/6080/1/Ojukwu-The-Megalomaniac-And-Demagogue-Really/Page1.html
Lol. Once again you are a clown. I'm supposed to learn from your fellow delusional Igbo right? I don't think you need books; psychiatric treatment would be more appropriate.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 10:50am On Aug 01, 2014
logica: Lol. Once again you are a clown. I'm supposed to learn from your fellow delusional Igbo right? I don't think you need books; psychiatric treatment would be more appropriate.

Doesn't matter,you will always be a 'Nigerian' with no sense of self determination and I will be a Biafran who knows his power of choice. The slave and the master have different trains of thought. Need anyone ask why Yorubas and Igbos will never be friends?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 10:56am On Aug 01, 2014
zendy:

Doesn't matter,you will always be a 'Nigerian' with no sense of self determination and I will be a Biafran who knows his power of choice. The slave and the master have different trains of thought. Need anyone ask why Yorubas and Igbos will never be friends?
Oh no. You miss it. I am Yoruba first, and Nigerian next. I know where I am coming from; and where I am going to because I have a history. A very rich one which I am proud of. When you don't know where you are coming from, you will have a hard time to figure where you are going to. It is not surprising the thought process of the Yoruba nation is a mystery to you; it is like a duffer trying to figure how Einstein thinks. The latter has seen things which the former has not; and can therefore reach accurate conclusions which completely baffle the former. When you know where you are coming from (as in the history of your people), alert me. Till then, have a good time.

3 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by SurePresident: 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
mainman7: These diametrically demented cacophonous toilet tissues called igbos always ululating about the Great Yorubas. Nya miri Gwongworos! Ojukwu, your acclaimed igbo lord and the greatest igbo of all time was a coward just like every other igbo and he took to his heels dressed as a female (What an height of cowardice!). The fact that igbos are fools is highly substantiated and corroborated by the fact that someone that deceived millions of igbos into being slaughtered like chickens in Biafran war (who himself ran away dressed like a woman) was being celebrated when he came back. Also during Abacha regime of tyranny, coward Ojukwu kept his mouth shut throughout. He only found his voice again when OBJ became the president. Before they left, the Colonial British Army rightly observed, that the Yorubas are the most militarily intelligent in Nigeria, especially when it comes to developing disastrously destructive military strategies. "Brain is better than brawn" Biafra was actually initially winning the war (igbos read your own history) until the Great Awolowo(a typical Yoruba Man), the ununiformed General, stepped in on the side of Nigeria and came up with the intelligent military strategy that gave Nigeria Victory over Biafra. "In warfare it's all fair". You know that Hausas only hear go! Just give the military order, they'll carry it out to the letter. Even long after Biafra had surrendered, the killing of igbos continued untill Awolowo, the greatest Nigerian Generalissimo of all time, intervened again and told the Military to allow the remaining igbos to be alive. So, you senseless igbo mofos still have the to thank the Yorubas today, understand?! "Next time you see a Yoruba man, duff your hat and bow before him!"

Period!

2 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 11:46am On Aug 04, 2014
mainman7: These diametrically demented cacophonous toilet tissues called igbos always ululating about the Great Yorubas. Nya miri Gwongworos! Ojukwu, your acclaimed igbo lord and the greatest igbo of all time was a coward just like every other igbo and he took to his heels dressed as a female (What an height of cowardice!). The fact that igbos are fools is highly substantiated and corroborated by the fact that someone that deceived millions of igbos into being slaughtered like chickens in Biafran war (who himself ran away dressed like a woman) was being celebrated when he came back. Also during Abacha regime of tyranny, coward Ojukwu kept his mouth shut throughout. He only found his voice again when OBJ became the president. Before they left, the Colonial British Army rightly observed, that the Yorubas are the most militarily intelligent in Nigeria, especially when it comes to developing disastrously destructive military strategies. "Brain is better than brawn" Biafra was actually initially winning the war (igbos read your own history) until the Great Awolowo(a typical Yoruba Man), the ununiformed General, stepped in on the side of Nigeria and came up with the intelligent military strategy that gave Nigeria Victory over Biafra. "In warfare it's all fair". You know that Hausas only hear go! Just give the military order, they'll carry it out to the letter. Even long after Biafra had surrendered, the killing of igbos continued untill Awolowo, the greatest Nigerian Generalissimo of all time, intervened again and told the Military to allow the remaining igbos to be alive. So, you senseless igbo mofos still have the to thank the Yorubas today, understand?! "Next time you see a Yoruba man, duff your hat and bow before him!"

So what was this whole write up about? To tell the whole world how the Yorubas practically enslaved themselves to the Northern Hausa/Fulani oligarchy by fighting for them? At least the Igbos were fighting for noble ideals such as an independent homeland,their right to self determination and freedom from Hausa/Fulani hegemony. The Yorubas and Awolowo on the other hand,were fighting to perpetuate the same Northerners in power. What did the so called victory bring? The war was the perfect excuse the northerners needed not only to entrench military rule,but to hold power for over 30 years. You are proud to be fighting to be the slave of another man. As for the comment on Ojukwu, no one expected Ojukwu to stay behind and become a martyr for a cause that was already lost. Same people who say that Ojukwu was a coward for leaving would have been the same people to have called the man a fool for allowing himself to be captured and killed. Yorubas were a willing tool for the Northerners subjugate Nigeria and it is shameful.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
We like our Igbo brethren but them dey practise witchcraft
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 18, 2014
zendy:

So what was this whole write up about? To tell the whole world how the Yorubas practically enslaved themselves to the Northern Hausa/Fulani oligarchy by fighting for them? At least the Igbos were fighting for noble ideals such as an independent homeland,their right to self determination and freedom from Hausa/Fulani hegemony. The Yorubas and Awolowo on the other hand,were fighting to perpetuate the same Northerners in power. What did the so called victory bring? The war was the perfect excuse the northerners needed not only to entrench military rule,but to hold power for over 30 years. You are proud to be fighting to be the slave of another man. As for the comment on Ojukwu, no one expected Ojukwu to stay behind and become a martyr for a cause that was already lost. Same people who say that Ojukwu was a coward for leaving would have been the same people to have called the man a fool for allowing himself to be captured and killed. Yorubas were a willing tool for the Northerners subjugate Nigeria and it is shameful.
In January 1966 the Ibos staged a coup and slaughtered Yoruba and Fulani politicians. They spared Zik and Okpara and not a single Ibo was killed. Another Ibo ; Ironsi took over at that point.At that stage there was no need for Ibos to fight everything was "perfect" the Hausas revenged and took over and then Ibos decided they did not want to play any more.They wanted to stop the game at half time . Where is that done Please let us play the second half!!
Now you are talking of "NOBLE IDEALS" LWKMD. Talking of entrenching military rule. Who introduced miltary rule to Nigeria? Ibos
Who cancelled federalism and introduced the UNITARY state? Ibos Who introduce the infamous Decrre 34 ? Ibos . As long as Ironsi an Ibo was in power the Ibos saw no problem but lost out and wanted to secede taking OUR OYEL?? Imagine!!
You wanted to take OUR OYEL !! Una get sense no be small
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
iwonbaoko: In January 1966 the Ibos staged a coup and slaughtered Yoruba and Fulani politicians. They spared Zik and Okpara and not a single Ibo was killed. Another Ibo ; Ironsi took over at that point.At that stage there was no need for Ibos to fight everything was "perfect" the Hausas revenged and took over and then Ibos decided they did not want to play any more.They wanted to stop the game at half time . Where is that done Please let us play the second half!!
Now you are talking of "NOBLE IDEALS" LWKMD. Talking of entrenching military rule. Who introduced miltary rule to Nigeria? Ibos
Who cancelled federalism and introduced the UNITARY state? Ibos Who introduce the infamous Decrre 34 ? Ibos . As long as Ironsi an Ibo was in power the Ibos saw no problem but lost out and wanted to secede taking OUR OYEL?? Imagine!!
You wanted to take OUR OYEL !! Una get sense no be small

Such an unintelligent write-up. For starters,it was not an Igbo coup because even Yorubas (Fajuyi,Ademoyega and Banjo were all involved at the conceptual stage)where involved. You say no Igbo died? One of the most senior Igbo officers of the time,Lt colonel Unegbe,was killed. Even Ironsi was targeted. Unlike all other coups that followed in Nigeria,it was the Nigerian Parliament that directly asked Ironsi to take over. The man wasn't even interested in the position.Less than 10 people died in the so called 'Igbo coup' ,do you know how many people died in the 'Hausa counter-coup'? Even your so called Akintola was the one who opened fire first on the coupists before he was mowed down himself. As for secession,Igbos have the God given right to secede from Nigeria any time they like,wether start time,half time or finish time. The Igbos never signed any contract about being Nigerians. As for the oil you are being melodramatic about. Who owns the oil? 'Nigeria' is the fraud that Yorubas and Notherners have used for many years to siphon away the oil wealth of the Niger-Delta people. It is because of Nigeria that the Ijaw man was told that the waters his fore- fathers have fished on for years is not theirs. Oil is why the war was fought,it is what the entire existence of Nigeria is all about,the sharing of oil booty. The people of the Niger-delta know that we Igbos are not after their oil,all five Igbo States have oil in commercial quantity and 3 of them (Abia,Anambra,Imo) are oil producing states. Let me tell you here and now that the rest of a Nigeria holds little or no economic value to the region once known as Eastern Nigeria.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 19, 2014
zendy:

Such an unintelligent write-up. For starters,it was not an Igbo coup because even Yorubas (Fajuyi,Ademoyega and Banjo were all involved at the conceptual stage)where involved. You say no Igbo died? One of the most senior Igbo officers of the time,Lt colonel Unegbe,was killed. Even Ironsi was targeted. Unlike all other coups that followed in Nigeria,it was the Nigerian Parliament that directly asked Ironsi to take over. The man wasn't even interested in the position.Less than 10 people died in the so called 'Igbo coup' ,do you know how many people died in the 'Hausa counter-coup'? Even your so called Akintola was the one who opened fire first on the coupists before he was mowed down himself. As for secession,Igbos have the God given right to secede from Nigeria any time they like,wether start time,half time or finish time. The Igbos never signed any contract about being Nigerians. As for the oil you are being melodramatic about. Who owns the oil? 'Nigeria' is the fraud that Yorubas and Notherners have used for many years to siphon away the oil wealth of the Niger-Delta people. It is because of Nigeria that the Ijaw man was told that the waters his fore- fathers have fished on for years is not theirs. Oil is why the war was fought,it is what the entire existence of Nigeria is all about,the sharing of oil booty. The people of the Niger-delta know that we Igbos are not after their oil,all five Igbo States have oil in commercial quantity and 3 of them (Abia,Anambra,Imo) are oil producing states. Let me tell you here and now that the rest of a Nigeria holds little or no economic value to the region once known as Eastern Nigeria.

You must be very young, recycling childish lies
Akintola was the one that opened fired first? SO HE DESERVED TO DIE

The refusal of the President of the Senate (Nwafor Orizu, an easterner from the NCNC - who was also acting President) to accept the appointment by the NPC dominated cabinet of an interim Prime Minister (Dipcharima, a northerner) closed whatever option remained to formally invite British Troops in (with or without a pact). With no constitutional provision for such a move, Orizu and the rump cabinet chose to "hand over" to the Army Chief, Major Gen Ironsi, (himself an easterner) allegedly to give him needed authority to put down the coup attempt which had already collapsed in the south.
In a parliamentary system the parties win elections NOT INDIVIDUALS. No one is elected as prime minister rather the party with the majority chooses one of its legislators as LEADER . So when Balewa was killed why did Orizu reject Dipcharima??
people that died

Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Prime Minister of the Federation of Nigeria.

b. Chief F. S. Okotie-Eboh, Finance Minister of the Federation.

c. Brigadier Z. Mai-Malari, Commander of the 2nd Brigade NA

d. Colonel K. Mohammed, Chief of Staff Nigerian Army

e. Lieut-Colonel A. C. Unegbe, Quartermaster General.

f. Lieut-Colonel J.T. Pam, Adjutant General, Nigerian Army

g. Lieut-Colonel A. Largema, Commanding Officer 4th Battalion Ibadan

h. S. L. Akintola, Premier of Western Nigeria

i. Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sarduana of Sokoto and Premier of Northern Nigeria

j. Brigadier S. Ademulegun, Commander of the 1st Brigade NA

k. Colonel R. A. Shodeinde, Deputy Commandant, Nigerian Defence Academy

l. Ahmed Dan Musa, Senior Assistant Secretary (Security) to the North Regional Government

m. Sergeant Duromola Oyegoke of the Nigerian Army

n. The senior wife of Sir Ahmadu Bello

o. The wife of Brigadier Ademulegun

IS THIS LESS THAN TEN AS YOU CLAIM

Why did Ojukwu March on Ore/Lagos

The Ibos Never "signed" to be part of Nigeria??
Did Ijaws,Ogoni Efik etc SIGN TO BE PART OF BIAFRA>
You tell us that Ironsi was disinterested in power. Hahahaa.

Why did he fail to punish those who were arrested for the coup and associated murders? THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION and that is why ultimately there was a civil war at that time

The problem with you folk is you think you are the smartest when you are indeed very dull

This is one account of how Brigadier Maimalari was killed by a cold blooded murderer

.................At a point in the Golf course, adjacent to a petrol station Brigadier Mai-Malari was walking towards Dodan Barracks when he saw Major Ifeajuna's car. The Brigadier recognized his Brigade Major Ifeajuna and shouted and beckoned him to stop. Then Ifeajuna stopped the car and accompanied by 2/Lt Ezedigbo went towards Brig. Mai-Malari and killed him.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 11:35am On Aug 19, 2014
iwonbaoko:

He is merely telling you how much premium he puts on human life. You didn't even put the unborn child of Ademulegun in your list as his wife was pregnant. Oh, by the way Nzeogwu killed one of his own soldiers who was not shelling the Sardauna's compound as he wanted. If my memory serves me, he not only killed that soldier but also several guards of the Sardauna.

Whilst he was with Manga he heard Major Nzeogwu shouting repeatedly "Fire you bastard, fire". Immediately after this both Manga and Adebiyi heard a burst of SMG fire. They turned round and observed Sgt. Oyegoke slumped on the ground bleeding from multiple wounds. It was clear to both that their colleague had been killed by Major Nzeogwu either for refusing to obey or because he attempted to run away.

144. On arrival at the main gate to the compound, Major Nzeogwu found 4 PCs on guard in front of the gate. They were the following:

(1) No.8301 L/Cpl. Musa Nimzo

(2) No. 10674 PC. Akpan Anduka

(3) No. 18913 PC Hagai Lai

(4) No. 18920 PC Peter Attah

145. Major Nzeogwu, who was armed with a sterling SMG, ordered the constables to face the wall. Attah complied with this order but the three others refused. Without further ado, Major Nzeogwu immediately opened fire on them with his SMG killing all three on the spot.

I have read of accounts where Nzeogwu claimed he was not armed and yet his men obeyed him; and could've killed him if they wanted to or found his orders not to their taste. Does this not rubbish that claim?

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/nigeria_facts/MilitaryRule/Omoigui/1966Coup-PartThree.html
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 1:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
iwonbaoko:

You must be very young, recycling childish lies
Akintola was the one that opened fired first? SO HE DESERVED TO DIE

The refusal of the President of the Senate (Nwafor Orizu, an easterner from the NCNC - who was also acting President) to accept the appointment by the NPC dominated cabinet of an interim Prime Minister (Dipcharima, a northerner) closed whatever option remained to formally invite British Troops in (with or without a pact). With no constitutional provision for such a move, Orizu and the rump cabinet chose to "hand over" to the Army Chief, Major Gen Ironsi, (himself an easterner) allegedly to give him needed authority to put down the coup attempt which had already collapsed in the south.
In a parliamentary system the parties win elections NOT INDIVIDUALS. No one is elected as prime minister rather the party with the majority chooses one of its legislators as LEADER . So when Balewa was killed why did Orizu reject Dipcharima??
people that died

Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Prime Minister of the Federation of Nigeria.

b. Chief F. S. Okotie-Eboh, Finance Minister of the Federation.

c. Brigadier Z. Mai-Malari, Commander of the 2nd Brigade NA

d. Colonel K. Mohammed, Chief of Staff Nigerian Army

e. Lieut-Colonel A. C. Unegbe, Quartermaster General.

f. Lieut-Colonel J.T. Pam, Adjutant General, Nigerian Army

g. Lieut-Colonel A. Largema, Commanding Officer 4th Battalion Ibadan

h. S. L. Akintola, Premier of Western Nigeria

i. Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sarduana of Sokoto and Premier of Northern Nigeria

j. Brigadier S. Ademulegun, Commander of the 1st Brigade NA

k. Colonel R. A. Shodeinde, Deputy Commandant, Nigerian Defence Academy

l. Ahmed Dan Musa, Senior Assistant Secretary (Security) to the North Regional Government

m. Sergeant Duromola Oyegoke of the Nigerian Army

n. The senior wife of Sir Ahmadu Bello

o. The wife of Brigadier Ademulegun

Why did Ojukwu March on Ore/Lagos

The Ibos Never "signed" to be part of Nigeria??
Did Ijaws,Ogoni Efik etc SIGN TO BE PART OF BIAFRA>

The problem with you folk is you think you are the smartest when you are indeed very dull

Oh come on man! So a few more people died than 10,is that your aguement? There was minimal loss of life compared to the genicide that was the counter coup.Maybe you should go and also make a list of the over 300 Igbo soldiers and officers including Ironsi who were butchered in the counter coup so we can compare and contrast (it should also be noted that after the civil war,all those who were involved in Nzeogwus coup were jailed and dismissed from the army while nothing happend to the perpetrators of the counter coup which was by far bloodier) Someone like 2nd Lt Ugokwe was commissioned into the army just few days after the first coup and knew nothing about it but that didn't stop the northerners coming for him during the counter coup and only managed to escape because of Useman Kastina who helped him. My aguement about the coup was that it was not carried out to make Ironsi head of state,if it was,why would he need parliaments approval to take over? Parliament,for whatever reason,handed power to Ironsi. If you want to say that it was all a grand plot for Orizu to hand over to his fellow Igbo,I can say that it is a known fact that Nzeogwu and co wanted to hand over power Awolowo but that's argument for another day. Ojukwu had every right to march on Lagos because the war had started with the Nigerians shelling the Biafran border town of Garkem. Ore just happend to be on the way to Lagos. As for the insinuation that the minorities never signed up to Biafra,I will have you know that Ojukwu did not just get up one day and declare Biafra. Ojukwu constituted the Eastern Nigerian consultative assembly made up representatives of the indegenious people of Eastern Nigeria and mandated them to go and ask their people if they would want to join the new nation in the event of the Igbos pulling out of Nigeria. That consultative assembly came back and gave Ojukwu an 'overwhelming' mandate to declare Biafra. Yes the minorities signed up to Biafra. They may have turned their back on Biafra when the harsh realities of war started but they were not forced into Biafra,Infact, Ojukwus second in command (Effiong)as well the secretary to the Biafran government (Akpan) were from the minorities. One thing I want touch on again is Ore because Ore was a tragedy for not just Biafrans but for the Yoruba people too and till today,it still remains a sticking point for Yoruba/Igbo relationship. Ore was the last chance for the people of Southern Nigeria to remove Hausa/Fulani Hegemony. The real enemy was never the Yorubas but that gang of northern criminals in Lagos led Gowon and Murtala. That's who Ojukwu was gunning for. There was nothing stopping Awolowo from declaring the Republic of Oduduwa and sending Gowon and his usurping northern cohorts back to where they can from,instead,he took a plum Governement job and helped to entrench Northern hegemony all over Nigeria. It is a tragedy that Yorubas helped the Northerners perpetuate themselves in power right from Yorubaland (Lagos) only for the same northerners to tranfer the capital to the north and use the proceeds of their economic plundering of Southern Nigeria to build up what will later be the capital of Arewa Republic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / Different South African Tribes / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.