Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. (66923 Views)

‘Tom And Jerry’ Relationship Between Igbo And Yoruba ~ Azuka Onwuka / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2014
zendy:

Oh come on man! So a few more people died than 10,is that your aguement? Maybe you should go and also make a list of the over 300 Igbo soldiers and officers including Ironsi who were butchered in the counter coup so we can compare and contrast.Someone like 2nd Lt Ugokwe was commissioned into the army just few days after the first coup and knew nothing about it but that didn't stop the northerners coming for him during the counter coup and only managed to escape because of Useman Kastina who helped him. My aguement about the coup was that it was not carried out to make Ironsi head of state,if it was,why would he need parliaments approval to take over? Parliament,for whatever reason,handed power to Ironsi. If you want to say that it was all a grand plot for Orizu to hand over to his fellow Igbo,I can say that it is a known fact that Nzeogwu and co wanted to hand over power Awolowo but that's argument for another day. Ojukwu had every right to march on Lagos because the war had started with the Nigerians shelling the Biafran border town of Garkem. Ore just happend to be on the way to Lagos. As for the insinuation that the minorities never signed up to Biafra,I will have you know that Ojukwu did not just get one day and declare Biafra. Ojukwu constituted the Eastern Nigerian consultative assembly made up representatives of the indegenious people of Eastern Nigeria and mandated them to go and ask their people if they would want to join the new nation in the event of the Igbos pulling out of Nigeria. That consultative came back and gave Ojukwu an 'overwhelming' mandate to declare Biafra. Yes the minorities signed up to Biafra. They may have turned their back on Biafra when the harsh realities of war started but they were not forced into Biafra,Infact, Ojukwus second in command (Effiong)as well the secretary to the Biafran government (Akpan) were from the minorities. One thing I want touch on again is Ore because Ore was a tragedy for not just Biafrans but for the Yoruba people too and till today,it still remains a sticking point for Yoruba/Igbo relationship. Ore was the last chance for the people of Southern Nigeria to remove Hausa/Fulani Hegemony. The real enemy was never the Yorubas but that gang of northern criminals in Lagos led Gowon and Murtala. That's who Ojukwu was gunning for. There was nothing stopping Awolowo from declaring the Republic of Oduduwa and sending Gowon and his usurping northern cohorts,instead,he took a plum Governement job and helped to entrench Northern hegemony all over Nigeria. It is a tragedy that Yorubas helped the Northerners perpetuate themselves in power right from Yorubaland (Lagos) only for the same northerners to tranfer the capital to the north and use the proceeds of their economic plundering of Southern Nigeria to build up what will later be the capital of Arewa Republic.

"a few more than 10" That is easy to say when they are faceless and remote
actions do not have to be equal. In war it seldom is ,war is not football. The numbers should be heavily skewed that way to leave an indellible mark on your psyche so next time you think twice. If I throw a stone at the head of state what is thrown back at me will probably be worse than a stone.
Fact is that it was an Ibo coup. Another fact is Ironsi did nothing to bring the coup plotters to justice and to make matters worse Ibos started taunting Hausas in barracks and making songs like "
"ewu be na akwa"
You guys are always childish and emotional ,hear yourself "there was nothing stopping Awo from declaring Oduduwa republic" but there was young man.....common sense which obviously was in short supply in Enugu. Was Awolowo a soldier or a commander of troops that he would just come out of prison and start declaring republics. Why did Nigerians not "DECLARE" independence before the British granted it.
You claim Ogoni and Ijaw signed up to Biafra but Ibo did not sign up to Nigeria. That is funny and does not merit any further response from me.
Since Awolowo was so important in the West then one must presume Zik was equally important in the East so tell what role Zik played in this so called Asssembly that gave Ojukwu a mandate an tell us the names of those who signed for Ijaw,Ogoni,Ikwerre,Efik,Ibibio,Annang,Ekoi etc
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 2:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
iwonbaoko:

"a few more than 10" That is easy to say when they are faceless and remote
actions do not have to be equal. In war it seldom is ,war is not football. The numbers should be heavily skewed that way to leave an indellible mark on your psyche so next time you think twice. If I throw a stone at the head of state what is thrown back at me will probably be worse than a stone.
Fact is that it was an Ibo coup. Another fact is Ironsi did nothing to bring the coup plotters to justice and to make matters worse Ibos started taunting Hausas in barracks and making songs like "
"ewu be na akwa"
You guys are always childish and emotional ,hear yourself "there was nothing stopping Awo from declaring Oduduwa republic" but there was young man.....common sense which obviously was in short supply in Enugu. Was Awolowo a soldier or a commander of troops that he would just come out of prison and start declaring republics. Why did Nigerians not "DECLARE" independence before the British granted it.
You claim Ogoni and Ijaw signed up to Biafra but Ibo did not sign up to Nigeria. That is funny and does not merit any further response from me.
Since Awolowo was so important in the West then one must presume Zik was equally important in the East so tell what role Zik played in this so called Asssembly that gave Ojukwu a mandate an tell us the names of those who signed for Ijaw,Ogoni,Ikwerre,Efik,Ibibio,Annang,Ekoi etc

Man,you are something else but you represent a general thinking in Nigeria,particularly amongst the Yoruba people and Igbos like me sigh in amazement. Your're right, "a few more than 10"is easy for me to say when I compare the later slaughter of over 40,000 easterners that followed. I guess those 40,000 are faceless to you? Let me ask you this. In 1994 there was tension in Rwanda between Hutus and Tutsis. The Hutu president was was killed by still unidentified people but the Hutus blamed the Tutsis and saw the killing of the president as a grand plot for the Tutsis to take over and thousands of Tutsis were killed in the ensuing weeks. Would you say this Genocide was justified? In the Nigerian context,let's assume that the first coup was indeed an Igbo coup were the Igbos wanted kill off Nigerian leaders and that Igbos taunted the Hausas after this,would you say that the 40,000 easterners massacred across Nigeria mainly in the north was justified? Can you truly justify easterner drowned in wells,beheaded, pregnant women's bellies ripped open and the foetus executed? Or maybe you can ask the dead foetus why Ironsi did not purnish the coup plotters and why he signed the unification decree? Let's go further on this, have you asked the northerners why they massacred easterners in Jos in 1945 and in Kano in 1953 long before the so called Igbo coup? Let's forget that and talk about the Igbo coup,anyone can see that these mid level officers mainly of Igbo origin rose up to remove the "bad eggs" in the system. No coup is justified but anyone can see that they did not initiate the coup because they wanted power for themselves like all other coups that followed. It is also on record that at the end of the war,all of them still alive were jailed and dismissed from the army while all the northerners like Murutla Mohammed,Yaradua,IBB,Abacha,Jerry Useni,Danjuma,Shuwa,Haruna and Buhari who all commited far worse atrocities were commended and promoted and some later became head state. Some justice!! As for Ore and Awolowo,what a tragedy for the Yoruba nation. Ore is still regarded by Igbos like me as one of the biggest acts of cowardice by the Yorubas. Victor Banjo had already declared the republic of the mid-west after overrunning that region. He would have declared the republic of Odua had he got to Lagos like he planned. Victor Banjo contacted Awolowo and asked for support but was rebuffed. Had Awlolowo rallied the Yoruba nation,the story today would have been different. Had the Yoruba people welcomed Banjo,swelled his ranks and marched to Lagos where Gowon and his northern bandits were holed up,we would have had 3 or 4 different nations living side by side today. There would have been no war,millions would not have died. We would have never heard of the Buharis,IBB,Abacha. June 12th would have never happened. It's a Tragedy that the Yoruba nation let a gang of northern criminals in uniform like Gowon and Murutala Mohammed to sit in Yorubaland (Lagos) and define Nigeria but I guess that's what happens when people lose all sense of self determination.Look at the Nigeria that Notherners presided over for 40 years with the tacit help of Yorubas,a complete and utter failure. So much for 'one Nigeria'. Even Asari Dokubo said that the biggest regret of the Niger-Delta people was turning their backs on Biafra because they now realise it was their last chance at attaining freedom.

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
zendy:
Ore is still regarded by Igbos like me as one of the biggest acts of cowardice by the Yorubas.
The cowardice that drove your ragtag army all the way back to Enugu? Oxymoronic, isn't it?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
zendy:
Had the Yoruba people welcomed Banjo,swelled his ranks and marched to Lagos where Gowon and his northern bandits were holed up,we would have had 3 or 4 different nations living side by side today.
Sorry to wake you up from your reverie but I have news for you (old news because those familiar with history already know and apparently you just landed from Mars located somewhere in the eastern region of Nigeria); Banjo was a nationalist through and through and believed in the "One Nigeria" ethos. If Banjo was going to succeed, it would be to unite Nigeria and not to tear it into pieces. This was one of the reasons he did not see eye-to-eye with Ojukwu and eventually culminated in him being scapegoated and executed.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by logica(m): 3:11pm On Aug 20, 2014
zendy:
It's a Tragedy that the Yoruba nation let a gang of northern criminals in uniform like Gowon and Murutala Mohammed to sit in Yorubaland (Lagos) and define Nigeria but I guess that's what happens when people lose all sense of self determination.Look at the Nigeria that Notherners presided over for 40 years with the tacit help of Yorubas,a complete and utter failure. So much for 'one Nigeria'.
Mr Man go cry your man "Zik of Africa" a river. Was it not Zik that formed an alliance with the Northerners simply to thwart Awolowo? And then you expect the same Awolowo to dance to your tune, simply because Awolowo was born to assist the Igbo nation eh? What is it you are crying about really? You hate the Northerners so much, yet you formed an alliance with them. Then you formulate a plan to eliminate them and take control using a military coup, then it all comes crumbling. THEN, it is the Yoruba you expect to be your ally? Truth be told, the Yorubas did show some compassion for the plight the Igbos found themselves; until the lack of tact on display from the East forced their hands.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
zendy:

Man,you are something else but you represent a general thinking in Nigeria,particularly amongst the Yoruba people and Igbos like me sigh in amazement. Your're right, "a few more than 10"is easy for me to say when I compare the later slaughter of over 40,000 easterners that followed. I guess those 40,000 are faceless to you? Let me ask you this. In 1994 there was tension in Rwanda between Hutus and Tutsis. The Hutu president was was killed by still unidentified people but the Hutus blamed the Tutsis and saw the killing of the president as a grand plot for the Tutsis to take over and thousands of Tutsis were killed in the ensuing weeks. Would you say this Genocide was justified? In the Nigerian context,let's assume that the first coup was indeed an Igbo coup were the Igbos wanted kill off Nigerian leaders and that Igbos taunted the Hausas after this,would you say that the 40,000 easterners massacred across Nigeria mainly in the north was justified? Can you truly justify easterner drowned in wells,beheaded, pregnant women's bellies ripped open and the foetus executed? Or maybe you can ask the dead foetus why Ironsi did not purnish the coup plotters and why he signed the unification decree? Let's go further on this, have you asked the northerners why they massacred easterners in Jos in 1945 and in Kano in 1953 long before the so called Igbo coup? Let's forget that and talk about the Igbo coup,anyone can see that these mid level officers mainly of Igbo origin rose up to remove the "bad eggs" in the system. No coup is justified but anyone can see that they did not initiate the coup because they wanted power for themselves like all other coups that followed. It is also on record that at the end of the war,all of them still alive were jailed and dismissed from the army while all the northerners like Murutla Mohammed,Yaradua,IBB,Abacha,Jerry Useni,Danjuma,Shuwa,Haruna and Buhari who all commited far worse atrocities were commended and promoted and some later became head state. Some justice!! As for Ore and Awolowo,what a tragedy for the Yoruba nation. Ore is still regarded by Igbos like me as one of the biggest acts of cowardice by the Yorubas. Victor Banjo had already declared the republic of the mid-west after overrunning that region. He would have declared the republic of Odua had he got to Lagos like he planned. Victor Banjo contacted Awolowo and asked for support but was rebuffed. Had Awlolowo rallied the Yoruba nation,the story today would have been different. Had the Yoruba people welcomed Banjo,swelled his ranks and marched to Lagos where Gowon and his northern bandits were holed up,we would have had 3 or 4 different nations living side by side today. There would have been no war,millions would not have died. We would have never heard of the Buharis,IBB,Abacha. June 12th would have never happened. It's a Tragedy that the Yoruba nation let a gang of northern criminals in uniform like Gowon and Murutala Mohammed to sit in Yorubaland (Lagos) and define Nigeria but I guess that's what happens when people lose all sense of self determination.Look at the Nigeria that Notherners presided over for 40 years with the tacit help of Yorubas,a complete and utter failure. So much for 'one Nigeria'. Even Asari Dokubo said that the biggest regret of the Niger-Delta people was turning their backs on Biafra because they now realise it was their last chance at attaining freedom.
A quality mind is like a quality camera in its ability to FOCUS and produce clear images/pictures. You are not focussed and that is why you are rambling on jumping like a butterfly that landed on lion's dung. Your analysis is weak ,watery and dishonest. You kill our leaders in January take over the government and protect the killers and when you get a little chastisement in return you decide that the game is over in July, Why did you not secede in January,Why introduce Decree 34 ?. When you did your own killings did anyone secede? Who are you to decide? You think it is for the Iboes to set the agenda or decide a timetable for Yorubas? Is it the owner or the goat that will decide when he should die? So because that suicidal he-goat Ojukwu decided to gamble your lives you reckon the Yoruba should follow? Did you induct us into Nigeria? You are a funny lot

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by zendy: 5:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
I think that when anyone looks at the history of Nigeria,they realise that this country has no future. In relation to this thread,and as I said before,Yorubas and Igbos are too different to live side by side under one banner. But both ethnic groups could actually forge a lasting relationship as independent nations. This is the only way to remove unhealthy rivalry and mutual suspicion both people have for each other. I have no doubt in my that Nigeria is a doomed enterprise that will end in my life time,maybe even next year. It is the inalienable right of any group of people to seek self determination any time they so wish. It is the right of the Igbos to seek Biafra if they wish same as it is for the Ijaw,Efik,Ibibio etc people to seek the republic of the Niger-Delta. Nobody can force another to be 'Nigerian' no matter how hard they try.It will be interesting to see how Yoruba/Igbo relationship progresses without the northerners in the equation.

Below should make interesting reading for people who still believe in 'one Nigeria'

http://slikinsight..co.uk/2013/12/the-timeline-of-igbo-massacre-in-n.html?m=1
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Revolva(m): 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2014
generalissimo: Nah! U got it all wrong manh! The yorubas dont have problem with any tribe except with babric attitudes of the CATTLES from the North. The only thing that seems like a problem with Igbos is just an admittance of ''who is superior over who''. And to be sincere, apart from the business sector and manufacturing of fake commodities, the Igbos in this country do not match the Yorubas in term of everything which includes, but not limited to intelligence. The political situation in the country right from the inception is an evidence amongst many. The only cry you'll be hearing from them (the Igbos) is marginalisation. They are the least intelligent tribe in this country. But the Igbos will never wanna admit and that's what seems like they are at logger heads with the Yorubas. The Yorubas have no problem with any less intelligent group or tribe. They should just maintain their lane

well said...but must tell you...they do hate demselves deeply

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 10:50am On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

Knowing naija well, scholarship is a national cake,and would be subjected to the forces of nepotism, federal character/quota system, a bit of merit,'money runs', etc.

Hardly can it be used to get a good assessment of academic peformance of ethnic groups.

For example, based on the fact that Yorubas have more states, they are always going to have more slots in the national unity school enrolement than Ndiigbo, not because they performed better,as we know that Igbo states have higher cut off marks, but because of the federal character and the advantage of of having one more state(Ekiti) than SE.

In my opinion, public exams performances with no political undertone, like WAEC and NECO, and even cut off marks for enrolement into national unity schools( not the number of people that got enroled at the end) tell a better story and gives a better picture.
Console yourselves. To qualify to take the Exam first you must get a First Class Degree. We all know the cheating that goes on in NECO and WAEC. Despite all the chest beating at the highest levels yo folk get found out. There are millions of footballers but not all can play for Barcelona. The disparity at the PRESSID exam has NOTHING to do with number of states otherwise the North would dominate. The SW took just under 50% of the scholarships on over and have done so since the scheme started. That is no fluke. Master na im be Oga
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 10:57am On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Console yourselves. To qualify to take the Exam first you must get a First Class Degree. We all know the cheating that goes on in NECO and WAEC. Despite all the chest beating at the highest levels yo folk get found out. There are millions of footballers but not all can play for Barcelona. The disparity at the PRESSID exam has NOTHING to do with number of states otherwise the North would dominate. The SW took just under 50% of the scholarships on over and have done so since the scheme started. That is no fluke. Master na im be Oga

If NECO, WAEC and JAMB statistics favoured south west, would you be condeming the exams as you are clearly condeming them now because they don't favour you?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 11:08am On Mar 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

If NECO, WAEC and JAMB statistics favoured south west, would you be condeming the exams as you are clearly condeming them now because they don't favour you?
Favoured? Get an education please. Like I said there is only one Barcelona. The cream will ALWAYS rise to the top. We are talking about First Class Graduates you are saying JAMB. We say computer you say calculator,Haba!

I did not condemn JAMB before universities decided it lacks credibility and started doing their own screening did I?
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 11:16am On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:

Getting a first class degree varies from school to school, each school has their own standards for awarding such degrees, a lot of human factors come into play, there is no unified standards.

NECO, WAEC, JAMB,unity schools enrollment exams are national exams with standardized examination criteria for all.

They are better standards for taking national stocks, as they are open to all, without prior screening that depends on various non standardized factors like PRESSID.

Currently, at the highest levels of human achievements, the international high flyers in the country are Igbos, Nigeria has no second Chimamanda, no second world bank president candidate( Okonjo Iweala), no second Iheanacho, no second Mikel.

So I don't understand your criteria of high flyers, getting shortlisted in a national cake scholarship exam that was probably influenced by lots of Nigerian factors?

Not long ago, we celebrated another Igbo high flyer at the international stage, where Nigerian factors are non existent, who grew and sold a company for a Billion dollars, you can't fly higher than that. Ezekwesili was world bank VP.

Maybe high flying has taken a new meaning in Yoruba language.

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 11:31am On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

Getting a first class degree varies from school to school, each school has their own standards for awarding such degrees, a lot of human factors come into play, there is no unified standards.

NECO, WAEC, JAMB,unity schools enrollment exams are national exams with standardized examination criteria for all.

They are better standards for taking national stocks, as they are open to all, without prior screening that depends on various non standardized factors like PRESSID.

Currently, at the highest levels of human achievements, the international high flyers in the country are Igbos, Nigeria has no second Chimamanda, no second world bank president candidate( Okonjo Iweala), no second Iheanacho, no second Mikel.

So I don't understand your criteria of high flyers, getting shortlisted in a national cake scholarship exam that was probably influenced by lots of Nigerian factors?

Not long ago, we celebrated another Igbo high flyer at the international stage, where Nigerian factors are non existent, who grew and sold a company for a Billion dollars, you can't fly higher than that. Ezekwesili was world bank VP.

Maybe high flying has taken a new meaning in Yoruba language.
Try and do something meaningful with your self and stop claiming illusory laurels .
What exactly do you mean by no second Chimamanda .It is clear you do not read Nigerian literature otherrwise you would not say something so silly. Literature is not for chest beating and there are even among the Eboes others way ahead of her both in craft and output. Talk about what you know. There is only one world bank president. What is a " Candidate" please enlighten us?
You say there is only one Mikel ? I am confused There is only one of everyone. What is your point exactly. I know there are some who may be inclined to reel out a list of comparative names. I will not. Changing and widening the discussion is a good diversionary tactic but it won't work. At the highest level of academic endeavour the Eboes and Yorubas are not coevals and it is not clear what Mikel Obi or someone allegedly selling a company for a billion dollars has to do with it. Ihenacho Are you OK?? If you are talking about cheats and liars like Emegwali that is another matter,your territory

( by the way I read that DUBIOUS story. How much of the so called billion dollars is he going to get ACTUALLY.What percentage of the company did he own and what proportion did the Israelis who financed him own? Did you see the transaction documents??) Restrict yourself to what you know and stop ridiculing yourself
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 11:55am On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Try and do something meaningful with your self and stop claiming illusory laurels .
What exactly do you mean by no second Chimamanda .It is clear you do not read Nigerian literature otherrwise you would not say something so silly. Literature is not for chest beating and there are even among the Eboes others way ahead of her both in craft and output. Talk about what you know. There is only one world bank president. What is a " Candidate" please enlighten us?
You say there is only one Mikel ? I am confused There is only one of everyone. What is your point exactly. I know there are some who may be inclined to reel out a list of comparative names. I will not. Changing and widening the discussion is a good diversionary tactic but it won't work. At the highest level of academic endeavourr the Eboes and Yorubas are not coevals and it is not clear what Mikel Obi or someone allegedly selling a company for a billion dollars has to do with it. Ihenacho Are you OK??

( by the way I read that DUBIOUS story. How much of the so called billion dollars is he going to get ACTUALLY. Did you see the transaction documents??) Restrict yourself to what you know and stop ridiculing yourself

At the world stage, the current most Known intellectual from Nigeria is Chimamanda Adichie, you said Igbos get exposed at higher levels( which to you, PRESSID represents), now I am showing you Igbos currently flying at the highest level in the international arena, names that became household names.I have given you Chimamanda Adichie and Okonjo Iweala( a world bank president candidate), these are high international flyers, I am asking their Yoruba equivalents.

You dismissed NECO, WAEC JAMB and unity enrollment stats as lower levels cos they didn't favour your biased stance, while preferring PRESSID, which you recognised as higher level to NECO, WAEC,etc, cos the stats there favours you, fair enough.

Now I am taking the argument to a level higher than PRESSID, the international arena, I see Chimamanda Adichie and Okonjo Iweala there, but I see no Yoruba. What does that say about Igbo high flyers and Yoruba high flyers?

I would interprete that Yoruba high flyers are products of Nigerian influenced political processes, as we saw in PRESSID, while Igbos high flyers are suppressed by Nigerian politically influenced processes like in PRESSID, but excel in non Nigerian politically influenced ones like NECO, WAEC, unity schools enrollment, and then international Arena.

Conclusion: Yorubas need one Nigeria to fly high, while one Nigeria is a hindrance to Igbo high flyers, we need Biafra ASAP.

*cool*

4 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 12:04pm On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

At the world stage, the current most Known intellectual from Nigeria is Chimamanda Adichie, you said Igbos get exposed at higher levels( which to you, PRESSID represents), now I am showing you Igbos currently flying at the highest level in the international arena, names that became household names.I have given you Chimamanda Adichie and Okonjo Iweala( a world bank president candidate), these are high international flyers, I am asking their Yoruba equivalents.

You dismissed NECO, WAEC JAMB and unity enrollment stats as lower levels cos they didn't favour your biased stance, while preferring PRESSID, which you recognised as higher level cos the stats there favours you.

Now I am taking the argument to a higher level, the international arena, I see Chimamanda Adichie and Okonjo Iweala there, but I see no Yorub. What does that say about Igbo high flyers and Yoruba high flyers?

I would interprete that Yoruba high flyers are products of Nigerian influenced processes, as we saw in PRESSID, Igbos high flyers are suppressed by Nigerian politically influenced processes like in PRESSID, but excel in non Nigerian influenced ones like NECO, WAEC, unity schools enrollment, and then international Arena.

Conclusion: Yorubas need one Nigeria, one Nigeria is a hindrance to Ndiigbo.

*cool*

Kindly share the source of your claim? You claim she is the "most known" Is there some kind of league table for this? What is the basis of this claim?

I do not know her as an intellectual so it is not clear where you get that from. I know her as a writer and I know Ben Okri even better but that is my own opinion.

Kindly mention ONE IDEA that Chimamanda is associated with since you claim she is an "INTELLECTUAL"
If there is such a thing as World Bank president candidate then Okonjo-Iweala must be the FIRST because I have never heard that before. The woman was an employee of the World Bank and became MD that is not an academic accomplishment Nigerians have become MD is Shell MTN and such like. Currently she has failed woefully as finance minister so she is an inauspicious exemplar. There are many writers in different genres. Those of us who actually read do not see this arena as one for chest beating but I am not sure what is outstanding about Chimamanda . I do not see her works being used in schools
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Kindly share the source of your claim? You claim she is the "most known" Is there some kind of league table for this? What is the basis of this claim?

I do not know her as an intellectual so it is not clear where you get that from. I know her as a writer and I know Ben Okri even better but that is my own opinion.

Kindly mention ONE IDEA that Chimamanda is associated with since you claim she is an "INTELLECTUAL"

Chimamanda Adichie is the most known Nigerian intellectual in the international arena, currently, she actually took that mantle from another Igbo, Chinua Achebe. She is known for her stance on women empowerment and gender equality.
Ben Okri is an Okuko Igbo( a local champion), no offense!

The presence of Chimamanda Adichie and Iweala at the international arena, with no Yoruba with any potential of reaching such lofty heights any time soon, already disproves your earlier statement that Ndiigbo get exposed at higher levels, as a matter of fact, international arena and Ndiigbo are like duck and water, that's why some of us are so eager to do away with the Nigerian negative influence. *grins*

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 12:19pm On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

Chimamanda Adichie is the most known Nigerian intellectual in the international arena, currently, she actually took that mantle from another Igbo, Chinua Achebe. She is known for how stance on woman empowerment and gender equality.
Ben Okri is an Okuko Igbo( a local champion), no offense!

The presence of Chimamanda Adichie and Iweala at the international arena, with no Yoruba with any potential of reaching such lofty heights any time soon, already disproves your earlier statement that Ndiigbo get exposed at higher levels, as a matter of fact, international arena and Ndiigbo are like duck and water, that's why some of us are so eager to do away with the Nigerian negative influence. *grins*

You are mistaken the Most known is Baba Suwe who took the mantle from Baba Sala
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 12:23pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:

You are mistaken the Most known is Baba Suwe who took the mantle from Baba Sala

*grins*

Now, see who is consoling himself.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 12:28pm On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

*grins*

Now, see who is consoling himself.
Happy you can smile at how ridiculous you sound. Is this something Eboes drink with breast milk? This tendency to just come up with bizarre claims without blinking ,Like Orji Kaku is so rich he banks with World Bank or The US Navy buys drones from Onitsha Market the largest market in the Milky Way or Chimamanda is the most known.?You just get any silly idea which seems good to you and bam! it becomes reality? Once again how do you come up with this "MOST KNOWN" bulllshiit? Who is SECOND and THIRD??
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Happy you can smile at how ridiculous you sound. Is this something Eboes drink with breast milk? This tendency to just come up with bizarre claims without blinking ,Like Orji Kaku is so rich he banks with World Bank or The US Navy buys drones from Onitsha Market the largest market in the Milky Way or Chimamanda is the most known.?You just get any silly idea which seems good to you and bam! it becomes reality? Once again how do you come up with this "MOST KNOWN" bulllshiit? Who is SECOND and THIRD??

Haha! Na so the thing pain you reach? Chimamanda, you better re locate from Lagos to Enugu o! Before these angry Yorubas do you 30. *grins*

I don't know the second and third o! Only interested in the first.

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 12:37pm On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

Haha! Na so the thing pain you reach? Chimamanda, you better re locate from Lagos to Enugu o! Before these angry Yorubas do you 30. *grins*

I don't know the second and third o! Only interested in the first.
No Baba Suwe is the most known.You folk are empty and with a profound inferiority complex hence the need for these juvenile boasting. Why should it pain me? Talk like an adult even if you must pretend. For you folk facts are an irrelevant inconvenience. So you go around shouting Eboes this Eboes that.Evidence of your inferiority. If they are real the facts will speak for themselves. I have never heard any Hausa or Yoruba man going around claiming to be the richest only Eboes. Why is this??
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by pazienza(m): 12:48pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
No Baba Suwe is the most known.You folk are empty and with a profound inferiority complex hence the need for these juvenile boasting. Why should it pain me? Talk like an adult even if you must pretend. For you folk facts are an irrelevant inconvenience. So you go around shouting Eboes this Eboes that.Evidence of your inferiority. If they are real the facts will speak for themselves. I have never heard any Hausa or Yoruba man going around claiming to be the richest only Eboes. Why is this??

Nah! Inferiority complex is claiming that living in a clustered mud houses with no care for sanitation, ventilation and proper house spacing, is evidence of civilization and ancient city lifestyle.

Inferiority complex is claiming educated Sierra Leone returnees who settled in Lagos and picked up Yoruba names in order to assimilate, as Yoruba people, all in inferiority complex induced motive to measure up with Ndiigbo and claim the most educated ethnic group, even when modern realities on ground proves otherwise.

Igbo has many problems, but inferiority complex is surely not one of them.

5 Likes

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 1:04pm On Mar 07, 2015
pazienza:

Nah! Inferiority complex is claiming that living in a clustered mud houses with no care for sanitation, ventilation and proper house spacing, is evidence of civilization and ancient city lifestyle.

Inferiority complex is claiming educated Sierra Leone returnees who settled in Lagos and picked up Yoruba names in order to assimilate as Yoruba people, all in inferiority complex induced motive to measure up with Ndiigbo and claim the most educated ethnic group, even when realities on ground proves otherwise.

Igbo has many problems, but inferiority complex is surely not one of them.
Bitter harridan! Yorubas claim that is funny! Yorubas trying to measure up to NdeeEBOE DO NOT BE SILLY. Do you see Yorubas travelling home to show off their acquired Eboe language or vice versa. Yorubas are complete. Yorubas do not copy anyone and we are proud of our heritage. We are the ones to be copied You on the other hand copy asoebi ,copy Yoruba language and wear this as a badge of honour when you go back to Umuakpu
# Face it you have an inferiority complex deeply embedded in Eboe psyche and that is why you are always comparing yourselves. The problem is when you do this cmparison the internal experience is painful and you have to COMPENSATE by boasting. You boast about everything all in a futile bid to shake off these inferiority pangs.

But how will you not feel inferior when you have no history, you start to CLAIM you are JEWS. You folk really are pathetic.
Where are the Eboe newspapers,the Eboe films or the Eboe music? Trust me in 40 years you will be speaking Yoruba in Aba

1 Like

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:
Favoured? Get an education please. Like I said there is only one Barcelona. The cream will ALWAYS rise to the top. We are talking about First Class Graduates you are saying JAMB. We say computer you say calculator,Haba!

I did not condemn JAMB before universities decided it lacks credibility and started doing their own screening did I?

Favoured is as correct as it is. 'If I told you I wouldn't come, would you have been angry?'. It denotes past tense. Or maybe you think we are writing American English? Your lack of English tenses is amazing.

I guess you did not 'see' WAEC statistics for last year which proves what you are fighting so hard to disprove. How about NECO? If JAMB was that bad, why is it still in place? Save for the few high-scoring ones in JAMB obtained by runs, JAMB scores, for the greater part, continues to remain fairly accurate in its prediction of high achievers, average ones and below-average ones. JAMB, WAEC, NECO no longer favours your ethnic jingoism, you now hold on to only 'PRESSID' because it favours you. As if we don't know the Nigerian factor of favouritism involved in such exams, where many 'successful' candidates are relatives of who-knows-who in Nigeria. When PRESSID no longer favours you, it would become an exam 'rigged' with malpractice and failure.

Hypocrisy is a disease.

Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2015
omonnakoda:

Bitter harridan! Yorubas claim that is funny! Yorubas trying to measure up to NdeeEBOE DO NOT BE SILLY. Do you see Yorubas travelling home to show off their acquired Eboe language or vice versa. Yorubas are complete. Yorubas do not copy anyone and we are proud of our heritage. We are the ones to be copied You on the other hand copy asoebi ,copy Yoruba language and wear this as a badge of honour when you go back to Umuakpu
# Face it you have an inferiority complex deeply embedded in Eboe psyche and that is why you are always comparing yourselves. The problem is when you do this cmparison the internal experience is painful and you have to COMPENSATE by boasting. You boast about everything all in a futile bid to shake off these inferiority pangs.

But how will you not feel inferior when you have no history, you start to CLAIM you are JEWS. You folk really are pathetic.
Where are the Eboe newspapers,the Eboe films or the Eboe music? Trust me in 40 years you will be speaking Yoruba in Aba

You sound hurt and are digressing from the issue at hand!
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by bigfrancis21: 5:21pm On Mar 07, 2015
Omonnakoda,

You know what you just did, right? Insulting me for no just cause. We were having a simple debate here and next minute, you're aggressive and hurling insults because you are clearly losing the debate. You clearly could not provide a rebuttal to Pazienza's argument thrown at you, as expected of a so-called 'educated' person. As a man of wanton ego, you resort to insults when your ego is bruised.

*Sighs*...Oh well.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 08, 2015
omonnakoda:

educated yooroba man, probably from ekiti state, heaping insults instead of logical reasoning along the topic at hand.

Onye yooroba, if this is how educated peeps reason, I bait you WHO must have banned education.

Onye OfeeMmaanu, don't be angry, welcome to one Nigeria, anjoy it while it lasts.
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 7:02pm On Mar 08, 2015
adeitoro:

educated yooroba man, probably from ekiti state, heaping insults instead of logical reasoning along the topic at hand.

Onye yooroba, if this is how educated peeps reason, I bait you WHO must have banned education.

Onye OfeeMmaanu, don't be angry, welcome to one Nigeria, anjoy it while it lasts.
Your mother's yansh is ofe mmanu and it will leak oil till she dies
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 08, 2015
omonnakoda:

Your mother's yansh is ofe mmanu and it will leak oil till she dies

chaii, ochi atogbuela mu

iya omonnakoda, fumi amala ati ewedu with enough mmanu.

Eeyaa Omo ale, pelee.

Egbon iwe ewela gi. But are you not omo ofee mmanu?

Just asking
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by omonnakoda: 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2015
adeitoro:

chaii, ochi atogbuela mu

iya omonnakoda, fumi amala ati ewedu with enough mmanu.

Eeyaa Omo ale, pelee.

Egbon iwe ewela gi. But are you not omo ofee mmanu?

Just asking
Your mother will die like a dog in an open field alone
Re: The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 08, 2015
Oloriburuku son like you.

Do you have a mother?

Omo ale jati jati

ewu ohia

omonnakoda:
Your mother will die like a dog in an open field alone

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / Different South African Tribes / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.