Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents (13750 Views)

I Always See My Wife Having Extra Marital Affairs In My Dreams: Husband / She Finished The "Easter Chicken" Leaving The Legs And Head For The Husband / Woman Arrested For Leaving Her 2 Kids Alone Abroad To Attend Wedding In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Damyion(m): 8:35am On Jul 15, 2014
eleojo23: In addition to the poster's opinion, some points in this post were gleaned from separate articles by Sylva N.I, Niall Doherty and Leigh.
You could be right, but It doesn't mean a thing. I liked it. We liked it.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by MrAnonymous: 8:38am On Jul 15, 2014
chizzy94: Don't ever let somebody tell you you can't don something, not your poppa, momma, brothers, sisters, friends and even yourself.

You got a dream and you have to protect it, people can't do something themselves and they want to tell you 'you can't do it', if you want something, go and get it. Period!
Sounds like Will Smith In "Pursuit of Happyness" smiley. Inspiring all the same.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Damyion(m): 8:41am On Jul 15, 2014
Funbii: no time to read all that, can someone summarize? tnx!
*smiles and bites kolanut* My daughter, you have spoken well. You see, the OP was wondering: Sometimes parents tend to choose for their kids, enforcing stuff on them. Why? Is this even right? I hope you have the time to read this too! *sips aromatic shnapps*
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by ayobase(m): 8:45am On Jul 15, 2014
eleojo23: In addition to the poster's opinion, some points in this post were gleaned from separate articles by Sylva N.I, Niall Doherty and Leigh.

meaning?

my parents could only suggest without pressing.
left for u to yhink about it.

above all, they do mean us well. no parent will wanna see her/his kid fail
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by mukaddam131: 9:01am On Jul 15, 2014
Kudos to the writer, more greece to your elbow, infact these piece is one of the best write up I ever read on these platform. In my own family we have every right to choose how we want to leave our live. Something happened yesterday in my fiancee Home, where the mother insisting that she wount let me marry her daughter just because I came from a christian/Muslim family. We have prayed over the relationship, and God said yes we are a perfect match. I love her, she loves me, The only clause is that of religion. Now the lady was Quoting the bible verses where the lord said we should always heed to what our parent say. Now all these pressure she inform me to let's quit the relationship of almost Two years now. My question now is is proper to be fernatic about these in relationship? Or you guyz feel their is anything I can do to get my baby's attention back in terms of convincing her to stay with me.thank u all
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by highbeeola(m): 9:02am On Jul 15, 2014
I wish parents could watch and digest the movie three idiots. Nice one op my dad wanted me to go to unilag which I no like but in d end I went but na hell after first semester na him ASUU strike start I siddon my papa tell am say me my head cannot do the course say I wan go do my I.T for ghana nd I am really enjoying it.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by achmed1(m): 9:07am On Jul 15, 2014
chizzy94: Don't ever let somebody tell you you can't don something, not your poppa, momma, brothers, sisters, friends and even yourself.

You got a dream and you have to protect it, people can't do something themselves and they want to tell you 'you can't do it', if you want something, go and get it. Period!
Will Smith in the Pursuit of Happiness.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 15, 2014
olaezebala: See all of dem don start again o. No one go gree sey him papa mama fall for the category wey OP list.
Make I join dem too , my papa de support me wellA. Dem just de sidon look me do my thing even wen dem know sey na wrong thing I de do.

60% of the comments here are lies.

Some of you shouted at your parents for having a different opinion from yours on choosing a career path.

Liars...
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by smudge2079(m): 9:19am On Jul 15, 2014
joywendy: so what's your point exactly?
Dats d point.... Nothing!
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2014
mukaddam131: Kudos to the writer, more greece to your elbow, infact these piece is one of the best write up I ever read on these platform. In my own family we have every right to choose how we want to leave our live. Something happened yesterday in my fiancee Home, where the mother insisting that she wount let me marry her daughter just because I came from a christian/Muslim family. We have prayed over the relationship, and God said yes we are a perfect match. I love her, she loves me, The only clause is that of religion. Now the lady was Quoting the bible verses where the lord said we should always heed to what our parent say. Now all these pressure she inform me to let's quit the relationship of almost Two years now. My question now is is proper to be fernatic about these in relationship? Or you guyz feel their is anything I can do to get my baby's attention back in terms of convincing her to stay with me.thank u all

Do you recall think a Muslim man can marry a christian woman ?

Christianity abhors that and I know Islam calls Christians infidels.

Think again. At least you aren't a professor and your fiancee isn't a Federal minister. We only hear such stories among educated elites..
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Derealme(m): 9:26am On Jul 15, 2014
Kanwulia: Errrrrrm, I don't have those kinds of control freaks of parents o!
They only advice and support.
Finite! kiss
I envy you
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by atrix4g(m): 9:27am On Jul 15, 2014
Just remembered ma dad's common saying dat "if I tell u to go dat way(pointing to a bricked wall) dat just go since Allah(God) knows he doesn't intend to spoil ma life den dat Allah will put a way dere for me. Funny but sincerely true.

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Godisnear(m): 9:29am On Jul 15, 2014
OP, you suppose know say we dey like long story. Chai, be brief oh!

In case of next time biko.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by atrix4g(m): 9:32am On Jul 15, 2014
okparaugo:

Do you recall think a Muslim man can marry a christian woman ?

Christianity abhors that and I know Islam calls Christians infidels.

Think again. At least you aren't a professor and your fiancee isn't a Federal minister. We only hear such stories among educated elites..
see u. Guy Muslim males are allowed by God to marry either xtians or Jews oo. Just dat d advice is dat a conscious muslim should not cos he risks all his children being dier mothers religion. Pls note again it is for males oo as for females dey can't marry d above oo

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by p2t2r(m): 9:37am On Jul 15, 2014
mosho2good: Once I see my dream I'm going to follow it even boko haram bomb cannot stop me until I reach my destination
with this kind of motivation my friend, you'll die young.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by yungryce: 9:45am On Jul 15, 2014
For all these pple forming parents independence, some times, they dnt hv to say sh1t. They knw that we knw wat they expect of us so they jst try to play on our intelligence by keeping mute

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by StannisNaharis(f): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2014
embarassed Well, I've always had the dream of becoming a successful lawyer, but here I am, studying geology. I'm not complaining but sometimes I just wish I had followed my dream.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 15, 2014
You said it all bro
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by AdeniyiA(m): 10:11am On Jul 15, 2014
some parents cause frustrations nd unfulfillment for their children by controlling their lives in the name of protecting nd wanting the best for them,which is good. covert selfishness is ALSO the hidden motive of most parents. things are changing and no man knows tomorrow, many parents fail in their primary responsibilities in the area of good parenting but suddenly become experts at designing nd mapping our a bright future for their children. You don't fight today's war wt yesterday's strategies.
Some parents had to die before some children could discover their talents nd God's plans for their lives because of their over protective nature.
Not until King Uzziah died that Prophet Isaiah could see the Lord, reason? Isaiah took Uzziah as his all in all on earth.
" In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. "--Isaiah 6:1

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Derealme(m): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2014
I have a father which is of this type. He has been very choosy and always want to dictate how I live my life from education, career, faith, relationship in short evry facet of my life. These have make me resentful towards him evry tym I see him. He makes me look foolish and stupid as if I dont knw how to take charge of ma live. If not for the fear of God and following His commandment, probably I would done something stupid but their [b] blessings [/] matters alot.

It all started wen I finished my JSS graduatin to SSS and to choose which path to follow in my career. I wanted to go for commercial class but he was tellin me I had to go for science. With his coersion I did first term of my SS in science. Wen it was second term I decided to change, not that I cud nt cope. I had good grades, one of the best in the science class, however, dats nt wat I wanted in life. Wen he heard dat I defected to commercial class he beat the hell out of me. That wasnt painful , the most painful is dat he wanted me to study medicine to be a doctor just because one of my female cousin, agemate, choosed science class and wanted to be a doctor.

Comes to faith, though we are both Muslims but the extent to which u bliv in something differ. There are sometin u c ur fellow bliver doin which u knw is nt part of the doctrine or takin tins too extreme. It pissed u off. He ll always want u to join in it which is against wat u bliv.

There are many other issues lyk dat tym and space wont allow me to type.

I bliv in dis wise sayin 'Your destiny is in ur hand'. But I think I ll fully take charge of my life wen am no more unda his roof.

3 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Derealme(m): 10:17am On Jul 15, 2014
atrix4g: Just remembered ma dad's common saying dat "if I tell u to go dat way(pointing to a bricked wall) dat just go since Allah(God) knows he doesn't intend to spoil ma life den dat Allah will put a way dere for me. Funny but sincerely true.
U r funny and ur comment is funny.
Anyway not denyin dat o.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by donodion(m): 10:21am On Jul 15, 2014
Op is right.for someone like me...been in the engineering line of proffession have been the most recognized field of career especially for the male children...Until one senior bros broke rank declare for all who cares to listen "My rules my life,not yours." One by one we all began to see our passions, careers and parental wishes differs broadly.

Parents should rather allow their wards go for career counselling rather than insisting on what they often see as the " brighter future".

Na who know say talent for stand-up comedy na safe guaranty from joblessness and penury? Ask i-go-dye

1 Like

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Adenugay(m): 10:26am On Jul 15, 2014
sure one must one day at a time

Jonathan Gets PDP Reps Members Endorsement For 2015; Speaker Tambuwal Absent >>> http://www..com/jonathan-gets-pdp-reps-members-endorsement-for-2015/
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by rudepen(m): 10:28am On Jul 15, 2014
Tz bin ma mOm all the way...she'd b like..."Just discover ur potential and developin it wl comeby"
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by beejaay: 10:45am On Jul 15, 2014
StannisNaharis: embarassed Well, I've always had the dream of becoming a successful lawyer, but here I am, studying geology. I'm not complaining but sometimes I just wish I had followed my dream.

its nt too late my dear... dont close-up on the information that came straight from your heart or u heart might start closing up on you

it will do u good and definitely inspire you if you u could read this book "THE ALCHEMIST"

2 Likes

Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 15, 2014

why wouldnt you just be honest and quote the original source instead of passing this off as your own wisdom? these are some of will smith's lines from the pursuit of happyness.
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by djeoziv(m): 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
Firat of all i was given geology and absented cos of parental advice.... Then was adviced on comp sci.....Though I enjoyed reading computer science enforced by parents, the programming aspect was hated.... I had to do a construction course and that's where I am hidged....

Bottom line is if u don't make up Ur mind early, u will live one day to know Ur slow tot and deceit of not disobeying sometimes was foolishness.

A simply conclusion is make valid and quick deciphering to build Ur future
Re: Your Parents Vs. Your Dreams: Leaving The Shadow Of Your Parents by coolguyone(m): 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2014
Anyi3:

busted
@OP
didn't read that loooooong epistle but I get your drift.
can u imagine ni my guy but we make we still give am applaud shaaaa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Finally Opens Up / She Said My Father Touched Her. / Couple Welcomess Triplets After 13 Years Of Childlessness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.