Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) (14751 Views)

Trailer Crushes Police Vehicle On Aba-Owerri Road (Photos) / What I Saw On The Street Of Port Harcourt / The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by jodeci(m): 12:20pm On Jul 14, 2014
C0llynzO2:
Then Rochas should at least mount pressure on Jonathan and FG like Amaechi did regarding east-west road.
Why is Rochas not saying anything about the road despite being in the opposition?
He wants to be in everyone's good books just because of a selfish ambition.
His Presidential ambition is obviously more important than the comfort of his people.

Leave Rochas Jor!! I have never seen such a leader all my life,he runs the state as a private kisosk enterprise.I trusted that man to a fault initially but alas! Ohakim was better.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Abagworo(m): 12:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

[b]I last saw Ndi Arab Contractors on that road last in 2012 into early 2013.

They have not been anywhere on that road since before June 2013 and now. I drive regularly and that road has not progressed an inch from where Arab Contractors stopped in 2012.

The funniest part of the stroy is that Rochas has pictures of the worked section of the road on his almanac of things achieved by his government. grin

Also, the quality of the worked section of that road is so poor in comparison with the job done by Setraco on the rivers axis of the same road. Whilst Setraco excavated the existing ground and used White sand to fill and compact the road before tarring, Arab contractors simply graded the road and layed down tar. grin No drainage (like the PH side has), nothing.

And yet some Imo State APC attack dogs (names witheld) would never call a spade by its real name despite it carry the clearly marked label on it. angry

Fhuck Rochas. angry Its should be a thing of shame that inbetween Rivers State and Lagos State, the worst road section is in Imo State. angry [/b]
. Why not call a spade what is is and bring FG to order. http://www.imostateblog.com/2013/03/28/nddc-has-failed-niger-delta-states-okorocha/ Governor Rochas Okorocha has called on the Federal Government to overhaul and reposition the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) to fast track speedy development of the Niger Delta states.

Governor Okorocha made this call while receiving the Minister of Niger Delta, Elder Godsday Orubebe who paid him a courtesy call at the Government House, Owerri.

He said that the leaders of the Niger Delta States owed the people explanation for the huge amount of money that had come into the states which have not been judiciously utilized, stressing that it is unfortunate that the states of Niger Delta have nothing to show for all the things that have been appropriated to NDDC.

Governor Okorocha who expressed his disappointment over the performances of NDDC, described it as a waste basket that is dropping money everywhere which could not meet the development need of the states for which it was created.

“This state does not feel the impact of NDDC at all, and I feel bad about it, I therefore call on the federal government to redirect the activities of the Niger Delta Commission for effective development of the Niger Delta states” he said.

Governor Okorocha decried that Imo State has been neglected despite its strategic position in the economic development of the country.  He regretted that Imo youths were shortchanged in the amnesty programme and called on those concerned to redress the issue.

Governor Okorocha decried the slow pace of work at the dualization of Owerri, Port Harcourt road being handled by Arab contractors and appealed to the Minister to urge them to ensure that the project is completed on time.

Speaking earlier, the Minister of Niger Delta, Elder Godsday Orubebe informed the Governor that he was in the state to invite him to the forthcoming conference of the council of the Niger Delta states that will soon hold in Ondo state.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by xammy(m): 1:13pm On Jul 14, 2014
GEJ is working
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by 1009ja: 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2014
I have traveled through that road and it is very deplorable. I hear the Works Minister that all Nigeria's highways are superb. I think it is his bank accounts that are superb. The contractors on that raod are gone, leaving it worse than they found it. Many drivers detour into the villages sometimes through the homes of the Umuapu people. The villagers are now resisting. With a major international airport in Omagwa, you would think that the federal government will upgrade all the access roads near it. But this is Nigeria; mediocrity rules and nobody is held accountable.

2 Likes

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Jeez! Nigeria is a horrible place indeed! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by idealsico(m): 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2014
The poster does not have the correct details of that road.Admitted, the road is in a very bad state.However,it is a federal road already undergoing reconstruction.It is practically impossible for the state government to either re-award the contract or as it stands, carry out any activity on it. The FG will view it that an opposition governor wants to ridicule it and score cheap political goal.Remember how Godsday Orubebe reacted when Amaechi offered to do the Rivers segment of the East - West road that was in a sorry state.I am not holding brief for the Imo state government but I know that Rochas had had cause to intervene on FG roads in the past, eg Aba - Owerri road,Owerri - Orlu,etc.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by vanndubi: 3:10pm On Jul 14, 2014
idealsico: The poster does not have the correct details of that road.Admitted, the road is in a very bad state.However,it is a federal road already undergoing reconstruction.It is practically impossible for the state government to either re-award the contract or as it stands, carry out any activity on it. The FG will view it that an opposition governor wants to ridicule it and score cheap political goal.Remember how Godsday Orubebe reacted when Amaechi offered to do the Rivers segment of the East - West road that was in a sorry state.I am not holding brief for the Imo state government but I know that Rochas had had cause to intervene on FG roads in the past, eg Aba - Owerri road,Owerri - Orlu,etc.

I said in the post that I don't know how govt do their thing but one thing applies, common sense. If IMG had intervened in the past like u mentioned, why can it intervene in this case, why?

October 8, 2006 at about 4pm was a moment I will never forget in my life. Insane armed robbers made us lay on the road at this same Umuapu. One pointed the nozzle of his locally made gun to my head .today, robbers they said on this thread still take advantage of the bad road .

Why can't IMG intervene to save law abiding citizens the high BP this road is causing .

Chai ,when will I visit Owerri (the city of my birth )again kiss cry
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by MadCow1: 4:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
all4naija: Jeez! Nigeria is a horrible place indeed! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry

You are a federal grade Bastard Anchor baby. angry

1 Like

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Douglasdale(m): 5:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

Cool Gee..

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/912134_main_glb_corp_localep-ngHOMEPHC1l0239211DocumentsNew_Folder_21083_jpg065cc7e097142c6ca1c0d99edc1d908f[/img]

If Amaechi had used the same excuse, we all would be suffering the same shiit in Rivers State.. grin

But You and Rochas have chosen to hide behind this sign board;

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/912133_main_glb_corp_localep-ngHOMEPHC1l0239211DocumentsNew_Folder_21079_jpg15cd94420f22f2517ad70ba087c76066[/img]

Goodluck to Ndi Imo State.. You deserve the Government you got. grin

Meanwhile, both signboards are at the boundary of the same road.. Whilst Rivers State Government took responsibility and built theirs to premium standards, Imo State have absolved themselves of all responsibility choosing to hide behind the signboard I posted above. grin

O!! And both state governors are supporter of APC party members, so whats with the PDP comment?! Amaechi even has it worse than Rochas.. grin

Oga!!! I am sure I have settled this matter. Whatt are u driving at? Is IMO and rivers state on the same budgetory level? Will u re award a contract the federal govt is working on A contract the fededral govt is finding difficult to execute? A road that is 65% complete? Are u sure u have a grasp of what is on ground? Why has the Lagos state govt refused to dualise the Lagos Ibadan expressway? Or riverstate not done the east west road if I use your warped logic? I can't continue to waste my time on blockuses Jare.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Spirit1(m): 6:04pm On Jul 14, 2014
That road is in a terrible condition. GEJ we are watching. Call your boys to order and have the contractors awarded this road complete it. You don't want Nigerians to begin to think that this is another political settlement sir
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Sunbellar: 6:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
That road is nightmare. I was twice on that road last month and the experience was terrible.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by InvertedHammer: 6:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
vanndubi: It is with heavy heart I present before the house, the deplorable condition of part of Port Harcourt /Owerri federal road.

The last time I visited Owerri was in November 2013. By then, RSG has completed its section of the expressway on behalf of FG and IMG was working from Owerri end on behalf of FG. I was in PH on Saturday and I decided to travel to Owerri on Sunday to spend the day there. Sunday morning, I hit the road.

I was hoping to have a jolly good ride. Omagwa to Elele was less than 20 mins n I was like cool but on entering Imo, I was like sad why has the contractor not completed the work to merge with the completed Rivers side.

I was like shocked when I came face-to-face a sight very difficult for me to describe. I started having doubts if I was in 2014. It was like a war tore area like it was 1970 just after the civil war or like Okigwe /Afikpo federal road back in the 90s.

I looked at my phone to confirm the date. Lo n behold, it was 2014 shocked shocked shocked A trunk A road linking two cities in African's Biggest economy. I was about to have a fit undecidedwhen I saw a truck carrying 20ft container literally broken into two(possibly as a result of bad road). My phone still in my hands, I decided to take a few shots.

FG should remember that federal roads are their responsibility, that IMG is only helping, that imo citizens pay their taxes like anyother citizen of Nigeria and that "there is God in everything we are doing. Then, to IMG, why start FG project when you know you cannot finish it, why?

I don't know exactly how government works but I am appealing to Owelle to do his best to complete the Imo side of the road. Maka ndi Igbo n'asi n'ihe foro otu, agwula agwu. Ana achu aja, ka ikpe ana ama ndi mmuo.

Hope after posting this, sleep will come (I'm still recovering from the shock of yesterday's morning) undecided
/

Is this a new style?

\
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by meforyou1(m): 6:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blame it on ayotolla Okorocha of apc.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Blockus: 6:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
Douglasdale:

Oga!!! I am sure I have settled this matter. Whatt are u driving at? Is IMO and rivers state on the same budgetory level? Will u re award a contract the federal govt is working on A contract the fededral govt is finding difficult to execute? A road that is 65% complete? Are u sure u have a grasp of what is on ground? Why has the Lagos state govt refused to dualise the Lagos Ibadan expressway? Or riverstate not done the east west road if I use your warped logic? I can't continue to waste my time on blockuses Jare.

You don't have money to build road. How did rivers State government manage to do this then? And please what milestone do you people use to judge percentage complete Abeg wey you give that road 65% complete?

1 Like

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Douglasdale(m): 7:25pm On Jul 14, 2014
Blockus:

You don't have money to build road. How did rivers State government manage to do this then? And please what milestone do you people use to judge percentage complete Abeg wey you give that road 65% complete?

Ogbeni u no get talk abeg. Just try and Google Rivers state bugetory allocation and IGR as against IMO state own before u continue to dey yarn dust.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by obitobe: 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2014
i was on this road too on Sunday morning on my way to Owerri and i was literally very heart broken, that this road is getting worse by the day, i saw the broken down truck and i am seriously sicken by this government. i heard that the reason why the Imo state Government stopped work on that road is because it is politically motivated. That the governor of IMO state is not in good terms with GEJ. Imagine even when i was coming back to PH i saw this government convoyed passing inside the village bypass in other to avoid that bad road. Smh for them.

1 Like

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by millionaireman: 9:01pm On Jul 14, 2014
Does President Jonathan and his ministers care about the road? Political decampees from APC to PDP in many other states outside Imo are rewarded by Jonah with multi billion Naira federal projects, or least, ministerial appointments. Decampee Shekarau has just been appointed Education Minister. But Imo decampees from APC to PDP got nothing - nothing since last February they displayed traditional wears with Jonah in Owerri and Orlu. Jonah and PDP seem to take Support of Imolites for granted. Today, close to 120,000 qualified applicants to university education from Imo state have no chance. Does Jonah and his ministers and PDP care?
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Nobody: 3:47am On Jul 15, 2014
MadCow1:

You are a federal grade Bastard Anchor baby. angry
You smelling barbarian! lipsrsealed
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by vanndubi: 5:45am On Jul 15, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/

Is this a new style?

\

Words were not able to express my emotions grin grin grin
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by vanndubi: 6:24am On Jul 15, 2014
millionaireman: Does President Jonathan and his ministers care about the road? Political decampees from APC to PDP in many other states outside Imo are rewarded by Jonah with multi billion Naira federal projects, or least, ministerial appointments. Decampee Shekarau has just been appointed Education Minister. But Imo decampees from APC to PDP got nothing - nothing since last February they displayed traditional wears with Jonah in Owerri and Orlu. Jonah and PDP seem to take Support of Imolites for granted. Today, close to 120,000 qualified applicants to university education from Imo state have no chance. Does Jonah and his ministers and PDP care?

That convoy passed us at Imo poly after bullying us off that jaga-jaga road. I just could not help but to bury my head in shame

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by millionaireman: 6:41am On Jul 15, 2014
vanndubi:

That convoy passed us at Imo poly after bullying us off that jaga-jaga road. I just could not help but to bury my head in shame
Those Imo state politicians that decamped to PDP, this is the time to tell the government what they want or why they decamped. This road is a shame. Imo state does not get as much revenue as Rivers state which constructed its part of the road.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Blockus: 4:20pm On Jul 15, 2014
Douglasdale:

2 signboards.. 2 Governors... Same Political Party, Same 13% derivation, Same level or power.... SAME ROAD.

1 took responsibility and built the road.

The other said; 'its not my road to build'.

grin

Everything else is irrelevant.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Douglasdale(m): 11:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
Blockus:

2 signboards.. 2 Governors... Same Political Party, Same 13% derivation, Same level or power.... SAME ROAD.

1 took responsibility and built the road.

The other said; 'its not my road to build'.

grin

Everything else is irrelevant.

Illiteracy is a very big issue with young people in Nigeria.
how did an NDDC/ Ministry of Niger Delta affairs project board turn into Rochas and Imo State Govt excuse not to construct a Trunk A road
i just hope you listen to yourself sometimes, is 13percent of 1million barrels and 13percent of 6000 barrels the same? is Imo and rivers on ths same pedestral in Oil production? ArE U LITERATE

Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by Blockus: 6:31am On Jul 16, 2014
Douglasdale:

Illiteracy is a very big issue with young people in Nigeria.
how did an NDDC/ Ministry of Niger Delta affairs project board turn into Rochas and Imo State Govt excuse not to construct a Trunk A road
i just hope you listen to yourself sometimes, is 13percent of 1million barrels and 13percent of 6000 barrels the same? is Imo and rivers on ths same pedestral in Oil production? ArE U LITERATE

Hahahahahahaa,

Actually, I don't consider myself to be literate, but even the graduates of Rochas' free IMSU program still don't match up to me as evidenced in your rebuttal.

Your government chose to hide behind the NDDC board, Rivers State took responsibility and stepped up to the plate. If you can't see that, then I can't be blamed for your poor comprehension skills.
Re: Pitiable condition of Port Harcourt /Owerri road (Umuapu axis) by austine4real(m): 3:09pm On Jul 16, 2014
[quote author=lynpetraNigerians are used to .These roads are as old as moses white beards.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Living In Indian / British Army Recruitment (Hopefuls) Lets Gather Here / No Plane Crashed In Lagos - FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.