Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,862 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? (58502 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cities In Africa 2015 [photos] / 8 Most Developed Towns/Cities In The South-South In Pictures. / 8 Most Beautiful Island Countries In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by eaglechild: 1:11am On Jul 15, 2014
Abuja

This comes as no surprise, Abuja is an expensive city even by world standards.
Politicians who have made Abuja their abode have an unending stash that drive up prices.
With record breaking real estate costs. A detached 6 bedroom duplex in Maitama or Asokoro goes for anything from 500 million to 1 billion naira!! (Google is your friend). Food is more affordable, so far it is not processed.
Of course there are less expensive suburbs but you have to endure longer commutes to the city centre.

Port Harcourt

Being Nigeria's oil capital has it's downsides.
PH is expensive, infact it is arguably on average more expensive than Abuja.
It has a significant number of upper middle class from the oil sector and other walks of life.
Food is particularly overpriced in PH and so is decent accommodation.
What of private schools in PH, they will certainly make you consider the number of children you want to have.

Lagos

The nation's economic capital is what you want it to be for you in terms of cost.
However, if you want comfort and security in the form of accommodation, you will have to pay very dearly.
Especially if you work on the island. A room, parlour and Kitchen in Ikoyi, VI or Lekki can range from 400 to 600k per annum. Of course most people are left no choice than to endure the long commute to work and back.
Those working on the mainland have cheaper options to explore.
Lagos however, has the advantage of availability of cheaper consumer goods from clothing, household components to cars.
But the stress does come at a price.

Owerri

This may come as a surprise but Owerri's unique location in the SE heartland has made it a popular destination. This has driven up the cost of living.
A 3 bedroom flat goes for an average of 30k a month.
Food is more expensive relative to other SE cities. Even with the rate of new hotels being built, hotel rooms are still expensive. And the cost of labour in this town is high.

Uyo

This blossoming city, has grown tremendously in a short time and so has the cost of living.
Real estate prices have shot up, and cost of transport has also gone up.
If you are young and looking to save money in Uyo, you just have to cook your food.
The good side is that you actually get a higher quality of life at a relatively OK cost.

Calabar

This former capital of Nigeria continues to attract people with its serene environment and friendly residents.
But this does not come cheap. Calabar's conformity drives up cost.
In December Calabar goes up higher on the list as thousands flood in for the famous carnival.

Warri

This city is quite similar to PH
The presence of the refinery/oil sector has made the cost of living here well above other Nigerian cities.

Enugu

This city is experiencing a real estate boom and what many residents took for granted in terms of rent, is beginning to bite. Enugu's improved road network, security and international airport together with its regional status, continues to attract wealthy retirees and returnees. This has slowly started driving up prices.
Labour and food are still relatively affordable.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Dreal1247: 1:46am On Jul 15, 2014
I think, after Abuja, Lagos and Ph, Warri comes in. Thats why i was not surprised when the op wrote 'like Post Hacourt'.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:57am On Jul 15, 2014
Is Lagos really expensive?!!...

purewater is 5naira

Gala 50 naira

La casera 100 naira

Transport is cheap....

House rent I is reasonable in most areas

Abeg Lagos is not expensive Jor....

77 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by kibo: 4:05am On Jul 15, 2014
JeffreyJamez: Is Lagos really expensive?!!...

purewater is 5naira

Gala 50 naira

La casera 100 naira

Transport is cheap....

Comedian .... how market?? U don chop so??

22 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by AlienfromMars: 4:51am On Jul 15, 2014

purewater is 5naira

Gala 50 naira

La casera 100 naira

Transport is cheap....

true talk joor. Lagos is not expensive. I have been to Lagos times without number. The only thing that is expensive their is accomodation. Imagine ordinary Benin city still sells pure water 10naira.

23 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by McWhillion(m): 6:37am On Jul 15, 2014
I think most Eastern and South Eastern cities are quite expensive to live in. No South Western city should be up there including Lagos. Things are way more expensive in a typical Eastern village than in Lagos.

14 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 15, 2014
Port harcourt is very expensive, the only reason abuja should be 1st on that list is high cost of real estate and rent.
nice review op

3 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 15, 2014

purewater is 5naira

Gala 50 naira

La casera 100 naira

Transport is cheap....

this statement shows you haven't set foot outside lagos.

Enugu is not that expensive, but house rent is what's killing us here.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by sublimes: 6:54am On Jul 15, 2014
@Op, Yenagoa should come first on that list. Everything is damn expensive in that town.

38 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 15, 2014

purewater is 5naira

Gala 50 naira

La casera 100 naira

Transport is cheap....

I think lagos is expensive, check out school fees (primary and secondary), accomodation, transportation (if you own a car, traffic will make you use more fuel than you are supposed to). Being expensive isn't all about food, you have to look @ all the basic need of life.

27 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Noneroone(m): 7:01am On Jul 15, 2014
McWhillion: I think most Eastern and South Eastern cities are quite expensive to live in. No South Western city should be up there including Lagos. Things are way more expensive in a typical Eastern village than in Lagos.
The topic is about cities and not villages.

34 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 15, 2014
McWhillion: I think most Eastern and South Eastern cities are quite expensive to live in. No South Western city should be up there including Lagos. Things are way more expensive in a typical Eastern village than in Lagos.
I don't agree with you, lagos should be on that list, most people don't know what it takes to train children in a comfortable housing in lagos. The cheapest areas in lagos will be probably ikotun, egbe, igando and environs are relatively more expensive than most cities in nigeria. The only thing cheap in lagos is food and maybe clothings.

1 Like

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 15, 2014
Owerri my city is the las vegas of Nigeria,. While Enugu is another beautiful place smiley smiley• •

14 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by sluvy4tune(m): 7:26am On Jul 15, 2014
Kindly remove Uyo from that list please. Uyo will be expensive(maybe in 3-5years) from now, but at the moment cost of living in Uyo is cheap.

My 2 bedroom apartment, in the heart of the town,interlocked compound with gate,fence round and well sized up bedroom I got it for 250k.( have also seen 3bedroom for 250k as well nice compound)The environment is cool & the house is a virgin house(freshly build) that's why some would say is that expensive.

My 3 bedroom office space with 2 toilet,interlocked compound also in the centre of the town went for 300k, thou not a virgin apartment but very decent and nice 3storey building.

Taking cabs/keke is also very affordable, the price ranges from #30 -#50, if you want a drop it goes for about #150-#200

Journey of 20mins is 20mins no matter the hold up (that's if you encounter any ) I leave my house by 8:49am to catch up an appointment with some1 by 9am and I am rest assure I will get there promptly.

Finally if you wanna relax/chill a movie ticket at silverbird in Uyo is just #250 grin my first time I tot it was a joke

Considering where I am coming from Abuja/Phc I consider Uyo the cheapest for now. An average abuja /ph Guy is a top notch celeb (money no be problem) in Uyo.
For babes matter na u go tire especially if you be Corper. Don't know why but ibom ladies love corpers wink Akwa ibom ladies truly know how to keep a man. Food and other wise.

Mbok if you see chicken for #200 u go delete this thread.

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 15, 2014
sluvy4tune: Kindly remove Uyo from that list please. Uyo will be expensive(maybe in 3-5years) from now, but at the moment cost of living in Uyo is cheap.

My 2 bedroom apartment, in the heart of the town,interlocked compound with gate,fence round and well sized up bedroom I got it for 250k.The environment is cool & the house is a virgin house(freshly build) that's why some would say is that expensive.

My 3 bedroom office space with 2 toilet,interlocked compound also in the centre of the town went for 300k, thou not a virgin apartment but very decent and nice 3storey building.

Taking cabs/keke is also very affordable, the price ranges from #30 -#50, if you want a drop it goes for about #150-#200

Journey of 20mins is 20mins no matter the hold up (that's if you encounter any ) I leave my house by 8:49am to catch up an appointment with some1 by 9am and I am rest assure I will get there promptly.

Finally if you wanna relax/chill a movie ticket at silverbird in Uyo is just #250 grin my first time I tot it was a joke

Considering where I am coming from Abuja/Phc I consider Uyo the cheapest for now. An average abuja /ph Guy is a top notch celeb (money no be problem) in Uyo.
For babes matter na u go tire especially if you be Corper. Don't know why but ibom ladies love corpers wink Akwa ibom ladies truly know how to keep a man. Food and other wise.

Mbok if you see chicken for #200 u go delete this thread.

About the movies, do they screen new movies? I don't usually see their cinema listed in the newspaper ads of new movies.
Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 15, 2014
django1:

About the movies, do they screen new movies? I don't usually see their cinema listed in the newspaper ads of new movies.
yap, they do show new movies, I was in uyo few months back, I really don't see anything expensive about uyo for now, I spent a month somewhere along abak road.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by sluvy4tune(m): 7:42am On Jul 15, 2014
django1:

Yea they do, all movies both new & old goes for #250

1 Like

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by decode55(m): 7:44am On Jul 15, 2014
Port Harcourt is arguably the most expensive city to live in

6 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Valentinooo: 7:58am On Jul 15, 2014
The major problem of these places is accommodation. Once the accommodation is out you see them as average places to live in

3 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Iykopee(m): 8:09am On Jul 15, 2014
kai, PH na die. Common 2 bedroom flat na 500k per annum. In highbrow areas, like new GRA and old GRA, u will start planning to purchase a land and build ur own house cos 600k for a year rent is no childs play.

1 Like

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Omexonomy: 8:17am On Jul 15, 2014
Lagos PH warri and abuja are the most expensive cities to live in

1 Like

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by EddyNumerouno(m): 8:18am On Jul 15, 2014
It has to be abj cry cry cry
With all these politicians and their kids, abj is the most expensive especially for a town that has little iGR
Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 15, 2014
Omexonomy: Lagos PH warri and abuja are the most expensive cities to leave in
Really? undecided

15 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 15, 2014
Iykopee: kai, PH na die. Common 2 bedroom flat na 500k per annum. In highbrow areas, like new GRA and old GRA, u will start planning to purchase a land and build ur own house cos 600k for a year rent is no childs play.
dat means ph is cheap na, if you pay 500k per annum in GRA, some parts in lagos pay 1.2million per annum.

7 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by McWhillion(m): 8:47am On Jul 15, 2014
Noneroone: The topic is about cities and not villages.
Then you've missed the point here, if an Eastern village is more expensive to live in than Lagos, do one need to tell you that it would be much more expensive to live in their cities.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 15, 2014
McWhillion:
Then you've missed the point here, if an Eastern village is more expensive to live in than Lagos, do one need to tell you that it would be much more expensive to live in their cities.
Lool, don't mind the moro.n!!

4 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Noneroone(m): 8:56am On Jul 15, 2014
McWhillion:
re u serious? So you mean transportion, accomodation etc are cheaper in lagos than in "Eastern villages"?

2 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 15, 2014
Its just a shame that Ppl in places like Lagos and PHC spend a chunk of their income on Accommodation and general living with little or nothing left to plan. Why should sm1 pay 350k for an "OK" 2-b/rm apartment in surulere? How much is the minimum wage? What is the per-capita to Nigeria? The govt need to fix the economy and provide low cost housing for the populace.
Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by McWhillion(m): 9:01am On Jul 15, 2014
customized13: I don't agree with you, lagos should be on that list, most people don't know what it takes to train children in a comfortable housing in lagos. The cheapest areas in lagos will be probably ikotun, egbe, igando and environs are relatively more expensive than most cities in nigeria. The only thing cheap in lagos is food and maybe clothings.
Do your research well, I'm surprised that Bayelsa State didn't appear on that list when you talk of expensive housing, I have a friend who along with 4 others had to share a very shabby but very expensive room in Bayelsa during his service year. You never know this things until you interact with guys who are based in places other than the North and the South West.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 15, 2014
Noneroone: re u serious? So you mean transportion, accomodation etc are cheaper in lagos than in "Eastern villages"?
just felt I should ask for your permission "should we derail this thread"?

2 Likes

Re: 8 Most Expensive Cities In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 15, 2014
McWhillion:
dude what is expensive in eastern villages? Is it the cost of getting a wife or accoMmodation?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The New Lagos Airport Terminal That Will Be Commissioned In April 2020 / How Painful US Visa Denial Could Be.... / You Won't Believe This Road Is In Aba!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.