Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State (4253 Views)

See Photos Of Soldiers At Capital Oil Station + What They Did To Two Customers.. / APC Drags Patience Jonathan To ICC / APC Drags PDP to Tribunal Over Fayose’s Election as Governor of Ekiti State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by ceo4eva: 2:09pm On Jul 16, 2014
Members of the ruling All
Progressives Congress (APC) in Osun State, South-West Nigeria, have approached a Federal High Court in Lagos for an injunction restraining President Goodluck Jonathan from deploying military personnel for election activities at the forthcoming August 9 gubernatorial election in Osun State.

In a suit lodged today at the Federal
High Court, the party is seeking the
following reliefs:

I. A declaration that, by the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as altered), it is ultra vires the President of Federal Republic of Nigeria to deploy members of the armed forces to Osun State for the purpose of the conduct of the gubernatorial election scheduled to hold on August 9, 2014.

II. A declaration that, by the
Provisions of the Constitution of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as altered), it is ultra vires the President of Federal Republic of Nigeria to deploy members of the armed forces to Osun State during the conduct of the gubernatorial election scheduled to hold on August 9, 2014 whether to supervise, monitor or regulate the
procedure of the said election or for
any other purpose whatsoever.

III. An Order of this Honourable Court restraining the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from
deploying members of the armed forces to Osun State for the purpose of or during the conduct of the gubernatorial election scheduled to hold on August 9, 2014 whether to
supervise, monitor or regulate the procedure of the said election or for any other purpose whatsoever.

In the suit filed on behalf of APC by
Dr. Muiz A. Banire of M. A. Banire &
Associates, Legal Practitioners, the
party is seeking for the determination of the following question:

1. Whether, having regard to the
supremacy of the Constitution and
the clear provisions of section 217(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended), it is not ultra vires the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to deploy members of the
armed forces to Osun State for the purpose of supervision, monitoring or regulation the conduct of the
gubernatorial election scheduled to
hold on August 9, 2014 or for any
other purpose whatsoever.

The Originating Summons is supported by a 15-paragraph affidavit deposed to by an APC member, Kufisile Olufemi Michael.
News Express reports that militarisation of the recent governorship election in neighbouring Ekiti State is one of the reasons given by APC for its loss of the coveted seat to the Peoples Democratic Party – the party at the centre, which controls both the police and the military.

http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=6654&title=APC-sues-Jonathan-over-Aug.-9-Osun-governorship-election,-seeks-to-stop-deployment-of-soldiers

2 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Firefire(m): 2:10pm On Jul 16, 2014
Failed on ARRIVAL.

Case dismissed for lack of Evidence grin

16 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2014
Interesting development. Let the courts have its say.

11 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2014
Demdem: Interesting development. Let the courts have its say.

You and I know that this is an exercise in futility.

2 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

You and I know that this is an exercise in futility.

You and ur co horts no doubt. I choose to wait for what the court will say.

16 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Oklander: 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2014
For this Naija! Court go hardly fit judge against incumbent powers... But God dey!

1 Like

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
Demdem:

You and ur co horts no doubt. I choose to wait for what the court will say.

Cry me an ocean son!

7 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

Cry me an ocean son!

Because I choose to wait for a court decision eh which is 50-50?
U are going nuts no doubt.

13 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Jaideyone(m): 2:32pm On Jul 16, 2014
Nice move... The tyrant should stop using soldiers to attack apc

9 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by thunderrider: 2:38pm On Jul 16, 2014
Is it that they don't want peace during the election

or what is all this noise about?

Any alterior motives

A free and fair election is what we want

let one man one vote be the order of the day

10 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by oshyno(m): 2:39pm On Jul 16, 2014
I see no problem in deploying military in an election. Ordinarily this is not supposed to be so bcuz we are not in war but the antics of current politicians make that a neccesity. I remember hw Segun Oni was removed from office: there was violence in some LGAs where he has strong supporters . Court cancelled elections in those places therby making d current governor d winner. These politicians incite violence in area they know they stand no chance . If deploying military will make it free n fair am all 4 it.

Moreover GEJ is d CinC and so has d right to deploy military anywhere he fells peace threatened but let's see what d court comes up with.

12 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 2:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
thunderrider: Is it that they don't want peace during the election

or what is all this noise about?

Any alterior motives

A free and fair election is what we want

let one man one vote be the order of the day

It's neither here or there. The Nigerian police controlled by the FG is more than enough and should be capable to secure the elections. Bringing in soldiers that ought to be fighting in sambisa to secure votes is suspicious. There have been allegations that the soldiers are being used to intimidate the electorates. We all witnessed how soldiers stopped party leaders from moving freely to campaign for their candidates days before the election simply because they aren't in the ruling party.
Imo, wherever the decision of the courts go, the people should be courageous and rise above all forms of intimidation and vote for their desires candidate.
I don't think the military should be used for electoral matters. It's far beneath them.

9 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by DebateNigeria: 2:50pm On Jul 16, 2014
There is no guarantee that the election will be peaceful without the military. We need strong evidence that military was used to rig elections before we can stop military presence in elections. Edo, Anambra, Ondo and Ekiti all had military presence (reason why there were no post election violence).

9 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
oshyno: I see no problem in deploying military in an election. Ordinarily this is not supposed to be so bcuz we are not in war but the antics of current politicians make that a neccesity. I remember hw Segun Oni was removed from office: there was violence in some LGAs where he has strong supporters . Court cancelled elections in those places therby making d current governor d winner. These politicians incite violence in area they know they stand no chance . If deploying military will make it free n fair am all 4 it.

Moreover GEJ is d CinC and so has d right to deploy military anywhere he fells peace threatened but let's see what d court comes up with.

Good points u raised but the question is do u think the Nigerian Police, civil defence and other para military agencies aren't capable of curtailing such skimishes? Why unleash our last resort for such small small things? With time, the people will become immune to such and govt will find itself in a big mess with no other alternatives.

3 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by blacksta(m): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
I thought the Army had enough task to do containing Boko Haram.

I have never seen this kind of desperation for Power from any Nigerian Former Leaders.

GeJ WILL definitely end up in Jail after his tenure -

5 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Hostermipo(m): 2:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
Jaideyone: Nice move... The tyrant should stop using soldiers to attack apc
attack? why are Apc members scared, or are they planning something unlawful that they are afraid the military will uncover, why are they scared?

3 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by mainheart(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
why afraid for ur ability
Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by OduntanGabriel(m): 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 16, 2014
The soldiers denied the APC the oppoerunity to "roast" fellow Nigerians with "rigging" as excuse.

They are not happy with that.

10 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by unuane1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
GEJ is not the first president making use of soldiers during election period so why the noise now? l think and believe that APC have their motives for not wanting soldiers to be used. Them wan do what Tinubu knows what to do best.

8 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by reedonne: 3:49pm On Jul 16, 2014
Demdem:

Good points u raised but the question is do u think the Nigerian Police, civil defence and other para military agencies aren't capable of curtailing such skimishes? Why unleash our last resort for such small small things? With time, the people will become immune to such and govt will find itself in a big mess with no other alternatives.
The problem is that thug are not afraid of the police but when they hear the word "army" they run away immediately.
Everybody respect the army unlike the police who play with them, any mistake and the soldier will show them that they are just "bloodly civilians"

9 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 3:54pm On Jul 16, 2014
reedonne:
The problem is that thug are not afraid of the police but when they hear the word "army" they run away immediately.
Everybody respect the army unlike the police who play with them, any mistake and the soldier will show them that they are just "bloodly civilians"

The fear with that is it didn't start that way, after sometime the citizens will get used to the army also and back to square one.
The police must be made professionals?why must it be in Nigeria that Nigerians don't respect the police.
It's highly nauseating seeing the military manning polling booths, haba.

4 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by ELOGBO: 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
APC Steps is alway against the wish of the people: Now tell me Is the present of Army again security?

3 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by reedonne: 4:02pm On Jul 16, 2014
Demdem:

The fear with that is it didn't start tgat way, after sometime the citizens will get used to the army also and back to square one.
The police must be made professionals?why must it be in Nigeria that Nigerians don't respect the police.
It's highly nauseating seeing the military manning polling booths, haba.
Yes we must but we cant finish that before election day.
I live in Ede and on the day of aregbesola's campaign in Ede, supporter (or thug) of PDP and APC clash, also Adeleke and Adejare's thug can cause another problem so I think we need good security on election day.

5 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 4:05pm On Jul 16, 2014
reedonne:
Yes we must but we cant finish that before election day.
I live in Ede and on the day of aregbesola's campaign in Ede, supporter (or thug) of PDP and APC clash, also Adeleke and Adejare's thug can cause another problem so I think we need good security on election day.

Good security the Nigerian Police even till now despite their current imperfections is capable of handling.

1 Like

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Chienyego: 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2014
but they praised jonathan when he deployed those soldiers during the edo state election which oshiobaba eventually won. they didn't see it as a crime then. they called it a "victory for democracy" because they won that state.

during the imo state election, ohakim's rigging machinery was in hot pursuit of rochas' votes, with rochas winning in 12 LGAs while ohakim was winning in 11 (thanks to his strong rigging of course). due to the high malpractice, it was declared inconclusive, and a rerun in the remaining 4 LGAs was slated for another day.
jonathan deployed soldiers in imo state to block any chances of rigging. tanks were everywhere, khaki trousers all over the place.
eventually, oguta LGA was canceled, and rochas won the rest of the 3 LGAs like he was supposed to. APGA won and PDP lost rightfully. nobody complained or accused jonathan of rigging then.

why are these people complaining now? are they afraid their rigging chances are going to be closed off? Why didn't they complain when soldiers were deployed to the other states they eventually won?
isn't this hypocrisy?

17 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by ratiken(m): 4:13pm On Jul 16, 2014
This is a no-brainer. Irresective of what the courts say..... The military folks will be mobilized and can be justified that security agencies had intelligence of planned violence.

Now the brainer is.... Why will a party that should be interested in a peaceful election be the ones asking that the agents of peace be withdrawn. Another proof that APC is RAW EVIL.

17 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by koboko69: 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2014
Good move. If those soldiers were deployed to assist thier brothers in the NE, it will have had positive impact.
Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by ibietela2(m): 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2014
Demdem:

It's neither here or there. The Nigerian police controlled by the FG is more than enough and should be capable to secure the elections. Bringing in soldiers that ought to be fighting in sambisa to secure votes is suspicious. There have been allegations that the soldiers are being used to intimidate the electorates. We all witnessed how soldiers stopped party leaders from moving freely to campaign for their candidates days before the election simply because they aren't in the ruling party.
Imo, wherever the decision of the courts go, the people should be courageous and rise above all forms of intimidation and vote for their desires candidate.
I don't think the military should be used for electoral matters. It's far beneath them.

You mean 80,000 Nigerian soldiers should all be deployed to the forest?

6 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by gratiaeo(m): 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
Effort in futility if u ask me.
Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by eluquenson(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
That's why I love this quote.
"Equity aid the vigilant, not the indolent"
Obanikoro & GEJ are sharp guys & very proactive. Make them go heaven go judge the case, PEE D PEE will triumph.

APC are Cockroaches, Rat,Rapist & Sodomisers-says Fani Kayode

I hate politics

2 Likes

Re: APC Drags Jonathan to Court Over Deployment Of Soldiers in Osun State by Demdem(m): 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2014
ibietela2:

You mean 80,000 Nigerian soldiers should all be deployed to the forest?

If that is what it will take to uproot evil boko and bring our girls back, so be it. I give the generals such discretion to make the call.
Guarding polling booths is beneath them I insist.
Let it be noted that this practice didn't start from Jonathan administration, obj also used soldiers and it's highly condemnable.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yorubas And Hausas Should Be Thankful To Niger Delta / Breaking: Brazil’s President-elect Recognizes Jerusalem. / Kano-Pics of Sen Kwankwaso On His Way To Bichi Lga For PDP Governorship Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.