Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,695 members, 7,809,622 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Behold The Jewel Of My Heart - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Behold The Jewel Of My Heart (31011 Views)

Captor Of My Heart: The Tamers. / Thomas Hardy "tess Of The D'urbervilles & Whole Soyinka "the Lion & The Jewel&quot / E-book, Wole Soyinka's Lion And The Jewel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 8:17am On Jul 17, 2014
ALL RIGHT RESERVED.
<<>>>
DEDICATED TO GOD FOR HIS INSPIRATION
₹₹₹₹
Your comment and constructive criticism is highly welcome.
^^^^
<<<<<CHAPTER 1>>>>>
They avenue where Ubong-Abasi lives was serene. Residential street were naturally calm at noon because, most inhabitants were away at their different places of work. Student were at schools while children and maids would always remain indoor.
Ubong stepped out of his house and stood at the stairway. He held the hand rail and gazed at the blazing hot sun. He felt reluctant to attend school but he had no choice, since the manager of Destiny Soccer Academy had announced to them that Mikel Obi would came and showcase to them soccer free-styles.
He wearily plodded into the street. As he turned to the street leading to Destiny Soccer Academy, a stranger emerged, looking so weary.
Ubong walked to her.
'Hi girl.' he greeted.
'Hi.' she responded in grief not minding the intruder.
'please sorry for any inconvenience I might be causing you.' Ubong said.
'you are not a problem to me.' she turned and faced him.
At this point, ubong was lost in thought. All he could see was a perfect African woman, a queen in the making. She was dark in complexion, tall and had a beautiful figure eight shape, with round face, a pointed more and a dreadlock. He could see himself with her having fun as paramour. He caressed her brittols and was about snogging her, suddenly, a voiced jolted into his reverie.
'Hello, are you ok?" Amy asked.
'Are you a stranger? He asked sheepishly.
'Not really a stranger. I have been seeing you for a couple of months now.'
'So where are you going?'
'Am running errand for my mother.' she replied
'your face... look sad.' He stuttered. 'will you like to share your problem with me?'
'Hmm...' she sighed. 'It's a long story.'
'If so, my gaff is at that street.' Ubong pointed his finger to the direction leading to his house. 'Come with me.'
'Oh no! Thank you for your consent.' she rebuffed
'Don't worry, I mean no harm to you, I might be of help. Please come with me.' Ubong extended his hand. She held his hand and nodded in agreement.

1 Like

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 11:19am On Jul 17, 2014
~~~~~CHAPTER 2~~~~~
They arrived at Ubong-Abasi's house. Amy gazed at the beauty of the gaff. It was a duplex. The outside of the house were decorated with flowers and greenery, with a picket fence. One could stan3 outside and glanced at the beauty of this house. It was painted purple and white with white tiles on the ground. In front of the house, there was a sunshade with sun lounger and a plastic table. At the left side of the house, there was a swing and a swimming pool. At the right, there was a vegetable patch and a small football field.
'come in, please.' ubong tapped her on the shoulder.
'I think I will be comfortable here.' she voiced out after a long numb.
'No! No! No! ' ubong shook his head in disapproval. 'my house is your house.'
Amy followed him silently. She wondered why he was treating her like she was special.
She was astounded to see the inside of the house. The walls and ground were tiles purple and white with vaulted ceiling. At the four corner of the living room, there was a house plant of narcissus. There was a love seat and a bowlegged centre table, a plasma television mounted on the wall and a home theatre.
'your parent might have spent a fortune to build this mansion.' Amy said.
'yes they spend a fortune.'
His memory flashed back to the time when his parent were alive. On that fateful day, his elder brother Max, just graduated summa cum laude from california. His parent and sibling went to the airport to welcome him home.
On their way coming home, their car collided with articulated lorry due to brake failure. It hit a kerb and sumersault into the air. When it finally landed, it exploded. There was no survival.
He remembered, he had wished for suicide, but it wasn't an option. He spent a year looking at their pictures, praying to wake up from the nightmare but it was reality.
The people he loved most were all gone. Tears welled up his eyes. Desperately, he fought back the tears.
Amy who was looking around, turned and saw his saddened face.
'Hey! Are you ok?' she walked closer and touched him.
'Yes am fine, darling.' he replied.
'please be seated.'
'Am Amaka but you can call me Amy.' she said with a grimaced.
Ubong noticed her grim face but he ignored her.
'Ok, am sorry. Am Ubong- abasi.'
'meaning what? She muttered.
'Are you not from Akwa Ibom State?'
'Hmm.' she nodded.
'It means the glory of God.'
'nice name.' she complimented him.
'Thanks. So what can I offer you?
'Nothing. You said you were going to help me that was why I followed you.' she complianed
'Ok but first, I will get you a drink before we go on with the matter at hand.' Ubong replied.
'Anyway.' she snapped
Ubong went to the bar and brought out strawberry juice with an egg cup. He shared the drink.
'what is this crucial thing that so perturb my sweetie?'
'Jesus Christ!' Amy murmured. 'can't you take correction for once?' she hissed. 'were you this poor academically?'
'very poor especially in arithmetic.'
ubong giggled.
He stared at her and grabbed her hand. 'are you going to tell what is troubling your tender heart?' he said with a smile.
'I hope you are Mr fixit.'
'that is my name.' he let go of her.
'you are hilarious.' Amy smiled sweetly.
'thanks for the compliment. I will love to see those smiles on your face forever.' ubong teased.
'hmm...' Amy chuckled
They relaxed on the sofa, counting the vaulted ceiling. Amy was struck with a sudden thought that, her mother might died, she might became an orphan. Tears welled up her eyes.
Ubong-abasi whirled around to face her. 'Oh my God! Amy, you are crying.' he wiped her face with serviette. He was emotionally attached to her. Something was blending them together. He patted her hand consolingly. 'please tell me what is wrong with you.'
'It is my mother.' she whimpered.
'what is wrong with her?' he inquired with consent.
'Her health is deteriorating. She is suffering from asthma.'
'Asthma!' ubong blurted.
'Don't worry dear, I gave her inhaler.
Ubong-abasi sighed with relief. He made a fleeting smile as Amy gazed at him.
He smiled brightly. Perhap he might be her prince charming. Amy thought but she doesn't know why her mother straightly warned her to avoid men. She was attracted to him. He had a broad shoulder, round face, with pointed nose but his eyes were sadden. She couldn't say for sure if they were dark or brown because, they looked reddish. Maybe he had been crying or he smoker marijuana. Her thought scared her.

1 Like

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 11:47am On Jul 17, 2014
She erased the thought from her mind. He looked gorgeous like celebrities. He was taller than her with slim figure and fair in complexion. He had no blemished on his face, no mustache, no beard and his head were well shaved.
'he doesn't smoke.' Amy blurted, forgetting that Ubong was before her.
'Amy, are you alright?' ubong asked.
She felt warm blushed rise to her cheek on realising what she just did.
'like I was saying.' she continued without facing Ubong. 'my mother is suffering from asthma. I have sold everything we had to save her life but to no avail. And now, the land lord is threatening us to evacuate the house we are staying.' she burst into tears.
Ubong cuddled her. He felt her pain. If he had, had a chance to save his parent's life, he could have done anything to save them but he wasn't given the chance. Fate had it way. He held her face and wiped the dribbling tears off.
'There is no need to worry.' he said soothingly. I feel your pain. I understand what you are going through. I won't let what happen to me, happen to you.' tears welled up his eyes.
' what happen to you? Where are your parent?' she waited anxiously for replied.
'never mind.' ubong replied after a fleeting silent. 'I know a cure for asthma. Am going to cure your mother.'
'Are you mocking me?' she raised her eyebrow.
'God forbid!' he exclaimed.
'how come you know a cure for asthma Doc.? You don't looked like a medical doctor instead you look like a witch doctor.' Amy teased and chuckled.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
'That is awkward.' ubong snapped.
'Don't get work up, I was just teasing.'
'Ok your majesty.' he teased. 'my grand father was an herbalist.'
Amy listened with keen interest.
'He was able to cure different types of dreaded lurgy. I used to visit him during holiday. Every sickness he cured, I scribbled down the name of the herbs used. He took me around and show me different types of herbs, how to administer them and their functions. So your mother's case is lilliputain.'
Amy sighed with relieved. 'I am sorry, I underestimate you.'
'never mind.' he patted her hand.
'We will go to the market, buy the required stuff and prepare the cure together.'
'How much will it cost?' she asked faintly because she had no money and she was famished. She gulped down the rest of her strawberry juice and waited patiently for a replied. If ubong had a cure for asthma, she could do anything, even if it means stealing, just to save her mother's life.
Ubong tapped her on the shoulder. 'money is not the issue. You are perspiring.'
'Hmm... The house is suffocating. I need more air.' she forgot she was in an air conditioned room.
'no, you don't need air.' ubong replied. 'you need to stop being nervous.' he cuddled her. She relaxed and felt warm in his arm. 'you are like a sister to me. I will do for you what a brother could do for a loving sister.'
'Thank you.' she whispered.
Ubong released his gripped on her. 'Go and take your bath before we take tiffin and then we go to the market. Is that ok by you?'
'yea, except taking of bath. I hate wearing the same dirty cloth after taking my bath.' she complained.
'Ok, let me rush to the nearby shop and get you a dress while you are taking your bath.' she shook her head in disapproval.
'no more procrastination. Am a practising christian not what your mind is telling you.' he patted her back.
'Ok.' she gabbled. 'where is the loo?'
'By the left, room 3.' he replied.
On reaching room 3, she opened the door. To her amazement, the room was as beautiful as the ones she watched in movies. It was tiles milky colour. There was a lavatory in it, a bath tub and a shower.
'This will be fun.' she guffawed.
She bolt the door, removed her garment and and draped it on the hanger. She looked at the bath tub, it had two faucet label hot and cool. She turn-on the hot faucet and put her hand.
'Too hot.' she muttered.
She turn-off and on the cool tap. The water ran down with suds. She entered the bath tub and started to sponge her body. A song from Bette Meddler came to her mind and she sang it happily.
'from a distance, the world looks blue and green. And the snowcapped mountain white. From a distance... ' the sound of her voice wafted across the house.
Ubong- abasi heard her singer. 'such a good singer.' he muttered while searching through his late sister's wardrobe. He saw a red gown he bought as a prezzie to her sister during her 18th birthday. Tears rolled down his face.
He remember his sister was his favourite. She was beautiful, talented and a good singer just like Amaka. When he was sad, she could sing a soothing song for him and comforted him with sweet words. He opened his sister's jewellery box and brought out a golden necklace and a rolex wrist watch. He closed the box and removed a court shoe from the wardrobe shelf. He packed them into a polythene bag and went out wiping the tears off. He check his wrist watch, few minutes to 1:00pm. He contemplated on whether to go and call Amy or just wait till she comes out. He held his beardless chin and clicked his finger. He walked to the bathroom. After umpteen rap on the door, Amy turn- off the shower.
'I will be with you in a jiffy.'Amy shrilled.
Ubong-abasi waited for her in the sitting room. Amy wiped her body with a towel, put on a bathrobe and unbolt the door. She paddled to the sitting room.
'Am through with bathing.' she gabbled.
'Ok.' ubong replied.
He turn-off the television he was watching and place the remote on a centre table. He stood up and gave the polythene bag to her.
'Thanks umpteen times.' she collected the bag.
As she walked away, ubong called her. 'Amy.'
'yes.' she turned around.
'your tresser...' he paused.
Amy touched her locks.
'yebo... Is natural.' she spluttered.
'you look like a rastafarain.' ubong chuckled.
'yes, but am not a rasta. She snapped and walked away.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ubong waited for her patiently in the dining room. Few minutes later, Amy shuffled to the dining room. She blushed shamefully under Ubong steady gazed.
'you look gorgeous.'
'thank you.' Amy replied shyly. She drew the dining chair backward and sat. Her locks were neatly packed.
'your hair... Is beautiful.' she spluttered
'thanks, no thanks. She snapped.
'I hope your chow will not make me retch.' Amy teased.
'No, it was prepared by my younger sister.'
ubong shared the plantian and beans into two plate and they ate in silence.
END OF CHAPTER 2
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Godisnear(m): 4:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
Keep it coming. Few errors here and there but am feelin it.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 4:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Godisnear: Keep it coming. Few errors here and there but am feelin it.
welcome
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 11:24am On Jul 18, 2014
~~~~~CHAPTER 3 ~~~~~
Ubong drove out to mainland street. He sighted traffic congestion, he put the break on, make a U-turn and swerve to another road.
'Why do you swerve to this muddy road?' Amy asked.
'I don't want to be stuck in traffic.' he replied. 'And beside I have to go and pick Valerie from school.'
'who is Valerie?'
'my kid sister.'
'so you are living with your parent.'
Ubong ignored her and put on a song by artiste flavour-chinny baby.
They move their body to the rhythm of the music untill they reached the market.
Ubong slow down and honked the horn. Traders and pedestrian rushed avoid being knocked down. He drove passed and then screeched to a halt at car park. He dashed out and opened the door for Amy. She alighted, closed the door and leaned on the SUV car.
Three dishevelled gheto boys approached them.
'oga car park na #100.00. The stout one snapped.
'sure.' he delve into his pocket and brought out #3,000.00
'share among yourselves.' he give it to the lanky guy.
''Thank you oga, God go bless you many time.' they boys chorus and genuflected before walking away.
Amy stared at him, suprised at his benevolent attitude.
'so what are we buying in the market?' Amy asked.
'snail.' he replied.
'Just snail?'
'yep.' ubong gave her #1000.
'Are you not coming.'
'yes ma.'
'Why?' she stamped her foot.
'hey, Didi.' he patted her shoulder. 'women are fond of going around the market haggling price and this udung-uko market is too large. I won't be able to turn clockwise and anti-clockwise.' he made a rude gesture at her. Amy giggled and walked away. Ubong gazed at her till she was out of sight.
Udung- ukoh market was one of the largest market at Oronian's metropolis held everyday where product were sold at reduced prices.
Amy mingled with the crowd and soon found a stall selling snail. She bid the price and paid money. A gaggle of market women gave her a splitting headache.
'This people can never be mute for once.' she muttered.
Ubong waited patiently for Amy. He remember the boys he just gave money. He felt pity for them. They were just wasting their talent. He blame the government for mass unemployment.
Amy tapped him on the shoulder. 'here is the snail.'
ubong collected the bag and put it in the boot.
They entered the car and drove out.
'you amaze me, Amy.' Ubong said.
'why.' Amy inquired.
'I was expecting you to spend atleast 2-3 hours before coming out.' ubong teased.
Amy chuckled.
'what is the time?'
'Quater to buy your own.' Amy teased.
'my car even have a clock.' he hissed.
'I thought you don't know.' they both giggled.
They arrived. Amy alighted and opened the gate for him. He parked the car at the garage and get off. He brought out his phone and dail paul's number.
'please go and pick Valerie from school.'
'Ok sir.' said the reciever. He ended the call and lead Amy to the kitchen.
'Remove eight snails. I mean the big ones. Break and squeeze out the flampy liquid.'
'Ok.' Amy started breaking the snails while Ubong warm jollof rice for Valerie.
The door bell rung, Ubong rushed and opened the door.
'Good afternoon Daddy.' valerie greeted.
She preferred calling Ubong Daddy instead of brother.
'you are welcome.' Ubong responded. 'Am sorry, I ran into a damsel in distress, that was why I call Paul to come and pick you.'
'Apology not accepted.' Valerie frown.
'ok, I prepare lunch for you and there is vanilla ice cream in the SUV car.'
'that is why I love you.' she guffawed and hugged him.
'Are you now ok?'
'100% ok.' she saluted.
She ran the garage while Ubong heaved a sighed of relieved.
Valerie was adopted by Ubong when his parent died. She was the only one that makes life bearable for him. She was fifteen years old.
Ubong went to the Kitchen, Amy had finished squeezing the flampy liquid.
'so fast.' he said.
'not too fast.'
ubong mixed the flampy liquid with undiluted honey in equal proportion and poured it into a bottle.
'give her three table spoonful daily for 28 days.'
Amy nodded.
'thank you very much. You are like a brother I never had.'
'you are welcome.' ubong patted her shoulder.
'please excuse me.'
'ok.'

1 Like

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Amy went inside and put on her frock. She came back with a polythene bag.
Ubong was astounded.
'what happen to the dress I gave you?'
'my...mother.' Amy spluttered 'she won't approve it. I don't want her start thinking that am messing around.'
ubong collected the bag without saying anything, because he was still astonished. He drove her to their house. Amy alighted.
'Do you have a phone?' ubong asked.
'no.' Amy replied.
'use my phone, in case of emergency.' he gave her the phone but Amy shook her head in disapproval.
'Just do this for me please.' he pleaded.
Amy felt a sudden dart of panic.
'no, I don't want to get under my mother's skin.' Amy spluttered.
'what type of chica are you?' he snapped, dropped the phone on the ground and drove out. Amy picked the phone and went inside the house.
The compound was fence with plank. The house the lived was a shoe-box log-cabin. At the back of the house, there was a river where refuge and sewage were passed in.
Amy oppened the door, her mother was wheezing. She perched on a foot stool beside her.
'mama, everything will be alright.'
'where have you been?' her younger sister asked furiously. Amy gestured her to keep quiet but she ignored.
Rachel was fair, tall and lissom. She had dreadlock like Amy.
'Tell us where you went to. What if you come back, mama had died?' Rachel snapped.
'If you don't shut your gob, I will teach you how to shut that filthy thing up, you tooth fairy.' Amy blustered.
'Is ok my children.' Sarah wheezed. 'Amy where went you?'
'mama, I met a man who says he know a cure for asthma. Here is the medicine.' she gave it to her mother.
Sarah collected it and looked. 'where do you the get money to pay him?'
'he...said if it work out, we pay him.' Amy spluttered.
Sarah was satisfied. She knew Amy could do anything to save her life. That was what she dreaded most, Amy doing the unusual thing.
'thank you my daughter.'
Amy nodded. She administered the medicine to her.
<<END OF CHAPTER 3>>

1 Like

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Aipete2(f): 12:05pm On Jul 21, 2014
Am waiting for the next update mum
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by heemah(f): 1:01am On Jul 22, 2014
more Ma'am....
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:21am On Jul 23, 2014
¤*¤* CHAPTER 4 ¤*¤*
Amy and Rachel sat at the porch of their house playing parchessi while Sarah reposed on the mat watching them.
Rachel nudged Amy and whispered. 'Adanem.'
'yes.'
'Am sorry for the other day.' Rachel apologised.
'never mind.' Amy squeezed her hand.
'I had forgiven you. I knew you were of nervous disposition.'
'thank you so much, am relieved.' she hugged Amy.
Amy stood, stretched and yawned. 'am hungry.'
'eat me.' Rachel teased.
'Adanem, please go to that ebony...'
'mama am not going.' Amy interrupted. 'imagine the embarrassment I got from that woman last week.'
They were used to going to bed without supper.
Amy and Rachel snuggled their head on their mother's shoulder.
Suddenly, there a cloud storm accompany by a blustery wind.
'mama let's go inside. You know your condition...' said Amy.
'Don't worry, I have been relieved ever since I started taking that thing you gave me.'
'mama we are happy for you.' Rachel said.
'thank you my children, I don't know what I could have done without the two of you.'
The wooden gate opened, a yoruba man emerged. He was dressed in caftan with a black cloth cap and a rumple trouser. He was as dark as charcoal with tribal marks on his face. His left hand was amputated.
Mallam Musa was caught stealing. According to sharia law, his hand was amputated as penance for his sin. His parent disown him and he migrate to Akwa Ibom State with his wives and children.
'mama Mallam Musa is coming.' Rachel whispered.
'Eh! What will I tell this man o...' she mused. 'Good evening Mallam.'
'wetin good about this evening. Bring money make I dey go.' he snapped in pidgin english accent.
'Ah! Mallam Musa. It has not gotten to that naw.' she protested.
'please sir, there is no money today. I promise to bring the money tomorrow.' Amy pleaded.
'If you no shut up, thunder go fire your mouth. No be you I see man drop for car?' Musa blustered. 'him no give you money.'
'Amy...why?' Sarah snapped.
'Oya make una commot for my house now-now.' Musa shrilled.
Sarah knelt on the ground and pleaded with him.
'no be you were I say make you marry me but you refuse?'
'what! You want my mother to marry you? God forbid! You shrivel old fool.' Rachel retorted angrily.
'shut up Rachel.' Sarah chided.
'mama leave her alone.' Amy snapped. 'how can this grotesque creature insult you in our presence and you want us to fold our arms and watch him abuse you?'
'Sara, you allow your children insult me? See wetin I go do.' rejoined.
'Do your worst.' Amy snapped.
'After five wives, you still want another. I pity those women that marry you. You shameless nit-wit.' Rachel blurted.
Mallam Musa went inside and threw their things outside. He locked the door while Rachel and Amy gave him a torrent of abuse.
'make I no come see una for this compound tomorrow.' he blustered and walked away.
There was a cloudburst accompanied by squall.
'Amy which man is he talking about?' Sarah snapped.
'mama I...I...will tell you but not now.' Amy spluttered.
'that doesn't answer my question.'
'mama am coming.' she entered the rain.
'where are you going to?' Sarah screamed.
'mama, it is my responsibility to take care of you...' she walked away.
'Amy come back.' Rachel pleaded.
'don't worry, she will come back.' Sarah consoled Rachel.
They sat on a mat. Sarah stole a glanced at her rusty wrist watch, it struck 6:53pm. Rachel snuggled her head unto her laps while Sarah gently crooned a lullaby.
**END OF CHAPTER 4**
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by uchebest2006(m): 9:43am On Jul 23, 2014
Aiit...am loving ds,Ride on Doris.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by heemah(f): 9:48am On Jul 23, 2014
following
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 10:39am On Jul 23, 2014
Aipete2: Am waiting for the next update mum

uchebest2006: Aiit...am loving ds,Ride on Doris.

heemah: following
thanks
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by chiimdee: 3:43am On Jul 24, 2014
Nyc story dear, but please make sure you proof read to allow little or no errors* hmm btw the amy girl seems like desperado
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2014
Thanks sweetie pie
chiimdee: Nyc story dear, but please make sure you proof read to allow little or no errors* hmm btw the amy girl seems like desperado
maybe she isn't desperate.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by tmx21(m): 7:26am On Jul 24, 2014
Nice one dear
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 8:53am On Jul 24, 2014
¤*¤* CHAPTER 5 ¤*¤*
Valerie and Paul sat in the living room watching television while Ubong-abasi and Nsikan, were in the veranda chin-wag about business and and boyhood days.
Valerie had been fuming at Paul for changing the station she was watching to Adom tv. She wondered if he understood Ghanaian accent.
'you are lucky that brother Ubong is at home, if not, I could have snatch that remote from you and tune to Cine Afrik or 4kid.' Valerie sneered.
'Try it little prat and you will recieve the beating of your life.' paul blustered.
'have you forgotten that am brother's favourite? I will surely beat the rap.' her lips were set in pout of annoyance.
Paul was Ubong's major-domo, tall, dark and handsome.
Ubong glanced at his wrist watch, it struck 9:30pm. 'the football match will soon commence.'
'who are playing?' Nsikan inquired.
'chelsea versus sunderland.'
'Those looser, I trust Fernado Torres and Mikel Obi, they will score unbountable.' Nsikan gestured.
'have you forgotten about John Oshea and West Brown. Those strong defender.' Ubong protested.
'Kevin Ball, their so call care taker will bench them as usual.'
They both dissolved into laughter as the walked into the living room.
Nsikan sat, picked the remote and tune the station to Joy sport.
Paul stuck not his tongue at valerie.
Valerie hissed in annoyance.
Ubong sat. He had noticed that Paul and Valerie dislike each other. 'Bed time must be strictly adhere to.'
'I know.' valerie snapped. 'I already got bore from watching useless Adom tv, so sport is not an option.' she stood. 'goodnight Daddy.'
'sweet dreams.' ubong replied.
'and you too.'
As Valerie walked away, she remember the damsel in distress Ubong told her.
'ah! Daddy, have been longing to ask you about that damsel in distress you told me about.'
Everyone attention turned to ubong.
'have not seen her since then.'
'Have you...'
'now go to bed. No more quiz.' Ubong snapped.
Valerie reluctantly shuffled to her room.
'which girl is she talking about?' Nsikan asked curiously.
Ubong turned a deaf ear to him.
'hmm... You are in love, isn't it? And you don't want to talk about it.' Nsikan teased further.
Few minutes since the football match began, Ubong's phone tinkled. He was surprised at the caller. It has been a month since he had an encountered with Amy. Each time he calls, her phone was either switch off or not available. He thought she did not picked the phone that day. He had forgotten about her until Valerie reminded him. He loved her and wished to see her again. He had been driving around the street she lives, hoping to see her but to no avail.
'hello.' ubong said.
'Is this Ubong? Am Amy. Please help me.' the caller whimpered.
'Amy, are you ok? Where are you?' ubong asked anxiously.
'Am outside your house.' said the caller.
Ubong was astonished. He glanced at the wall clock, it ticked 10:15pm. He wondered why Amy was coming to his house at such late hour.
'hang on-I'm coming.' ubong said dryly.
'I guess that is the girl you refuse to talk about.' Nsikan teased but Ubong ignored him.
He doesn't like discussing his personal life with someone. Not even to his best friend. He went out, the rain was drizzing. He opened the gate.
Amy was drenched to the skin. He cuddled her as if never to let go of her again.
'I thought I will never see you again. I miss you so much.'
'I miss you too.'Amy replied faintly.
'come inside.' ubong clasped her hand.
'no, I need your help. Please help me.' Amy whimpered.
'what is it that you want? Tell me.' Ubong cupped her face with his hands. 'I will do anything for you, just mention it.'
'we have no where to stay.' whined Amy.
'Is ok. So where are your parent?'
they are sleeping at the veranda of the house we used to stay.' said Amy.
'come and change up so we can go and pick them.'
'Thank you so much. I don't know what I could have done without you.' Amy hugged him tightly. 'we should go and pick them first before I change up. Plethora skeeter must have fed on their body tirelessly.'
¤¤END OF CHAPTER 5¤¤
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 8:57am On Jul 24, 2014
tmx21: Nice one dear
thanks fella
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:59am On Jul 24, 2014
¤*¤* CHAPTER 6 ¤*¤*
Sarah woke up early than usual, surveyed her new home and refurbished the room which cob web hung around in dusty corner. She a sang a song as she unpacked her luggage.
'Imela, Imela...(you do well)
Amy and Rachel were still sleeping or perhap enjoying the comfort of the divan bed the repose on.
Sarah finished cleaning her room. She observed the room. It was well-furnished. A large mirror was mounted on the wall near a sofa bed and a wardrobe. She opened the wardrobe, there were different types of fashionable clothes which were beautiful to behold. She removed a box from the wardrobe and opened, it was a jewellery box. She wondered why someone could squandered money on jewelleries. She returned the box to it position and went and woke Amy up.
'O...mama, allow me to sleep nay...' she fumed.
'who do you think will clean this room for you?' Sarah snapped. 'sit up we need to talk.'
Amy sat and leaned on the wall. She rubbed her blurred eyes. She knew her mother was going to talk about Ubong. It was on serious enticement before Sarah decided to follow them that night.
Ubong came to inform them that breakfast was ready. He heard them mention his name, so he managed to eavesdropped.
'mama, he is just a friend who decided to help me. We are not dating.' Amy said.
'How many friends have you seen doing what he has done for us? Ok, I understand both of you are friends. So how did you meet him?' sarah inquired.
'Hmm...' Amy sighed. 'I met him on that day you send me to collect garri on credit from that ebony woman. On my way coming back, someone call me. It was Ubong, he had noticed my dolorous face. We talked about many things. From there, I told him about your sickness. He was the one who prepared that medicine for you.'
'What!' Sarah was surprised.
'he gave me this phone to call him whenever I need anything.' Amy showed the phone to her mother. 'but I was scared. When the landlord turf us out of his house, I decided to call him. That is all.' she concluded.
'so he has not ask you to do anything with him?' sarah pressed further.
'ha...ha mama, is enough. I have tell you everything you need to know.' Amy snapped.
'Anyway, I only wanted to know if you have given up on your dignity.' Sarah patted her check.
'No mama, my dignity is intact.' she embraced her mother.
'what about his parent?'
'I don't know. He doesn't want to talk about them. Anyway, he said everything that your room belong to you and Rachel will be sharing the same room with Valerie, her younger sister.'
¤¤END OF CHAPTER 6¤¤

1 Like

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by chiimdee: 11:57am On Jul 24, 2014
Dorisbest: Thanks sweetie pie

maybe she isn't desperate.

Your welcome dear, we'll see about that
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:00am On Jul 25, 2014
~^~^~CHAPTER 7~^~^~
Everyone was present in the dining table except Valerie.
Where is Val?' Ubong inquired.
'she is in her room. She said she want to eat roasted turkey when she knows there is no turkey in the oven.' Paul replied.
'go and call her for me.' said ubong.
'Ok.' Paul left.
Rachel was astonished and at the same time upset. She was looking for garri to sip while one spoilt prat was looking for turkey.
'Nawa...o.' Rachel mumbled.
Everyone attention turned to her but she remained indifference.
Paul came in with Valerie.
Ubong introduced Paul and Valerie to them as his sibling and further asked Sarah to be their mother, which she agreed.
'Valerie bless the food for us.' said Ubong.
Everybody closed their eyes.
'for what we are about to eat, may the lord be truely bless in Jesus name.'
'Amen.' chorus everyone.
Paul dish the rice and pepper soup into each plate. Everyone started eating while Valerie clashed her plate of food with spoon and then hissed.
'what is it? If you don't want to eat, vamoose.' ubong snapped.
'I told him I want to eat turkey and fried rice, instead he bring me this thing that will make me chunder.' Valerie sniffed.
'If you can't manage what you see, get out and let others eat peacefully.'
'Are you not taking me to school?'
'No, just trek. By the time you reached school, you will be hungry but there will be nothing like Atam garri for you, let alone pepper soup.' Ubong teased.
'Ok, I will eat.' she sat.
Paul chuckled and stuck out his tongue.
'Don't eat again, go to school.' Ubong shooed her out.
'serve you right, atulu' Rachel hissed.
Amy gestured her to keep quiet.
Everyone finished eating and retired to the living room.
'my son, I want to thank you for all the good gesture you have shown to my family. Amy told me everything. Am very grateful.' said Sarah.
'Mama, it is nothing. I should be the one to appreciate you for accepting to stay here with us. It has been so lonely staying alone in this big house. Just me and Valerie.' ubong replied.
'I thought you said paul is your brother?' Queried Sarah.
'He is like a brother to me. He move in recently as our servitor.' Ubong replied.
'And you paid him?' Amy cut in.
'Not really. I'm sponsoring him through maritime academy.'
'Really!' Amy was surprised. 'that is the school I always dream of but is like wishing for the moon. Even if there is money, I can't lower my dread.'
'I have already made up my mind to sponsor you to any level you want to attain.'
'Oh my God! Am so happy. Thank you so much. Amy had wanted to give him a hugged but her mother's present makes her draped the thought off her mind.
Sarah's joy knows no bound. Her wished to train her children to become useful citizen will soon be fulfilled. Where does this young man get money from? She thought.
'my son, thank you very much. If I may ask, what are you doing for a living?'
'mama, do you know lester petroleum oil company?'
They nodded.
'fortunately, am the only heir to his inheritance.' he said sadly.
'now I remember.' Sarah said drumming her finger. 'such fatal accident. That was when we move in to Oron. I thought only one of his child survived. He was such a philantropist.' Sarah recalled.' Accept my condolence my son. So what about Valerie?'
Amy did not understood what they were talking about. What accident? Is this why he has a sadden eyes? She thought.
'Hmm... Valerie. I can't say anything about her in Rachel's present.' Ubong said.
'Then I should excuse you people.' Rachel snapped.
'Never mind.' Ubong gestured and change the topic. 'Amy told me you drop out of school because of her. Could you like to attend the same school with Valerie?'
'I don't like her a bit. Did you not noticed the way she was staring at me like a she-goat?' Rachel snapped.
'you never cease to amaze me, silly girl. Instead of you to say yes or no, you talk gibberish.' Amy snapped.
'she doesn't have choice.' Sarah concluded.
'since you don't like her, you are sharing the same room with her. Beside, both of you are birds of a feather.' Rachel frowned.
'loquacious.' Amy stuck out her tongue.
'you better doll up, brother is taking you to school.'
Rachel was fuming with indignation. She knew Amy hate talking about marriage.
'Didi.'
'what?' Amy blurted.
I have been looking at you and brother. I think you love him.' Rachel chuckled.
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:02am On Jul 25, 2014
~^~^~CHAPTER 7~^~^~
Everyone was present in the dining table except Valerie.
Where is Val?' Ubong inquired.
'she is in her room. She said she want to eat roasted turkey when she knows there is no turkey in the oven.' Paul replied.
'go and call her for me.' said ubong.
'Ok.' Paul left.
Rachel was astonished and at the same time upset. She was looking for garri to sip while one spoilt prat was looking for turkey.
'Nawa...o.' Rachel mumbled.
Everyone attention turned to her but she remained indifference.
Paul came in with Valerie.
Ubong introduced Paul and Valerie to them as his sibling and further asked Sarah to be their mother, which she agreed.
'Valerie bless the food for us.' said Ubong.
Everybody closed their eyes.
'for what we are about to eat, may the lord be truely bless in Jesus name.'
'Amen.' chorus everyone.
Paul dish the rice and pepper soup into each plate. Everyone started eating while Valerie clashed her plate of food with spoon and then hissed.
'what is it? If you don't want to eat, vamoose.' ubong snapped.
'I told him I want to eat turkey and fried rice, instead he bring me this thing that will make me chunder.' Valerie sniffed.
'If you can't manage what you see, get out and let others eat peacefully.'
'Are you not taking me to school?'
'No, just trek. By the time you reached school, you will be hungry but there will be nothing like Atam garri for you, let alone pepper soup.' Ubong teased.
'Ok, I will eat.' she sat.
Paul chuckled and stuck out his tongue.
'Don't eat again, go to school.' Ubong shooed her out.
'serve you right, atulu' Rachel hissed.
Amy gestured her to keep quiet.
Everyone finished eating and retired to the living room.
'my son, I want to thank you for all the good gesture you have shown to my family. Amy told me everything. Am very grateful.' said Sarah.
'Mama, it is nothing. I should be the one to appreciate you for accepting to stay here with us. It has been so lonely staying alone in this big house. Just me and Valerie.' ubong replied.
'I thought you said paul is your brother?' Queried Sarah.
'He is like a brother to me. He move in recently as our servitor.' Ubong replied.
'And you paid him?' Amy cut in.
'Not really. I'm sponsoring him through maritime academy.'
'Really!' Amy was surprised. 'that is the school I always dream of but is like wishing for the moon. Even if there is money, I can't lower my dread.'
'I have already made up my mind to sponsor you to any level you want to attain.'
'Oh my God! Am so happy. Thank you so much. Amy had wanted to give him a hugged but her mother's present makes her draped the thought off her mind.
Sarah's joy knows no bound. Her wished to train her children to become useful citizen will soon be fulfilled. Where does this young man get money from? She thought.
'my son, thank you very much. If I may ask, what are you doing for a living?'
'mama, do you know lester petroleum oil company?'
They nodded.
'fortunately, am the only heir to his inheritance.' he said sadly.
'now I remember.' Sarah said drumming her finger. 'such fatal accident. That was when we move in to Oron. I thought only one of his child survived. He was such a philantropist.' Sarah recalled.' Accept my condolence my son. So what about Valerie?'
Amy did not understood what they were talking about. What accident? Is this why he has a sadden eyes? She thought.
'Hmm... Valerie. I can't say anything about her in Rachel's present.' Ubong said.
'Then I should excuse you people.' Rachel snapped.
'Never mind.' Ubong gestured and change the topic. 'Amy told me you drop out of school because of her. Could you like to attend the same school with Valerie?'
'I don't like her a bit. Did you not noticed the way she was staring at me like a she-goat?' Rachel snapped.
'you never cease to amaze me, silly girl. Instead of you to say yes or no, you talk gibberish.' Amy snapped.
'she doesn't have choice.' Sarah concluded.
'since you don't like her, you are sharing the same room with her. Beside, both of you are birds of a feather.' Rachel frowned.
'loquacious.' Amy stuck out her tongue.
'you better doll up, brother is taking you to school.'
Rachel was fuming with indignation. She knew Amy hate talking about marriage.
'Didi.'
'what?' Amy blurted.
I have been looking at you and brother. I think you love him.' Rachel chuckled.
TO BE CONTINUE
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 7:36am On Jul 26, 2014
Amy blushed and swallowed a gulp of saliva.
'Brother, are you going to marry Amy?'
Amy stood, as she was about landing her a thunderous slapped, Sarah intervened.
'mama warn her, I will break her head one of this days.' Amy blustered.
'mama, I should go and give Valerie money for brunch, she is not used to starving.' Ubong said not minding the scene Rachel was trying to create.
'Ok my son. Follow him.' sarah commanded.
'mama am sorry. I did not mean to upset her. She was the one that stuck out her tongue at me, so I decided retaliate.' Rachel apologised.
'I say go and leave her alone.' sarah snapped.
Rachel and Ubong left.
END OF CHAPTER 7
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 9:13am On Jul 26, 2014
₹₹₹CHAPTER 8₹₹₹
Sarah had settled down in her new home. She now own a boutique. Everyone was happy. The joy of having someone to call mother makes Ubong sadden face wore off.
Paul was the most happiest one among them. Before he could woke up in the morning, all the house chores had been done.
Rachel and Valerie had became best friends while Amy had obtained admission into the university.
Amy and Ubong had became more than friends. What they felt for each other was a burning passion which they couldn't expressed. Both of them were suppressing their emotions.
Ubong had taken her to many places of interest. He had taken her to Akwa Ibom State airport for sightseeing.
They toured around the whole airport from Ghitto company to Alcon. She was so excited to see that Akwa Ibom State has such beauties. They watched as plane took off and as passengers disembark in the terminal. Amy wished she was the one boarding the plane.
'Don't worry, during christmas, I will fulfilled your wish.' Ubong said. 'I will take you to Calabar carnival. Have you heard of it before?'
silly question. Who does know about famous Calabar carnival. She thought. 'I have. I always watched the festival at CRBC station but last year their women were half naked. It really upset me.'
They drove home. Valerie and Rachel greeted them as they alighted.
'where is mama?' Amy inquired.
'she went to her shop.' Rachel replied. 'so brother what did you buy for us?'
'Ha...I forgot.' Ubong said scratching his head.
'That is not fair Daddy.' Valerie frown. 'You are neglecting me.'
Since Amy move in with them, Ubong hardly took Valerie out as usual.
'Am not neglecting you Val.' he patted her head. 'I will take you and Rachel to the beach next week.'
she shook her head in disapproval.
'Ok, enter the car let's go and eat in the bistro.'
Valerie lit up her face.
Rachel hissed. 'brother don't mind her. We have all eaten.'
'mind your business. Amebo.'
'so what did mama cook?' Amy enquired.
'succotash.' Rachel remarked.
'Have not eaten such food before.'
'Then you have to eat this one. It is delicious food. Come on let's go in, my stomach is longing for such delicacy.' Amy coaxed him.
Rachel was excited at her success in frustrating Valerie.
'what is funny?' Valerie snapped.
Rachel hissed and blinked.
'Both of you can go and buy whatever you want.' Amy have the money.
'Aunty thank you.'Valerie greeted while Rachel hugged her.
'you better come back before thirty minutes. Remember the rules.' Ubong said sternly.
They both nodded and ran out.
Amy oppened the plate, they were greeted by a pleasant aroma. Ubong gulped a saliva. Soon they started eating.
'when are you going to tell me about your father?' Ubong asked.
'Don't you have table manner?' Amy snapped. She hate talking about her father.
They finished eating, packed the plates to the kitchen and retired to the dining room.
'you want to know who my father was?'
Ubong nodded.
'Well, that will be after you tell me about your parent.'
'Tell me first. I promise to tell you everything you need to know about me.' he crossed his heart.
'Hmm...' Amy heaved sighed of relieved.
'There is nothing good about my father though mother said he was a good man.'
Ubong listened with keen interest.
'he left us to God knows where,after beating up mother.' Amy continued. 'we all thought he went to his business place at Calabar but after three months, his business partner came and announced his death. He told us the boat he travel in capsized. Everybody was save but my father's corpse was not found, hence he was not buried.
Our kith and kin blame mother for the misfortune, so we were disinherit. We had no where to stay. The shop that mother used to sell food stuff was taken from her. We were left completely destitute. Life became unbearable.' she whimpered. 'I was just eight years and my sister was three. We migrate to Akwa Ibom State and stay at Etinan. After fours years, due to certain circumstances, we migrate to Oron.'
Ubong falt pity for her. He tried to imagine what they went through based on Igbo movies, in which widows were criminalised. 'I'm sorry for what you went through.'
'Thank you.' she sniffed and wiped the tears with the back of her hand.
'Since then, have you people gone to your village?'
'No. Mother doesn't want to have anything to do with them. I hate men. Men have a wicked heart. All men are the same.'
Ubong now understood why he hasn't seen her with any man. They hatred she had for men was deep rooted. He quote her wrong. Men are not the same.
'Are you trying to say am also wicked?' Ubong raised his eyebrow.
Amy stared at him. Her mind went blank. She only shook her head.
'Look at this five finger.'
Amy stared at his finger.
'Are they equal?'
'No.' she muttered.
'Then men are not equal. Every man has different face, character and personality. Am a very special guy.' he concluded.
'I believe you.' she squeezed his hand. 'Now tell me your story.'
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 10:17am On Jul 26, 2014
Ubong leaned on the arm chair in order to keep his composure. He told Amy how he was born with a silver spoon and how happy his family was when Max graduated but their joy was cut short by an ineluctable fate.
Amy eyes had already welled up with tears as she listened to his painful story. She now knew the motive behind his doleful eyes. She felt his pain and her love for him increase.
'my elder brother, my loving sister and my ever caring parent were immolated in one day, leaving a sixteen year old boy behind.' Ubong sobbed.
Amy burst into tears. She stood and cuddled him while tears rolled down from their eyes freely.
'I spend all my days drinking and hallucinating, hoping to wake up from the nightmare but to no avail. I had to adopt Valerie. I had always like her each time I and my mother visit the orphanage. She doesn't know we are not related and I want it to remain that way.'
'I understand. I wish I was there to comfort you.' she sniffed.
'Really?'
Amy nodded. She wiped the tears off Ubong's face and gazed at him. She felt protected with the strong hand that held her.
Ubong did not know what came over him. He was feeling different. Instead of weeping, he was admiring the black beauty before him. His adrenaline was flowing. He cupped her face with his hand and landed her a passionate kissed.
Amy disengaged herself and...
This is where the story stop before the blackout. Pls all those who were encouraging me shoulder kindly come back.
Kingphilip, Queenster etc. pls come back. Am sorry for not mentioning ur names, miss, mr, master and mrs. It just skip my mind.
Aipete
Uchebest
tmx21
Chimdee
heemah
Godisnear
your contribution has been very helpful
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Aipete2(f): 10:35am On Jul 26, 2014
Yes ma, dats where we stopped and dats wat av been waiting 4 ma
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 7:14am On Jul 27, 2014
Aipete2: Yes ma, dats where we stopped and dats wat av been waiting 4 ma
thanks for following
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Dorisbest(f): 6:54pm On Jul 27, 2014
+++CONTINUATION+++
Amy disengaged herself and landed him a thunderous slapped.
Ubong felt his check with his hand. 'Am sorry. I don't know what came over me.'
Amy went crimson. She wished she never slapped him.
Ubong hung his head in shame.
Amy felt a sudden surged of passion. She wished he could kissed her again. She couldn't bear his sadden face and couldn't apologised too. Silent crept in gradually. Amy felt uncomfortable.
Suddenly, foot steps approaches, she took a chance and left to her room though she felt bad about what transpired between them.
END OF CHAPTER 8
++++++++++++++++++++
<<<<CHAPTER 9>>>>
Sarah came back from her shop to prepare food before Rachel and Valerie came back.
Amy help her in washing the bitter leaf and other necessary stuffs.
Sarah wondered why Amy had been avoiding Ubong. Perhap Ubong had proposed to her. She thought. She decided to summon courage and asked her.
'Adanem.'
'mama.' Amy responded.
'why are you avoiding Ubong?' I hope everything is alright.'
'Everything is alright mama. Am just playing plank on him.' she smiled.
Sarah finished preparing the food and asked Paul to go and picked up Valerie and Rachel.
'mama, Valerie call me. She said, they are having extra class.' said Paul.
'Ok.'
They were in the sitting room watching television.
'So mama, where is your car?' Paul asked.
'I left it where you parked it.'
'Ha...ha...mama. You never cease to amaze me.' Amy chuckled. 'Don't tell me you are still scared of driving.'
'Yes I am. I feel comfortable when I trek.' she gestured.
Amy and Paul guffawed.
Sarah had been taught how to drive a car but due to fear, she never attempt driving it without supervision.
'What is the time?' she was worried about Rachel and Valerie.
'3:45.' Amy replied.
She told Paul to go and bring them home.
As paul was opening the gate, Valerie and Rachel walked in.
Rachel uniform looks scruffy and torn in some part while her neatly packed locks were dishevelled.
Paul wondered why she looked so unkempt. He asked them but they ignored him.
Sarah and Amy came out. Sarah demanded reasons for her looks.
'It's nothing mama. A dog chase us, so I fell down while trying to escape.' she licked her lips.
Sarah knew whenever she said lies, she always licked her lips. 'I don't have time for your lies.' she snapped. 'Valerie tell me the truth I know you won't lie to me.'
'Mama she was...' Valerie stuttered.
'shut up.' Rachel brawled.
Sarah signalled Valerie to continue.

3 Likes

Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by Aipete2(f): 7:16pm On Jul 27, 2014
9c 1. Bt dis Amy of a thing, ehn? Lemme reserve our comment
Re: Behold The Jewel Of My Heart by heemah(f): 8:10pm On Jul 27, 2014
Aipete2: 9c 1. Bt dis Amy of a thing, ehn? Lemme reserve our comment
u rly need to comment ur reserve oo.cuz i dnt knw why shez still holding back when she wants him..playing hard to get things..Rachael better be careful before i come smack her

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Best Stories I've Read On Nairaland So Far. / Abubakar Adam Ibrahim Wins The 2016 Nigeria Prize For Literature. / Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.