Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car (38439 Views)

Uniben Student Builds Touchless Phone From Scratch / 5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Chinese Farmer Builds Wind-Powered Car In 3 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by kuntash: 1:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
in as much I respect the courage and enthusiasm displayed by such a student.... I would like to state that , going forward regards to technology advancements and innovations, it would nice embarking on sustainable ventures or projects.

There have been many claims or discovery of inventions such as aircraft, urine powered generators , this and that.... all these somewhat seem not to be meeting the needs of what is required.

- Where are we as a country starting from? ... what can we actually boast of producing today? copying some futuristic innovations cant help out.

- The basics need be revisited.... e.g, Nigeria is known to produce better copper wires even though copper seem to be out of today's world of science, I suggest we start from there, latch on it and get its best...

- look around, every nook and crannies of naija household, for sure you would find a generator, at least I pass my neighbor... to imagine the millions imported into this country.

- starting with such little things, and consolidating on it would help a long way.

- We have good wood industry here, but imagine what is imported into the country

this kinda of putting carts before horses seem to cut across every facets of Naija system. ....

lets think about it..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by AjanleKoko: 1:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
kuntash: in as much I respect the courage and enthusiasm displayed by such a student.... I would like to state that , going forward regards to technology advancements and innovations, it would nice embarking on sustainable ventures or projects.

There have been many claims or discovery of inventions such as aircraft, urine powered generators , this and that.... all these somewhat seem not to be meeting the needs of what is required.

- Where are we as a country starting from? ... what can we actually boast of producing today? copying some futuristic innovations cant help out.

- The basics need be revisited.... e.g, Nigeria is known to produce better copper wires even though copper seem to be out of today's world of science, I suggest we start from there, latch on it and get its best...

- look around, every nook and crannies of naija household, for sure you would find a generator, at least I pass my neighbor... to imagine the millions imported into this country.

- starting with such little things, and consolidating on it would help a long way.

- We have good wood industry here, but imagine what is imported into the country

this kinda of putting carts before horses seem to cut across every facets of Naija system. ....

lets think about it..

Here we go again embarassed

Is the boy the president of Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Iffffffy(f): 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2014
I know dis is the 1st and last time we will hear about this.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 18, 2014
silverprince413: A young Nigerian student doing his last year
in electronic and electrical engineering at
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, has built
a car operating on solar power.

Segun Oyeyiola explains that his car uses both wind
and solar energy for the functioning, The Net
reports. Moreover, the man developed an
application for its installation in the car, which app
will inform the driver about the battery level,
weather conditions and other essential parameters.
In an interview to allAfrica.com Segun spoke about
how he came up with the idea and eventually
embodied it. He confessed his first motivation was
to eradicate the causes of climate change resulting
in fuel combustion.
"In the course of my research, I found out that our
regular cars contribute immensely to climate
change… If we could manufacture cars that do not
use fuel or reduce the number of cars that use fuel;
our world will be a better place for us to live in."

The student had to work and study hard to achieve
his aim, which was even harder because of absence
of electricity most of the time.
Apart from that, the final year student faced other
challenges:
"Asides the lack of electricity, getting the right
materials and text books to study as well as other
needed tools was difficult. But the most prominent
of them was the lack of funds. I started using my
personal funds which I obtained by helping people
to do their projects and a little fund my parents also
contributed towards the project."
He also explained that the resulting model is a
prototype, but not the final look of the car. Segun
hopes to develop his project into a future car for
Nigeria and Africa, as it is created with regard to our
climate.
The young man points out another important
benefit of using his auto – low maintenance cost:
"Everyone likes it and they are willing to start
driving it around town because of its low cost of
maintenance. I developed a simple software that
can be installed on our laptops and smart phones to
tell us the battery level, the weather condition, the
distance we can cover during different weather
conditions and GPS location of the car."

Enthusiastic about his project, Segun says he is not
sure whether he would like to sell the idea to some
entity, he prefers to have the project funded and
continue working on upgrading the auto:
"I would rather they fund me to put together a team
to help me perfect them and make them
commercial."
In conclusion the 30-year-old urged youths to look
for solutions to the global problems and never stop
learning something new.
"And it’s better to start anything we wanted to do
now. Let’s do what will make us happy and that
which will not affect our fellow being negatively."
nonsense
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by billyG(m): 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
What is the wattage of d solar panel?no info?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by pele007(m): 2:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by victorazy(m): 2:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
Rubbish!!!
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 50calibre(m): 2:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
AjanleKoko:

I guess the purpose of these projects is to test the student's understanding of the basic subject matter.
If the dude even coupled this together, and was able to generate some degree of motion, it's not so bad. No need for snide comments.
If you are into building stuff (I am, by the way), you basically do it for the know-how to start with. This is a pet project for the chap.

In practice the economics of building any 100%-solar-powered automotive vehicle is unrealistic for anybody. Possibly in the future, you could have solar-powered sub-orbital vehicles like you see in movies, maybe even aircraft but they'd still need fossil or nuclear fuel to get them into the skies, and into cruising altitude.

But it's still nice to see young Nigerian students trying to build stuff. I am always cheered by such news , and will definitely hire guys like this to build the stuff I want to build commercially.

There's nothing wrong in trying your hands at something or testing your understanding, but not when it's done at the expense of things of real importance.

What kind of person channels all he's got into a pet project? The guy put in all his money & also got more from his parents to put into that thing. Is that a judicious use of his resources.

I guess the guy isn't aware of the issues you highlighted in your second paragraph, in his mind he probably thinks he's created something innovative, perhaps he needs to acquaint himself with basic reality first.

Look I'm all for creativity & ingenuity but at the same time, I'm all for common sense. That guy looks like he could really use some money, he shouldn't be wasting what he's got on things which serve him no immediate purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by pele007(m): 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2014
Good and Nice
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by omar22(m): 2:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
I wonder which part of that car was built buy Volkswagen?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by ManTiger(m): 2:11pm On Jul 18, 2014
How many times will this make it to first page?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by lukulukuboy(m): 2:18pm On Jul 18, 2014
;DMadcow indeed.Nice analysis though.
MadCow1:

Cos it cant work.. Even the theory of it is greatly flawed from a scientific perspective.

That thread was very exhaustive and even people who studied renewable energy also shed light on why this would not work..

#First Obvious flaw:: Whats the amount of power that Solar panel can absord and how long would it take to gather enough energy to charge the battery that would power the motor enough to move the car. A Car made of solid metal and not alloys and composite.

#Second... How many Solar Panels have you ever seen in your life that was installed flat?! DO you know why you have never come across any?! Because the Sunlight does not fall at a 90 degree angle to the earth. grin

Should I keep going?!
;DMadcow indeed.Nice analysis though.
MadCow1:

Cos it cant work.. Even the theory of it is greatly flawed from a scientific perspective.

That thread was very exhaustive and even people who studied renewable energy also shed light on why this would not work..

#First Obvious flaw:: Whats the amount of power that Solar panel can absord and how long would it take to gather enough energy to charge the battery that would power the motor enough to move the car. A Car made of solid metal and not alloys and composite.

#Second... How many Solar Panels have you ever seen in your life that was installed flat?! DO you know why you have never come across any?! Because the Sunlight does not fall at a 90 degree angle to the earth. grin

Should I keep going?!
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Rossikki: 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
What I don't like about these innovations is that they make very little effort to give it any aesthetic appeal. I mean, just because it is a prototype does not mean you cannot invest a little time and effort to make it look appealing with some decent finishing. The dude could and should have found a way to cover those wheels for instance.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by omar22(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
all4naija: That is a Beetle car built by a Germany car company. The title of the thread is misleading.

Abi oooo

Built a solar powered car

Did he build or design the body ? No
The seats and upholstery? No
The electrical and lighting? No
Ok the gear box and Chasis of the car? no

Ok lets move to the power unit (PU)
did he build the engine? NO
The Battery? no but he provided a substitute for the battery

OH common!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by jpphilips(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
An opportunity for innoson to develop hybrid models
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Obiomon: 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow what a gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by omar22(m): 2:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
What next.........................

He removes the Solar Panel and place them on top of a Ferrari

A people will say Awwww Nigerian man built a sport car and some deluded NLers will kiss up to his back-side

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by LeJeun3: 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2014

I see a green car, with a flat tray on top.

All those shouting have never seen solar power in use.....

That panel is only sufficient for charging my laptop. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by rudepen(m): 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1: Please!! This bullshiit has been busted a long time ago on another thread. angry
jst as ur name connotes....MADCOW...ur mad...stop hatin n get sumtin real
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by kuntash: 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Bro, I hope you are not a crusader of those blaming the president of the country if a car hits someone on the highway just below a pedestrian flyover or blame the president because she didnt give birth to a female child she has been wanting to have? ..

read what I wrote there with an open mind pls.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by jpphilips(m): 2:38pm On Jul 18, 2014
AjanleKoko:

When you don't understand a post, you ask questions it is your right. what the young man you quoted said is called comparative advantage and his examples are so on point.

let me buttress further on it.

Since Nigeria is already making the best copper cables in the country, someone can come up with an Idea to use Nigeria cables to make alternators, such innovation will open a flood gate of inventions.
It will equally be easier for the Govt to help such a person, It is not enough to design a funny looking solar car with zero economic importance to the populace and run around asking for money to either get stuck at some point or disappear out rightly.

The point is this, when you can use a Nigerian cable to round a coil, all the fans in Nigeria (can you guess how many?) will be relying on you, Generators etc, the Govt seeing your capacity can ban those components as spare parts from coming in, companies will come to you to ensure that you remain in business while they sell your coils (of-course with the Govt provided environment).

All these inventions are waste of man hour in my opinion, an invention is fused with business strategy, it has a target market, or you think the man who invented E=MC2 wanted to use it to take photographs?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by MadCow1: 2:48pm On Jul 18, 2014
rudepen: jst as ur name connotes....MADCOW...ur mad...stop hatin n get sumtin real

Are you okay in the head?!

You should be ashamed a Mad Cow is more intellligent than you.

This is Science not Nigerian film.

#Now Fhuck off you scally wag. angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by popson1st: 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2014
Segun what can I say God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by NickiRoman: 2:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
MadCow1:

Are you okay in the head?!

You should be ashamed a Mad Cow is more intellligent than you.

This is Science not Nigerian film.

#Now Fhuck off you scally wag. angry
..You shouldn't have bothered replying him...You are mean though grin
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by GoodcasHMan: 2:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
Great, super great, as your name implies you will surely succeed and I personally salute your courage with GBOSA! GBOSA!! GBOSA!!! God Bless
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by popson1st: 2:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
For once, lets appreciate ourselves. If na oyinbo man do this we go start to dey hail them. Great things start small.
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by 00francis: 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
All this accolades for lack of originality.

firstly it was very stupid to use a Volkswagen beetle which was made from real heavy metal. this will require a lot of power to move...and sadly that panel arrangement cannot generate nearly enough power to move that thing at a bearable speed for 5km.

The only thing he did there was setup the panel, connect it to a battery and connect the output of the battery to a motor that will drive the wheels. So please tone down the praises.

With that said, it is a very simple procedure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by masterpix(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2014
THIS POST HAS BEEN THIS FORUM BEFORE[[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by omar22(m): 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2014
popson1st: For once, lets appreciate ourselves. If na oyinbo man do this we go start to dey hail them. Great things start small.

The Oyinbo man will be sued for modifying a VW beetle and calling it his own invention

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 18, 2014
kuntash: in as much I respect the courage and enthusiasm displayed by such a student.... I would like to state that , going forward regards to technology advancements and innovations, it would nice embarking on sustainable ventures or projects.

lets think about it..

Putting the cart before the horse.

I honestly dont get you.

You are listing all these as basics and advocating starting from the basics.

What have you started exactly? Tell us? Since you are the all knowing. What exactly have you done against the odds that is worth showing off as a promise for the future?
Re: Nigerian Student Builds Solar-powered Car by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 18, 2014
omar22:

The Oyinbo man will be sued for modifying a VW beetle and calling it his own invention

Unfortunately you are wrong. The Oyinbo man will pick this guy up and ensure that he is able to develop that idea. You know why? Because the Oyinbo man knows that if he succeeds, he will be able to exploit it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Elon Musk's Plans To Take Futuristic Noah's Ark To Mars ( Pics) / 'Earth's Evil Twin': NASA Heading To Venus For First Time In 30 Years (Photos) / South Africa Putting "AI Collars" On Rhinos To Protect Them From Poachers (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.