Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,527 members, 7,812,641 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

Best Nigerian Musicians? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Best Nigerian Musicians? (66869 Views)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / 2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by newton: 11:43pm On Aug 16, 2005
sad[size=8pt][/size]i like african china ilove i new ablum mr president from track one to the end is mine best track. grin
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by hotangel2(f): 2:12am On Aug 17, 2005
Hi, welcome to Nairaland Newton. I bet u'll enjoy this place.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by twinkledew(f): 9:17am On Aug 17, 2005
nd... r u an igbo guy?

i do not have any best nigerian songs but i like the olufunmi song
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 11:40am On Aug 17, 2005
@newton,
Very soon, newton will start typin yahooland.com, googleland.com etc.
Brace up and get ready to be addicted. Anyway not every addiction is a bad adiction.

Nairaland Rules!

Welcome Newton

My best nigerian song remains styl plus "Call My Name".
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by hotangel2(f): 4:05am On Aug 19, 2005
haha, I love styl plus..infact all their songs. Here's a little summin i got.

Hey, My name is Styl-plus, I killed[b] Olufunmi[/b], and decided to Run away so as to stay alive, the police are looking for me, so please when they ask about me, don't call my name.

Note: the words in bold are all Styl-plus's songs.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 19, 2005
Imagine that Styl-plus were my cousins and we used to play with the candyman beside Iya basira 's shop while we r still kids. Would u allow me a home with your heart?

Note: the words in bold are all Styl-plus's songs (unreleased)
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by hotangel2(f): 4:51am On Aug 20, 2005
Are u serious?? Those titles are funny. cheesy cheesy
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2005
Dead Serious.
The songs arent on radio yet. I chat wit 'em often more especially mekoyo (their producer) cos he's my producer as well. I love Imagine that. It'll be on radio this week i guess.
Those guyz are good.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by nddy(m): 5:04am On Aug 21, 2005
@ twinkle i am an igbo boy but my mama is a yoruba woman. I was born in the US though, but i love the igbo culture,its life
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by queen2(f): 5:01pm On Aug 22, 2005
stly-plus are doing great....
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by WesleyanA(f): 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2005
fela kuti. i personally don't listen to his songs but he's a world music legend.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by queen2(f): 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2005
layi:

Dead Serious.
The songs arent on radio yet. I chat wit 'em often more especially mekoyo (their producer) because he's my producer as well. I love Imagine that. It'll be on radio this week i guess.
Those guyz are good.
If thats true, cant wait to hear them
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 5:10pm On Aug 25, 2005
Imagine That by Styl Plus is on radio now. U'll love it.

# songs hittin naija airwaves now...(very lovely songs) viz:
Imagine that - styl plus
Ego - Djinee
Chineke n'igwe (my best of the lots).
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by audu(m): 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2005
Well, as for me, i think modenine, styl-plus are good. I recently listened to a song by da natives and it was impressive.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2005
Yeah the song by Da Natives is titled Draw Nearer and the line that got me hooked was "I've never seen a girl that's scared of love like u, angela, draw nearer".

Another song (i don't know d group) was released on radio this week. Titled "Ijo tiya". U'll never know its nigerian until u hear the chorus/hook.

There's a great revolution in the nigerian music scene. Beautiful songs beign released everyday.
Naijas in the diaspora. y'all missin. U need to hear sweet r&b in ur mother toungue. ther's no feelin like it.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by hola(m): 6:01am On Nov 13, 2005
to me my musician is this guy Dare art Alade he sing well and composed well like yankees .can any body here go and listen to young man by him he composes well and nice at least that was what i saw in him
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by raregroove(m): 3:21pm On Nov 15, 2005
Best Nigerian Musicians?

First and foremost, my initial choice would be Fela Anikulapo Kuti, for the hypnotic sound of his afro blend of funk. Others would be:

Ayinde Bakare (the great)
King Sunny Ade
Ebenezer Obey
Fatai Rolling $$$
Yusuf Olatunji
Ayinla Omowura
Haruna Ishola
Sonny Okosun
Victor Uwaifo
Orlando Owoh
Tunde Nightingale
Kayode Fashola
Ayinde Barrister
Oriental brothers
Igbekele gede
Irewolede Denge
Sunny Oguns
Suberu Oni
Nigerian Jolly Boys Orchestra
Bobby Benson
Orlando Julius

There are too many to mention, I am not a huge fan of the modern Nigerian sound, from a critical point of view, I feel the western culture has diluted the rich African sound, you may think this view is an antiquated one, but this is my take of things, theres not enough space & time to expand...
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by togolese: 7:32pm On Nov 19, 2005
The best Nigerian Musicians are Ruggedman and Fela.Thjey are still the best
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by zumapapa(m): 11:41am On Nov 25, 2005
i believe if ruggedman and rymzo got a 1st class fan is me i get down wit anything from these dude not to forget the paybackrecords crew aka swatroot they are the wu tang clan of africa with terry da rapman give them a clap pls grin
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by seeni4ever(m): 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2005
generally i love nigerian music, i am abig fan of nigerian music of any kind. to me i can't say that someone is the best 'cos there are many styles of music in nigeria. in fuji music, adewale ayuba is the all time best no doubt about this, the guy is great, in juju music, my own personal best is IK dairo(r.i.p), in hiphop, during the time of remedies, they are the best but now i will like to stick with tony tetuila, in afro music, lagbaja is my choice, in traditional yoruba song, aruna ishola is the master. these people as done great in there different categories and to say someone is overall best, that is not possible.[sub][/sub] angry
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by theORAKU(m): 5:02pm On Nov 30, 2005
my best naija artists are:
ruggedman
mode9
lord of ajasa
sound sultan(b4 joining kennis)
styl+

ruggedman is still the number 1.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by spikelord(m): 2:30pm On Dec 02, 2005
I don't know what you guys see in that African Queen of a song. As for me, it's P-Square and Faze. Just check it out for these guys' album.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by spikelord(m): 2:31pm On Dec 02, 2005
Asides Sound Sultan, I don't like those artists that go by the Kennis Music Label
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by gina34(f): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2005
Tuface
Black face
Faze
Ruggedman
Jazz man oloffin
Azadus
Edris
Dr fresh
Mr cool
Cush
Lgbaja
p-square
African China
Kunle Ajayi
KC presh
Pasto Goody Goody
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by spikelord(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2005
Why don't you go with the flow of your emotions. Although I don't like listening to Nigerian rhymes but u must also agree with me that 2Face has only got the tone, not the lyrics. His lyrics are childish and are not meant for the matured personalities. Nigerian songs are as bad as getting an English textbook, a drum, a guitar and a piano. U read what u have in the Economics textbook and your band do the rest of the work. Why should it be so
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by galala: 10:54am On Dec 07, 2005
I have read all the posts before mine carefully and have the following impression:
Music should uplift the soul. It should also contain coded information about the culture of the composer / performer.
It helps if the practitioners are serious about their craft and not aping the latest american fashion. I think the praises being heaped on the new artists is an insult to the memory of those artists who have created masterpieces that touch people all over the world. i have nothing against the new breed hip hop and soul artists like ruggedman and Tu face but please is one or two albumsĀ  enough to decide they are the best nigerian musicians. That is an insult to the geniuses who have done a lot of work over the years. As nigerians we tend to over praise our own. Well what that does is set them up for a big fall. winning kora and all that are actually baseless and have nothing to do with the cultural validity of music. I like what raregroove posted but again maybe we are of a different time. It seems the lack of knowledge and quality education forces us to make mediocre choices.
How many of these so called stars can read a note of music or even competently arrange their sounds.How many have paid their artistic dues. How many are doing music for the right reasons ..?
To get the best nigerian music you have to go back in time to the era of Fela Kuti Bala miller and Haruna Ishola.
Actually Chris Okotie the pastor and ex musician was better than any of the current so called stars in nigeria.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by layi(m): 11:27am On Dec 07, 2005
I agree wit Pastor Okotie beign very Good. He is talented. But Music isnt all about notes,chords,arrangement and stuff. Its more of the end-product.
A lot of foreign superstars too can't read a note. They leave that to the instrumentalist and arrangers employed by their record labels.
Even most of the songs we hear from mariah Carey, MJ Blige, Pharel, JD, JT, SHakira, C.David and co were not penned by then. They buy songs.

I am not saying its wrong to learn these stuffs but a good music would always remain good whether d singer went to a music school or Not.

The only advantage of readin tabs or playin instruments in this genration is that u'ld be closer to music and would be able to write, compose and arrange your own songs in a more prolific maner like Babyface and Rkelly.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by Oyinhoney(m): 11:10pm On Dec 07, 2005
2 face,Styl-plus,Rugged man & Igi awure
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by tiwa(f): 1:31pm On Dec 12, 2005
No doubt about that Nigerian songs are going higher everyday. A round of applause to them joooooooooo.
I like 2face idibia, styl-plus Olufunmi, lagbaja koko below, JJC and 419 squad Naija is the place gbao, u know dem guys they are london based, uhm they are many more like 2shotz, faze, dis guy that sang ske ske i've 4gotten his name, tony tetuila even though sometimes i don't know the meaning of the song he sings... eedris is ok abi.., ehm da natives those guys are wonderful nice voice, they are soosooooooo goodddddddddddddd, damn i guess that guy with dread lock is 2face's younger bother isn't? Men that guy too good trust me.
Rugged man that one like too much dis that's y he's not number 1 on ma list. Uhm dem too plenty i think that's d one i can get on ma brain right now. If ther's anymore i will post them ok.
Thanks and God bless.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by evans03mos: 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2005
I like Rugged man,Modenine,2shotz,Tu-face,tribesmen,Lagbaja,Earthquake, too much. i want them to keep it up.No doubt about that Nigerian songs are going higher everyday. A round of applause to them jare and "Ten" gbosal to dem.
I, like JJC and 419 squad Nigeria.
I like Mode nine alot and Ruggedman dis guys are really performing great in Nigeria music industry. u guy should keep on doing the great thing,we Nigerian they feel una

Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by haleed: 10:09am On Dec 22, 2005
they are so many now but also great unique ones like african china amina www.theafricangirl.com one of african's unique and hot artist to the new era and great the youth now just dont sing bah bah like the westerners do about bling and stupid stuff while shit is kick in home. well i mean amina of africa is f.....king cool from duplin's peace out my peees.
Re: Best Nigerian Musicians? by omogenaija(f): 5:01am On Dec 23, 2005
Lanre Teriba
KSA
Ishola
Kwam 1
SSP
Kolltigon Ayinla

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Di'ja's Single "Inyamuri" Generate Ethnic Reactions (Photos) / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> / What Are You Listening To Right Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.