Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,626 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Rice Farmers Meet Here - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rice Farmers Meet Here (27273 Views)

Buhari Set To Launch N20bn Loan For Rice Farmers On Tuesday / To All Rice Farmers - Tested Solution For Bird Menace....at Long Lasts!!! / Without Offtakers, Niger Rice Farmers Rue Bumper Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rice Farmers Meet Here by jidowu84: 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2014
I could remember vividly when I was growing up. Rice is one of money spinning farming ventures but too stressful. To my understanding, JEG administration is set to boost farming generally and rice in particular. If you are experienced rice farmer, pls do share with the house as I open the floor ......

#makingmoneythisyear
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by jidowu84: 10:31am On Jul 20, 2014
About 2.9 million metric tons of high quality milled rice from local sources is expected to be fed into the Nigerian rice ban in the 2014 season, the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) has disclosed.

This, as revealed by the Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina, while inspecting a 420-hectare rice farm and mill belonging to Olam Nigeria in Rukubi, near Doma, Nasarawa State would bring Nigeria closer to being self-sufficient in rice production and a potential exporter of milled rice.

According to him, 1.9 million metric tonnes of the commodity was produced in the 2013 dry and wet seasons, contributing N320 billion to the GDP and creating 670, 000 jobs in the process.

According to him, the ministry’s ‘rice revolution’ was gaining added momentum with a projected 2.9 million metric tons of rice in 2014.

He stated that with importation at about 1.9 to 2.0 million metric tons per annum, Nigeria was now already at the exit door from importation.

“We are going to be Thailand of Africa in terms of rice production and export”, Adesina said.

The minister added that the Federal Government is putting in place the enabling environment for production of rice on small, medium and large-scale, through its Growth Enhancement Support scheme (GES) for the rice value chain under the Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA) launched in 2011.

These include the development of high-yielding long grain Farro 45 and 52 rice varieties, which yield 6 to 7 metric tons per hectare as against the traditional variety farmers used to cultivate with a yield of 1.5 to 2 million tons per hectare.

He further disclosed that these new varieties have revolutionised rice production in Nigeria, as the ministry – through seed companies – has consistently multiplied and distributed seeds to farmers for cultivation since 2011 when the implementation GES commenced.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by fm7070: 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2014
420 hectare rice plantation is huge!
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 6:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
fm7070: 420 hectare rice plantation is huge!
Lagos State has 500 hectares in Eggua in Ogun State just for rice cultivation.

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by securi: 7:04pm On Aug 10, 2014
Meaning my planned 30 hectares is just a child's play.Hope the market can still accomodate ppl like us.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Pavore9: 9:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
securi: Meaning my planned 30 hectares is just a child's play.Hope the market can still accomodate ppl like us.
lt is no child's play as there is room for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:12am On Aug 12, 2014
securi: Meaning my planned 30 hectares is just a child's play.Hope the market can still accomodate ppl like us.
That's not small. Lagos state rice farm at Itoga, Badagry, is 50 Hectares, but never planted the whole. If you can effectively cultivate 10 Hectares, that will be very great. I know what I am saying. I am not an internet farmer.
I preferred the rice value chain. That's where the money is.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:12am On Aug 12, 2014
That's not small. Lagos state rice farm at Itoga, Badagry, is 50 Hectares, but never planted the whole. If you can effective cultivate 10 Hectares, that will be very great. I know what I am saying. I am not an internet farmer.

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by securi: 12:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
mount1ng:
That's not small. Lagos state rice farm at Itoga, Badagry, is 50 Hectares, but never planted the whole. If you can effective cultivate 10 Hectares, that will be very great. I know what I am saying. I am not an internet farmer.

Thanks Bro. I am about investigating the soil to know if rice will grow well there.Once a get a clear signal, I will start soon by His grace
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
securi:

Thanks Bro. I am about investigating the soil to know if rice will grow well there.Once a get a clear signal, I will start soon by His grace
Are u doing upland or lowland rice? To really enjoy and have a very good yield, you MUST have WATER, very good land preparation and effective (trouble from the sky) birds control system. If u don't put these in place, omo, you will burn money.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by kolaide(m): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
mount1ng:
what do you mean by " rice chain value"?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2014
kolaide: what do you mean by " rice chain value"?
"value chain" is when value is added to a product outside planting. You buying Rice paddy from the farmers, then process to bag. With that, you've added value to the rice. Which sells better.
We sold a tonne to LASG for 80K. But when we processed and sold to them we made double. So u see, you make more money when u add value to a product.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by jidowu84: 3:07am On Aug 13, 2014
mount1ng:
That's not small. Lagos state rice farm at Itoga, Badagry, is 50 Hectares, but never planted the whole. If you can effectively cultivate 10 Hectares, that will be very great. I know what I am saying. I am not an internet farmer.
Gbam! You are the surest person in here. Pls Can I meet you ? I reside in lag.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 8:58am On Aug 13, 2014
This is one of the worst enemy of rice farmer.

2 Likes

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by jidowu84: 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
We call them eye-rice and we have music we sing to drive them away. But joke apart, it's a serious Job.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by borlarge(m): 1:59am On Aug 14, 2014
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Nobody: 2:38am On Aug 14, 2014
@mount1ng can I have your number?

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Pavore9: 6:19am On Aug 14, 2014
Most local farmers use scarecrows to scare the birds and since grasscutters are attracted to rice farms, have traps placed around the farm in order to protect the farm and also get bushmeat. (l know some will be screaming Ebola)
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Rexyl(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2014
What is the best time to plant rice across various States of Nigeria?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by gabriel212: 6:45am On Aug 14, 2014
good thread for people like us going into farming.
Please house how much is needed to start the plantation?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by dre247(m): 7:50am On Aug 14, 2014
Please how much is needed 2 start up a 20 hectare farm
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by cyborg1(m): 9:18am On Aug 14, 2014
I am more interested in knowing the best and high yielding varieties please.

It may be time to put those swampy land in villa at work!
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by cyborg1(m): 9:18am On Aug 14, 2014
I am more interested in knowing the best and high yielding varieties please?

It may be time to put those swampy land in villa at work!
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by cyborg1(m): 9:34am On Aug 14, 2014
mount1ng:
"value chain" is when value is added to a product outside planting. You buying Rice paddy from the farmers, then process to bag. With that, you've added value to the rice. Which sells better.
We sold a tonne to LASG for 80K. But when we processed and sold to them we made double. So u see, you make more money when u add value to a product.

This is general core business ethics, standing out from the crowd. I will like to know other techniques used in cleaning the rice as bright as the foreign brands, trash free?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by hotmas911(m): 10:17am On Aug 14, 2014
How many smart agropreneur or intending farmers will sieze this opportunity. All glory to God, as we have gone past the level of people doubting our credibility on nairaland. Nairalanders like stanchucks, kerriman, 1978fusi, doctorisa, lesgupnigeria, nairaanddollar and host of others that we don't know their usernames have all patronised us. These people and others from olx with other places have taken immediate possession of their land without any issue. So gone are the days of "is it genuine?".
You too can join the club of proud farmland owners with just 30% down payment and spread the rest over 12 months.
We have land suitable for most crops like, cassava, oil palm, maize, plantain, cashew etc.
Minimum sale is 10 acres.
Price is from 80k per acre
This offer is powered by Hastom Global Services Limited with RC no. 864168. Pay 30% and start immediate use of the land.
Contact 08060318769,09095658428, 08123235949. Mail me dto911@gmail.com
CHECK this link to know more about us https://www.nairaland.com/1808249/meet-hotmas911-most-trusted-biggest
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:19am On Aug 14, 2014
cyborg1:

This is general core business ethics, standing out from the crowd. I will like to know other techniques used in cleaning the rice as bright as the foreign brands, trash free?
Polishing. This drops the nutrients quality in the rice.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:32am On Aug 14, 2014
Pavore9: Most local farmers use scarecrows to scare the birds and since grasscutters are attracted to rice farms, have traps placed around the farm in order to protect the farm and also get bushmeat. (l know some will be screaming Ebola)
Did I hear you say SCARECROWS! Give the birds two days, they will start perching on it. I am not talking from hear say. These birds are BAD and very intelligent. In the farm, we call them wi*ches. This is the period I dread most. Nothing scare the birds like Human. They study everything around them and operate likewise. You must be prepare for this period during you planting season.
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:39am On Aug 14, 2014
Rexyl: What is the best time to plant rice across various States of Nigeria?
If irrigated, twice or thrice. If nature farming, target the raining period. Start your land preparation in March plant in late April, harvest in 90 -120 days. Depending on the type of rice..

1 Like

Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by mount1ng(m): 10:43am On Aug 14, 2014
hotmas911: We have thousands of acres
of farm land for sale,
lease or rent in Ogbomoso,
Oyo state. Land is excellent for crops like rice, maize, cassava, oil palm etc. Selling from
N50,000 per acre and u can
rent at 3k per year. TRACTORS are also available. Our lands
are suitable for most crops.
Good roads, peaceful and
friendly people. 08060318769,09095658428, 08123235949. Mail me on dto911@gmail.com
CHECK this link to know more about us https://www.nairaland.com/1808249/meet-hotmas911-most-trusted-biggest
How much is the tractor operations per acre?
Re: Rice Farmers Meet Here by Rexyl(m): 10:51am On Aug 14, 2014
hotmas911: We have thousands of acres
of farm land for sale,
lease or rent in Ogbomoso,
Oyo state. Land is excellent for crops like rice, maize, cassava, oil palm etc. Selling from
N50,000 per acre and u can
rent at 3k per year. TRACTORS are also available. Our lands
are suitable for most crops.
Good roads, peaceful and
friendly people. 08060318769,09095658428, 08123235949. Mail me on dto911@gmail.com

I would have loved to buy ha of land for rice production but I am afraid of pest infestation, esp sturbon birds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gift Udoh: US Honours Nigerian Lady For Contribution Towards Farming [photo] / My Maize Farming Adventure In Pictures / Poultry Workers Bury Eggs To Steal Them (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.