Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story (23419 Views)

The Difference Between A Muslim And A Mu'min (believer) / Joining The Bandwagon; Embracing The Single Story / Conversation Between A Non Muslim And A Muslim Cleric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 25, 2014
boofydon: look at the bolded
This is where the problem lies. You believe your religion is the only one true religion" .
is that not what you believe too?
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by san316(m): 8:28am On Jul 25, 2014
Thdra: Terrorist....? Чơυ all are HATERS!
Yes we are haters. But knw dat what breeds hate is hate. It is the actions of some non-muslims that actually provoke violent reaction from muslims. 4 e.g the day i resumed work, i told my manager i was a muslim n he said 'ehen, na una dey nak head for ground abi?' and he laughed cynically. Another woman told me ''hope u no bring bomb?'' I just smiled their comments away bt it can't be like that 4 long. I'm nt justifying hate, but trying to let u know that it's nt a monopoly of muslims.

5 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by kentozybee(m): 8:30am On Jul 25, 2014
san316: Yes we are haters. But knw dat what breeds hate is hate. It is the actions of some non-muslims that actually provoke violent reaction from muslims. 4 e.g the day i resumed work, i told my manager i was a muslim n he said 'ehen, na una dey nak head for ground abi?' and he laughed cynically. Another woman told me ''hope u no bring bomb?'' I just smiled their comments away bt it can't be like that 4 long. I'm nt justifying hate, but trying to let u know that it's nt a monopoly of muslims.
hmm u try
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 25, 2014
What's the point of this story? I don't understand. Firstly, terrorists activities by Muslims are exaggerated as the Op would have us believe. These barbaric act inspired by their religion affect real people. Maybe the media and rest of us should shush up so that muslims fragile feelings won't be hurt.

Secondly, I believe lots of non muslims in majority muslim areas would prefer to get the stares muslims get as form of persecution than the usual death (eg for apostasy) muslims usually dish out to others.

Abeg undecided

5 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by dieselengine3(m): 8:34am On Jul 25, 2014
san316: It happens everyday. I was in a bus in jos and a call came in. I picked and said ''assalam alaikum'' and all eyes turn on me and i was like ''kilo de''. May God nt make their actions discourage us from being who we are.
....my brother they were not really gazing at u,rather they were searching for a possible escape routes incase as usual happens.....afterall we r adviced to be security conscious

15 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by theplanmaker: 8:37am On Jul 25, 2014
Op, personally I have nothin against Muslims. I don't judge people based on their religious affiliations, but on the content of their character. My best friend is a Muslim. However, looking at the activities in Islamic regions, I.e northern Nigeria, south Sudan, northern Africa, the middle east...one is tempted to conclude that Islam has affinity for violence and extremism. How do you explain the harsh treatment of women? trying to kill anyone that abandons the Islamic faith? or better still the intolerance that exists in this regions? you may think alittle and act differently because you have recieved a measure of western education. But those who are Muslims through and through have this negative traits. pls do not blame the world for its view of Islam , it is what Islam has potrayed itself to be

8 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by AdekunleBalogun: 8:37am On Jul 25, 2014
In the Quran, Allah says the reward for killing an innocent soul is straight to hell, not just hell sef, down the pit of hell even soldiers will account for their actions. So why would a Muslim knowing fully well that the quickest way to hell fire is killing and would now still go bomb innocent souls. Believe me if u read about hell fire in the Quran, killing a snake sef go fear you.
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 25, 2014
@ least hitler dddnt kill in the name of Jesus...sorry but from clips and life experiences i have heard, an average muslim terrosrist kills while shouting 'allah, akbar'.....and also hitler killed everyone and even more jews.

Bush also did not kill in the name of God....he attacked for his own selfish reason..some of the islamic countries are more dangerous and if they had the means, they would have wrought more nefarious activities...or what will u ascribe to the iranian president saying that if he had the means, he would wipe out the infidel Israelites from the face of the earth? and so many islamic nations were in agreement with iran also.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/27/israel.iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9zcElqetqk
Freelancer007:

Who could have been a worse terrorist than Hitler who killed 6 million jews. Was Adolf Hitler a muslim? No!

Bush fooled the world and invaded Iraq on the pretext that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, this he later aplogized for, saying he was misled.

Nevertheless, Bush had killed millions of Iraqis during the US invasion of Iraq on the pretext that Sadam had weapons of mass destruction. People died, women made widows and Children turned orphans because of the terrible nature of a single man. Is George Bush a Muslim?

Pls bro, don't be myopic! Not all terrorists are muslims. An evil person can hide under the cloack of religion to perpetrate evil.
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by kaybee4047(m): 8:40am On Jul 25, 2014
Guys don't hate us muslims for what u r hearing here nd dere d blame is all on d media we all knw abt dere lies bt we won't blame dem instead u turn on muslims Allah (swt) said in Q49:6 "o you who believe! If a fasiq (liar-evil person)comes to you with any news,verify it,least you should harm people in ignorance ,and afterwards you become regretful for what you have done" let's blame does who did what's wrong nd nt d entire ummah its nt only xtians dis people re killing lots of muslims ve died tru dere hands too so what
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 25, 2014
First of all, Nice write up, I must say. And I'm sure you meant well. I would tell a short experience. I happen to be in a co-educational institution, multi-social, and multi-religious. The expectation was that we were going to mingle and socialize, make friends and study. It so happened that the muslim students association was not comfortable with this trend and therefore spoke to their faithfuls, especially the muslim sisters to be weary of, and if possible shut down all communication with those of us of other religions, (need I say christians). I was simply taken aback by that. And this presents the whole outlook of islam as regards it's interaction with the non-muslim world. It's the same the world all over. It's difficult to see a muslim who would speak against a terrorist act until it begins to touch them. Take boko haram.. We only started hearing muslims complain when it began to affect their own. The war ongoing in the middle east is another example. Hamas fires rockets into israeli territory, no muslim puts up a "stop this madness" dp; israel retaliates, and every muslim says "this is genocide". I think muslims have to start telling themselves the truth. I agree that not all muslims are bad, truthfully. I have some very dear to my heart muslim friends. To simply say that Islam is a religion of peace would be being economical with the truth. When we know that Jihad is an islamic tenet (and I'm not referring to personal jihad here, I mean military jihad). What do we make of that? The truth remains. Not every muslim is a terrorist, but every terrorist is a muslim.

8 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 25, 2014
muhsin: Muhammad Muhsin Ibrahim
www.muhsin.in
muhsin234 (Twitter)

“What is your name?” Muhammad. And all eyes would turn around.

It often starts just like that, for to them, every Muslim is a potential threat, a terrorist. It is extremely awkward, if not annoying, to someone like me who was born and reared in an almost 99% Muslims community. Hitherto I didn’t know that being Muslim means that much and weighs that loads; some feel even reluctant to disclose their belief. Muslims living in multi-religious and non-Muslims majority societies today have a lot of stories to tell. The story is sometimes nasty in conservative, religiously touchy and volatile places like India, where I presently reside. Although home to about 200 million Muslims, it was discovered in a recent survey that some of them have to masquerade as Hindus to sustain their businesses. This happens due to the schism, and sometimes animosity, between them and other faithful, particularly the majority Hindus.

But why all the fuss and the buzz, you may ask. Generally identity, especially religious one, is highly polemical and extremely abstract. For instance, my ‘Muslimness’ is neither determinable based on my appearance and gait, nor proportional to my humanity and humane. Despite the whopping population of more than 1.5 billions worldwide, hundreds of millions of Muslims live in shambles due to the raging religious stereotype, which results to marginalisation and sometimes worse, as aforesaid. Needless to say, the reports of suicide bombs and other terror acts allegedly perpetuated by some miscreants calling themselves Muslims is a commonplace today. Al Qaeda, IS/ISIS, Boko Haram, etc are household names around the world. But this can’t and shouldn’t, nonetheless, justify the unjust treatment of others who can equally be victims of those murderers.
[center][img]http://4.bp..com/-M09shwpoRCY/U8pORStoTsI/AAAAAAAAAdw/lQ1MfWE2NBc/s1600/Truth.jpg[/img][/center]
Wait and ask yourself: how many Muslims are engaged in such dastardly activities? The aforementioned figure is just tentative, for the population of Muslims is, against many odds, rapidly growing. So, obviously, had the larger population of them been involved in “terrorism”, no part of the world might have been in peace, for nearly 1 in 4 people worldwide is Muslim. There is no denying that the threat poses by the ‘bad guys’ among them is alarming, but not as the media would want us to believe. Muslims do not have monopoly on fanaticism. We have Christians in C.A.R, Buddhists in Sri Lanka and Myanmar, Hindus in India, Jews in Israel, etc. but Muslims remain virtually the only culpable faithful. One cannot be a Muslim, a practicing one, until somewhere, someone overtly or covertly degrades him, or calls him an extremist or terrorist. What is wrong with the choice of being? I am Muslim, so let me be. Don’t infringe my individual rights. I will not do yours, either.

Do you know that extremism has no place in true Islam? Ironically however, the few who subscribed to it always make the news headlines, while others who are paragons of moderation and peace loving lots are barely heard of on the mostly western and western-influenced media. This modern world owes much to Muslims as they have a very long history in developing it. Malise Ruthven in his “excellent little book”, Islam: A Very Short Introduction published by Oxford University Press explains that:

He further notes that Muslims have excelled in virtually all other fields the world today boasts having—medicine, mathematics, astronomy, optics, architecture, poetry and philosophical thoughts, among others. Going by this alone should have made being Muslim something to be so much proud of, but the exact opposite is often obtained. Of course, one is allowed to do certain things to protect oneself under threat, but it’s no more than paranoia many a times. Be it as it may, I, for once, wouldn’t subscribe to what I couldn’t perform or display before others. You are still "the" Muslim unless you renounce your belief and join them, which equates to preferring the terrestrial over the Celestial, the temporary over the permanent.

A few days ago, somebody called me a Boko Haram (BH) member on Facebook for my being a Nigeria and Muslim in response to my criticism of the Egyptian president, Abdul-Fatah Al-Sisi. Saying a word against Sisi is tantamount to siding with the ousted “Islamist” president, Morsi and his outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. There’s nothing more wrong than that. Unbeknown to him, there’s a world apart from their ideology and mine. In fact, BH fights everyone, and anybody like me, for I study and teach what they try, with all their force and efforts, to prohibit—Western Education. Yet somebody is here calling me their member. How ignorant of him? How senselessly stereotypical are people nowadays?

I have got two calls: First to my fellow Muslims. Don’t forget who you are. Your undue moderation or apologia cannot purge you away from your identity. Don’t join the bandwagon of hundreds of thousands of ‘cultural’ or ‘nominal’ Muslims, to whom the religion is only an identity to distinguish them from others. These people are practically non-observant of Islamic tenets, which is primarily to submit to the One God alone and what He revealed to Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W). You can, however, choose to do what you want. Allah says: “There’s no compulsion in religion, for the right way is clearly from the wrong way…” (Qur’an, 2:256).

The second call is to my non-Muslims readers. Allah says: “Oh humankind! We created you from a single pair of male and female and made you into nations and tribes that you may know each other…” Qur’an (49:13). Therefore, any informed Muslim understands this wisdom of our being created differently; however the difference is not to divide us but that we may know each other. Let us embrace peace, mutual understanding and respect. Let us not forget that we are individuals with dissimilar, sometimes opposing, views, taste, impulse, desire, etc. Psychologists irrefutably say that no two individuals are exactly the same, not even identical twins. Thus, if some ignorant Muslims do something wrong, blame them, not the entire Muslims population, nor their religion.

No doubt Islam is nowadays a subject of mockery, misinterpretations, and the like. Three things caused that: 1) misconduct of a few of its followers, 2) sheer ignorance of its content and the earlier context and background, and 3) the exaggerating effect of media, especially those owned by anti (not “non-“) Muslims. BUT don’t let yourself be carried away by any of these. Don’t just believe in a single story, for that is dangerous.

END TIME STORY
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 25, 2014
[size=1].
pt]. .[/size]

7 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Tunguy01(m): 8:42am On Jul 25, 2014
Voice of a frustrated Muslim brother ..,, nice write up bt it dsnt change anytin .., weneva u hear d word pig ,ur brain will translate dirtiness
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by Dcaliphate(m): 8:43am On Jul 25, 2014
IjogzK: Religion of Peace. Allah-akbar.. may allah expose and forgive those who are trying to bring his name into disrepute.
i wish muslims all pray like this, instead some coconut heads fight for allah instead
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by elektra(f): 8:45am On Jul 25, 2014
Good write-up Muhsin. This is the second one I've read on nairaland drawing attention to the discrimination of Muslims in multi cultural environments
How about your next write-up be about the discrimination and murder of non-Muslims in predominantly Muslim territory in Northern Nigeria. I am not talking about killings by Boko Haram, but killings by non-BH Muslims. I'm talking about killing of corp members and so on. Until Muslims like yourself, who are the good ones, start addressing how non-Muslims are treated by your fellow Muslims, it would be very difficult for non-Muslims to be sympathetic to your plight.
just once, just once, I would like to see a Muslim addressing the plight of non-Muslims in the North. Just once.

12 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by alemathy: 8:46am On Jul 25, 2014
Good write up. But most muslims emphasis in the elimination of unbelievers (heathens) wich according to them includes the christians and other religions. That is why people are always afraid when ever someone confess to be a muslim. Going by what is happen in Nigeria and other parts of the world where Islam is practice, the saying that islam is a 'religion of peace' is rather an irony.
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by alemathy: 8:47am On Jul 25, 2014
Good write up. But most muslims emphasis in the elimination of unbelievers (heathens) wich according to them includes the christians and other religions. That is why people are always afraid when ever someone confess to be a muslim. Going by what is happening in Nigeria and other parts of the world where Islam is practiced, the saying that islam is a 'religion of peace' is rather an irony.
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by fuckluv(f): 8:48am On Jul 25, 2014
dieselengine3: ....my brother they were not really gazing at u,rather they were searching for a possible escape routes incase as usual happens.....afterall we r adviced to be security conscious
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by AdekunleBalogun: 8:49am On Jul 25, 2014
zeemahn:
FIXED!

Am not surprised that's how ur generations changes the wording of the verses sent to them. Do ur survey who own the most ritualist sites in Nigeria today apart from Babalowo's, its ur Pastors dem dem...
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by tamertery(m): 8:49am On Jul 25, 2014
4 me its a big waste of time trying to convince dem anti-islamic folks about islam, cause even tho their was nfn like BH, nd other terrorist organisations claiming to b muslims nd painting islam in black, Allah alredy said it in d QUR'AN (vey will never ever be satisfied with you till you join their religion) hell is hotter mehn I think I can withstand the heat and discrimination from the non-muslim folks but not that of my lord, my creator, my God, ALLAH, the lord of abraham, isaac, joseph, david, solomon, ezra, elijah, moses, jesus and muhammad(may the peace nd blessings of GOD be upon dem all) ameen, guys its jus a temporary life, rather than waste ur tym hating, go on and look for salvation, seek knowledge on how to look 4 salvation, nd worry about life aftr ds temporary world, May God protect us and grant us a good ending in the hereaftr, cause their comes a day my brothers nd sisters when there will b no hiding place, no lawyer to defend u, no amnt of wealth to safe u, twil b jus u nd ur deeds... May GOD save us, ameen

Peace

I'm out....

2 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by uzoexcel(m): 8:51am On Jul 25, 2014
well, to be honest, u cant flog him with that stick...every religious person professes that his religion is the one true religion...even saint thomas aquinas and st augustine say that there is no 'salvation for anyone outside the catholic church'....
boofydon: look at the bolded
This is where the problem lies. You believe your religion is the only one true religion" .

1 Like

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by myspnigeria: 8:52am On Jul 25, 2014
insightful. nice read
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by kentozybee(m): 8:53am On Jul 25, 2014
MrT2011:

Shatap!!! embarassed

Flesh eater! embarassed

Don't you quote me before I unleash the Curses of Nigerian Victims.

Instead of you to be apologetic, you are here being defensive; that makes my theory right.

One day, You all shall Die!!! embarassed and rot in Hell!!! embarassed embarassed embarassed

haba e neva reach dat stage nw, I am not defensive ,besides I am a xtian, just telling u to watch ur utterances by judging so as not to sin against d Almighty God
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by abbeyoye2001(m): 8:54am On Jul 25, 2014
thats how u people attacked my dad one time there in ibafo, all because hes a christian in the community. they said he use to preach in his compound even using microphone and megafone

1 Like

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by boofydon: 8:58am On Jul 25, 2014
dieselengine3: ....my brother they were not really gazing at u,rather they were searching for a possible escape routes incase as usual happens.....afterall we r adviced to be security conscious
grin Lmao. You are wicked o. Badman
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by sarutobie(m): 8:59am On Jul 25, 2014
Arcsniper: Oh, am happy its not easy for ppl like u to live in non-muslims Areas.
As if its easy for a non-muslim to live in a Muslim community.
bullseye!
Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by sarutobie(m): 9:00am On Jul 25, 2014
Arcsniper: Oh, am happy its not easy for ppl like u to live in non-muslims Areas.
As if its easy for a non-muslim to live in a Muslim community.
bullseye!...this is what happens when you point a finger at another, forgetting that the remaining four is pointing right back at you.

3 Likes

Re: Being Muslim And The Danger Of A Single Story by pinpinkay: 9:02am On Jul 25, 2014
MrT2011: Islam is a Demonic occult, their worshippers are Demon possessed, Serpents, Zombies.

Being a Muslim is possessing the following attributes:

1) They become Demonised in other words they only see their fellow Demons as normal and see others as vulnerable prey; Early Stage of Submission.

2) They become Serpents with deadly Venom; which make them look like a good friend in the open, but a very deadly monster in their counter religious affairs. This is the Fanatical Stage.

3) This is their final Stage that they become Radicalised which makes them metamorphosise into Zombies. At a Zombie stage, the only thing good for them is to kill!
bro ... Calm down ... Don't criticise their religion coz of their behavior , instead criticise their behaviour coz of their religion ... No religion supports terrorism ...I luv all d good muslims ...my advise to you muslims is to stick to ur faith ..God bless you all ....# Ramadam kareem ...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

An Open Letter To All Muslims / Marriage To Conjoined Twins From The Shari'ah Perspective / Do Muslims See Visions And Fall In Trance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.