Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,836 members, 7,813,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles (40454 Views)

Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Top 10 Nigerian Players Of 2013 / Nigerian Players In South African League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Tightguy(m): 7:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
Who remembers that guy that scored a goal against ChelseaFC in the FA Cup & was later drafted to the SuperEagles ? That dude was a super flop both for country and later for his clubside.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by ehispapa(m): 7:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
M4gunners: Not possible, he has won nation cup, play confederation cup, Many games onlike the ones mention there.

and who told you EFAN EKOKU never won the nation cup?
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Pistolx(m): 7:07pm On Jul 21, 2014
Y are all the names igbo. Names na Y are all the names igbo. Names na
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by JEITO: 7:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
Well I wouldn't blame any of the players after all, football is not written down like a movie script where everyone plays according to the script..
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by kpolli(m): 7:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite: Efan Ekoku: Played 20 times for Super Eagles not once
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2014
Daninya1: Okonronko,dat useless defender coach Christain Chukwu used against Cameroun AFCON 2004...Pius Ikedia...Basket Baruwalolsssss
that guy no bi flop ooo.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Mrvirgin(m): 7:28pm On Jul 21, 2014
U don't just judge d ability of a player over a game or two and conclude he's a flop. Playin for clubsides is quite diff 4rm playin for ur country and u are likely gonna be playin wit totally unfamiliar faces. It's just lik sayin Diego Costa is a flop simply because his performance was below-par at the just concluded WC in Brazil. Most of dem were not given enough chance, dey weren't flops

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 7:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
Smartsyn: this list is not complete..

Where is Ifeanyi Udeze...
Udeze was never hyped at any point in time. He quietly got into SE camp and the first time he played, one could hardly differentiate him from Babayaro.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by OkikiOluwa1(m): 7:34pm On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite:
Yes a friendly but nt full international match. Besides he is Efan and not Elvan. He is currently an EPL commentator.
Your list is inconclusive!
Where's Pius Ikedia, Femi Opabunmi, Promise Isaac.
Last Bullet
Meanwhile, Christian Obodo played well & stayed for some time in the Super Eagles.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Cornel88(m): 7:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ogbeche's bicycle kick was against Paraguay not scotland.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 7:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater:
It be like say na Olumide Harris
grin
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by chic2pimp(m): 7:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
Tightguy: Who remembers that guy that scored a goal against ChelseaFC in the FA Cup & was later drafted to the SuperEagles ? That dude was a super flop both for country and later for his clubside.

Kayode Odejayi...... My grandma GOD bless her soul would have done a better job whilst wearing stilettos.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ihuomadinihu: 7:40pm On Jul 21, 2014
Obodo was not a flop at all. I wonder where he is and what he is doing lately.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by MoriYanu(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
philtex: Hahahahahahah!!! rEAL BULLSHIT... Congrateulate me :!!! I made 1st Page 2day. sad smiley
U mean congratuelate? I think auto-correct still works!
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 7:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
majamajic: I remember these guys SHAKPOKE and PIUS IKEDIA
Jero Shakpoke niyen...... grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by martolux(m): 7:45pm On Jul 21, 2014
I beg free Mikel ooo
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by vislabraye(m): 7:46pm On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite: 1) Efan Ekoku: Widely tipped prio to 1994 AFCON to be better than Yekini.Only game he played was against Zaire in Qfinal where he missed a very glaring chance. He was subsequently returned to d bench and fastened with a seat belt. That was d only game he played for Nigeria even though he made the party to 1994 world cup.

2) Jonathan Akpoborie:The 1985 U17 winner, managed to break into the Super Eagles in late 1990s. He den had to contend with our then inform striker, Victor Ikpeba.Akpoborie saw few games and never really lived up to his rating. Things got worse for him with the coming of Julius Aghahowa and Ikpeba's former U17 team mate, Benedict Akuegbu. Akpoborie lost his place in d Super Eagles.

3) Victor Agali: Nigeria's 2000 Olympics hit man when he paired with Aghahowa, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Pius Ikedia. Yekini left a very big shoe to b filled and Nigerians believed the huge striker was d man. He did feature in 2002 AFCON bt was sent home due to disciplinery action after first game in 2004 AFCON after we lost our opening game to Morocco. Agali and Babayaro kissed good bye to the Super Eagles after dat incidence.

4) Batholomew Ogbeche: One of d greatest errors in Nigeria's world cup selection history. The then 18yrs old Ogbeche had just entered lime light after a one season performance at PSG. A bicycle kick that saw d ball hit d cross-bar in a pre-world cup friendly against Scotland was all Coach Onigbinde saw that made him include Ogbeche in d party to 2002 WC and d rest is history.

5) Christian Ndubuisi Obodo: Fondly called bundle of skills was Ogbeche's team mate at 2001AYC. He was seen as a likely replacement for JJ Okocha. He hardly lived up to the expectations from Nigerians and was dropped from Super Eagles.

6) Joseph Akpala: Emerged highest goal scorer in d Belgian league for 2 straight seasons. He finally got a SE call up after so much pressure on d coaching crew. He did not leave up to his ranking and so was dropped only to b recalled for the 2013 confederations cup in Brazil. You and I saw his performance at dat tourney.
. Akpoborie and Agali were not over hyped. Akpoborie was often plagued with injury that was why he could compete in major tournaments. But he does well in our qualifiers.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by lordspiritual(m): 7:47pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ayodele Makinwa
#FlopOfLife

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
bankoleben: Furo Iyeneme, Eric Ejiofor, Friday Ekpo, Femi Opabunmi, Romanus Orjinta, Pius Ikedia, Ogbonna Kanu
Romanus Orjinta?....... Did he ever play in the SE? The last I know of him was when he captained Enyimba to CAF champions League

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by hayoakins(m): 7:49pm On Jul 21, 2014
Obodo was not a flop abegi undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by NaLaugh: 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2014
Tpappie: Wrong! Elvan Ekoku played another friendly for Nigeria

Bros, i think you have his name literally mixed up with Alvan Ikoku.

Soccer player = Efan Ekoku
Statesman = Alvan Ikoku

Oyaa, for your innocent mistake, hol' 10 naira with Alvan Ikoku face. cool

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
What about the Flop,sorry Snail mikel obi
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Adeokeho(m): 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
Syenite: 1) Efan Ekoku: Widely tipped prio to 1994 AFCON to be better than Yekini.Only game he played was against Zaire in Qfinal where he missed a very glaring chance. He was subsequently returned to d bench and fastened with a seat belt. That was d only game he played for Nigeria even though he made the party to 1994 world cup.

2) Jonathan Akpoborie:The 1985 U17 winner, managed to break into the Super Eagles in late 1990s. He den had to contend with our then inform striker, Victor Ikpeba.Akpoborie saw few games and never really lived up to his rating. Things got worse for him with the coming of Julius Aghahowa and Ikpeba's former U17 team mate, Benedict Akuegbu. Akpoborie lost his place in d Super Eagles.

3) Victor Agali: Nigeria's 2000 Olympics hit man when he paired with Aghahowa, Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Pius Ikedia. Yekini left a very big shoe to b filled and Nigerians believed the huge striker was d man. He did feature in 2002 AFCON bt was sent home due to disciplinery action after first game in 2004 AFCON after we lost our opening game to Morocco. Agali and Babayaro kissed good bye to the Super Eagles after dat incidence.

4) Batholomew Ogbeche: One of d greatest errors in Nigeria's world cup selection history. The then 18yrs old Ogbeche had just entered lime light after a one season performance at PSG. A bicycle kick that saw d ball hit d cross-bar in a pre-world cup friendly against Scotland was all Coach Onigbinde saw that made him include Ogbeche in d party to 2002 WC and d rest is history.

5) Christian Ndubuisi Obodo: Fondly called bundle of skills was Ogbeche's team mate at 2001AYC. He was seen as a likely replacement for JJ Okocha. He hardly lived up to the expectations from Nigerians and was dropped from Super Eagles.

6) Joseph Akpala: Emerged highest goal scorer in d Belgian league for 2 straight seasons. He finally got a SE call up after so much pressure on d coaching crew. He did not leave up to his ranking and so was dropped only to b recalled for the 2013 confederations cup in Brazil. You and I saw his performance at dat tourney.
U know nothing about Jonathan Akpoborie,he made Nigeria qualify for many tournaments,afterwards he will be dropped,coz of our fake leaders and coaches then.Go and verify ur findings about the guy.He is very painful about it when interviewed in d new millenium.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by vislabraye(m): 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
pussyeater: Una don forget one person oh! Yobo nko?
. How can you mention Yobo ?
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 8:11pm On Jul 21, 2014
Wait oooo. The topic says "PLAYERS THAT FLOPPED AFTER BEING HYPED" and not all players that did not measure up. So all these Yakubu, Yobo, Opabunmi, Edema Fuludu, Obodo, Kaita, etc shouldn't appear at all.
But all the same, we are catching some fun by bringing some names of forgotten players to the fore again. So let the fun continue.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
Vision2045: What about the Flop,sorry Snail mikel obi
sorry if u re to include Mikel in de list den u ve to change de topic to " world cup greatest flop"
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by 1shortblackboy: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
furo iyenemi.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Ninilowo(m): 8:15pm On Jul 21, 2014
Their is this one over hyped fellow in the 1994 SE that no one has ever mentioned and that is......... CHIDI NWANU. I could remember the uncountable number of trips made to his base by Westerhof and some NFA members then. But at the world cup proper, I didn't see much of his impact on the field of play.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by EMMABC1(m): 8:15pm On Jul 21, 2014
Afam4eva: There was another flop by the name of Chukwu Ndukwe that was called up by former SE coach, Christian Chukwu. I don't know how on earth that guy found his wat to the team. He probably was Chukwu's relation. That guy had 100 chances and was only able to convert 1.

Around that same period there was a guy named something Ekwueme that played 11 for us. He was not as bad as Ndukwe but was not what we needed.
enyia kedu ebe i no kemgbe? Ahu odikwa gi? Oteela aka m hu debere gi ebe a.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by gazilion: 8:27pm On Jul 21, 2014
These are examples of some nice and great players who never went far...I won't call them a flop...

O Lord help me never to shine and stop but to keep shining till I die...Amen

1. James Obiora
2. Chris Onyemachara
3. Samuel Elijah
4. Garba Lawal
5. Taiwo Enegwea
6. Friday Elaho
7. Tunde Charity
8. Chris Ohenhen
9. Fatai Atere
10. Shola Ameobi
- I'm not happy Keshi used Ameobi instead of Mba...Ameobi's patriotism smacks of hypocrisy only after he was rejected by England.
11. Chrisantus
12. Vanzekin
13. Chidi Nwanu - really didn't see much of him except in the US '94 games.
14. Wilson Oruma
15. Mobi Oparaku

Let me think again...

pls.
Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
Tightguy: Who remembers that guy that scored a goal against ChelseaFC in the FA Cup & was later drafted to the SuperEagles ?

Kayode ODEJAYI [Burnely FC]. He simply didn't click for much longer...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players That Flopped After Being Hyped Into The Super Eagles by pussyeater(m): 8:40pm On Jul 21, 2014
gazilion: These are examples of some nice and great players who never went far...I won't call them a flop...

O Lord help me never to shine and stop but to keep shining till I die...Amen

1. James Obiora
2. Chris Onyemachara
3. Samuel Elijah
4. Garba Lawal
5. Taiwo Enegwea
6. Friday Elaho
7. Tunde Charity
8. Chris Ohenhen
9. Fatai Atere
10. Shola Ameobi
- I'm not happy Keshi used Ameobi instead of Mba...Ameobi's patriotism smacks of hypocrisy only after he was rejected by England.
11. Chrisantus
12. Vanzekin
13. Chidi Nwanu - really didn't see much of him except in the US '94 games.
14. Wilson Oruma
15. Mobi Oparaku

Let me think again...

pls.
Hey bro! U forgot to mention Emmanuel Babayaro Basketyaro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Let The Fight Continue– Cristiano Ronaldo Says After Winning His 5th Ballon d’Or / Kanu's Message To Alex Iwobi As He Signs For Everton / Akwa United Coach Attacked In Kano After Kano Pillars Lost (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.