Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,841 members, 7,828,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates (25463 Views)

Nigerian Graduates And Their Terrible CV Presentation! (CV attached) / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 23, 2014
favoritism is killing us.in nigeria,young undergraduates are highly disadvantaged species.it is just so disheartening to see brilliant minds wasting away.but there are still people who get jobs based on merits....we say our govt and politicians are corrupt but people who were employed on merit and have risen to top positions in service use their office to empower their undeserving relations.we keep waiting and praying for a change.we should rise up and be that change...God bless nigerian youths!!

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by MisterNRC(m): 1:51pm On Jul 23, 2014
African educational systems have surprising outcomes.

The smartest students pass with First Class and get admissions to Medical and Engineering schools.
The 2nd Class students get MBAs and LLBs to manage the First Class students.
The 3rd Class students enter Politics and rule both the 1st and 2nd Class students.
The "Failures" enter the Underworld of crime and control the politicians and the businesses.

And, best of all, those who did not attend school become Prophets and everyone follows them....

What a paradox and an irony of life!☹

#copyright #faajihouse #criticalthinking

22 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Paentera(m): 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
88natzy: Please fellow Nairalanders, I am a graduate of microbiology from one of the prestigious universities here in Nigeria, I am result oriented and can work under any condition.
I would like to get informations about job alerts, advice and constructive criticisms to my mails.
Iro18emma@yahoo.com or 88Natzy@gmail.com
Also my BB pin is
75F6B2EB. Thank you!

Log onto http://www.w3schools.com and start learning how to write code. Come back here in six months time with some level of competence and I ensure you get employment starting with low 6 figure pay.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by lyfe(m): 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2014
With hard work, luck and prayers the current ordeal we all passing through will be history.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
This write up is one of the reasons people want to run away from this country and those abroad are doing everything possible not to come back to their home country

3 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Lero15(m): 1:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
booqee: Very sad situation indeed. Every morning I wake up feeling unhappy, and I haven't even spent up to two month after nysc oo. Unhappiness is not because of no job but because people who aren't qualified got the damn job.

I pray to God I get a job very soon.
Pele dear. Your miracle is on its way IJN.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Rooneyboy(m): 2:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
88natzy: Please fellow Nairalanders, I am a graduate of microbiology from one of the prestigious universities here in Nigeria, I am result oriented and can work under any condition.
I would like to get informations about job alerts, advice and constructive criticisms to my mails.
Iro18emma@yahoo.com or 88Natzy@gmail.com
Also my BB pin is
75F6B2EB. Thank you!

Na only u waka go all these skools Fooling around **dont mind me **

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 1stola: 2:01pm On Jul 23, 2014
REVOLUTION NOW!!!

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by wellmax(m): 2:03pm On Jul 23, 2014
I can't forget that day I met a REP who was pestered to help some guys get jobs in a Federal agency.
He was willing to help, but showed me letters from other "powerful people, traditional rulers etc from his home state, asking ordering him to better connect his people. He just said "see I can only push for two slots and already I have six highly placed people on my neck". Hmmm.
But I was wondering, this is just one "honorable", if all REPS, Senators and political jobbers are to have slots, what happens to the ordinary Nigerian, what happens to merit?
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by vodkat: 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
Meanwhile waiting for your dream job. Nigerian graduates need to learn a trade, come up with an idea , make a product. It could be as easy as writing a book-(the internet is looking for stories and content) there is much suffering and thus much story. u can learn a computer program. build a website.

Foe Eg if u write a very an interseting novel or book u can sell it to Nolly wood or even Hollywood but it has to be very compelling. The world needs stories for entertainment. i believe there are a billion stories to tell in Naij.

There is a saying that if u build it they will come i.e the people will come for whatever product but u have to build it first

3 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by natureblack(m): 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
Op if I may ask,where have u been all these while if u are just acquitted with the fact that success in Nigeria is based on "who knows you and who you know"
Nepotism would never cease to exist in my dear country because it runs in OUR vain.Trust me if the Op was favoured he wunt come up with this thread
Our greatest glory is not in never falling,but in rising everytime we fall.Op keep trying

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by apolonius(m): 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nigeria is messed up at all levels. Yet some dark minds will be praising a government that has not made creation of employment opportunities for millions of our youths a priority even after 5 years in power.

My realistic advice to all our graduates is to raise some little money and go on to do masters/PhD in universities where programmes are not delayed and are cheap.UniZik Awka ranks high on these.

With the expansion in the university system,lecturing jobs are many and easy to get by the prepared. And very many lecturers have returned into public service,politics and corporate world as key participants and leaders. It is an assured but bent pathway to our dreams.

Come to think of it,4 years spent looking for a job can be spent earning a masters and a PhD with guaranteed jobs even after the masters and in the first year of the PhD.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by misterh(m): 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2014
Rooneyboy:

Na only u waka go all these skools
Absolutely nothing wrong with the statement.

3 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by otalenu(m): 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
Sad, but true.
We just have to be optimistic that something good will spring up one day.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by DANGOTEONE: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2014
HooxJnr: Wow! I fell in love with this write up. All the @op said is the truth.
Fall in love with the write up but STAND In Love With The Writer-Reuben Abati and others come to mind. Nevertheless, the writer could be one out of every twenty million nigerians with integrity.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 9jii(m): 2:10pm On Jul 23, 2014
Just like coming to Lagos,some will suffer the ibadan express hold up while others will just fly over the wahala to MM2.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by dotcomnamename: 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
offorkansi: THE PAINFUL REALITY OF A NIGERIAN GRADUATE

On Friday July 18th, I boarded a night bus for the first time in my life. I was very apprehensive given the bad state of our roads and the activities of men of the underworld. The risk associated with travelling by road for 10 long hours and the resources I would expend in the process made the choice a very difficult decision to arrive at, especially when I considered the fact that the result of the exam which I was billed to write could go either way. Just last two weeks, the Petroleum trust development Fund (PTDF), released the list of successful candidates for their oversee scholarship after about 8months of endless waiting. I became worried that some powerful Nigerians may take advantage of the long wait to rig the selection process. My suspicion heightened when a friend called me and asked me to send my particulars, so that his sister who works with the government, can help increase my result score. I regretted not sending my particulars to this friend when last week, a former school mate called me to inform me that he had passed the PTDF exam. Knowing that I did not see him during the exams, I asked him which center he wrote his own exam, he laughed and told me flatly that he didn’t sit for the exams. His name miraculously appeared on the successful candidates list because he has a powerful Uncle who pulled some strings on his behalf.

Now you understand why going to Lagos for the exams was a big deal for me. I went anyway; I took the risk to travel to Lagos from Port Harcourt for the Seplat recruitment exam because I needed the job. I have a job, but the opportunity of landing a better job will always be appealing. Luckily, I arrived at the venue of the exams in ample time to brush my teeth and change my shirt. As I readied myself for the test, I met a guy who also came from Port Harcourt for the recruitment exercise and we got talking. He told me how he was invited for a Halliburton interview and I was thinking to myself, ‘this guy must be very intelligent’. I was crestfallen when he told me that he did not even apply for the job in the first place, to talk of sitting for the exams. He was merely invited for the interview at the instance of his highly connected brother who was part of the system. He must have seen the shock on my face because I could barely talk, when he started telling me that he wished he had brought someone to sit for the exam on his behalf.

Few months ago, 21 graduates lost their lives in the NIS recruitment exam. Till today, the Minister under whose watch this recruitment heist was pulled off is still at the helms of affair in the Ministry of Interior. Hundreds of thousands of graduates were subjected to an exam when most of the slots have been taken by politicians and top ranking civil servants. We have moved on from that debacle and the millions of naira creamed off from jobless Nigerians are yet to be refunded even after Mr. President’s directive. The government which seems overwhelmed by the present security challenges is barely doing enough to arrest unemployment and the major opposition party seems too busy with insulting the ruling party, that it can hardly find the time to tell Nigerians how they intend to create jobs if elected. Recruitment agencies are cashing in on the misfortune of graduates to rip them off by hoodwinking them with different kinds of graduate programs and fees to help them search for non-existent jobs. Companies on the other hand are making it very difficult for fresh graduates by introducing obnoxious recruitment criteria. If companies are not asking for impossible years of experience (as if you can have an experience without working), they will be calling for age brackets that will disqualify many graduates because of the time wasting NYSC program.

This country is becoming increasingly difficult for young Nigerians who do not have connections or are unwilling to soil their integrity. It is a sad reality that in today’s Nigeria, who you know is better than what you read or graduated with. Hard work and competence count for nothing in a nation where nepotism has been elevated mediocrity above excellence. Graduates are becoming desperate as their patience wanes with each passing day, even as they see the opulence displayed by our greedy politicians. My worry is that one day, this critical mass of our population may revolt and its consequences will be worse than the present crisis in the North East. What worries me even more is that more youths are ready to do whatever it takes to become gainfully employed, including selling their conscience. The future of this country will be in dire straits if her future leaders are brought up to believe that honesty, hard work and competence, do not pay. Something urgent needs to be done about the ugly reality of Nigeria graduates.

I can only hope for the best as I await the result of the Seplat recruitment exam, since I do not have any big man to plead my case.
Offor honest is an active Nigerian Youth. Please follow me on Twitter @honest4change.

[size=15pt]What about if you have Masters from Canada as a Nigerian? Does it mean you cant still get a job with a whole Canadian Masters? [/size]
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by youngalex(m): 2:14pm On Jul 23, 2014
@Op i understand your plight having passed thru 4yrs of radical unemployemt and underemployment...I am proposing a project that will run concurently with NYSC where graduates will devote 6months of their service year for Skill acquisition after which the govt. Provides minimum of #200,000 per corp member to start up something pending when a good job comes...I call it Graduate Entrepreneural Internship Scheme...just that the Govt. Will say "No Money"..i also suggest graduates apply for Grants and Loans for Business start-Ups e.g YOUWIN Grants,BOI loans etc. "With God all things are Possible"
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
booqee: Very sad situation indeed. Every morning I wake up feeling unhappy, and I haven't even spent up to two month after nysc oo. Unhappiness is not because of no job but because people who aren't qualified got the damn job.

I pray to God I get a job very soon.
. I pray you secure good one soon, because isn't easy dear. 1 year counting after nysc now, and I'm still useless, looking like a dead chicken. God help nigeria youths.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by MoAfrica: 2:21pm On Jul 23, 2014
MisterNRC: African educational systems have surprising outcomes.

The smartest students pass with First Class and get admissions to Medical and Engineering schools.
The 2nd Class students get MBAs and LLBs to manage the First Class students.
The 3rd Class students enter Politics and rule both the 1st and 2nd Class students.
The "Failures" enter the Underworld of crime and control the politicians and the businesses.

And, best of all, those who did not attend school become Prophets and everyone follows them....

What a paradox and an irony of life!☹

hehehehe very funny...

#copyright #faajihouse #criticalthinking
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 1stola: 2:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
luvola: You just hit the nail on the head. Why wasting years and burning candles to get 2.1 only to preach skill acquisition for you after school and the promoter of this skill acquisition campaign will connect his or her wards to a job through nepotism. God help us all.

2.1 is now pure water.
Because they are evil.
I just hate hearing about the damnèd thing.
Then, what have I wasted 7 years for to get 2.1?
Heads needs to start rolling in this country - from the top.
That is why I see the militants to be more sensible. How I wish this evil bokoharam people will set there bombs against
Bullion vans
ATM
Aso rock etc.
instead of poor innocent citizens that are just looking for how to put food on their table. I for support them na.

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by frajoe2reel: 2:24pm On Jul 23, 2014
i find this write most interesting i hope that this get to the ministry of labor dis country is very difficult to the present youth i hope that there would be changes in the near future
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by NumberOne2(m): 2:26pm On Jul 23, 2014
Many seek jobs that few create. Little Demand and Excess Supply leads to bottle necks. Its a global phenom NOT just in Nigeria
My advice: If you don't find a job, make one. Yes its not easy. Is anything good in life easy? The guys making jobs are humans, not spirits.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by armadeo(m): 2:28pm On Jul 23, 2014
HenryThegreat1: Op has said d reality. Cum to delta state u will see wth ur eye. It's very tough here.

Delta state..... No comment.

Sometimes when things that you know actually happen before your be yes you would be struck dumb.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by yorke1: 2:29pm On Jul 23, 2014
Are you seeking for followers on twitter, trying to pass a message or both? just kidding. That's the situation of the country. It did not just start now. It has be there since God knows when. But GEJ is trying his best to savage the situation. God bless Nigeria.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by armadeo(m): 2:29pm On Jul 23, 2014
snadguy007: painful reality indeed, i wish i was born in the days when graduates are respected

The ironic thing is that those born during those days are the ones who put us where we are.

3 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Chicjennie(f): 2:31pm On Jul 23, 2014
It'll be a waste of time if y'all keep brooding about the high level of corruption and nepotism in the country because there are so many gainfully employed graduates who do NOT know anyone. Go to God in prayers and hit d Streets! I did same and it paid off.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 1stola: 2:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
NumberOne2: Many seek jobs that few create. Little Demand and Excess Supply leads to bottle necks. Its a global phenom NOT just in Nigeria
My advice: If you don't find a job, make one. Yes its not easy. Is anything good in life easy? The guys making jobs are humans, not spirits.
Shut up your stüpid ignorant ho
What should they use to create job? Ur head?

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 1stola: 2:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
Chicjennie: It'll be a waste of time if y'all keep brooding about the high level of corruption and nepotism in the country because there are so many employed people who do NOT know anyone and are employed. Go to God in prayers and hit d Streets! I did same and it paid off.
smh. Black brain.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Best CV Format / Urgent Job Vacancy In Asaba, Delta State / What You Posted On Social Media May Affect Your Job Hunting. [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.