Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates (25441 Views)

Nigerian Graduates And Their Terrible CV Presentation! (CV attached) / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Atk1nson(m): 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
Archmage: i think the motto on our coat of arms should be. "favoritism and nepotism clientelism and retrogression,". our inability to progress as a nation is fundamentally tied to the fact that merit is rarely used. what hurts d most is that perpetrators and beneficiaries see nothing wrong in it.
very true. D reason we can get past basic problems in our country is dat the best pple rarely get chosen for the job
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by RaptorX: 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
artisticallyart: The labour market is OVER POPULATED, the number of employees, laid off staff,retrenched staff, new graduates and even sack employees in relations to the job available are Screamingly TOO MUCH....... you know the problem . find a solution to it.

Many graduates are doing jobs that pay below 10k!!!!!!!! a friend called and told me he could not even get a 10k job. it quite sad and a very pathetic situation.
So stop having too many children and start doing some family planning, wait until your pop reach 300million. You think you have problem now, you aint seen nothing yet.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by AderibigbeAAA(m): 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2014
Archmage: i think the motto on our coat of arms should be. "favoritism and nepotism clientelism and retrogression,". our inability to progress as a nation is fundamentally tied to the fact that merit is rarely used. what hurts d most is that perpetrators and beneficiaries see nothing wrong in it.

Ogbeni
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by DoroMega: 3:40pm On Jul 23, 2014
Well said,keep hope alive.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 23, 2014
@Op- Your post is eye opening but there is something you should know. The job you are doing now and the job you want can be done by even a high school graduate if given the right and proper training- that's a FACT! What the society has done is to lie to students that a graduate of 1st Class and 2.1 gets the high paid jobs while those with 2.2 or 3rd class scout for the left over Jobs that are either scarce or are low paid. What they've failed to tell you is that graduates with your level of intelligence are supposed to be creators of jobs and not job searchers!

5 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by gloriana(f): 3:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
snadguy007: painful reality indeed, i wish i was born in the days when graduates are respected
4get doz days. ur best life is now

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by ogashman(m): 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Na wa o.dis one wey our seniors dey complain for here....hw we wey still be undergraduate go do?
U sure say i no go drop out of sch go learn wrk?
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by san316(m): 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
And any1 coming to talk abt entrepreneurship shld just lock up. Anyways, who will lend me 90k? i need it to secure a job i've already been trained 4.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Malakh: 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
have u guys ever thought that academia,acquisition of degrees, corporate world is brainwashing and indoctrination

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by joseph1832(m): 4:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
san316: And any1 coming to talk abt entrepreneurship shld just lock up. Anyways, who will lend me 90k? i need it to secure a job i've already been trained 4.
Don't mind them, entrepreneur this entrepreneur that, ask them to lend you money and they go buzz off like bees after honey. The business one wants to start I wonder if it's saliva they will use to start it up.

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Appswheel(m): 4:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
I am so in love with this post. It reminds me of my abandoned project, publishing "The Memoir of a Job seeker" a book that captures all my experiences with recruiters, at job interviews with a view to expose prospective job seekers to the mistakes I made, how to avoid them. In it are humorous accounts fueled by questions and answers during job interviews and friendships made at job examination queues, venues......... I think I should complete the manuscript - what do you think?

This post is the reality of a typical Nigerian Job seeker. The underlining word is connection, this is not to say there are no individuals who are employed on merit. I have friends and colleagues who got jobs on merit.

As captured by an earlier comment on this post, we all have links to the most Influential being in heaven and on earth - God Almighty, beyond that, it is important to Network, nobody came with any connections from heaven. it is good to associate and network, you never know who will be of help to you. As mentioned in this post, a friend called mr. honest to send his exam particulars - thats the power of networking.

Getting a job through a contact you know is not a crime anywhere in the world - It happens across the Globe. What matters is, is the individual competent enough to handle the job? If the answer is yes, "nothing spoil be that!"

Here is a question for you, If you find yourself in a position of authority, and need to recruit new employees in your organisation, will you not extend the opportunity to your friends, relatives who qualify for the position? Particularly those who you know have the academic qualification and ability to carry out the responsibilities of the job than recruit an "outsider" with the same qualification and abilities as your friend, relatives.

I advise all job seekers to learn how to network, it is a skill to have. How many of you reading this post are registered on Linkedin? For those who have linkedIn accounts, how well do you use the platform - is your profile attractive?

Finally, I advise that we look inwards to see what we can offer the society as individuals, I mean as an entrepreneur. The first job I got as a Field Engineer in a Networking company paid 35,000, that is, as a graduate of Mechanical Engineer. The second paid 50,000. I quit the job in 3 months to be self employed - it paid off.

I registered a business name APPWHEEL with CAC, learnt WordPress in a week (I had website designing background) and put up my business website - APPSWHEEL. providing Web development services and Software training. I was earning a minimum of 60,000 monthly. I did that for over a year. Early this year, a friend requested for my CV which he submitted with a contact at an Indigenous Oil serving company, I wrote their Job test and attended their interviews. I eventually got the Job. The import of sharing this with you is not to stay idle even if you are out of paid employment. It is not a crime to be self employed.

I also employ you to be resourceful, i guess we all know what it means to be resourceful. Always contribute to a topic, discussion, project you are knowledgeable about even if you will not be paid for your contribution.

For those who are seeking employment, you will surely get one, sooner than you think. But you must do the needful, use the resources available at your disposal.

I have a LAN and CCTV training scheduled for Aug 25- 29 in Lagos Nigeria, click on my signature to register. Also, I need a Wordpress administrator for my educational portal - [url=http://.com][/url] - stipend is N10,000/month. If you are interested, send me a mail at mirthfemi@appswheel.com.

4 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Exmay(m): 4:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ndababa: Why can't the Govt scrap NYSC or reduce its duration by half so they can give out the money eqv to eligible graduates?

I heard Yar'adua, before his demise, wanted to propose something similar where youth corps members are to be given N200K after six month of National Service.

Phew, I feel for for my fellow youth!

I'm sorry to ask but how far can 200K carry one in Nigeria economy?? That would be an indirect fund for the recruiting agency because they will collect all from the jobless graduate...

3 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by MadCow1: 4:16pm On Jul 23, 2014
koyyes: @Op- Your post is eye opening but there is something you should know. The job you are doing now and the job you want can be done by even a high school graduate if given the right and proper training- that's a FACT! What the society has done is to lie to students that a graduate of 1st Class and 2.1 gets the high paid jobs while those with 2.2 or 3rd class scout for the left over Jobs that are either scarce or are low paid. What they've failed to tell you is that graduates with your level of intelligence are supposed to be creators of jobs and not job searchers!

This is one topic that is highly debatable and I will always stand on the opposing side.

A high school drop-out cant make a good doctor no matter how long you train him and he practices for it.

And, Job creation does not necessarily equate to intelligence. Example: The Man who onws a gigantic Corn farm in the North may be a stark raving illiterate. However, he needs scientists and laboratory people to look at his crops, check for dieseases, research and develop hybrid crops. He needs accountants to keep his books. He need Marketers to source new clients and markets, he needs transport logistics peoples to move his produce from farm to customers timely, e.t.c.

The people who create jobs are not necessarily the most educated nor book intelligent.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by rozayx5(m): 4:23pm On Jul 23, 2014
dotcomnamename:

[size=15pt]What about if you have Masters from Canada as a Nigerian? Does it mean you cant still get a job with a whole Canadian Masters? [/size]

grin grin grin grin
if you like bring it from harvard, Naija is Naija, connection rules here, and Gods favor can help
My sis searched for a Job with her Richmond degree in Nigeria shocked shocked
she even taught primary schools in ABJ
before she got a good job 5 years later

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by freshness2020: 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
Father just help us!

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by volihove: 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
Bla blah bla!!!
Onli regret I hv is am nt a science student

1st class, 2.1, 2.2 put it aside

I am don with that

I want to learn hw to make explosives(bombs)

Is any one out there willing to teach me
Email me pleasesSssssssssss am begging you in Gods name or antyn you believe in

I think naija needs radical intelligent grauduate like me

Let blow shit up!!!

Even if I die in this , I promise to take prominent people with me I swear nd I plege to nigeria my country.

So help me God

7 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2014
NNPC graduate recruitment since 2012, we have not heard anything. There was a country.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 23, 2014
REVOLUTION MIGHT SOUND WEIRD BUT TRUTH IS...ITS THE BEST OPTION!!!IF A FRESH WORKING CLASS UNDER EMPLOYED GRADUATE STILL FINDS IT HARD,PUTTING UP A SMILE,IMAGINE THE THOUGHTS GOING THROUGH THE MIND OF AN UNEMPLOYED YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![size=24pt][/size]GOD KNOWS I CRY WHEN THESE FRAUDSTERS,ACTS LIKE THEY CHOSE THE RIGHT PATH CONSIDERING THE STATE OF LIVING OF MOST GRADUATE.

2 Likes

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Ndababa(m): 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
Exmay: I'm sorry to ask but how far can 200K carry one in Nigeria economy?? That would be an indirect fund for the recruiting agency because they will collect all from the jobless graduate...

200K is a good quote considering the fact that you're a getting it free - a grant for being a graduate. in a good entrepreneurial hand, 200k is more than enough to keep one afloat for a while. Dangote started with just N25000 he borrowed from his uncle you know.

Besides, it's far better than what's obtainable now.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by luvola(m): 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
hilaomo: REVOLUTION MIGHT SOUND WEIRD BUT TRUTH IS...ITS THE BEST OPTION!!!IF A FRESH WORKING CLASS UNDER EMPLOYED GRADUATE STILL FINDS IT HARD,PUTTING UP A SMILE,IMAGINE THE THOUGHTS GOING THROUGH THE MIND OF AN UNEMPLOYED YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![size=24pt][/size]GOD KNOWS I CRY WHEN THESE FRAUDSTERS,ACTS LIKE THEY CHOSE THE RIGHT PATH CONSIDERING THE STATE OF LIVING OF MOST GRADUATE.
I know of several fraudsters in my hood that are doing well ,building houses et al.. Yahoo guys standard of living is high compare to unemployed graduates.. I cant even go to write aptitude test again since have exausted my money .. daris godu o
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 88natzy(m): 4:54pm On Jul 23, 2014
Paentera:

Log onto http://www.w3schools.com and start learning how to write code. Come back here in six months time with some level of competence and I ensure you get employment starting with low 6 figure pay.
Thank you bro...
I am gonna subscribe to it fast and furious.

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Johncuppa(m): 4:55pm On Jul 23, 2014
When nothing is sure, everything is possible - whom did I know? Absolutely none, bt thank God I belong to d one who knws everybody and #rule in the affairs of men - Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by GoodBoi1(m): 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
I encourage everyone that as we remain diligent let us rely on the mercies of God.

"Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men." (Proverbs 22:29).

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." (Ecclesiastes 9:11).

"So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy." (Romans 9:16).

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by 88natzy(m): 4:57pm On Jul 23, 2014
Rooneyboy:

Na only u waka go all these skools Fooling around **dont mind me **
hey! I prefer to be called "GOAT" to a fool.
Tankioo
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by youngalex(m): 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2014
joker5180:
Have you read the post well? He said he is currently employed but looking for something BETTER.
Obviously from his write up he is underemployed possibly seeking for new oppurtunites and enhanced pay package,secondly my post is mainly for those currently unemployed

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by JEITO: 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
Eya! Ndoo! Don't worry, things are gradually changing.

If not for the security challenge that is gulping so much money, I am sure things would have been much better. But before the end of this year, you will see a lot more improvement in terms of jobs.

GEJ transforming Nigeria even in the midst of the calculated opposition aimed at discrediting his administration..

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by BIGDOE(m): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
It cannot b overemphasized that connection n corruption is d norm in our society today.I beliv my case is different.

OH LORD CONNECT ME TO MY DIVINELY ALLOCATED HELPER.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by Exmay(m): 5:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
Ndababa:

200K is a good quote considering the fact that you're a getting it free - a grant for being a graduate. in a good entrepreneurial hand, 200k is more than enough to keep one afloat for a while. Dangote started with just N25000 he borrowed from his uncle you know.

Besides, it's far better than what's obtainable now.
Lol... 200k is nothing. And by the way get off Dangote's story, he started with 500K(not 25). And the 500k then worth way more than 25m of today. He started in a less competitive and less corrupt Nigeria. Pls think bigger than 200k.
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by samuel25(m): 5:05pm On Jul 23, 2014
If the conscience of people in presidency, senate, house of Rep, State govt officials, govt parastatals, etc didn't disturb them from embezzlement, corruption, nepotism and favoritism, Then, why blaming BokoHaram? Why should my conscience disturb me if I take to crime? Anybody with BokoHaram contact, I'm ready to work with them. #You may say whatever you like, if I have your opportunity, I will say the same, and if you are in my shoe, you will do the worst#

1 Like

Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by volihove: 5:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
samuel25: If the conscience of people in presidency, senate, house of Rep, State govt officials, govt parastatals, etc didn't disturb them from embezzlement, corruption, nepotism and favoritism, Then, why blaming BokoHaram? Why should my conscience disturb me if I take to crime? Anybody with BokoHaram contact, I'm ready to work with them. #You may say whatever you like, if I have your opportunity, I will say the same, and if you are in my shoe, you will do the worst#

Boko haram pls contact me too pls o!!! In what you believe In! Let re shape the country
Re: The Painful Reality Of Nigerian Graduates by hapiness44(f): 5:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
ifycent2:

I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT BROZ.

ALMIGHTY GOD IS THE FINAL CONNECTOR.
I am a girl o!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Finally, God Has Answered My Prayer With A Good Job. / Custodian Life Assurance Ltd Interview Invite / N-power Deployment Issue Resolved.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.