Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Intelligence Over Creativity. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Intelligence Over Creativity. (15790 Views)

Photo: This Is Called Creativity! / Is Intelligence Overrated: What You Really Need To Succeed / Ogun Isoye: Medicine For Retentive Memory And Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by JustCare: 7:59am On Sep 04, 2014
Karleb:

Of course you need intelligence to be creative.

Let me put it like this, intelligence and creativity are like the oga and he's receptionist in an office, if you want to see the oga(creativity) you must first pass through the reception/receptionist(intelligence) before you can meet the oga. wink

i like this ...in other words intelligence is primary while creativity is secondary. possession of both now makes you an oga @the top!
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

I beg your pardon. Intelligent students don't cram, only mediocres do.

I agree with you, but then, they are labelled second best or in some cases mis-fits by the society.

If you dare to be different most times in Nigeria you may end up with the worst of appraisals, and I'm guessing you know why.

Unfortunately our society expects a fish to know how to climb a tree. If you Judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will end up thinking all the rest of its life that it is stupid.

I'll say no more.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by AdeniyiA(m): 8:01am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

I beg your pardon. Intelligent students don't cram, only mediocres do.
whatever... it's a fact that our system nd environment does not encourage creativity, hence the rampant brain drain.
Don't worry Caracta, i know you're intelligently creative wink cheesy
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:06am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

lol......I would argue that cramming is a form of intelligence.

Cramming shows a retentive memory- an ability to remember a whole lot of things. Cramming can help if you have limited time to read for an exam.

And I would argue that it isn't. Retentive memory? After the exam, do you remember all you have crammed? Talking about time, an intelligent student knows better ways to pass an exam with limited time to study.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by AdeniyiA(m): 8:08am On Sep 04, 2014
i would also like to state that CREATIVITY is a divine endowment given to few people by the greatest CREATOR Himself - Baba God noni cool nd instead of intelligence He gives Wisdom, it's in humans' capacity to gain/acquire intelligence
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:08am On Sep 04, 2014
Three7Ty9:

I agree with you, but then they end labelled second best or in some cases mis-fits to the crammers by the society.

Unfortunately our society expects a fish to know how to climb a tree.

I'll say no more.

The society doesn't define intelligence. That a student crammed his way to exam success doesn't make him intelligent one bit.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:11am On Sep 04, 2014
AdeniyiA:
whatever... it's a fact that our system nd environment does not encourage creativity, hence the rampant brain drain.
Don't worry Caracta, i know you're intelligently creative wink cheesy

We don't need to wait for our environment to applaud a thing before we do it. That's the excuse pulling many people down.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:11am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:
And I would argue that it isn't. Retentive memory? After the exam, do you remember all you have crammed? Talking about time, an intelligent student knows better ways to pass an exam with limited time to study.

Who remembers everything he/she has written in an exam?

Everyone crams. Even the most intelligent people cram. You can cram and also have comprehensive understanding of a topic.. They are not mutually exclusive.

For instance, in management accounting, it is best to cram the formulas and understand the theory. A mixture of techniques.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by 2scorehigh(m): 8:13am On Sep 04, 2014
Ceasar1: This is a tough one. But I think creativity is a standout of intelligence. So you've got to be intelligent to be creative. undecided

Okay check this puzzle out. Intelligent peeps will only read this, while creative peeps will understand this.

2+2 =Fish
3+3= Eight
7+7= Triangle

Abi now, creativity all the way. undecided

Okay oga Mister Creative Ceasar, abeg what of 6 + 9? Is it equal to 69? cool tongue grin

Hahahaha...

2 Likes

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:15am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

Who remembers everything he/she has written in an exam?

Everyone crams. Even the most intelligent people cram. You can cram and also have comprehensive understanding of a topic.. They are not mutually exclusive.

For instance, in management accounting, it is best to cram the formulas and understand the theory. A mixture of techniques.

Not saying cramming is a crime. Pls don't get me wrong. My point is that cramming isn't a form of intelligence.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by AdeniyiA(m): 8:16am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

And I would argue that it isn't. Retentive memory? After the exam, do you remember all you have crammed? Talking about time, an intelligent student knows better ways to pass an exam with limited time to study .
The better way is high level CRAMology cheesy,
seriously,as we all know that hands on practical works enhances understanding nd knowledge, but in Nigeria what we know best is practical less theories hence unavoidable cramming...
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:17am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

We don't need to wait for our environment to applaud a thing before we do it. That's the excuse pulling many people down.

cheesy

Actually, creativity can be stifled or encouraged.

In countries like the USA, top private primary/elementary schools focus on exploring individual creativity. They teach young children with interactive puzzles and learning aids. Now, the difference comes out when you see two schools with the same curriculum and good teachers, yet one school has students that are utterly amazing...almost geniuses.

Take the chinese government's hardcore structuring of their education system. It is no wonder they outperform American students. If the society or government does not implement certain things, the people suffer.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Captain001(m): 8:18am On Sep 04, 2014
engineerd:

It took me about 1 minute or less to solve that puzzle....Very nice
Put together a 2 and a mirror reflected 2 and u get a fish shape
Put together a 3 and a mirror reflected 3 and u get figure 8
Put together a 7 and a mirror reflected 7 and u get a triangle shape..

You are the only the only who has shown creativity in solving the puzzle be it right or not. Others just claimed to understand it without showing how they did.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

The society doesn't define intelligence. That a student crammed his way to exam success doesn't make him intelligent one bit.

You know, if we were talking about a different society, say the US, then, I'd have agreed wholeheartedly to your proposition.

However, In Nigeria, try to think outside the box, and some professors will label you 'oversabi' and while the guy who crams the profs notes word for word and swallows all the outdated 1960 information hook line and sinker gets an 'A' and is labelled a genius, then you the intelligent, who dares to know and pursue knowledge gets an 'E' grin.

Well, in the end the mediocre like you put it gets rewarded for being a crammer and you would have been an Albert Einstein of this generation is labelled the unintelligent.

Try to get my drift Here alright?

3 Likes

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:20am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

Not saying cramming is a crime. Pls don't get me wrong. My point is that cramming isn't a form of intelligence.

Cramming is a form of intelligence.

If cramming is easy, why cant people just do it and get 5 star in economics courses? Economics doesnt require too much reasoning. Just know the theories and cram how the graphs are to look in different situations.

Cramming is a skill in itself.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by igbsam(m): 8:20am On Sep 04, 2014
2scorehigh:

Okay oga Mister Creative Ceasar, abeg what of 6 + 9? Is it equal to 69? cool tongue grin

Hahahaha...

Its a Yin Yang....does that make me intelligent ?
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:22am On Sep 04, 2014
GodMode:

Wrong

Intelligence = creativity..

because u need the ability to understand before you can create anything.

intelligence = understanding basic principles like science, economy, mathematics, etc and applying them to solve problem.

creativity = stretching these understanding to the limit. creativity is more dependant on ur experienced, what u have been through etc.
the messi, ronaldo, p sqaure, Jackson of this world are very creative people with very challenging background
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by daryoor(m): 8:23am On Sep 04, 2014
nigerians are very creathief

they will steal money any you drag the case for years without proof
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:24am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

If cramming is easy, why cant people just do it and get 5 star in economics courses? Economics doesnt require too much reasoning. Just know the theories and cram how the graphs are to look in different situations.

You are so wrong... Economic is a social science and requires alot of reasoning.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:27am On Sep 04, 2014
abdulwastecx:

You are so wrong... Economic is a social science and requires alot of reasoning.

Fail.

Economics assumes that humans are rational and models work. It is a subset of social science that is very black and white

Demand and supply only work if the buyer/supplier thinks rationally
Economic models only work if the macroeconomic policies are in place.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:28am On Sep 04, 2014
abdulwastecx:

intelligence = understanding basic principles like science, economy, mathematics, etc and applying them to solve problem.

creativity = stretching these understanding to the limit. creativity is more dependant on ur experienced, what u have been through etc.
the messi, ronaldo, p sqaure, Jackson of this world are very creative people with very challenging background

You are on the right track....
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 04, 2014
Ceasar1: This is a tough one. But I think creativity is a standout of intelligence. So you've got to be intelligent to be creative. undecided

Okay check this puzzle out. Intelligent peeps will only read this, while creative peeps will understand this.

2+2 =Fish
3+3= Eight
7+7= Triangle

Abi now, creativity all the way.
I got it , I got it! Yaay! After minutes of looking for the answer ........just turned all the figures in my head grin

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:31am On Sep 04, 2014
AdeniyiA:
The better way is high level CRAMology cheesy,
seriously,as we all know that hands on practical works enhances understanding nd knowledge, but in Nigeria what we know best is practical less theories hence unavoidable cramming...

According to your school of thought...
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:35am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

According to your school of thought....

Economics require reasoning...deep one. I studied Economics, graduated with a 4 point. Intelligence entails being conscious of what you do. Cramming doesn't give you that. Yes it is a skill. Skill and intelligence are not mates.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by 2scorehigh(m): 8:35am On Sep 04, 2014
igbsam:

Its a Yin Yang....does that make me intelligent ?

It does.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by abdulwastecx(m): 8:36am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

Fail.

Economics assumes that humans are rational and models work. It is a subset of social science that is very black and white

Demand and supply only work if the buyer/supplier thinks rationally
Economic models only work if the macroeconomic policies are in place.

I am a civil engineer. .. in all field of formal education, assumptions are always made to developed theories.

when u design structure, u assumed the behaviour of materials, you assumed the design load, you assumed mathematival models etc. ideal condition is not always possible while formulating theories.

economic requires aloy of reasoning

2 Likes

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Mhizjay(f): 8:41am On Sep 04, 2014
Wow! I love this
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:42am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

According to your school of thought....

Economics require reasoning...deep one. I studied Economics, graduated with a 4 point. Intelligence entails been conscious of what you do. Cramming doesn't give you that. Yes it is a skill. Skill and intelligence are not mates.

What deep reasoning in economics? Economics is very black and white on paper. Taxes increases govt revenue, higher levels of exports is better for balance of trade, etc.

If you studied economics, you would know this.

I also studied economics.
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Chuksab: 8:48am On Sep 04, 2014
6+6 = An eye glass
9 + 9 = An eye glass
4 + 4 = An Umbrella
Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Cheers01: 8:49am On Sep 04, 2014
abdulwastecx:

I am a civil engineer. .. in all field of formal education, assumptions are always made to developed theories.

when u design structure, u assumed the behaviour of materials, you assumed the design load, you assumed mathematival models etc. ideal condition is not always possible while formulating theories.

economic requires aloy of reasoning

Here is the difference with Engineering-

-with technological advances, the reasoning changes. With economics, the reasoning is still constant. Look at your engineering textbooks from 3 years ago and look at the ones today then look at old and new economics textbooks. Note how little econnomics change at all

-with engineering, new techniques come out and there is an infinite number of ways to design a building. With economics, there is no new economic model discoverable, no new macroeconomic variables. Whatever happens conform the to the established economic schools of thought.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by Caracta(f): 8:50am On Sep 04, 2014
Cheers01:

What deep reasoning in economics? Economics is very black and white on paper. Taxes increases govt revenue, higher levels of exports is better for balance of trade, etc.

If you studied economics, you would know this.

I also studied economics.

I don't know where you graduated from or what you were taught. I've come to understand that every course requires a level of reasoning, no matter how insignificant you may see it. For a graduate to tell me Economics requires no reasoning, then I'm short of words. Even a cleaning job requires some form of reasoning.

Students cram their ways through school and once they pass, they believe they are intelligent. That is where intelligence comes in, you go above the usual classroom exercise. Just maybe that is why I think Economics requires deep reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Intelligence Over Creativity. by JustCare: 8:51am On Sep 04, 2014
Caracta:

neither does it make the student dumb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jamb Online Registration 2012/13 Now On: Click Here To Apply / NUC Orders Universities To Shut Down For 3 Weeks For 2023 Election / Female Students Should Stop Cooking For Their Boyfriends - Zambian Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.