Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew (73887 Views)

Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? / Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by LadyH(f): 6:04pm On Aug 05, 2014
Buchukwu: RUBBISH THREAD.
lol! B nice!
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by ElFenomeno1: 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2014
farano: Wash the tomatoes and blend alongside the fresh pepper. Boil for few minutes, lets say 2 - 4 minutes , and pour the tomato paste into a sieve and allow to sieve out the water. It wouldn't leak if you pour gently.

The secret of losing the sour taste is in the sieve of the tomatoes and frying with lots of oil which could be filtered out after frying. It works perfectly for me.

undecided

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by igbsam(m): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2014

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by smileandlove(f): 6:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
farano: Wash the tomatoes and blend alongside the fresh pepper. Boil for few minutes, lets say 2 - 4 minutes , and pour the tomato paste into a sieve and allow to sieve out the water. It wouldn't leak if you pour gently.

The secret of losing the sour taste is in the sieve of the tomatoes and frying with lots of oil which could be filtered out after frying. It works perfectly for me.
I don't cook the tomatoes before seiveing it. Just blend my tomatoes,sieve it then fry with low heat with my plenty blended onion.
This saves my gas and the sour taste is gone.

Btw if you boil/fry the blended tomatoes,until it gets dry? Have you not lost all the nutrients? And it takess more time cooking the tomatoes, wasteing gas and you still lose the nutrients.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Thanks op.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by frehage: 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
1. Boil the blended tomatoes to completely evaporate the water content.
2. Fry the tomatoes until it is done making sure to stir continuously.
3. Add the rest ingredients(meat or fish, etc.) as desired.
4. Enjoy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by red101(f): 6:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
at what point do you add your seasonings and meat stock? how do you keep the stew from being too oily?
someone please write a detailed recipe. thanks
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
Abiagirl777:

lol,it means when you mek it,while eating de stew,e be like de stew dey slap ur cheeks lyk unripe UDARA,its common.
I know what the op is talking about. She doesn't cook it properly.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by stanisbaratheon: 6:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
@op na rotten tomato you dey use cook??
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
If you don't have a lot of time to boil and then fry, add a little sugar before frying. Trust me, it works.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by buchibabe: 6:59pm On Aug 05, 2014
farano: hmmm only a good cook fit understand wetin i write sha

are u reffering to tin tomatoea or fresh one
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Melasam(f): 7:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
i believ evryone hs his/her recipe bt trust me dis one(op's) wrks real gud. kudos dear.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by hazyfm: 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
DON'T BELIEVE, TILL I ASK MY WIFE grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by farano(f): 7:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
buchibabe:

are u reffering to tin tomatoea or fresh one
Fresh tomatoes
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by scribble: 7:06pm On Aug 05, 2014

u want to kill ur husband with oil abi
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Forwetinnah: 7:20pm On Aug 05, 2014
mayblossom:

Exactly!! Fry the tomato well well until it´s done. How do you know you´ve fried it enough? Lift some quantity with your frying spoon. You´ll notice that even in the spoon, the tomato will continue frying (showing heat bubbles) for a few seconds before it stops. Then you´re good to go. Go ahead and add your meat stock and enjoy your tasty stew.My grandma taught me this, so it has been working since like forever. But the ish is that you can´t leave the kitchen o. You have to stay there and continue stirring the tomato while frying to avoid getting burnt and turning black or darker than you like. It takes time and requires patience.

One secret though...you can reduce the water content by boiling the tomato immediately after blending it. When it gets very thick and almost without water(same thickness as tin tomato), then you can start frying. The boiling reduces frying time, thereby reducing the time you get to spend in the kitchen cos while boiling, you don´t need to stir it, just monitor with your eyes.

Kpomkwem... i boil my tomatoes before frying? -that's all
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by dhensity: 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
farano: hmmm only a good cook fit understand wetin i write sha

last stew i made was typical error..i wud never go bck to the kitchen again..it was like i was tasting fresh tomatoes and pepper choi
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by ril19(m): 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
mayblossom:

Exactly!! Fry the tomato well well until it´s done. How do you know you´ve fried it enough? Lift some quantity with your frying spoon. You´ll notice that even in the spoon, the tomato will continue frying (showing heat bubbles) for a few seconds before it stops. Then you´re good to go. Go ahead and add your meat stock and enjoy your tasty stew.My grandma taught me this, so it has been working since like forever. But the ish is that you can´t leave the kitchen o. You have to stay there and continue stirring the tomato while frying to avoid getting burnt and turning black or darker than you like. It takes time and requires patience.

One secret though...you can reduce the water content by boiling the tomato immediately after blending it. When it gets very thick and almost without water(same thickness as tin tomato), then you can start frying. The boiling reduces frying time, thereby reducing the time you get to spend in the kitchen cos while boiling, you don´t need to stir it, just monitor with your eyes.

You know stew making is one hell of an experience for me as a guy who cooks. I so so hate the prolonged boiling and frying, all to eliminate the sour taste.for me stew takes like a hundred years to prepare and I hard that.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by kobonaire(m): 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2014
If you fry tomato with meat you will never complain of tomato taste again tongue
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by kobonaire(m): 7:33pm On Aug 05, 2014
igbsam: ..gif..
nice 'drum' but what's the connection with @topic??
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by kel4soft: 7:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
I normally parboil my paste separately before frying, thats how I lose mine.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by goalburner(m): 7:49pm On Aug 05, 2014
DanNafada: If you don't have a lot of time to boil and then fry, add a little sugar before frying. Trust me, it works.
I hail o
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by shadowwalker101: 8:03pm On Aug 05, 2014
I hail too mehn
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by goalburner(m): 8:11pm On Aug 05, 2014
lillya: Wow there is nothing new under the sun. I thought I am the only one that use this method. Wow you are a good cook. Trust me Game recognises Game
I don't get something here about you and op. Firstly, how would a fresh blended tomato turn sour, or maybe you guys are referin to the preservation techniques in terms of storage, cos I've never tasted anything sour about the tomato in my cookin.
Even in terms of storage, all I know is to blend, and fry it with LOTS of oil until it thickens, shred the excess oil out after fryin and store.
I fink you guys are gettin the sour taste by not adding lots of oil when fryin which makes it burn leaving it with sour taste
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by lorRhyMeZ: 8:23pm On Aug 05, 2014

Tooooo long! Simply bust the tomatoes to remove the seeds inside when washing before u grind or blend...ur stew would never go sour!

Tested! Tasted! N Trusted!

lorRhyMeZ grin

1 Like

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by donodion(m): 8:58pm On Aug 05, 2014

ok
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by GoodFaith: 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2014

I need a cook
Apply in person
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by pat358(m): 9:14pm On Aug 05, 2014
The correct way to describe the stew taste you are talking about is that, the stew slaps in the mouth like unripe fruit.
I understand when you said "sour" but some nairalander's reply shows that they are refering to the "sour" taste as "spoilt"
Another method of getting rid of the tingling taste is to boil the blended tomotoes until dried before frying. With this method, your use less oil & save yourself from cholesterol

3 Likes

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by kadas01(m): 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2014
My own little secret is blending more than enough onions with your pepper and tomatoes to give it a very unique taste!

Thank me later!
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by delishpot: 12:53am On Aug 06, 2014
Na a particular type of tomato dey taste Sour. Esp found at the western parts. The ones that are wide like plates. The hausa type doesn't taste sour(slap face) I would hate to lose my tomato juice to the sieve Sha. Can't they boil before grinding? Just boil the tomato with little water not much cos tomato already has water in it. And then leave to sieve then grind. Will that work @OP?

People she did not mean Sour as in spoil o. She meant acidic you know that type wey go make you smile by force when you take a spoon.
Like lemon and co, those fruits wey when you lick am, you go smile by force.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by othenok(f): 1:40am On Aug 06, 2014
I blend with enough onions, add my meat and boil till the tomatoes dries and the meat is tender.

Fat in the meat helps fry d tomatoes a bit plus the meaty taste gets incorporated into the stew.

Add a little Veg oil n other ingredients but save the effrin or basil leaf for last.

Try this and come back n thank me.
Re: The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew by Motolank: 3:48am On Aug 06, 2014
EfemenaXY:

I agree that tomatoes can be very acidic, but cooked tomatoes are more acidic than fresh tomatoes. Having said that, I've never tasted sour tomato stew cooked with fresh ingredients.

Besides, don't you think sieving off the juice reduces the amount of essential vitamins (A and C) contained in the fruit itself?
Vit A & C would av bin falling off our bodies, if tomatoes have in in such quantity....

I begggy

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The ₦100 Oranges I Bought In Birnin Kebbi (Photo) / I Went To My Girlfriend’s House And The Mother Served Me This Food / Check Out This Mosquito Meat Made From 500,000 Mosquitoes (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.