Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,353 members, 7,812,004 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? (16888 Views)

Between Kerosene Pressure Stove And Ordinary Kerosene Stove / The Secret Of Losing The Sour Taste In The Tomato Stew / The Secret Of Buka Stew - MSG, Firewood, Palm-oil Or Juju ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Conner44: 3:36pm On May 13, 2012
i and my friend are currently arguing about this topic.

He says they all taste the same and the only difference is the time it takes to get the food done.

As for me i believe that firewood is the best for bringing out the taste of any cooking, my mum and grand mum both confirmed this fact.

But for the benefit of doubt, i will like more views on this issue. Can anyone add their observations please . . .

1 Like

Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2012
im sorry to say this but both your mums must be really old croonies to be spreading that false tale to their future generations. I am sure if i dont set the records straight you would go ahead to misinform your own children.

FIREWOOD: fast

STOVE: faster

GAS: fastest

easy as a.b.c, the only difference is that in the case of the firewood smoke from the fire manages to mix into the food and that gives it a kind of 'smokey' taste. If this taste is what your taste buds recognize as being 'sweet' then you are seriously on a very very long thing.

Why Mr. Biggs and Tantis never dey use firewood dey cook for their kitchen since? abi nor be 'FAST & SWEET' foods be their business? or u go wan talk say e better to use candle light take read for night pass electric bulb because na wetin ur mama and grandmama been use that year?

4 Likes

Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by cookie27: 4:33pm On May 13, 2012
lilkech: im sorry to say this but both your mums must be really old croonies to be spreading that false tale to their future generations. I am sure if i dont set the records straight you would go ahead to misinform your own children.

FIREWOOD: fast

STOVE: faster

GAS: fastest

easy as a.b.c, the only difference is that in the case of the firewood smoke from the fire manages to mix into the food and that gives it a kind of 'smokey' taste. If this taste is what your taste buds recognize as being 'sweet' then you are seriously on a very very long thing.

Why Mr. Biggs and Tantis never dey use firewood dey cook for their kitchen since? abi nor be 'FAST & SWEET' foods be their business? or u go wan talk say e better to use candle light take read for night pass electric bulb because na wetin ur mama and grandmama been use that year?

She didn't ask which is the fastest. She asked which brings out the taste. Every good cook knows that there's nothing like good old firewood or charcoal smoke to really give flavor to ANY meal. Large fast food chains may not use them because of industry regulations and such, but nothing beats firewood. NOTHING.

@OP I've invested in a small coal pot to cook with once in a while when I crave that "ijinle" taste in any of the meals I cook or when I have guests over for sunday lunch and each time, I have my guests asking for more. The taste of traditional soups and stews (efo, gbegiri, omi obe, palm oil-fried pepper) and meals (jollof rice, yam pottage, beans) is especially enhanced.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 13, 2012
electric cooker
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Conner44: 5:21pm On May 13, 2012
cookie27:

She didn't ask which is the fastest. She asked which brings out the taste. Every good cook knows that there's nothing like good old firewood or charcoal smoke to really give flavor to ANY meal. Large fast food chains may not use them because of industry regulations and such, but nothing beats firewood. NOTHING.

@OP I've invested in a small coal pot to cook with once in a while when I crave that "ijinle" taste in any of the meals I cook or when I have guests over for sunday lunch and each time, I have my guests asking for more. The taste of traditional soups and stews (efo, gbegiri, omi obe, palm oil-fried pepper) and meals (jollof rice, yam pottage, beans) is especially enhanced.

nice one man, i like dat
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 5:38pm On May 13, 2012
Conner44:

nice one man, i like dat

why wont you like it when you have been 'brain & tongue' washed. Forget what you have been told, the only noticeable difference between those ways of cooking is the time the done takes to get done. Shikena!

@cookie24: what flavour does firewood give your cooking exactly? Is it not 'smoke' flavour? Do you eat smoke? Can you tell us what it tastes like?

Abegi leave story 4 storyline jare. Firewood does not add anything to your food (apart from smoke). I have personally practiced cooking simple beans on stove, gas and firewood and the difference was not in the food but in the time taken and the 'atmosphere' of the kitchen where i conducted that test.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by cookie27: 6:18pm On May 13, 2012
lilkech:

why wont you like it when you have been 'brain & tongue' washed. Forget what you have been told, the only noticeable difference between those ways of cooking is the time the done takes to get done. Shikena!

@cookie24: what flavour does firewood give your cooking exactly? Is it not 'smoke' flavour? Do you eat smoke? Can you tell us what it tastes like?

Abegi leave story 4 storyline jare. Firewood does not add anything to your food (apart from smoke). I have personally practiced cooking simple beans on stove, gas and firewood and the difference was not in the food but in the time taken and the 'atmosphere' of the kitchen where i conducted that test.

Duh.
Barbequed chicken, barbequed fish, ewa aganyin, even mama put (think White House and all those island bukkas)
What do you think gives all these foods their distinct taste? The cooking time? Puhlease.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 8:06pm On May 13, 2012
cookie27:

Duh.
Barbequed chicken, barbequed fish, ewa aganyin, even mama put (think White House and all those island bukkas)
What do you think gives all these foods their distinct taste? The cooking time? Puhlease.

nor be only 'duh', na 'DAH'!

barbequed chicken : the 'SMOKE' from the firewood is what actually makes this chicken edible

barbequed fish : same as above

ewa aganyin : i have practically cooked beans with all three styles and guess what? NO DIFFERENCE (apart from your trademark 'sweet smokey' taste as usual)

mama put : make we no just near this side at all. WHAT DISTINCT TASTE ARE YOU TRYING TO TALK ABOUT?

Please dont be shy (at least for the op's sake), just say it already. The only thing 'distinct' about using firewood is the gard darned 'smoke'

shikena! or as yours truly said 'pahlease'
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by cookie27: 9:28pm On May 13, 2012
lilkech:

barbequed chicken : the 'SMOKE' from the firewood is what actually makes this chicken edible

ewa aganyin : i have practically cooked beans with all three styles and guess what? NO DIFFERENCE (apart from your trademark 'sweet smokey' taste as usual)

mama put : make we no just near this side at all. WHAT DISTINCT TASTE ARE YOU TRYING TO TALK ABOUT?

Please dont be shy (at least for the op's sake), just say it already. The only thing 'distinct' about using firewood is the gard darned 'smoke'

guy, what're you doing on this thread gan self? who sent you message? cos all you've done is shoot yourself in the foot. It's precisely that smoke that makes the difference. That's what makes it taste better (all other things being equal) than the other methods.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 12:23am On May 14, 2012
^^^

thank you for landing finally.

I asked you once before if SMOKE tasted SWEET to you and you have just given me your answer. I envy the taste buds on your tongue for you to be able to enjoy the taste of SMOKE.

one day you go enter market go dey find SMOKE FLAVOUR to buy.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by cookie27: 4:27am On May 14, 2012
lilkech: ^^^

thank you for landing finally.

I asked you once before if SMOKE tasted SWEET to you and you have just given me your answer. I envy the taste buds on your tongue for you to be able to enjoy the taste of SMOKE.

one day you go enter market go dey find SMOKE FLAVOUR to buy.
1. I, and so many other people (you included tongue wink), actually enjoy a smoke-flavored meal / food. Hence our love for barbeques and mama put.
2. Smoke is ACTUALLY sold as a product. It's a very vital ingredient in making sausages (I make my own once in a while, so I should know) and some other foods (bacon, tofu, ham).
3. Once again, what're you doing on this thread?

Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by PrettyCindy(f): 6:49am On May 14, 2012
@op cooking with firewood is not only the fastest but also adds a kind of great flavour to food. That is an indisputeable fact. The only reason all the fastfood outlets don't cook with fire wood is because they won't be allowed to. So your mum and grandma are right on point.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by PrettyCindy(f): 6:54am On May 14, 2012
@cookie thanks for that touching piece of evidence. Quite touching as in if na me, i go go hug transformer sharp sharp.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 7:46am On May 14, 2012
Na wah for some human beings reasoning faculty on this website . . . oh well here we go again
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 7:57am On May 14, 2012
cookie27:
1. I, and so many other people (you included tongue wink), actually enjoy a smoke-flavored meal / food. Hence our love for barbeques and mama put.

i dunno about you but as i write this post the food i cook in my kitchen (with my gas or kerosene stove) tastes far far better than that which you pay for in that 'iya basira' shop that you usually visit. And im talking about common foods like rice, beans or eba & soup. Just come over someday, a trial must convince you.

cookie27: 2. Smoke is ACTUALLY sold as a product. It's a very vital ingredient in making sausages (I make my own once in a while, so I should know) and some other foods (bacon, tofu, ham).

TAAA!! kindly explain to us how SMOKE is packaged and sold in the market you usually patronise. do this or remain silent on this issue

cookie27: 3. Once again, what're you doing on this thread?

dumb question, but as you said before 'DUH' or 'PUHLEASE'
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 7:58am On May 14, 2012
@op: dont mind these people, they are just like you. The only difference is that you are seeking to expand your understanding of the concept of using wood to cook.

its actually simple really, THE UNIQUE TASTE YOU GET WHEN EATING FOODS COOKED OVER FIREWOOD IS SIMPLY AND ONLY THAT OF COMMON SMOKE (i.e. carbon monoxide) . . . is smoke sweet? nah wah o!

let anyone come out and give us specific reasons otherwise . . . i am waiting
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by lilkech(m): 8:04am On May 14, 2012
PrettyCindy: @cookie thanks for that touching piece of evidence. Quite touching as in if na me, i go go hug transformer sharp sharp.

my dear what sort of evidence did you see here? Better run go find fuel take clean ya phone screen well well e hear.

After which if i were you i go run comot outside go 'HEAD BUTT' feeder pillar, try do am now wey nepa dey for maximum results e hear wink
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by solaceguy(m): 3:44pm On May 21, 2012
K
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by cyril83(m): 3:49pm On May 21, 2012
cookie27:

U sounded like ur name "cookie27" and the cookery meaning of 27 has to do wit the year u actually started cooking,I guess it's 1927..chei! what an ancient cook
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Gentiejag(f): 3:53pm On May 21, 2012
Gas-sweet

stove-sweeter

firewood- sweetest

i dont kare if u say its smoke dat enhances d taste firewood prepared food. But bliv me deas a huge difference if u cook a type of food on d three mediums of cookin.

Firewood/smoke makes food taste sweeter..shikena!
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by acidtalk: 3:56pm On May 21, 2012
lilkech:

you are just argueing blindly.
even as a man who cooks very well i know coal and firewood cooked meals taste far better than stove or gas.
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 21, 2012
Wet in person no go read for nairaland?
As for me, I use firewood in my kitchen... use it to cook all sorts of meals from frying eggs to baking cake... that smoke flavor no be here o.... see as all shiddren dey lick their hands when dem chop finiissh...
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by maxtum(m): 3:58pm On May 21, 2012
Do new generation women know "FIREWOOD" ?

Nothing can taste better than a meal prepared from the blazing fire of "FIREWOOD"....that why people still like native party food!

oh! how i wish all this new generation woman can turn to village women when its time to cook! embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by INFO70: 3:59pm On May 21, 2012
firewood lipsrsealed
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Sweetlemon(f): 4:00pm On May 21, 2012
Fire wood brings out the 'party flavour' in food that is why it will be best for parties. Gas cookers are best for unique home cooking, and are better than Kerosene stoves cos they save time and are neater to use (no charcoal stains)
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by youngwiz(m): 4:08pm On May 21, 2012
What concern me in whatever they used in cooking the meal, as far as it is sweet, no problem...
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by opokonwa(m): 4:08pm On May 21, 2012
Many of us hardly experienced the firewood delicacies and most Nigerians have moved up from stove to Gas Cookers.
So, honestly, I think this may not be the best forum/generation to give honest opinions
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by adegbitown: 4:15pm On May 21, 2012
oh! how i wish all this new generation woman can turn to village women when its time to cook! embarassed embarassed

na person wey u wan kill u dey find. Try am 4 a wk and see wetin u go bcom
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by mimifonwon(f): 4:18pm On May 21, 2012
Conner44: i and my friend are currently arguing about this topic.

He says they all taste the same and the only difference is the time it takes to get the food done.

As for me i believe that firewood is the best for bringing out the taste of any cooking, my mum and grand mum both confirmed this fact.

But for the benefit of doubt, i will like more views on this issue. Can anyone add their observations please . . .

firewood is the best, makes everything taste great
Re: Gas, Stove Or Firewood, Which Brings Out The Best Taste In Foods? by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 21, 2012
Conner44: i and my friend are currently arguing about this topic.

Ur mum and Grand mum were very wise women. those women knew how to hold u against ur will with their cooking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do People Like Goat Meat? / How Long Do You Keep Your Soup Frozen Before Considering It Not Eatable Again? / Catering School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.