Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? (13886 Views)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Cooking With Garlic / Let's Talk About Cooking Pots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Diamonddamsel: 6:45am On Jul 31, 2014
If you want to cook tough meat like cow head add 7up to it and it will get soft quickly.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Opiosko: 6:51am On Jul 31, 2014
Yoney007:

Na your opinion be that bros...You are entitled to it.
That's true....but u gotta be sure to drop the poor habit before packing in.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Isiterere(m): 6:52am On Jul 31, 2014
Yoruba belief the sourness of pap(OGI/AKAMU) depend on the hand of the person who process it, wayback when my mum is processing it, she will call me to dip my hand inside the pap bucket while sieving it to make it sour. And it always turn out to be sour and sweet; she tried it once with my sister hand, the pap no get taste at all.

Steering of moin moin, akara, and butter (baking) should be through one way (clockwise or anti-clockwise) not to use the two together to make it better fluffy.

ALL IZZ WELL

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by kendraloops(f): 6:52am On Jul 31, 2014
if you are on your period and you fry akara, it never comes out well. (happened to me o)

if you perceive any sweet cooking aroma at night, you just perceived a witch's cooking.

dont eat pounded yam without soup, you will become deaf.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by angelTI(f): 6:57am On Jul 31, 2014
Don't prepare moin join when menstruating cos it won't be solid as in the moin moin will be as watery as when it was raw

Don't stir stew/soup clockwise and anti-clockwise the same time. Choose one

It's not good to eat new year immediately it comes out

Brb for more.....
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:05am On Jul 31, 2014
You can't cut the oha leaves used to make oha soup with a knife. You have to use your hands or it won't be tasty. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by addicted268(f): 7:07am On Jul 31, 2014
When grinding pepper and it gets into your eyes,lick salt.it works like magic so its not pure myth.I don confirm am.
When cooking with bitterleaf and you don't want to wash d bitterness out d normal way,just cut d leaves like ugu,wash d leaves like ugu and use it for cooking BUT YOU MUST NOT TALK tru out d duration of d cooking.that way d bitterleaf will taste really sweet.I never try dis one and I will NEVER try it.infact I no believe am.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by yousee(m): 7:08am On Jul 31, 2014
sammieguze: Myth 1... Dipping your hands in the pot of stew makes it sour

experiment... After numerous dipping of my hand in the pot in order to... You know.... I can say this is not true coz the soup don't get sour.

Hypotheses... Either my hands are super clean or this is just a myth...

Conclusion... Considering am nt the very meticulous type at that time, it is safe to conclude am nt germ free hence...... THIS IS JUST A MYTH

pls try experiment two: egusi soup

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 31, 2014
MrRhymes101: when removing the feathers of a chicken, don't make noise or they grow back
I believed this when I was younger, even now I still avoid talking when plucking. Funny thing though, I still notice those tiny feather-like strands on the birds, talk or no talk o!

Another one: when mixing all purpose flour, maintain one turning direction e.g if you are turning to the right, don't change it to left otherwise the mixture will not come out fine.

If salt touches yam flour, the amala will be watery even if it's rock hard when you make it.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by nekaa(f): 7:30am On Jul 31, 2014
panadol inside the oil you want to use to fry fish or chicken; this is to stop it from splashing oil around.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by nekaa(f): 7:34am On Jul 31, 2014
addicted268: When grinding pepper and it gets into your eyes,lick salt.it works like magic so its not pure myth.I don confirm am.
When cooking with bitterleaf and you don't want to wash d bitterness out d normal way,just cut d leaves like ugu,wash d leaves like ugu and use it for cooking BUT YOU MUST NOT TALK tru out d duration of d cooking.that way d bitterleaf will taste really sweet.I never try dis one and I will NEVER try it.infact I no believe am.
That bitter leaf own is quite true o... not like I av done it before buh my room mate has and she said it worked..
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 31, 2014
After cooking, when dinning with the devil, use a long spoon. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Expsbterror(m): 8:23am On Jul 31, 2014
sammieguze: Myth 1... Dipping your hands in the pot of stew makes it sour

experiment... After numerous dipping of my hand in the pot in order to... You know.... I can say this is not true coz the soup don't get sour.

Hypotheses... Either my hands are super clean or this is just a myth...

Conclusion... Considering am nt the very meticulous type at that time, it is safe to conclude am nt germ free hence...... THIS IS JUST A MYTH

#myth buster grin
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by flakydee(f): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2014
Don't cover boiling water for bathing it makes the body ache.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by maygah(f): 8:56am On Jul 31, 2014
some people have owo toh ma kan obe
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by saintneo(m): 9:00am On Jul 31, 2014
leaking the soup spoon will make a man not to grow beards.

currently, I can't stay a week without shaving unless I want to grow something big.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by feldido(m): 9:04am On Jul 31, 2014
I heard a girls said if u naked cook soup, d soup no go sweet cheesy
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Ladybluecash(f): 9:30am On Jul 31, 2014
Wen slicin onion to avoid water cumin out of ur eyes, chew gum
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by oladoya(m): 9:32am On Jul 31, 2014
bokunrawo: Yoruba's are the Most guilty set of Pple Concerning the issue of myth, for xample they say dat Pple should not eat fish head cos it makes dem dull, sme student will not read and they xpect 2pass because they are not eating the head of fish.......

HAVING ISSUES WITH UR UNDERGRADUATE PROJECT WORK CONTACT WWW.SIMPROSTORE.COM OR CALL
0810 752 1870
what's this one saying? The sweetest part of fish is the head. Through out my stay with my parent and elderly people, have not heard of this ur untrue story. Only what they say then is "don't drink coconut water, cos it makes you dull" and not don't eat head of fish as u claimed. Go and advertise ur product and stop talking fibbings.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Elle780(f): 9:54am On Jul 31, 2014
Very true.....especially tomatoes.
SmooshCHN: 1, Grinding pepper with Stone (manually) makes the Stew sweeter.. undecided
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by ireneidiva(f): 10:11am On Jul 31, 2014
Aphex: Lolz.... when cooking, and salt is too much, add salt to d fire either stove or firewood and the salt content will reduce. this is quite common
Its not common. Never heard of it.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Larrysky(f): 10:42am On Jul 31, 2014
dvdon: After cooking, when dinning with the devil, use a long spoon. undecided
gbam
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Tonetonz(f): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2014
CodeineJunkiee: What are the strange myths you've heard about cooking. Like me now, my mum says one doesn't cover draw soup when cooking it. Her reason is that, once covered it does not draw again shocked

Nairalanders feel free to add yours
lolz,the reason is because it foams up and overflows from the pot

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by myspnigeria: 10:54am On Jul 31, 2014
Nothing much...
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Dt03(m): 11:40am On Jul 31, 2014
Aphex: Lolz.... when cooking, and salt is too much, add salt to d fire either stove or firewood and the salt content will reduce. this is quite common

I heard that.... but that is when the salt is too much by a mistake.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 31, 2014
here are mine: lolz

1. as a teenager never eat with the spoon you are using to cook or your breast will grow So long.

2. never give a man his food directly from the fire or he won't be able to perform in bed wella.

3. when a guy is making amala he should never be hit with the stick or else his joystick will grow So long.

4. as a lady never cook any food naked or else your pubic hair will never grow.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Gemc3(f): 11:51am On Jul 31, 2014
When cooking BITTER LEAF SOUP, and you are about putting the bitter leaf, don't talk unless, the soup will be bitter!
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by mike404(m): 11:52am On Jul 31, 2014
natureblack: I heard when preparing dog-meat pepper-soup a lot of dry gin(kai-kai) must be applied.Lest the meat would be too fatty to eat.
ETE MBOM
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by saiprojects(f): 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Godmystrength: 12:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
kendraloops: if you are on your period and you fry akara, it never comes out well. (happened to me o)

if you perceive any sweet cooking aroma at night, you just perceived a witch's cooking.

dont eat pounded yam without soup, you will become deaf.

cheesy cheesy
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Godmystrength: 12:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
nekaa: panadol inside the oil you want to use to fry fish or chicken; this is to stop it from splashing oil around.
shocked shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Share Your Funny Cooking Mistakes Here.... / Indomie, Chikki Or O! Noodles: Which One Tastes Best? / Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.