Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,839 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351680 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 10:01pm On Sep 04, 2016
Toakins:
Please after registering and paying online.. am I supposed to get a print out to use on d exam day? asides from d ID
Yes, your GRE Admission ticket is compulsory for entry into the test center.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 10:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
happyday:

No sir.

Surprised. What happened? I thought you wrote your GRE last year for this fall admission....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 6:52am On Sep 05, 2016
drhopeful:

Surprised. What happened? I thought you wrote your GRE last year for this fall admission....
Yap, but I only passed out this April.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toakins: 9:07am On Sep 05, 2016
happyday:

Yes, your GRE Admission ticket is compulsory for entry into the test center.

I have registered but I didn't get any admission ticket or will it be emailed later?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2016
Hello mates,

Please who has used the GRE section of the ETS site recently??

I just noticed that I can't easily view the test centers and dates as before....has anything changed

Before now, I could monitor and check new test dates, but not any more....the search link "Find Test Centers and Date" doesn't return test centers and dates as before.

Please can someone kindly educate me on how to search for test dates and centers from this site Your swift response will be highly appreciated... cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:28pm On Sep 05, 2016
Toakins:

I have registered but I didn't get any admission ticket or will it be emailed later?
No, you would need to login to your ETS account a day to your test, so you can print it. All the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toakins: 5:59pm On Sep 05, 2016
happyday:

No, you would need to login to your ETS account a day to your test, so you can print it. All the best.

Aiit, Thanks a bunch.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 7:09pm On Sep 05, 2016
seeker88:
Hello mates,

Please who has used the GRE section of the ETS site recently??

I just noticed that I can't easily view the test centers and dates as before....has anything changed

Before now, I could monitor and check new test dates, but not any more....the search link "Find Test Centers and Date" doesn't return test centers and dates as before.

Please can someone kindly educate me on how to search for test dates and centers from this site Your swift response will be highly appreciated... cool
There's been a change on the site, I think they're still working on it. To view available dates: click on "test Centers and Dates", next click on "View test centers, test dates and seat availability". Changes have been made on this page. In the first drop down box you have to select a test, in this case choice will be "GRE General Test", you have other options if you're writing a subject test. In the next box, you have to type a location; typing Nigeria (or just the location e.g. Lagos, Ibadan, Benin) will not give you any result. If you're using a computer, you'll get suggestions as you're typing making your job easier, but if you're not you can use the following:

Lagos, Nigeria
Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria

After entering your desired location, you can then click on "Find available test centers and dates" on the bottom of the page.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2016
Topiipii:

There's been a change on the site, I think they're still working on it. To view available dates: click on "test Centers and Dates", next click on "View test centers, test dates and seat availability". Changes have been made on this page. In the first drop down box you have to select a test, in this case choice will be "GRE General Test", you have other options if you're writing a subject test. In the next box, you have to type a location; typing Nigeria (or just the location e.g. Lagos, Ibadan, Benin) will not give you any result. If you're using a computer, you'll get suggestions as you're typing making your job easier, but if you're not you can use the following:

Lagos, Nigeria
Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria

After entering your desired location, you can then click on "Find available test centers and dates" on the bottom of the page.

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation.

However, I followed the steps outlines above but didn't get the desired result. After clicking on "View test centers, test dates and seat availability", a page opened for the next step: In the 1st box on the page ("Please select a test"wink, there was no drop down box to select from, so i had to type "GRE General Test" in the text box.
In the 2nd box ("Find test center at or near this location"wink, I typed a location following the clue you gave, and finally clicked on the "find available test centers and dates" tab beneath d page. But finally, the last click didn't effect any change on the page as the page could not load to return search result......or could it be from my browser; I used mozilla firefox & internet explorer on PC...? Like you said, perhaps, it a general issue and they might still be working on it. Once again, thanks plenty bro!!! cool

Please any further assistance from a recent user of this site will be highly appreciated....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pitykitten: 9:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
Hello everyone.

I work full-time (weekends inclusive) and I'm looking to take the GRE in November, that's about 10weeks prep time. I'm working towards a combined score of 320. Do you consider this feasible?

I would have only about 4hours study time daily and I've seen a lot of books listed here, but i know I can't go through them all. So what books would you consider good enough, especially considering my short preparation time.

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:15am On Sep 07, 2016
Pitykitten:
Hello everyone.

I work full-time (weekends inclusive) and I'm looking to take the GRE in November, that's about 10weeks prep time. I'm working towards a combined score of 320. Do you consider this feasible?

I would have only about 4hours study time daily and I've seen a lot of books listed here, but i know I can't go through them all. So what books would you consider good enough, especially considering my short preparation time.

Thank you.
I'm working towards a combined score of 320. Do you consider this feasible?
YES, I do.

If you're working full-time including weekends, then I think the 4 hours is on the high side! It's better to break your study times into 3/4 chunks of 30 minutes prep, than planning to 'jack' for a 4-hr stretch.

In my opinion, you're better off NOT spending too much time on prepping for the AWA. Just ensure you plan out how you'll structure your responses few days to the test, and take two practice essays one on Issue and the other on Argument. Because I can safely say you write concisely and clearly. But it won't hurt to get yourself familiar with the structure of the AWA section before test day.

With that out of the way, take a practice test in the next 4-hour window you can spare, on pages 309 - 344 of the Official Guide to the GRE. Take the two Quant and Verbal sections. See that your testing conditions mirror the actual test closely. Rather than focusing on your scores, painstakingly review each question, noting why you got it right/missed it. For the ones you missed, dig deeper to ascertain if it's a content gap or an oversight from you. For instance, it might be that your 'Combinations and Permutations' problem-solving skill is rusty, or you misread the question. Or you spent way too much time on it.

Whatever it was that tripped you off, think about why you specifically failed a question. The goal is to become ruthless with understanding your weaknesses, such that you don't make the same mistake twice.

Do this first, and you can take things up from there. As it gets pretty interesting afterwards, such that your questions are more directed and specific afterward. Sorry, if you were looking for a one-size-fits-all prep schedule.

So, in case I haven't you said it, for now, you only the need the Official Guide (from the makers of the test). All the best.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2016
In summary, cheesy

i. It's better to break your study times into 3/4 chunks of 30minutes prep (depending on your strength, 1hour each works for me), than planning to 'jack' for a 4-hr stretch.

ii a. You're better off NOT spending too much time on prepping for the AWA. Just ensure you plan out how you'll structure your responses few days to the test, and take two practice essays one on Issue and the other on Argument.

ii b. Get yourself familiar with the structure of the AWA section before test day.

iii a. Take a practice test in the next 4-hour window you can spare on the Official Guide to the GRE. Take the two Quant and Verbal sections. See that your testing conditions mirror the actual test closely.

iii b. Rather than focusing on your scores, painstakingly review each question, noting why you got it right/missed it. For the ones you missed, dig deeper to ascertain if it's a content gap or an oversight from you.

The goal is to become ruthless with understanding your weaknesses, such that you don't make the same mistake twice.

So, in case I haven't you said it, for now, you only the need the Official Guide (from the makers of the test). All the best.

C'est fini! grin

[s]Do anything outside this quote and na jara you just wan add.[/s] cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 11:10am On Sep 07, 2016
Pitykitten:
Hello everyone.

I've seen a lot of books listed here, but i know I can't go through them all. So what books would you consider good enough, especially considering my short preparation time.

Specially uploaded to dropbox for you... wink

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zmshe3dzsdkzwfe/AADzNPplTrgqrYdS4IfNZ7zZa?dl=0

Official GRE Quant. and Verbal practice booklets. 10mb and 12.5mb for each.

Work towards avoiding minor mistakes in the Quant. section, goodluck as you prepare.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2016
iCool:

Specially uploaded to dropbox for you... wink

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zmshe3dzsdkzwfe/AADzNPplTrgqrYdS4IfNZ7zZa?dl=0

Official GRE Quant. and Verbal practice booklets. 10mb and 12.5mb for each.

Work towards avoiding minor mistakes in the Quant. section, goodluck as you prepare.

I would add Manhattan 5lb for verbal and Nova for Quant. Helped very much. Download memrise and learn Barron's 800 essential GRE vocab.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2016
drhopeful:

I would add Manhattan 5lb for verbal and Nova for Quant. Helped very much. Download memrise and learn Barron's 800 essential GRE vocab.

Hope yours isn't the 2nd edition?

I had the 2nd edition but someone dropped the link (a few pages back) for the 4th edition.

For those 'still planning to' register for the exams, please do it as soon as possible; register, 'get a test date and keep' it. It's either dates are filling up real quick or dates previously available are currently being cancelled (dunno).

Current p/h availability for TOEFL -

Sat., Sep 17, 2016
Sat., Oct 22, 2016
Sat., Nov 05, 2016
Sat., Nov 12, 2016
Sat., Dec 03, 2016
Fri., Dec 09, 2016
Sat., Dec 17, 2016

First two weekends in October which was my plan as at last week has disappeared! shocked Had to shift date to Sept, more reading to do!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 7:32pm On Sep 07, 2016
iCool:

I had the 2nd edition but someone dropped the link (a few pages back) for the 4th edition.

For those 'still planning to' register for the exams, please do it as soon as possible; register, 'get a test date and keep' it. It's either dates are filling up real quick or dates previously available are currently being cancelled

Sat., Sep 17, 2016
Sat., Oct 22, 2016
Sat., Nov 05, 2016
Sat., Nov 12, 2016
Sat., Dec 03, 2016
Fri., Dec 09, 2016
Sat., Dec 17, 2016

First two weekends in October which was my plan as at last week has disappeared! shocked Had to shift date to Sept, more reading to do!
iCool, 2nd edition of which of the books?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 7:42pm On Sep 07, 2016
seeker88:

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation.

However, I followed the steps outlines above but didn't get the desired result. After clicking on "View test centers, test dates and seat availability", a page opened for the next step: In the 1st box on the page ("Please select a test"wink, there was no drop down box to select from, so i had to type "GRE General Test" in the text box.
In the 2nd box ("Find test center at or near this location"wink, I typed a location following the clue you gave, and finally clicked on the "find available test centers and dates" tab beneath d page. But finally, the last click didn't effect any change on the page as the page could not load to return search result......or could it be from my browser; I used mozilla firefox & internet explorer on PC...? Like you said, perhaps, it a general issue and they might still be working on it. Once again, thanks plenty bro!!! cool

Please any further assistance from a recent user of this site will be highly appreciated....

I am just seeing this, it seems your post was initially hidden. You may need to update your browser to see if it will resolve the issue. I took the liberty of checking the available dates in case you might find the info useful.

Lagos
September 19, 2016 - Monday
September 29, 2016 - Thursday
October 02, 2016 - Sunday
October 03, 2016 - Monday
October 12, 2016 - Wednesday

PortHarcourt
October 20, 2016 - Thursday

Abuja
September 30, 2016 - Friday
October 17, 2016 - Monday

Ibadan and Benin returned no results.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 7:52pm On Sep 07, 2016
4th Edition of which of the books pls?

iCool:

For those 'still planning to' register for the exams, please do it as soon as possible; register, 'get a test date and keep' it. It's either dates are filling up real quick or dates previously available are currently being cancelled (dunno).

Sat., Sep 17, 2016
Sat., Oct 22, 2016
Sat., Nov 05, 2016
Sat., Nov 12, 2016
Sat., Dec 03, 2016
Fri., Dec 09, 2016
Sat., Dec 17, 2016

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 7:53pm On Sep 07, 2016
drhopeful:
iCool, 2nd edition of which of the books?
Manhattan 5lb. Book
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pitykitten: 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2016
Happyday, Your response blew me away, literally. Lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed response. I do not take it for granted.

iCool, I'm on my own if I decide to do extra senrenren for now abi? Lol. Thank you for the Dropbox add. God bless.

drHopeful, thank you. I saw some links to Nova here, I'll be sure to get on it after I'm done with the Official guide. All the best as you prepare to retake the exam, maybe 330, AWA- 5.5 this time? *wink*

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 9:52pm On Sep 07, 2016
iCool:

Manhattan 5lb. Book

Thanks. I am not sure what edition I have. Can't seem to find it written anywhere in the book. But it was published 2013.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2016
Pitykitten:

Happyday, Your response blew me away, literally. Lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to give a detailed response. I do not take it for granted.

iCool, I'm on my own if I decide to do extra senrenren for now abi? Lol. Thank you for the Dropbox add. God bless.

drHopeful, thank you. I saw some links to Nova here, I'll be sure to get on it after I'm done with the Official guide. All the best as you prepare to retake the exam, maybe 330, AWA- 5.5 this time? *wink*

@bold.....very very tall order but definitely not impossible. I will try my best! Thanks. Wish you all the best too!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 6:27am On Sep 08, 2016
drhopeful:

Thanks. I am not sure what edition I have. Can't seem to find it written anywhere in the book. But it was published 2013.
2nd edition - 2011
4th edition - 2014

Will upload it before noon. Engaged in some downloading for now.

UPDATE: Link to the Mahattan 4th edition (About 230mb) -
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B6FBl1JdVum6Um4yRTdNN1gxa2c&export=download

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:37am On Sep 08, 2016
Topiipii:

I am just seeing this, it seems your post was initially hidden. You may need to update your browser to see if it will resolve the issue. I took the liberty of checking the available dates in case you might find the info useful.

Lagos

PortHarcourt

Abuja

Yes, it appears my post was hidden.

Thank you so much for taking out time to check for the available test dates. I have always had my eyes on the 12th Oct date in PHC...just wanted to be sure the date is still available before fixing my leave. This info has helped a lot!

I will update my browser as advised before checking it again, and hope it works. Please which of the browsers do u use for this?

Also, I saw an update on the GRE website about the Technical Difficulties being experienced on the test-take portal. So i think it might be a general issue.

Once again, thank you very much for your assistance.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:53am On Sep 08, 2016
Hello mates,

Please is there anyone who's currently preparing with the GRE Kaplan online test (the MST tests) or who has prepared with it b4?? The scores i get in my practice test are not encouraging at all (max of 156 in Quant, and 150 in Verbal). It appears the MST tests are more difficult than the real test...?

Biko who has used this to prepare for the GRE test, and how does your real test score compares to your Kaplan MST scores?

Also, there's this app (prep4GRE) i stumbled on in Playstore which I think is cool, but dunno how relevant it is for my preparation....please, who knows how relevant that app is for GRE preparation

Thanks my people...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by essayHelp(m): 2:06pm On Sep 08, 2016
sirRiddy:
goodluck drhopeful smiley with rewriting
We 'supporters club' stand gidigba for your back wink

I believe the GRE is slightly overrated. I had 328 initially and 332 after rewriting; and I didn't notice much benefit.

The most important things, in my opinion, are knowing your budget and choosing the right schools.

It may be more beneficial to focus on other aspects of one's application than rewriting.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by essayHelp(m): 2:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
seeker88:
Hello mates,

Please is there anyone who's currently preparing with the GRE Kaplan online test (the MST tests) or who has prepared with it b4?? The scores i get in my practice test are not encouraging at all (max of 156 in Quant, and 150 in Verbal). It appears the MST tests are more difficult than the real test...?

Biko who has used this to prepare for the GRE test, and how does your real test score compares to your Kaplan MST scores?

Also, there's this app (prep4GRE) i stumbled on in Playstore which I think is cool, but dunno how relevant it is for my preparation....please, who knows how relevant that app is for GRE preparation

Thanks my people...

Kaplan does not simulate the real GRE experience: it is considerably easier than the real exam.

Use Powerprep, Manhattan online tests, and Magoosh.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 3:01pm On Sep 08, 2016
seeker88:
Hello mates,

Thanks my people...
essayhelp is right. Kaplan practice tests don't mirror the difficulty of what you'll see on a real test. That you find them difficult doesn't mean the tests are helping you prepare for the real GRE. Most of these tests actually set very hard questions, that would never be asked in the real thing. They do this so you can feel bad about your prep, and think you're way behind in your prep. I think practice tests from the official guide, Manhattan (for Quant only) and Magoosh are better.

When you say the app is 'cool', what do you mean? I haven't heard about it, though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 3:13pm On Sep 08, 2016
essayHelp:

Kaplan does not simulate the real GRE experience: it is considerably easier than the real exam.

Use Powerprep, Manhattan online tests, and Magoosh.

Thanks for the advice... cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2016
happyday:

essayhelp is right. Kaplan practice tests don't mirror the difficulty of what you'll see on a real test. That you find them difficult doesn't mean the tests are helping you prepare for the real GRE. Most of these tests actually set very hard questions, that would never be asked in the real thing. They do this so you can feel bad about your prep, and think you're way behind in your prep. I think practice tests from the official guide, Manhattan (for Quant only) and Magoosh are better.

When you say the app is 'cool', what do you mean? I haven't heard about it, though.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

And for the app being cool, I was referring to the ease of use and the portability of the app. It also has a plethora of Quant n Verbal Questions for practice, predict scores for the Quant n Verbal section as one keeps practicing, indicates ones pace, etc

BTW, who knows a nice GRE material that treated "Permutation & Combination" wella...? I discovered this topic to be one of my weak points in Quant? Any suggestion on this will be highly valued.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 08, 2016
essayHelp:

I believe the GRE is slightly overrated. I had 328 initially and 332 after rewriting; and I didn't notice much benefit.

The most important things, in my opinion, are knowing your budget and choosing the right schools.

It may be more beneficial to focus on other aspects of one's application than rewriting.
I don't totally agree with that based on my experience though. The major factor that got me a GA was my GRE and I am thankful for each minute I put into prep then. You are right with your last statement. It is where you need to be shrewd and have a great deal of luck. So which schools did you apply to? Are you in a grad program now?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2016
Topiipii:

Lagos

PortHarcourt

Abuja

Surprisingly, I tried doing this with my phone and it worked very fine.....after updating all my browsers which never worked. grin
Thanks bro, u are too much.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.