Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349186 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 2:16pm On Dec 13, 2016
Afternoon bro's and madams,...guys pls with ur experiences which topic occurs more on d Gre Quant.. Can u rank dem... God bless u...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:02pm On Dec 13, 2016
Time2Smile:
Wow, 93 percentile, that's highly impressive. By the way which schools are you applying to. I could not get a Dec test date for GRE and I am scrambling to find suitable schools that accept applications in January.

Thank you.

Michigan State Uni~
Iowa State Uni (PhD Jan 1 deadline)~
Uni of Florida (Deadline for PhD was Dec 5, for MSc is Jan 8 )
Texas Tech Uni (Jan 8 )
Uni of New Mexico (Jan 15 Msc)
L.S.U Baton Rouge
Mississipi State Uni
Kansas State Uni

All for fall 2017 (I think all have deadlines in January bu not sure of the exact dates). All Chemical engineering. Funding is important. I think it is criminal for anyone to spend a dime of his own money doing research for a school. So yea, Masters of Science or PhD. If the school want a dime from me, they can take their admission and shove it where the sun don't shine. grin

~ signifies still unsure. First one are yet to reply any emails. 2nd say they sponsor only PhD.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2016
Lollyij:
Afternoon bro's and madams,...guys pls with ur experiences which topic occurs more on d Gre Quant.. Can u rank dem... God bless u...

Use the ETS guide.

You're bound to see probability. Permutation or combination. Angles. Coordinate geometry. Word problems involving rate or percent increase. Area or Perimeter of a shape- shaded or unshaded portion. Average (arithmetic mean). These ones are almost sure-fire.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 6:29pm On Dec 13, 2016
Mine is 2moro too. Surulere centre.

S and T Reliance. When you get to Masha roundabout/ GTBank side. Walk down the Ogunlana drive. Like 2 mins. Its 2 buildings away from Access Bank on your right.

Nitta08:

Mine is tomorrow too. Please how can I get to RELIANCE S & T LIMITED - 127 OGUNLANA DRIVE SURULERE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Qabt(m): 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
Everyone please I need your help, I registered for TOEFL under BY mafit, I did TOEFL test december 2 and the result is out already. How can I check the result please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kunbeeee: 6:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
Please how sure are you about university of florida being jan i for MS. Last time I checked, the deadline for application for funding for both MS and PHD is Dec 5. This discouraged me from applying
Scholastica16:

Thank you.

Michigan State Uni~
Texas Tech Uni (Jan 8 )
L.S.U Baton Rouge
Mississipi State Uni
Kansas State Uni

All for fall 2017 (I think all have deadlines in January bu not sure of the exact dates). All Chemical engineering. Funding is important. I think it is criminal for anyone to spend a dime of his own money doing research for a school. So yea, Masters of Science or PhD. If the school want a dime from me, they can take their admission and shove it where the sun don't shine. grin

~ signifies still unsure. First one are yet to reply any emails. 2nd say they sponsor only PhD.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2016
Scholastica16:

Thank you.

Michigan State Uni~
Texas Tech Uni (Jan 8 )
L.S.U Baton Rouge
Mississipi State Uni
Kansas State Uni

Congrats on your AW score. I also applied for the chemical engineering program at two of the schools on your list, K-state and LSU. Bear in mind that the application deadline for early bird admission to K state is Dec 15.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2016
kunbeeee:
Please how sure are you about university of florida being jan i for MS. Last time I checked, the deadline for application for funding for both MS and PHD is Dec 5. This discouraged me from applying
The first deadline is probably for early bird admission. Most schools have two deadlines: early bird and the final one. Most applicants send in their application before the final deadline, so the few that send in before the first deadline have a higher chance of getting funding. This only applies to MS applicants though, as very few of them get funded. If you're applying for PhD then you only need to worry about the final deadline.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:03pm On Dec 13, 2016
Qabt:
Everyone please I need your help, I registered for TOEFL under BY mafit, I did TOEFL test december 2 and the result is out already. How can I check the result please?

Go to your TOEFL account. You'd see a column for viewing your score or score report. Something of the sort.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:13pm On Dec 13, 2016
kunbeeee:

Depends on how you checked. As a matter of principle, I do not rely on the information on the portal as that is subject to change. I always try to contact the Grad coordinator to get real time information. So I actually mailed the grad coordinator for the department and that was the feedback he gave. I believe this was the actual construction:

"The deadline for PhD applications was December 5th; the deadline for Master’s applications is January 15
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:30pm On Dec 13, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Congrats on your AW score. I also applied for the chemical engineering program at two of the schools on your list, K-state and LSU. Bear in mind that the application deadline for early bird admission to K state is Dec 15.

Thanks and thanks. Hmmm, if that is the case then I may have to strike them off my list as I may not meet the Dec 15th deadline. However, as is my custom, I mailed the Grad coordinator for the department and this is what I got as feedback:

The deadline to apply for the Fall 2017 semester is January 8th, 2017, unfortunately the Spring deadline has already passed. If interested more for the spring semesters the next deadline for that is August 1st, 2017.

Except he was trying to say "priority" in the place of spring as I did not ask him about a spring deadline. In any case, I'd see if I can rush my application this night but the TOEFL may be a significant handicap as it is unreleased at the moment. If they actually meant December 15th, then I'd have to thank you for saving my $85.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
I think K-State deadline is January 8 for most of their PhD admissions.
But the truth is the earlier, the better. They offer rolling admissions,
first-come-first-serve basis. It is better to be on a GTA in your
first semester so you are not servile to any professor when you first arrive.
For K-State hopefuls, there will be campus carry starting from next Fall, so beware
and prepare your mind for this change.
If you are coming to Manhattan, Kansas this Spring and need a temporary place to stay,
you can send me a pm. Good luck guys.
Scholastica16:

Thanks and thanks. Hmmm, if that is the case then I may have to strike them off my list as I may not meet the Dec 15th deadline. However, as is my custom, I mailed the Grad coordinator for the department and this is what I got as feedback:

The deadline to apply for the Fall 2017 semester is January 8th, 2017, unfortunately the Spring deadline has already passed. If interested more for the spring semesters the next deadline for that is August 1st, 2017.

Except he was trying to say "priority" in the place of spring as I did not ask him about a spring deadline. In any case, I'd see if I can rush my application this night but the TOEFL may be a significant handicap as it is unreleased at the moment. If they actually meant December 15th, then I'd have to thank you for saving my $85.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 9:43pm On Dec 13, 2016
Scholastica16:

Do not be discouraged at all. Since you're applying for phd, you only have to worry about the final deadline as all admitted PhD students are funded. But still, as sirriddy said, the earlier the better.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 9:55pm On Dec 13, 2016
Scholastica16:

K-state general deadline for fall is 08/01. I contacted the admissions office and that was the info I was given. But then, some departments have different deadlines. Like Geology department, deadline is 01/01 for everything including funding.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2016
OGreene:
Mine is 2moro too. Surulere centre.
S and T Reliance. When you get to Masha roundabout/ GTBank side. Walk down the Ogunlana drive. Like 2 mins. Its 2 buildings away from Access Bank on your right.
Thanks dear. Was just thinking of how I'll ask everyone that comes my way tomorrow for directions.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lollyij(m): 10:26pm On Dec 13, 2016
Scholastica16:

Use the ETS guide.

You're bound to see probability. Permutation or combination. Angles. Coordinate geometry. Word problems involving rate or percent increase. Area or Perimeter of a shape- shaded or unshaded portion. Average (arithmetic mean). These ones are almost sure-fire.
Thanks bro..noted.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kunbeeee: 10:39pm On Dec 13, 2016
I get it now..thanks. I am applying for Ms
ChemEngr01:

The first deadline is probably for early bird admission. Most schools have two deadlines: early bird and the final one. Most applicants send in their application before the final deadline, so the few that send in before the first deadline have a higher chance of getting funding. This only applies to MS applicants though, as very few of them get funded. If you're applying for PhD then you only need to worry about the final deadline.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kunbeeee: 10:41pm On Dec 13, 2016
I saw the bolded too but then I got confused by another info along the line. I mailed the grad coordinator for the dept this evening..I havent gotten a response.
Scholastica16:

Depends on how you checked. As a matter of principle, I do not rely on the information on the portal as that is subject to change. I always try to contact the Grad coordinator to get real time information. So I actually mailed the grad coordinator for the department and that was the feedback he gave. I believe this was the actual construction:

"The deadline for PhD applications was December 5th; the deadline for Master’s applications is January 15

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
Good evening. Success to those writing tomorrow. Please how good are this schools in funding for msc civil engr. I have undergraduate cgpa of 4.58 and I will write gre on Sunday.
U Delaware
U Virginia
U of South Carolina
Illinois Institute of Technology

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kunbeeee: 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2016
I plan to apply to (MS in ECE)

University of Pittsburgh
Illnois institute of tech
University of Alabama
UT arlington

I am also looking at syracuse, Clemson.

Please can anyone provide info on the oppurtunities for fundig in these schools.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2016
kunbeeee:
I saw the bolded too but then I got confused by another info along the line. I mailed the grad coordinator for the dept this evening..I havent gotten a response.

Ok. Let's hope he says the same thing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:05pm On Dec 13, 2016
kunbeeee:
I plan to apply to (MS in ECE)

University of Pittsburgh
Illnois institute of tech
University of Alabama
UT arlington

I am also looking at syracuse, Clemson.

Please can anyone provide info on the oppurtunities for fundig in these schools.

Make sure you are sure IIT will fund you. They were on my list at some point but I had to strike them off. I don't think Private Universities fund anyone but I could be wrong. So that goes for Syracuse and Clemson as well. Of course, this is referring to Masters. I didn't look at them for PhD.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:06pm On Dec 13, 2016
aanexplus:
Good evening. Success to those writing tomorrow. Please how good are this schools in funding for msc civil engr. I have undergraduate cgpa of 4.58 and I will write gre on Sunday.
U Delaware
U Virginia
U of South Carolina
Illinois Institute of Technology

Thank you

Check their deadlines for priority except you don't mind funding it yourself. They are good schools. All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:07pm On Dec 13, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Do not be discouraged at all. Since you're applying for phd, you only have to worry about the final deadline as all admitted PhD students are funded. But still, as sirriddy said, the earlier the better.

Yea that was my motivation- that PhD students are funded.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:08pm On Dec 13, 2016
sirRiddy:
I think K-State deadline is January 8 for most of their PhD admissions.
But the truth is the earlier, the better. They offer rolling admissions,
first-come-first-serve basis. It is better to be on a GTA in your
first semester so you are not servile to any professor when you first arrive.
For K-State hopefuls, there will be campus carry starting from next Fall, so beware
and prepare your mind for this change.
If you are coming to Manhattan, Kansas this Spring and need a temporary place to stay,
you can send me a pm. Good luck guys.

Thank you alot. You are doing a PhD program yourself if my memory serves me well?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 13, 2016
Yes.
Scholastica16:

Thank you alot. You are doing a PhD program yourself if my memory serves me well?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:20pm On Dec 13, 2016
sirRiddy:
Yes.

Did you take TOEFL?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2016
I did. To get a TA, TOEFL is compulsory.
100 is a desirable score with a Speaking score of at least 22.
Scholastica16:

Did you take TOEFL?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:25pm On Dec 13, 2016
sirRiddy:
I did. To get a TA, TOEFL is compulsory.
100 is a desirable score with a Speaking score of at least 22.

Thanks. Over to you @ETS TOEFL!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 6:10am On Dec 14, 2016
Scholastica16:
Just want to update the house. My AWA came out as 5 today. 93rd percentile. Saying I am excited does not do justice to how I feel. I was expecting the same 4.5 or 4 because I didn't feel I wrote better than my first one.

I looked at CrunchPrep, Barron, ETS, Nova and Princeton for the AWA but this was before my first one. In the second one, I didn't even practice let alone look at any material.

One thing that changed from the last time was the use of transitional or linking words. I noticed that higher scoring essays rarely made use of firstly, secondly etc but instead used Moreover, However, Additionally etc. My recommendation is that for the Issue-based aspect one should stay away from the use of first, second etc.

As per the Argumentative aspect, the mistake many people make is that they could identify the loopholes but not state the implications/assumptions made by the author and the modifications that could be made to plug those loopholes and make the argument more robust.

For example, if you say "first (yea in the argumentative aspect you could use this but avoid it entirely in the issue-based) the author states that X will happen". You have to add- "by stating this he assumes that Y and Z must have happened. This is not always the case as A or B could have been the cause. By doing so, the author unwittingly makes a fallacy of a false correlation. To make his argument more logically sound, he could have added C and D, that way we can know bla bla bla".

Ofcourse, I am not an authority. I am only stating what I did in both essays to have gotten 4.5 and 5. Having a template to work with also helps. I think I dubbed HappyDay's own. Also take note of some always recurring fallacies like hasty generalization, false correlation and the use of polls. In fact, if your argumentative prompt mentions a poll or survey or questionnaire, begin by questioning it. You can never go wrong.

At the end of the day, the topic you see in the both of them should be favourable to you. I pray it is the case for all members of the forum.

Scholastica16 out!
Great one there! Congrats, boss.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by crowntoro(f): 6:26am On Dec 14, 2016
crowntoro:
Hello guys! Please I would like to know the material I can use for my preparation for both Quantitative and verbal- JUST ONE SOLID MATERIAL that I can use. Thank you guy's..
please this is more than 24hours since I have asked this question, I need response(s)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.