Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352987 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2017
234ng44uk:
Hi everyone. I just did test 1 on powerprep, it was a disaster V149 Q150. That was my first full practice test, the experience was humbling, I thought I was ready for the actual test on 8th April.
Powerprep II only displayed just the scores above, how can I view the questions I got wrong? Also, what can i do to improve my scores by at least 10 points within a week? The questions are simple but I have problem with pacing and making silly mistakes. Your experience please.

Don't fret or give yourself to despair just yet. You still have more than a week to study okay? To show you I can relate to what and how you prolly feel right now, I'll let you in on my experience.

It was exactly a week before my test and I was getting between 300-309. I was scared, I wanted to reschedule but then I couldn't because I had schools waiting for the results of my test. It wasn't a matter of not having enough time to study, rather in hindsight I'd say it was a matter of not practicing enough. So what did I do? I made good use of the Magoosh Premium Account that ieneke( I hope I got this right) dropped. I focused squarely on quant because frankly you've got better chance at improving your quant scores within one week than you do verbal.
In essence what I'm trying to tell you is that youl can still make it. Get access to magoosh premium account, start off by taking tests. Go through the video and text explanation of the question you get wrong, learn concepts and apply them. Take it from me, the week before your test shouldn't see you ransacking materials.Rather you should be practicing questions day and night. The exam is not a test of intelligence but a test of how well you can take the exam. If you can practice quant for 60 hours using magoosh, then you'll do well.
For verbal just use magoosh premium also. Focus on improving your comprehension skill. You have got a better shot at getting all your comprehension right than TC and SE. Watch all the videos on comprehension and know what strengthens and weakens an argument. Learn to read actively and ask yourself questions as- What is the scope of this passage? What is the author trying to say? What is the author's stance? Does he support or not? How does this part of the passage relate with others? What is the conclusion of the passage?
Try to do this and I'm sure you'll do good. That's a "No Brainer"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 234ng44uk(m): 7:04pm On Mar 28, 2017
fredoricko:

Thanks for the encouragement bro. From 300-309 practice score to 315 in a week! I need that type of miracle right now. I won't mind the Magoosh Premium account too if it's still active please. 234ng44uk (at)gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 11:27pm On Mar 28, 2017
aamstih:

Hi, Pls who has got a hard copy of Manhattan 5Lb, Grubber or any other effective practice material that he or she can lend (would be returned after my test), Lasgidi is my location.

I have the soft copies but I need a hard copy that I can always practice with.

Please Kindly quote me and I would get in touch if you can assist.

Thanks

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 28, 2017
Hello friends,
Due to some s******* reasons, I would be retiring/deactivating my moniker and I will be using a new moniker by tomorrow. It was fun being part of this forum using this moniker. cheesy grin kiss

My new moniker would be reDazey.

Good night friends.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 11:46pm On Mar 28, 2017
cuspy:

Congratulations bro.
ezeeche:

Congrats Rex. Those are very good scores. Thanks for putting up your experience and inspiring prospective test takers like myself.
#TeamFall2018 #YesWeCan

Congratulations RexCheeng. Great scores and thanks to you for sharing your experience. Many will benefit from it.

It is time to begin working on other parts of your application. Do it well, my dear. Hope you have contacted recommenders. It is good to have backup recommenders too.

Schrodinger1:

Outstanding!..This is a stellar score, albeit, i can't wait to leapfrog your exceptional performance. you just got me motivated because i'm next in line. Congrats Erudite!!!
seeker88:
Congrats RexCheeng, that's a very good score. I wish all d best with your school applications. Also, thank you for sharing your experience.....I'm sure other prospective test takers will benefit from your personal experience.
ridsan4real:
congrats RexCheeng.
hirschfelder:

You did great. Congrats!!! Wish you all the best with your applications.....
Scholastica16:
Topiipii post=55007095:

Congrats Rex, wish you all the best in your applications.
shayhune:

That's a really good score. Congrats
RexCheeng, that's a great score. You are good to go. You definitely would not need to re-write GRE ever again.
OGreene:
Congrats @RexCheeng!!!! Very good one cool

Thanks a bunch Guys!!!.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dossylvanus(m): 12:26am On Mar 29, 2017
Hello friends,
Due to some s******* reasons, I would be retiring/deactivating my moniker and I will be using a new moniker by tomorrow. It was fun being part of this forum using this moniker. cheesy grin kiss

My new moniker would be reDazey.

Good night friends.

Lol

Dragon Reborn
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by habig1: 3:17pm On Mar 29, 2017
Pls ,I need someone to help me with magoosh videos,here is my email:harlyhabeeb@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 29, 2017
ferfer:

is it still available?
yes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 11:33am On Mar 30, 2017
habig1:
Pls ,I need someone to help me with magoosh videos,here is my email:harlyhabeeb@gmail.com

https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0B5uIbKUaio29b1VtT3R4emtrelk&usp=gmail

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by habig1: 12:15pm On Mar 30, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 3:44pm On Mar 30, 2017
Hi,

Pls do you still have these books intact? if affirmative kindly PM because I can't send a PM to you at the moment. Thanks

meekandholy:
I have new (never used ) 8 sets of Manhattan GRE books for sale. I actually got them to use for GRE but I ended up not writing GRE because my school waived it for me.
It still has the Manhattan free practice code at the back.
if you are interested and ready to give a reasonable price please..... quote me or PM me.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ogunsinamayowa(m): 3:49pm On Mar 31, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 4:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
Update!
Got a second decision and second rejection!
This time from University of Rochester
I sent them an email, requesting to know the part(s) of my application that wasn't competitive enough to secure me an offer. Their reply was that the decision does not necessarily reflect a significant shortcoming in my application. They had over 100 applications for only 5 slots!

It is well is all I can say right now. But its hurting at the same time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 5:45pm On Mar 31, 2017
tuffpuff:
Update!
I sent them an email, requesting to know the part(s) of my application that wasn't competitive enough to secure me an offer. Their reply was that the decision does not necessarily reflect a significant shortcoming in my application. They had over 100 applications for only 5 slots!

I am so sorry. Chin up! All will be well.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
cry How many more left?

tuffpuff:
Update!

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
tuffpuff:
Update!

It has been very competitive this year especially for STEM courses. They are receiving far more applications than they would have a few years back and it has skewed the whole admission shebang.

I can totally relate with whatever you are going through - may be even more. I know Kansas State admitted you in wait so I am hoping the funding situation is resolved and you get it.

It is not easy to look past it as every single thing you do will remind you of the rejection to the point that you'd begin to question yourself. Do you sometimes wonder how you could have improved your application any better so that the decisions won't have hurt? Do you wonder if it was better you made 20 applications and not 8 or 4?

If these things mirror exactly what you are going through, then you are not alone. One thing I am sure of is things will iron themselves out one way or the other. I am probably just consoling myself but it helps me sleep at night. cheesy

Anyways #TeamFall2017

13 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nastydamus(m): 10:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
tuffpuff:
Update!

Don't let it get to you man, you'll get offers from other schools (here's hoping you still have some applications under review).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Solonzo17(m): 11:50pm On Mar 31, 2017
Pls I need magoosh video
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by taiye4real: 8:10am On Apr 01, 2017
RexCheeng:
Recently took the GRE.

Big kudos to those who constantly via this thread, sew into our lives. cool (pun intended)
I am equally honored to add my little quota to the existing plethora of information on this thread.

The GRE isn't a test of intelligence (as they say at the beginning of most texts), it is a test of how well you can take the GRE (Cliche right?).

I started preparation about three months ago; getting acquainted with the structure of the exam, reading the tales of those who performed excellently and those who didn't. I also got the necessary materials suggested; magoosh GRE flashcards app and Memrise app; Even though it might seem a daunting challenge to study and remember 1000 new words in a matter of months, these apps ease you into it. IF you assiduously study a meagre 20 words per day(2 words an hour), you would consummate the GRE vocabs in 50 days. Also it helps that these apps are intertwined, so if you exhaust the magoosh word list (which you should), going to another app (say memrise) would be more or less revision. For those who have ample time to prepare, you can also take time to go through word power made easy by norman lewis; it is a thorough book that helps you really understand etymology and co.
Another wonderful app is Ready4GRE; this not only has vocab flash cards, it simulates the real GRE syllabus and walks you through vital topics and concepts which are pertinent to your learning. I also combed through a lot of Sentence Equivalence and Text Completion Questions on various platforms; Manhattan 5lb, magoosh videos, barrons 6 tests, and princeton 1014 questions. I learned new words in the process and further got acquainted with the strategies and formats to tackle questions; the most efficacious being the Process of Elimination (IMO). For the Reading Comprehension; one key to acing this section is a cultivated reading habit. This can be improved by dedicating time to surfing academia texts, aldaily, nytimes, aeon, and the likes- ameliorating reading speed in the process.

For the Quantitative section, this also requires practice. IMO, the quantitative comparison is perhaps the most important; as this incorporates all other concepts (Geometry, Combinatorics,algebra etc). It also makes up 16/40 questions of the test, and is the only section that would strike most as new. I read the books by manhattan on the various topics, revising old & forgotten concepts. I then went on to solve most of the questions in the 5lb pack. After doing this, I still had a major problem with certain topics such as combinatorics and probability (we all do grin) and I went on to nova GRE bible; they had over 100 questions on each topic. I watched magoosh videos too; learning short cuts and more basic concepts. The Ready4GRE app also had a myriad of really tough questions that was a similitude of the actual exam.

I practiced the Analytical writing section with each practice test; so I had a rigid format, and I was a becoming a virtuoso in the art of using linking words and GRE vocabs. I also went through the question pool during leisure; taking time out to generate at least three points for each question.

The test day was overwhelming!
I had QVQVQ; my dream format, and I proceeded to tackling the question. I cannot overemphasize the effect of adequate practice. I had almost no problem with pacing, even though I saw a few TOUGH traps disguised as questions. I was not so lucky with the verbal section. The Devil himself assisted ETS in setting the questions. Even the TC and SE I though I was good at, they proved to be too hot to handle. I barely had time to finish my last RC set and I had to make lucky guesses. I then had my break; quickly devouring my meal and from my conversation with other test takers, ETS was just in a bad mood that day. The second quant was quite tougher as expected, and I did my best and readily moved on to the verbal section; which seemed relatively easier, same as the last Quant.
I reported scores; 163Q, 157V.
Sent scores to four schools (major key).
And I left feeling elated.

I can't but appreciate the likes of Sirriddy, Time2Smile, topiipii, OGreene, fredoricko, iekene, scholastica16, happyday, Alan (I cant spell that your long german name ) et al. for taking time out to give encouragement, tips and advice. God bless you guys real Good!

Pardon my verbose epistle and malapropist use of recondite and esoteric words. I barely saw 20 words on the exam; and I dont know what to do with the rest of the words in my head.
tescoman90, ezeeche, temmitarts, et al. You are next folks!
#Selah
[color=#770077][/color]

Bravo! that's good news.Well done!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 8:47am On Apr 01, 2017
tuffpuff:
Update!

Sorry about that.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Solonzo17(m): 10:45am On Apr 01, 2017
Pls I need magoosh video prep
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 10:10pm On Apr 01, 2017
PM me if you haven't gotten it

Solonzo17:
Pls I need magoosh video prep
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 2:04pm On Apr 02, 2017
dossylvanus:

Lol

Dragon Reborn
grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
tuffpuff:
Update!

tuffpuff, sorry for the decisions. I know you still have some schools left. Keep expecting a positive outcome. Also, we both applied for the same course in K-State cheesy and we were waitlisted for funding. All I can say right now, everything will turn out fine.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2017
drhopeful:
I am so sorry. Chin up! All will be well.

Thank you drhopeful.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 2:58pm On Apr 02, 2017
reDazey:

tuffpuff, sorry for the decisions. I know you still have some schools left. Keep expecting a positive outcome. Also, we both applied for the same course in K-State cheesy and we were waitlisted for funding. All I can say right now, everything will turn out fine.

I pray dear....K-State is the only one left o. I hope it turns out beautifully.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2017
nastydamus:

Don't let it get to you man, you'll get offers from other schools (here's hoping you still have some applications under review).

Thanks man. I have one school left, and waitlisted for GTA.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 3:09pm On Apr 02, 2017
Scholastica16:

It has been very competitive this year especially for STEM courses. They are receiving far more applications than they would have a few years back and it has skewed the whole admission shebang.

I can totally relate with whatever you are going through - may be even more. I know Kansas State admitted you in wait so I am hoping the funding situation is resolved and you get it.

It is not easy to look past it as every single thing you do will remind you of the rejection to the point that you'd begin to question yourself. Do you sometimes wonder how you could have improved your application any better so that the decisions won't have hurt? Do you wonder if it was better you made 20 applications and not 8 or 4?

If these things mirror exactly what you are going through, then you are not alone. One thing I am sure of is things will iron themselves out one way or the other. I am probably just consoling myself but it helps me sleep at night. cheesy

Anyways #TeamFall2017

Thank you Scholar. Just exactly what goes on in my mind! Wishing I applied to X,Y,Z....wishing I did better in test scores....and so on. It is well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 3:11pm On Apr 02, 2017
OGreene:
cry How many more left?

I have one left. You see why you need to pray more for me right? cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 3:13pm On Apr 02, 2017
aanexplus:

Sorry about that.
Thank you. All will be well...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.