Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,572 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351500 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2017
Time2Smile:
I guess that is it from me for this application season.

I have been accepted to the Molecular and Cell Biology PhD program of The University of Texas at Dallas with a Graduate Tuition Scholarship that covers all tuition and fees. In addition, I will receive a very generous stipend through Graduate Teaching Assistantship.

I only contacted the Graduate coordinator on April 14 and submitted my application on May 1st when the schools were trying to play cello with my future.

I appreciate everyone that has been asking after my application status. It has been arduous, but the difficulty pales in comparison to the sweet taste of success. For those still expecting a decision, don't lose hope. #TeamFall2017 Yes we can.

Congrats!! Time to rest, and re-fire for the new journey ahead. Don't be surprised when other schools start sending admit decisions! Life - so many twists. . .
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tolutweety(m): 10:33pm On Jun 18, 2017
seeker88:
Hello Family, it's been a journey.. .

This is an update from me. Just wanna give a recap of my graduate school application journey so far. A prospective applicant may pick something from this.

I applied to as many schools as I could, not because I was confused but because I earnestly wanted funding as graduate study in d US would be impossible for me without any sort of funding. Also, as my intention was to switch from Petroleum Engineering to Mechanical Engineering, I needed to reach out to as many schools as I could afford.
So I finally applied to 11 schools, got 5 admits, 5 rejections and 1 pending. Find below the decision from each of the schools:

Rejects :
1. Texas A&M University College Station (no reason)
2. Georgia Tech (Waitlisted and eventually rejected)
3. Louisiana State University (no reason)
4. Wichita State University (reason was that I didn't have enough prerequisite courses to get a slot in their MSc Mechanical Engineering Program). Meanwhile, I counted this school as a safe school.
5. Ohio University (same reason as Wichita State)

Admits
1. Texas A&M University Kingsville
2. Florida A&M University/Florida State University
3. Wright State University
4. University of Louisiana Lafayette
5. South Dakota State University

Pending
1. University of Arkansas

In all, I didn't get FULL funding from any of the admits as really desired. However, the offer from TAMUK became my best choice.

Then the schools that lured me into applying with their application fee waiver all rejected my application. They include Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst and Wayne State Uni. I didn't loose out though cos I didn't spend a dime applying to them.

Application Profile
*Bachelor: Petroleum Engineering
*UG CGPA: 4.23 (3.57 by WES evaluation)
*GRE: 154Q, 151V, 4.0
*TOEFL : 91
*2 academic recommendations and 1 professional recommendation.
*3+ years work experience (not in closely related field)
*No research experience
*All applications was for MSc Mechanical Engineering

My Observation
*Apply as early as you can. If possible, submit ur applications before d priority deadline. In my own case, I submitted almost all my applications in Dec '16, but d major challenge was getting my recommenders to have their recommendation submitted, especially the academic ones. Some recommendations were received as late as 3months after application submission. So it's necessary to ascertain the availability of your recommenders before using them.
*You can't be very sure of your "safe schools", so spread your tentacles and apply to as many schools especially the ones that require all materials to be uploaded online with your application. You never can tell which would come through.

Choi, I don talk too much already....
I wish everyone all d best. Cheers!

All the best, Seeker88.
Good luck in your endeavors.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponlear(m): 3:11am On Jun 19, 2017
grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 8:14am On Jun 19, 2017
You deserve it dear, saying I'm happy for you is an understatement. Exactly, I came here to actually inquire about re-taking the GRE and Oludare01 took it upon himself personally, like it was his own journey to make sure I tried as much as possible. Ah, I've made a new friend for life here in him and can't wait to meet him grin. Information is so powerful and we also can't overemphasize the importance of the help of those who have gone before us to keep this thread going. Cheers and I wish us all the best.
Time2Smile:
I am really smitten by everyone's good wishes, Thank you all. I have a lot to share which I would do in due time. Congratulations to seeker88 and Ndawe.

Ndawe's story is particularly sweet, I think she came here initially looking to rewrite the GRE, now she has 2 funded offers using her previous scores. It shows the power of information and threads like this.(Shout out to Oludare01). I hope we all continue contributing.

I just hope Scholastica16 would post his success story soon, we started this together and the thread is better with with him on board.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 8:15am On Jun 19, 2017
Haha, you have already called yourself a prophet oh, see you. Thanks dear and amen to that. God's blessing on yours too
Toakins:
@Time2smile, I have been waiting patiently for your good news. Thank God! Congrats bro!!!
@Ndawe and @seeker,Congratulations!!! God bless your new journey.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 8:19am On Jun 19, 2017
cc dmajor1. I think you should respond to this and follow up with him. What's your area of research interest first?
OluDare01:

What year did you finish your MSc?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ndawe(f): 8:34am On Jun 19, 2017
Amen, thanks so much and I wish you all the best in yours.
miella:

Congrats madam!

Wishing you the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ichify: 11:16am On Jun 19, 2017
Good morning,
Please I applied for PhD Management to two schools; University of Arkansas and University of Mississippi. My application is for fall next year. Is anyone presently in any of the stated unis or has any experience applying to any?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2017
happyday:

Congrats on your admissions and offer! I'm happy you made your decision already. That was one heck of a journey! Schools would overlook your lack of research experience, sometimes GPA, but it seems they're unforgiving about grad school prerequisites. I see you were willing to do anything at all to get into MechE!!

Which begs the question, why Mech Engr?? Especially coming from PetE.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot boss! You really inspired me. As at October when I wrote my GRE, I never had Mech Engr in mind, I wanted something closer to my current job: Engineering Management which is what I chose during my GRE. I after my GRE, I got discouraged with d course and made up my mind to go for Mech Engr after some pieces of advice from friends. Also, after reading DrHopeful profile on how she switched from Pet Engr to Materials Engr, I knew I could achieve my dreams of getting into a masters program in Mech Engr. Every single person here has been a source of motivation in one way or d other.

Your post especially, concerning my case then further pushed me to make more research on what I really wanted. That was when I had to start checking so many stuffs online and eventually wrote my SOP. It took me a while and that was why I submitted most of my applications not too early enough (Dec) even though I wrote my GRE in Oct.
I'm really grateful to my boss cutemorgan who really took his time amidst his busy schedule to fine tune my SOP. We analysed each paragraph of d SOP together .....he actually took the SOP as his cool, he's such a great man!

Then, why I eventually went for Mech Engr even though I did Pet Engr in my UG is because I feel that d era of petroleum is gradually phasing out and also d fact that Pet considers mainly the non-renewable energy sources (ie, crude oil n natural gas) which makes it more streamlined . I still have interest in energy though, and that was why I applied to schools with options in renewable energy systems in their Msc MechEngr. I know it's gonna be a tough one doing mech engr without mech engr in my UG, but I believe with God and with the motivations of the wonderful peeps here, I will scale through.

Surprisingly, TAMUK actually found me deficient in 9 credit hours of MechEngr UG courses and still gave me their scholarship and out-of-state tuition waiver.. ....it can only be God. I'm so grateful to HIM.

Thanks again to all of your here for being a source of motivation for me. I hope to meet some of you someday. See you at d top. cool

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:23am On Jun 19, 2017
tolutweety:

All the best, Seeker88.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks a lot man. You have been of great help too.. ...it's unfortunate I haven't heard from your school even when they promised automatic departmental assistantship upon acceptance to their Msc Mech Engr . It's well oo cool
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 11:48am On Jun 19, 2017
seeker88:

Thanks a lot boss! You really inspired me. As at October when I wrote my GRE, I never had Mech Engr in mind, I wanted something closer to my current job: Engineering Management which is what I chose during my GRE. I after my GRE, I got discouraged with d course and made up my mind to go for Mech Engr after some pieces of advice from friends. Also, after reading DrHopeful profile on how she switched from Pet Engr to Materials Engr, I knew I could achieve my dreams of getting into a masters program in Mech Engr. Every single person here has been a source of motivation in one way or d other.

Your post especially, concerning my case then further pushed me to make more research on what I really wanted. That was when I had to start checking so many stuffs online and eventually wrote my SOP. It took me a while and that was why I submitted most of my applications not too early enough (Dec) even though I wrote my GRE in Oct.
I'm really grateful to my boss cutemorgan who really took his time amidst his busy schedule to fine tune my SOP. We analysed each paragraph of d SOP together .....he actually took the SOP as his cool, he's such a great man!

Then, why I eventually went for Mech Engr even though I did Pet Engr in my UG is because I feel that d era of petroleum is gradually phasing out and also d fact that Pet considers mainly the non-renewable energy sources (ie, crude oil n natural gas) which makes it more streamlined . I still have interest in energy though, and that was why I applied to schools with options in renewable energy systems in their Msc MechEngr. I know it's gonna be a tough one doing mech engr without mech engr in my UG, but I believe with God and with the motivations of the wonderful peeps here, I will scale through.

Surprisingly, TAMUK actually found me deficient in 9 credit hours of MechEngr UG courses and still gave me their scholarship and out-of-state tuition waiver.. ....it can only be God. I'm so grateful to HIM.

Thanks again to all of your here for being a source of motivation for me. I hope to meet some of you someday. See you at d top. cool

Legend of the seeker! grin. Congratulations bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:10pm On Jun 19, 2017
seeker88:

Great, that makes a lot of sense! God bless your new journey. Amen.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 1:00pm On Jun 19, 2017
Time2smile, I am really happy for you bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 1:06pm On Jun 19, 2017
Good afternoon everyone, I am a US school seeker, I registered for GRE, but unfortunately I couldn't make it on my test date, so I was automatically disqualified from writing the GRE test, now I am planning to re register, but am having problem with course to even applied for because I am very confused. Right now, I am doing my MSC, so I am hoping to apply for a PHD. As I don't currently like my course of study, I am hoping I could change department, but the issue of doing a STEM course hopped in. Write now, as always I am depressed, because I don't know where to start from. My main problem I guess is what course to apply for, what is the probability of staying in the US after the course. I need a course I will be happy doing and as well a course with future prospect, I have googled and googled, and reading GRE together with MSC is as well challenging, I have tried to look for someone in my shoe for motivation but haven't found any
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 2:48pm On Jun 19, 2017
sheeda995:
Good afternoon everyone, I am a US school seeker, I registered for GRE, but unfortunately I couldn't make it on my test date, so I was automatically disqualified from writing the GRE test, now I am planning to re register, but am having problem with course to even applied for because I am very confused. Right now, I am doing my MSC, so I am hoping to apply for a PHD. As I don't currently like my course of study, I am hoping I could change department, but the issue of doing a STEM course hopped in. Write now, as always I am depressed, because I don't know where to start from. My main problem I guess is what course to apply for, what is the probability of staying in the US after the course. I need a course I will be happy doing and as well a course with future prospect, I have googled and googled, and reading GRE together with MSC is as well challenging, I have tried to look for someone in my shoe for motivation but haven't found any
It is a long process so please you don't need to be depressed, You would need all the energy you can muster for the journey ahead.

Let start with this:
What did you study in your undergraduate and what was your GPA?
What are you studying in MSc?
Which course would you rather be studying?
I think the answers to these questions would inform the way you are going to proceed.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sheeda995(f): 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2017
Time2Smile:

It is a long process so please you don't need to be depressed, You would need all the energy you can muster for the journey ahead.

Let start with this:
What did you study in your undergraduate and what was your GPA?
What are you studying in MSc?
Which course would you rather be studying?
I think the answers to these questions would inform the way you are going to proceed.

Undergraduate: Health Science Edu
GPA: 4.49
MSC: School & community Health Edu
what course would I be rather studying: Public health
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:20pm On Jun 19, 2017
sheeda995:

One thing at a time.

Leave the GRE for now. Pick a course you want for your PhD. YOU know what you like. No rush, it might take you a week, may be more. Keep searching. Focus.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 5:05pm On Jun 19, 2017
Hey! Why are you depressed? Do you need someone to talk to
You've got a good profile and I see no reason why you shouldn't get a full ride for a PhD.
sheeda995:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 7:01pm On Jun 19, 2017
Hey Time2smile. Congratulations on your admission and funding. May God bless ur new journey.
noticed someone posted same offer from UTD similar to yours on GradCafe...abi na u? lol
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Fatezee(f): 7:15pm On Jun 19, 2017
Hi guys, Pls am I allowed to take in calculator during GRE exam??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:30pm On Jun 19, 2017
Good day Mr. Seeker. First and foremost, congratulations on your admits. Your journey is an inspiring one. Thanks for sharing with we prospective applicants. You really applied to 11 schools? Wow. That's a lot of money spent on application fees et al which some of us may not have the luxury of. A major dilema we (prospective applicants) face is selecting schools where the prspect of admission and funding is nearly certain. Although most of the research is done by the applicant themselves, stuff like what you have just done goes a long way in aiding that process. This is kind of what @RexChaeng was campaigning for some pages back. I really hope some others here take a cue from you. Infact, i hope to do same once I have been admitted.

Looking at your profile, two things caught my attention and that is your change in majors and your GRE score is not so stellar. Yet, you shot at schools like TAMU College Station and Georgia Tech for which you were waitlisted even though the admission didn't eventually come. I admire your intrepidity. People on this Nairaland rarely apply to these top schools. Maybe only a few do. I understand that most of us apply to schools within the reach of their profile to avoid stories that touch but seeing that GeorgiaTech on that your list has sort of reinvigorated my ginger. Lol. Nigerians get admitted to these schools afterall. Maybe they just arent on Nairaland to share their stories/profiles.

Thanks once again. Goodluck in all your endeavors.

seeker88:
Hello Family, it's been a journey.. .

This is an update from me. Just wanna give a recap of my graduate school application journey so far. A prospective applicant may pick something from this.

I applied to as many schools as I could, not because I was confused but because I earnestly wanted funding as graduate study in d US would be impossible for me without any sort of funding. Also, as my intention was to switch from Petroleum Engineering to Mechanical Engineering, I needed to reach out to as many schools as I could afford.
So I finally applied to 11 schools, got 5 admits, 5 rejections and 1 pending. Find below the decision from each of the schools:

Rejects :
1. Texas A&M University College Station (no reason)
2. Georgia Tech (Waitlisted and eventually rejected)
3. Louisiana State University (no reason)
4. Wichita State University (reason was that I didn't have enough prerequisite courses to get a slot in their MSc Mechanical Engineering Program). Meanwhile, I counted this school as a safe school.
5. Ohio University (same reason as Wichita State)

Admits
1. Texas A&M University Kingsville
2. Florida A&M University/Florida State University
3. Wright State University
4. University of Louisiana Lafayette
5. South Dakota State University

Pending
1. University of Arkansas

In all, I didn't get FULL funding from any of the admits as really desired. However, the offer from TAMUK became my best choice.

Then the schools that lured me into applying with their application fee waiver all rejected my application. They include Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst and Wayne State Uni. I didn't loose out though cos I didn't spend a dime applying to them.

Application Profile
*Bachelor: Petroleum Engineering
*UG CGPA: 4.23 (3.57 by WES evaluation)
*GRE: 154Q, 151V, 4.0
*TOEFL : 91
*2 academic recommendations and 1 professional recommendation.
*3+ years work experience (not in closely related field)
*No research experience
*All applications was for MSc Mechanical Engineering

My Observation
*Apply as early as you can. If possible, submit ur applications before d priority deadline. In my own case, I submitted almost all my applications in Dec '16, but d major challenge was getting my recommenders to have their recommendation submitted, especially the academic ones. Some recommendations were received as late as 3months after application submission. So it's necessary to ascertain the availability of your recommenders before using them.
*You can't be very sure of your "safe schools", so spread your tentacles and apply to as many schools especially the ones that require all materials to be uploaded online with your application. You never can tell which would come through.

Choi, I don talk too much already....
I wish everyone all d best. Cheers!

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:33pm On Jun 19, 2017
Fatezee:
Hi guys, Pls am I allowed to take in calculator during GRE exam??

No you aren't. You make use of an on screen calculator. Start getting used to solving math questions without calculators. It would really help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Fatezee(f): 7:53pm On Jun 19, 2017
MasterforceII:

No you aren't. You make use of an on screen calculator. Start getting used to solving math questions without calculators. It would really help.

Thanks for the info.. I Just started studying for it n wanted to be sure.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 8:02pm On Jun 19, 2017
Okay. Cool. When do you plan to write and what texts are you using?

Fatezee:

Thanks for the info.. I Just started studying for it n wanted to be sure.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Fatezee(f): 8:29pm On Jun 19, 2017
MasterforceII:
Okay. Cool. When do you plan to write and what texts are you using?

I plan writing by August or Sept.

Using GRE math bible and Gruber complete GRE Guide
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ayopaul84(m): 9:31pm On Jun 19, 2017
Congratulations to those who have been given admission.

Please i am planning for Fall 2018. I need your advice pls. Esp @Time2Smile and the host of others.

My profile is as below:

Intending course of study: Cellular/Molecular Biology and Genetics (PhD)
Degrees obtained already: MSc, BSc (Biochemistry)
BSc GPA: 4.50
MSc GPA: 4.35 (messed up)
GRE and TOEFL: In view
(Preparation on going)
Experience: About 2 years as a Graduate Assistant (would most likely be an Assistant Lecturer before submitting my application.

The following are the schools I came up with after surfing the net.

Michigan State University
University of Delaware
University of Kentucky
Wayne State University
University of Texas, Dallas
Middle Tennessee State University (in no particular order of preference).

My enquiries:
1.Pls the gurus in the house should help me peruse the above list and give a sincere critique vis a vis my profile.

2. I need suggestions on SAFE schools for my profile (esp. schools that allow upload of unofficial transcript).

3. Anyone on the thread with a similar ambition or had a similar ambition and went through (currently running PhD program) should pls indicate for a personal chat including Mr Time2Smile.

Thanks and God bless you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 9:54pm On Jun 19, 2017
sheeda995:

That is a stellar GPA.
OK since Public health is your passion why didn't you study it in your MSc? I believe Master in Public health admission is broad and take students from different undergraduate courses( at least UI MPH). With your background in Health Science you should be able to find schools that would give you admission into Public health PhD program.

This is where you master degree comes in, Do not treat as an afterthought,. Admission committees know how to spot exceptional student, So the higher your MSc GPA the better. It would be useful if you can also garner some research experience during your MSc.

I believe there are schools out there, A Google query such as "PhD public health in US University" should give useful results. On the other hand, if you have specific school in mind you can search for example "John Hopkins University PhD Public health"

Let us know what you think.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:01pm On Jun 19, 2017
ayopaul84:

Please i am planning for Fall 2018. I need your advice pls. Esp @Time2Smile and the host of others.

My profile is as below:

(Preparation on going)
Experience: About 2 years as a Graduate Assistant (would most likely be an Assistant Lecturer before submitting my application.

University of Delaware
University of Kentucky
Wayne State University

My enquiries:
1.Pls the gurus in the house should help me peruse the above list and give a sincere critique vis a vis my profile.

2. I need suggestions on SAFE schools for my profile (esp. schools that allow upload of unofficial transcript).

3. Anyone on the thread with a similar ambition or had a similar ambition and went through (currently running PhD program) should pls indicate for a personal chat including Mr Time2Smile.

I would reply your Pm but I want to post it here for the benefit of everyone ; One of the things I learnt during this application season is importance of research experience for Phd admission in life sciences and recommendation letters from your research supervisors.

So I would ask you; Any publication.? What about current research activities?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ayopaul84(m): 10:23pm On Jun 19, 2017
Time2Smile:

I would reply your Pm but I want to post it here for the benefit of everyone ; One of the things I learnt during this application season is importance of research experience for Phd admission in life sciences and recommendation letters from your research supervisors.

So I would ask you; Any publication.? What about current research activities?

Ok thanks....

Publication? Not yet.... Working on publishing my Masters research works, but might not get it published before applying.
Have a little research experience in animal cell culture, DNA 'works'; using electrophoresis thermocycler (pcr), (actually worked on gene expression modulation) etc, also a did w little work on toxicology, microbial works, genotoxicity, etc... But no publication yet.

Current research? Will be assisting my supervisor in supervising his students soonest (latest by next month) so definitely will have a number of works on my fingers.

will be expecting your DM.... i DM u already..

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:51pm On Jun 19, 2017
ayopaul84:

My profile is as below:

(Preparation on going)

University of Delaware
University of Kentucky
Wayne State University

My enquiries:

Depending on your GRE score (above 320 and 4.5 Awa will do) and TOEFL (above 100 with at least 24 in speaking), dare I say you can be a bit ambitious by adding 2 top schools( like top 30) to the excellent list you have up there- That is if application fee won't be a problem.
You should also look at Kansas state University.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:28pm On Jun 19, 2017
MasterforceII:
Good day Mr. Seeker. First and foremost, congratulations on your admits. Your journey is an inspiring one. Thanks for sharing with we prospective applicants. You really applied to 11 schools? Wow. That's a lot of money spent on application fees et al which some of us may not have the luxury of. A major dilema we (prospective applicants) face is selecting schools where the prspect of admission and funding is nearly certain. .Although most of the research is done by the applicant themselves, stuff like what you have just done goes a long way in aiding that process. This is kind of what @RexChaeng was campaigning for some pages back. I really hope some others here take a cue from you. Infact, i hope to do same once I have been admitted.

Looking at your profile, two things caught my attention and that is your change in majors and your GRE score is not so stellar. Yet, you shot at schools like TAMU College Station and Georgia Tech for which you were waitlisted even though the admission didn't eventually come. I admire your intrepidity. People on this Nairaland rarely apply to these top schools. Maybe only a few do. I understand that most of us apply to schools within the reach of their profile to avoid stories that touch but seeing that GeorgiaTech on that your list has sort of reinvigorated my ginger. Lol. Nigerians get admitted to these schools afterall. Maybe they just arent on Nairaland to share their stories/profiles.

Thanks once again. Goodluck in all your endeavors.

Thanks a lot. I'm glad u got inspired by this experience shared.

Yes, I applied to 11 schools. For most of the schools, I paid just d application fee and didn't need to send official transcript or test scores for my application to be evaluated . Also, I applied to schools with low application fee in d range of $30-$55 in order to reachmore schools. However, app fee was high for TAMU, Georgia Tech and LSU, it was $90, $75, and $70 respectively. So you may not necessarily spend on sending transcript and test scores to each school u applied to for your application to be evaluated. It totally depends on your choice of school though.

I don't know about schools where u can be very sure of getting funded. Funding situation in schools changes from time to time. Even some schools that you may see a s a safe school may end up rejecting your application. So u can't be very certain of anything. Nevertheless, you may use usnews.com to check the research grants to some schools, d higher the research grant, d more likely they are to release funding to students.

Yes, despite my low scores, I still gave Tamu and Gatech application a shot. However, if your profile isn't competitive like mine, do this only if u have some cash to spare and have applied to some safe schools though. I thought of retaking d test to improve on my scores for better funding opportunities but there was no time as I needed to meet up with fall '17.

People here have applied to top schools like PennState Uni, UCBerkely, UT Austin and the likes and got in, they are just very few though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:43am On Jun 20, 2017
seeker88:

Thanks a lot. I'm glad u got inspired by this experience shared.

Yes, I applied to 11 schools. For most of the schools, I paid just d application fee and didn't need to send official transcript or test scores for my application to be evaluated . Also, I applied to schools with low application fee in d range of $30-$55 in order to reachmore schools. However, app fee was high for TAMU, Georgia Tech and LSU, it was $90, $75, and $70 respectively. So you may not necessarily spend on sending transcript and test scores to each school u applied to for your application to be evaluated. It totally depends on your choice of school though.

I don't know about schools where u can be very sure of getting funded. Funding situation in schools changes from time to time. Even some schools that you may see a s a safe school may end up rejecting your application. So u can't be very certain of anything. Nevertheless, you may use usnews.com to check the research grants to some schools, d higher the research grant, d more likely they are to release funding to students.

Yes, despite my low scores, I still gave Tamu and Gatech application a shot. However, if your profile isn't competitive like mine, do this only if u have some cash to spare and have applied to some safe schools though. I thought of retaking d test to improve on my scores for better funding opportunities but there was no time as I needed to meet up with fall '17.

People here have applied to top schools like PennState Uni, UCBerkely, UT Austin and the likes and got in, they are just very few though.

Please what was ur gre score?

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.