Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,208 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1353154 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 9:58am On Jun 17, 2017
tescoman90:

scholastica is in hibernation mode RIGHT NOW grin
And when he comes back!.........Trust me it's a GOOD NEWS grin
We are all waiting for that. Are you in touch with him offline ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ElDeeVee(m): 10:14am On Jun 17, 2017
Time2Smile:
I guess that is it from me for this application season.

I have been accepted to the Molecular and Cell Biology PhD program of The University of Texas at Dallas with a Graduate Tuition Scholarship that covers all tuition and fees. In addition, I will receive a very generous stipend through Graduate Teaching Assistantship.

I only contacted the Graduate coordinator on April 14 and submitted my application on May 1st when the schools were trying to play cello with my future.

I appreciate everyone that has been asking after my application status. It has been arduous, but the difficulty pales in comparison to the sweet taste of success. For those still expecting a decision, don't lose hope. #TeamFall2017 Yes we can.

Congrats!! It's indeed time to smile for hopefuls.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by guruvillage: 10:49am On Jun 17, 2017
Statistical Analysis and Data Mining,
Qualitative & Quantitative Research
Training & Research Advisory (Thesis Structure, Dissertation and Research Publication)

Redfox Analytics-- redefining & standardizing the world of modeling, analytics and research with the use of solution engines: SAS, SPSS, Eviews, STATA, Python, R and Excel.
Statistical and Survey Analysis
Biostatistics (Medical Statistics)
Econometrics & Quantitative Risk*
Data Analytics Support*
Commodities Trading & Modeling*
MBA Research guide*
Financial Markets*

redfoxanalytics@yahoo.com
https://redfox3891./

Why me? I have more than 7years+ distinctive experience in data analytics, research methodologies, econometrics and statistical methods.

Landmark? I am a Master's Degree holder in Quantitative Economics. An expert in the application of STATA, SAS, IBM SPSS, Python,Eviews and Excel in providing solutions.

All supported by extensive skills in data modeling, statistical evaluation and monitoring with international organisations, hypothesis testing, time series and multivariate analysis, descriptive analytics, regression (linear, step-wise and back-ward), correlation and covariance matrix analysis and charting.

Regards,
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 17, 2017
guruvillage:
Statistical Analysis and Data Mining,
Qualitative & Quantitative Research
Training & Research Advisory (Thesis Structure, Dissertation and Research Publication)

Redfox Analytics-- redefining & standardizing the world of modeling, analytics and research with the use of solution engines: SAS, SPSS, Eviews, STATA, Python, R and Excel.
Statistical and Survey Analysis
Biostatistics (Medical Statistics)
Econometrics & Quantitative Risk*
Data Analytics Support*
Commodities Trading & Modeling*
MBA Research guide*
Financial Markets*

redfoxanalytics@yahoo.com
https://redfox3891./

Why me? I have more than 7years+ distinctive experience in data analytics, research methodologies, econometrics and statistical methods.

Landmark? I am a Master's Degree holder in Quantitative Economics. An expert in the application of STATA, SAS, IBM SPSS, Python,Eviews and Excel in providing solutions.

All supported by extensive skills in data modeling, statistical evaluation and monitoring with international organisations, hypothesis testing, time series and multivariate analysis, descriptive analytics, regression (linear, step-wise and back-ward), correlation and covariance matrix analysis and charting.

Regards,

PEOPLE DEY CELEBRATE AND YOU DEY ADVERTISE. grin

WITH YOUR 7 YEARS EXPERIENCE,............. YOUR STILL LACK PROPER TIMING! grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kaydp: 11:41am On Jun 17, 2017
Time2Smile:
I guess that is it from me for this application season.

I have been accepted to the Molecular and Cell Biology PhD program of The University of Texas at Dallas with a Graduate Tuition Scholarship that covers all tuition and fees. In addition, I will receive a very generous stipend through Graduate Teaching Assistantship.

I only contacted the Graduate coordinator on April 14 and submitted my application on May 1st when the schools were trying to play cello with my future.

I appreciate everyone that has been asking after my application status. It has been arduous, but the difficulty pales in comparison to the sweet taste of success. For those still expecting a decision, don't lose hope. #TeamFall2017 Yes we can.
Wow! Congrats bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glocal1: 3:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ndawe:

Update: Also full funding has come in from Tennessee Tech and I have the luxury of making a choice now. For those still awaiting decisions, please do not give up just yet; that's why I'm providing these updates. Delay is not denial. I wish us all the best
Congrats sister.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
seeker88:

Congrats dear....I'm convinced you will get good funding from Tennessee Tech and/or Mississippi State Uni. Na just one juicy offer we need grin

Congrats Ndawe....may God bless your journey cool
I knew it would end this way........don't call me a prophet sha grin grin

Now, I look forward to reading from scholastica and others who are still waiting.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hello Family, it's been a journey.. .

This is an update from me. Just wanna give a recap of my graduate school application journey so far. A prospective applicant may pick something from this.

I applied to as many schools as I could, not because I was confused but because I earnestly wanted funding as graduate study in d US would be impossible for me without any sort of funding. Also, as my intention was to switch from Petroleum Engineering to Mechanical Engineering, I needed to reach out to as many schools as I could afford.
So I finally applied to 11 schools, got 5 admits, 5 rejections and 1 pending. Find below the decision from each of the schools:

Rejects :
1. Texas A&M University College Station (no reason)
2. Georgia Tech (Waitlisted and eventually rejected)
3. Louisiana State University (no reason)
4. Wichita State University (reason was that I didn't have enough prerequisite courses to get a slot in their MSc Mechanical Engineering Program). Meanwhile, I counted this school as a safe school.
5. Ohio University (same reason as Wichita State)

Admits
1. Texas A&M University Kingsville
2. Florida A&M University/Florida State University
3. Wright State University
4. University of Louisiana Lafayette
5. South Dakota State University

Pending
1. University of Arkansas

In all, I didn't get FULL funding from any of the admits as really desired. However, the offer from TAMUK became my best choice.

Then the schools that lured me into applying with their application fee waiver all rejected my application. They include Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst and Wayne State Uni. I didn't loose out though cos I didn't spend a dime applying to them.

Application Profile
*Bachelor: Petroleum Engineering
*UG CGPA: 4.23 (3.57 by WES evaluation)
*GRE: 154Q, 151V, 4.0
*TOEFL : 91
*2 academic recommendations and 1 professional recommendation.
*3+ years work experience (not in closely related field)
*No research experience
*All applications was for MSc Mechanical Engineering

My Observation
*Apply as early as you can. If possible, submit ur applications before d priority deadline. In my own case, I submitted almost all my applications in Dec '16, but d major challenge was getting my recommenders to have their recommendation submitted, especially the academic ones. Some recommendations were received as late as 3months after application submission. So it's necessary to ascertain the availability of your recommenders before using them.
*You can't be very sure of your "safe schools", so spread your tentacles and apply to as many schools especially the ones that require all materials to be uploaded online with your application. You never can tell which would come through.

Choi, I don talk too much already....
I wish everyone all d best. Cheers!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:07am On Jun 18, 2017
seeker congrats on your offer(s).
Thank you for this comprehensive report on your journey.
You have done well for prospective applicants who are the aim of the group
in the first place. Good luck in your endeavors.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toakins: 12:27am On Jun 18, 2017
@Time2smile, I have been waiting patiently for your good news. Thank God! Congrats bro!!!
@Ndawe and @seeker,Congratulations!!! God bless your new journey.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 3:53am On Jun 18, 2017
Congratulations seeker88. I'm so happy to hear this good news from you and Time2smile.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 4:48am On Jun 18, 2017
seeker88:

This is an update from me. Just wanna give a recap of my graduate school application journey so far. A prospective applicant may pick something from this.

I applied to as many schools as I could, not because I was confused but because I earnestly wanted funding as graduate study in d US would be impossible for me without any sort of funding. Also, as my intention was to switch from Petroleum Engineering to Mechanical Engineering, I needed to reach out to as many schools as I could afford.
So I finally applied to 11 schools, got 5 admits, 5 rejections and 1 pending. Find below the decision from each of the schools:

Rejects :
1. Texas A&M University College Station (no reason)
2. Georgia Tech (Waitlisted and eventually rejected)
3. Louisiana State University (no reason)
4. Wichita State University (reason was that I didn't have enough prerequisite courses to get a slot in their MSc Mechanical Engineering Program). Meanwhile, I counted this school as a safe school.
5. Ohio University (same reason as Wichita State)

Admits
1. Texas A&M University Kingsville
2. Florida A&M University/Florida State University
3. Wright State University
4. University of Louisiana Lafayette
5. South Dakota State University

Pending
1. University of Arkansas

In all, I didn't get FULL funding from any of the admits as really desired. However, the offer from TAMUK became my best choice.

Then the schools that lured me into applying with their application fee waiver all rejected my application. They include Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst and Wayne State Uni. I didn't loose out though cos I didn't spend a dime applying to them.

Application Profile
*Bachelor: Petroleum Engineering
*UG CGPA: 4.23 (3.57 by WES evaluation)
*GRE: 154Q, 151V, 4.0
*TOEFL : 91
*2 academic recommendations and 1 professional recommendation.
*3+ years work experience (not in closely related field)
*No research experience
*All applications was for MSc Mechanical Engineering

My Observation
*Apply as early as you can. If possible, submit ur applications before d priority deadline. In my own case, I submitted almost all my applications in Dec '16, but d major challenge was getting my recommenders to have their recommendation submitted, especially the academic ones. Some recommendations were received as late as 3months after application submission. So it's necessary to ascertain the availability of your recommenders before using them.
*You can't be very sure of your "safe schools", so spread your tentacles and apply to as many schools especially the ones that require all materials to be uploaded online with your application. You never can tell which would come through.

Choi, I don talk too much already....

wow! this is just incredible! May God bless your huzzle bro...so, that means u sent additional GRE and Toefl score to 5 schools?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:01am On Jun 18, 2017
[quote author=Johnsilva post=57569568]Hello Sir,
Please can you add me to the group as I will be taken the text in 5days time.

Thank

[/quote
Kindly send the invite link to me adebiyitm@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:51am On Jun 18, 2017
I am really smitten by everyone's good wishes, Thank you all. I have a lot to share which I would do in due time. Congratulations to seeker88 and Ndawe.

Ndawe's story is particularly sweet, I think she came here initially looking to rewrite the GRE, now she has 2 funded offers using her previous scores. It shows the power of information and threads like this.(Shout out to Oludare01). I hope we all continue contributing.

I just hope Scholastica16 would post his success story soon, we started this together and the thread is better with with him on board.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 9:07am On Jun 18, 2017
Ndawe:

Update: Also full funding has come in from Tennessee Tech and I have the luxury of making a choice now. For those still awaiting decisions, please do not give up just yet; that's why I'm providing these updates. Delay is not denial. I wish us all the best

Ndawe, congratulations on the feats God has helped you to accomplish. I am looking forward to putting in my applications for fall 2018 PhD program in chemistry. I have a masters degree in analytical chemistry from university of Ibadan with a WES GPA of 3.51. I'd be writing GRE and TOEFL by September. I'd like to chat with you on Whatsapp with regards to your Chemistry application processes. Please send me a message.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 10:03am On Jun 18, 2017
dmajor1:

Ndawe, congratulations on the feats God has helped you to accomplish. I am looking forward to putting in my applications for fall 2018 PhD program in chemistry. I have a masters degree in analytical chemistry from university of Ibadan with a WES GPA of 3.51. I'd be writing GRE and TOEFL by September. I'd like to chat with you on Whatsapp (08164228003) with regards to your Chemistry application processes. Please send me a message.
What year did you finish your MSc?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 10:31am On Jun 18, 2017
OluDare01:

What year did you finish your MSc?

October 2016.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 1:40pm On Jun 18, 2017
Hello, guys. Nice thread. I have a question... How feasible is an MS in Epidemiology, with a first degree in Biology (BTech)?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2017
Congrats bro.

I had personally thought that you were in the US for for your grad studies due to the soundness of your contributions on this thread. Welldone once again!

Please I need some enlightenment in the areas below:

How did you get your references to send in their recommendations to 11 schools?

If an applicant that is aiming for fall of 2018 sends in all his applications by Dec 2107, could that be termed 'early enough'?

How did you go about sending your official transcripts to those schools, was it sent from your school ends or you uploaded e- copies from your ends?

Thanks

seeker88:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:01pm On Jun 18, 2017
sirRiddy:
seeker congrats on your offer(s).
Thank you for this comprehensive report on your journey.
You have done well for prospective applicants who are the aim of the group
in the first place. Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks boss....just following your footsteps ni. I can't over-emphasize the insights your posts here have provided to me. It's my little way of giving back to this special thread cool

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:04pm On Jun 18, 2017
Oludare01 and Toakins. Thank you very much my Ogas.
You have also been a source of inspiration to me on this journey.. ...thank you too smiley

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 4:08pm On Jun 18, 2017
dmajor1:

October 2016.
You know Adesuyi Emmanuel?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:17pm On Jun 18, 2017
ridsan4real:

wow! this is just incredible! May God bless your huzzle bro...so, that means u sent additional GRE and Toefl score to 5 schools?
Funny enough, I never applied to any of the 4 schools I sent my scores to on GRE test day. This was because I had a different course in mind when I wrote my test but changed to something more preferable after d test.....(thanks to happyday and other gurus here for their pieces of advice). However, some of the schools I applied to just required an uploaded copy of these tests for application evaluation, so I didn't have to send my test scores to all the schools before getting the admission decisions.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:23pm On Jun 18, 2017
Time2Smile:
I am really smitten by everyone's good wishes, Thank you all. I have a lot to share which I would do in due time. Congratulations to seeker88 and Ndawe.

Ndawe's story is particularly sweet, I think she came here initially looking to rewrite the GRE, now she has 2 funded offers using her previous scores. It shows the power of information and threads like this.(Shout out to Oludare01). I hope we all continue contributing.

I just hope Scholastica16 would post his success story soon, we started this together and the thread is better with with him on board.
Thanks baba, we look forward to learning from your own experience.
@bolded, I hope so too. May God bless his hustle.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2017
seeker88:

Funny enough, I never applied to any of the 4 schools I sent my scores to on GRE test day. This was because I had a different course in mind when I wrote my test but changed to something more preferable after d test.....(thanks to happyday and other gurus here for their pieces of advice). However, some of the schools I applied to just required an uploaded copy of these tests for application evaluation, so I didn't have to send my test scores to all the schools before getting the admission decisions.
oh! I never knew. I'm seeing it for the first time that some schools require uploaded copy of score test. see d power of mailing grad cord!
that's great bro. All d best!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2017
aamstih:
Congrats bro.

I had personally thought that you were in the US for for your grad studies due to the soundness of your contributions on this thread. Welldone once again!

Please I need some enlightenment in the areas below:

How did you get your references to send in their recommendations to 11 schools?

If an applicant that is aiming for fall of 2018 sends in all his applications by Dec 2107, could that be termed 'early enough'?

How did you go about sending your official transcripts to those schools, was it sent from your school ends or you uploaded e- copies from your ends?

Thanks

Thanks bro.. .

I didn't send recommendation letter to all d 11 schools as few of them didn't require recommendations, eg, Wayne State Uni and Wright State Uni.

Getting my referees to send their recommendation was the biggest challenge for me especially the academic ones. One of the academic referees was my project supervisor then in school, so we had a good rapport to the extent that we even chat on BBM till date. Despite that, he couldn't submit most of his recommendations early enough cos he was always busy with work n travels ...for example, he submitted his recommendation for my Georgia Tech and TAMU application in early March even though I completed these applications in Dec. So in all I just had to be patience with them while sending gentle reminder at intervals.

To d second question, yes, Dec is still early enough. For most good schools, their priority deadline is usually from Dec 15 to Jan 15 and that's best time to apply if you aim for funding....my advice is: "submit your application before the priority deadline if you have all the application materials ready, that would give u enough time to follow up with ur referees for their final recommendation submissions".

Finally, for majority of the schools, I uploaded the student copy of my transcript. Then for the school that required evaluated Transcript (eg, South Dakota State University) , I sent a copy from WES. It was only in LSU application that I ordered for a copy of my transcript directly from my UG school since they don't accept transcript from evaluation agency. The transcript took forever to get to d school. .....#NaijaSystem#

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 4:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
Many Thanks for taking out time to explain this.

seeker88:

Thanks bro.. .

I didn't send recommendation letter to all d 11 schools as few of them didn't require recommendations, eg, Wayne State Uni and Wright State Uni.

Getting my referees to send their recommendation was the biggest challenge for me especially the academic ones. One of the academic referees was my project supervisor then in school, so we had a good rapport to the extent that we even chat on BBM till date. Despite that, he couldn't submit most of his recommendations early enough cos he was always busy with work n travels ...for example, he submitted his recommendation for my Georgia Tech and TAMU application in early March even though I completed these applications in Dec. So in all I just had to be patience with them while sending gentle reminder at intervals.

To d second question, yes, Dec is still early enough. For most good schools, their priority deadline is usually from Dec 15 to Jan 15 and that's best time to apply if you aim for funding....my advice is: "submit your application before the priority deadline if you have all the application materials ready, that would give u enough time to follow up with ur referees for their final recommendation submissions".

Finally, for majority of the schools, I uploaded the student copy of my transcript. Then for the school that required evaluated Transcript (eg, South Dakota State University) , I sent a copy from WES. It was only in LSU application that I ordered for a copy of my transcript directly from my UG school since they don't accept transcript from evaluation agency. The transcript took forever to get to d school. .....#NaijaSystem#
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 5:32pm On Jun 18, 2017
seeker88:

Thanks a lot for this; indeed a prospective applicant has picked up something.
Congratulations!

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 7:28pm On Jun 18, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

Thanks a lot for this; indeed a prospective applicant has picked up something.
Congratulations!
Thanks bro.. ..all d best to u too.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2017
OluDare01:

You know Adesuyi Emmanuel?

Yes I do. We shared the same room and reading platform several times.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 8:47pm On Jun 18, 2017
seeker88:

Congrats on your admissions and offer! I'm happy you made your decision already. That was one heck of a journey! Schools would overlook your lack of research experience, sometimes GPA, but it seems they're unforgiving about grad school prerequisites. I see you were willing to do anything at all to get into MechE!!

Which begs the question, why Mech Engr?? Especially coming from PetE.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 9:32pm On Jun 18, 2017
dmajor1:

Yes I do. We shared the same room and reading platform several times.
Really? He is my brother o. We were roommates when I was in 100L. I graduated from chemistry UI in 2013/14 session. You can send me a pm if you need any help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.