Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (261) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351011 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 8:23pm On Jul 25, 2017
Scholastica16:

Amen. Thanks man.

How is your end?

Got rejected by both UH and KSU... Obviously Fall17 is out of reach

Going back to the drawing board
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 8:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
tescoman90:
Anytime u guys state ur profile its either one engineering course or petrochemical course sad angry
Abeg who they apply for any biology related course?

I tired ooo
We dey here, bro! No mind them. They can't cow us into quiescence ...lolz
Looking at Parasitology and Pathogen Biology (MS), or anything around that. I might be running short of US school options, though; very few offer related courses

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bagger293: 9:03pm On Jul 25, 2017
Scholastica16:

Your profile is (VERY) good. I would only advice you wrote the GRE earlier than Oct (say September) just so you can put forward your applications in Oct or latest, the month after.

Early applications are given priority for admission and funding in many schools. Your WES will be above 3.7/4 by my rough estimation.

Also, your school choices are not bad but try to study admission results on grad cafe to see reports of people issued Direct PhDs with funding, date the admission was offered and in some ways profiles.

It will help in directing you to schools that would readily fund you and how early you would hear from them. For e.g, if I knew this tidbit when I was putting forward my applications, I would have known to expect a school like Mississippi State Uni to respond in July for engineering PhD applicants. They did exactly this 2016 and 2015....I am sure even 2012. The point is, they would not change their trend for you or anyone. Same goes WRT funding.

To that end, Auburn responded in April and funded almost all the reports on grad cafe. Their profiles were not better than what you have above. In fact, my friend that got into the Civil Engineering PhD fully funded had 4.55/5 GPA, 320 GRE 4 AWA and 99 TOEFL which you could easily mirror or eclipse.

So you may want to check when the schools you have above responded to applicants and how readily they funded them. You may also want to know if contacting POIs is more important than scoring 320+ in your GRE.
Good day bruv...having gone through this thread..I developed interest to write GRE and TOEFL...first of all..here is my profile ..
Graduate of Electrical Engineering (CGPA 4.22/5), I'm planning to write TOEFL and GRE, please which universities in Europe grant full time scholarships for Msc? Also, is it possible to secure a fully funded Phd in the US? If yes, which universities may I earn that opportunity?..Thank you very much in advance

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Toluak: 9:19pm On Jul 25, 2017
TooMuchSauce:

Sent man

Pls i also need the materials.send to tolulopeabodunrin27@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
Cephas0009:

Got rejected by both UH and KSU... Obviously Fall17 is out of reach

Going back to the drawing board

It is well.

So you would send as many potential advisors emails this time around. That is something I would consider if I am to retry.

If you can just get 1 person to respond, it will be easy like a Sunday morning.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 25, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

We dey here, bro! No mind them. They can't cow us into quiescence ...lolz
Looking at Parasitology and Pathogen Biology (MS), or anything around that. I might be running short of US school options, though; very few offer related courses
Thank God I found one cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
bagger293:
Good day bruv...having gone through this thread..I developed interest to write GRE and TOEFL...first of all..here is my profile ..
Graduate of Electrical Engineering (CGPA 4.22/5), I'm planning to write TOEFL and GRE, please which universities in Europe grant full time scholarships for Msc? Also, is it possible to secure a fully funded Phd in the US? If yes, which universities may I earn that opportunity?..Thank you very much in advance

Again, your GPA is good.

I don't know much about schools in Europe but I know most German MSc programs are tuition free. You might consider them.

Take note however, you would need to front €8000 for room and board for a year.

I know Finland has the same Tuition free regimen as well as Norway (?). Brother Amofum might enlighten you more on France and you might check the Netherlands Visa thread to research TUDelft as well.

As for your 2nd question, yes, it is possible to secure a fully-funded Direct PhD admission off the bat. It takes grace and serendipity.

For possible schools, you may need to do your own research but one tip that would help you is to check admission results on grad cafe in the last 4 or 5 months.

You want to be a researcher, so take your time to study reported schools and profiles. You can then send emails to grad coordinators to inquire more, or jump the gun and email potential advisors straight.

Someone on NL got fully-funded by Montana Tech/University of Montana for a PhD in EEE. You might start from there.

Good luck!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bagger293: 10:00pm On Jul 25, 2017
Scholastica16:

Again, your GPA is good.

I don't know much about schools in Europe but I know most German MSc programs are tuition free. You might consider them.

Take note however, you would need to front €8000 for room and board for a year.

I know Finland has the same Tuition free regimen as well as Norway (?). Brother Amofum might enlighten you more on France and you might check the Netherlands Visa thread to research TUDelft as well.

As for your 2nd question, yes, it is possible to secure a fully-funded Direct PhD admission off the bat. It takes grace and serendipity.

For possible schools, you may need to do your own research but one tip that would help you is to check admission results on grad cafe in the last 4 or 5 months.

You want to be a researcher, so take your time to study reported schools and profiles. You can then send emails to grad coordinators to inquire more, or jump the gun and email potential advisors straight.

Someone on NL got fully-funded by Montana Tech/University of Montana for a PhD in EEE. You might start from there.

Good luck!
Thank you very much brother...I have checked the universities in Finland but I haven't seen any scholarship opportunity which covers everything including living cost.The universities being tution free, one has to cater for his living and other costs, I've checked TU Delft too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OjaP: 11:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
Scholastica16:

Yes I am sir.

I vied for a chemical engineering PhD but the snag is, I did so without having an MSc already and my GPA is not in the >4.5 category. I don't know how much the latter matters but I guess already having an MSc helps those of us who got our first degrees from Nigerian schools.

It seems to be the trend.

Smart choice with Chemical Engineering. Have you checked Washington State Uni.? They have a strong Chemical Engineering program and funding. You can still get in with a BSc. I think timing and availability of funds matter a lot. Don't give up....keep pushing. Winners never quit.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 12:29am On Jul 26, 2017
Scholastica16:
As most know, I applied to 8 schools. Michigan State and Uni of Houston were my preferred destinations in that order and for obvious reasons: Michigan state was the highest rated of the schools I applied to whilst Uni of Houston posed (In my opinion) the best connections to the oil and gas industry based on its location and proximity to the oil Hub.

5 schools rejected me in this order: LSU, UNM, KSU (which reminds me, has Hirschfelder gotten his visa ?) UUtah, and then UH. UH came in April or May but I would hazard a guess and say mid April. It shook me to my bones especially because some Iranian with this profile (GRE 307 AWA 3.5, TOEFL 94, GPA 3.27/4, no publications) posted on grad cafe that he was accepted and fully funded for the same PhD program I opted for.

I tried to do a bit of research as to why most of my apps had fallen through but a few of the feedbacks I got centered on not finding an advisor or the acceptance process being more holistic than stats. (Absolute hogwash if you ask me) and I would say why.

So a friend of mine in Houston (MSc Chemical Engineering) told me his supervisor is Iranian and those who can count their teeth with their tongues know what I am trying to imply. I am not alone; someone ranted about UCBerkeley and pretty much said nothing thorough was done in selecting the PhDs for a particular program he applied for. So people are advised not to get disillusioned when some schools inexplicably reject their apps.

Anyways, moving on to something more positive. Michigan State accepted me on the 22nd of May but as I type this, they have proferred no word on funding. I had hoped to post here as soon as it was made available but I missed this thread and felt the need to keep you guys in the loop.

My final 2 schools- Mississippi State and USF have said nothing either. No reports on grad cafe as well and historically they respond in July i.e for my program (I figured it out when push came to shove).

Moving forward, I might (and it is a big might) consider a detour to the U.K. and then re-fire to the US with bigger schools in mind just to see if heaven will fall. Since I feel it is not financially expedient to use one's personal resources to go to the U.K., this my plan is hinged on securing a federal govt scholarship I applied and wrote for (PTDF). I am very optimistic about my chances because I am a man of the spirit + I wrote well.

Conversely, I could secure the same scholarship and stall till Spring- armed with the scholarship letter, I would apply to a top 15 program in the US for MSc seeing that I could secure it readily because of the letter. The trend in MSc acceptances gives credence to this plan but I am having fits about it because it negates my #TeamFall2017 Mantra.

God will direct my steps.

Thanks to Tescoman90 and a few others. He knows why I am thanking him.

Glad you're back man! Reading your post capped my day.
Nice plan You've got there. Still, while I believe your UK detour is a good move (efficient use of the 1 year wait), I still hope you get the funding package from MSU.

As for me, I've switched majors. I'm now interested in Industrial Engineering (operations research). I'm also considering an MSc in Nigeria to bolster my getting admitted/funded...
Once again, welcome! smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 3:55am On Jul 26, 2017
obuksjr:
Thanks man.
please can you send it to me too.. victoragboli@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:08am On Jul 26, 2017
Bro I badly use the feature on NL. U sent me a mail request which i sent back, forgive me bro. I can't send mail request 4rm mine end
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:13am On Jul 26, 2017
[' author=tescoman90 post=58626427]

Bro I badly use the feature on NL. U sent me a mail request which i sent back, forgive me bro. I can't send mail request 4rm mine ends end
bros i dey pm you and no reply sad[/quote]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:32am On Jul 26, 2017
Thanks for all the support and love from u guys most esp @ happyday. Got a pressing issue I need help with. I sent this to a mail to a Nigerian who lectures in a canadian university, I don't him only searched thru schl directory.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:39am On Jul 26, 2017
Am writing this with great excitement knowing you are a professional in my dream field of study, am highly interested in any graduate student position available in plant science. I studied plant physiology and crop production (plant breeding) from the University of Agriculture Abeokuta in Nigeria. My..... Been involved in this research work would afford me the opportunity to gain broad experience in plant physiology discipline beyond the designated research project. I worked on evaluation of four drought tolerance maize (Zea mays L) varieties for fertilizer levels and spacing in Trans-ecological with a professor in my undergraduate program. Am highly industrious and willing to work hard.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:40am On Jul 26, 2017
Within 2 days he replied with this mail but confused now
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:43am On Jul 26, 2017
Thank you for your interest in my research. It would be a pleasure to serve as your postgraduate research advisor. I only accept student for full research degree as either MPhil or PhD research. Your CV shows that you current do not have a strong research profile and therefore would be difficult to secure a AA
scholarship to study at AA

If you are able to provide evidence of scholarship for the research, we can consider your request before you apply to AA. I wish you all the best and hope you can secure a research scholarship for your study plan.
st
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 4:47am On Jul 26, 2017
I had to write back to him stating am a bit naive abt what he meant by strong research profile with my detailed CV on research work done. Am getting a feeling he meant my work been published still in doubt but still yet to get a response back from him almost 3 days now.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 5:42am On Jul 26, 2017
obene12:
I had to write back to him stating am a bit naive abt what he meant by strong research profile with my detailed CV on research work done. Am getting a feeling he meant my work been published still in doubt but still yet to get a response back from him almost 3 days now.
He meant that he would like to work with you, but only on the condition that you can secure external funding on your own. He believes you won't be able to secure funding from the school because of your lack of research experience.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:42am On Jul 26, 2017
TooMuchSauce:

I'd suggest you start by watching Magoosh videos, then to the Manhattan 8 series, then pick up the Manhattan 5lb and solve from chapters 7-29. Magoosh videos helps with understanding and revising the basic concepts you may have forgotten, the Manhattan series gives lucid explanations on all the quant topics (and there are lots of questions to play around with), then the 5lb is just the icing on the cake; if u can solve and review all the quant questions coupled with taking some full-lenght practice tests,a perfect score shouldn't be a far cry. It's not as easy as it seems o, but u just have to keep going at it. All the best bro.
PS: Whatever you do, never forget that the ETS official guide i s the bible of the GRE (read it as many times as you deem fit).
please I also need those materials
mail: victoragboli@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:46am On Jul 26, 2017
temmitats:

He meant that he would like to work with you, but only on the condition that you can secure external funding on your own. He believes you won't be able to secure funding from the school because of your lack of research experience.
So what to do you advise...Should he not be able to get funding externally
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 26, 2017
obene12:
[' author=tescoman90 post=58626427]

Bro I badly use the feature on NL. U sent me a mail request which i sent back, forgive me bro. I can't send mail request 4rm mine ends end
bros i dey pm you and no reply sad

Haaaba! No problem I understand wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 26, 2017
temmitats:

I think he made mention of MPhil n PhD.
I mean he only accept dos two for full funding
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 8:52am On Jul 26, 2017
temmitats:

so what do you advise
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Aryastark2: 9:34am On Jul 26, 2017
Please can anyone help me with Manhattan 5lb and magoosh videos. My email address is smartychiz@gmail.com.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by T2mininu: 9:47am On Jul 26, 2017
Please anyone help me with a TOEFL and GRE exam simulators and where to register the exams in Abuja. How much does each exam cost?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by athorello(m): 11:11am On Jul 26, 2017
Please, G&G focused guys in the house should advise me on potential schools for msc/PhD in geophysics.
Thanks.

Abeg, nl make una no dey ban me again cos am not understanding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:58am On Jul 26, 2017
obene12:

temmitats' answer is spot on.

The only thing I would add is that if you're really keen on working with him, you could get money to sponsor your MPhil, get in, and then apply for a funded PhD position. Things get relatively easier once you're already in the system. They might even take up your funding once you show promise after your first semester in MPhil.

Also, even though you'll be working in his lab, your entire app would still be vetted by the Dept's admission committee. He can't see how you could get pass that Dept filter with your current research experience, even though he wants you "so badly." So getting his 'yes' doesn't mean an automatic admit. It just makes things somewhat easier.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
Scholastica16:

Thank you brother.

PhD actually.

Mississippi just struck out as well an hour after I made my last post. I am blessed!

Hmm, it's well. Let's count on Michigan for now then. Getting into LSU's ChemE is becoming hard of late. Same for other Houston schools, outside UT Austin. A common factor I've seen though is that, even with little or no research experience, most int'l admits had really superb undergrad GPA OR compensated with very high GRE scores. Either one or the other.

Having a Nigerian faculty in these depts would definitely make things easier. Even if they aren't currently accepting students, they'd know of other profs with funding. But there's none here, AFAIK. Hence why we need people like you to[i] not[/i] give up, so we can have our people there.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2017
Magoosh videos @ your convenience
Here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3712356323

Jamaticulus:

No boss...

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2017
Magoosh videos @ your convenience
Here it is
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3712356323

tosinooo:
Do you have access to the magoosh videos? If yes, I'd greatly appreciate it if you can post the link here or sent to my mail. (op.tosin@gmail.com). Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
bagger293:
Thank you very much brother...I have checked the universities in Finland but I haven't seen any scholarship opportunity which covers everything including living cost.The universities being tution free, one has to cater for his living and other costs, I've checked TU Delft too

That is the problem: apart from the US and to some degree Canada, it is very difficult to find a completely fully-funded post graduate program anywhere else let alone Europe.

It is not impossible, but it is difficult. Have you looked at Switzerland?

(1) (2) (3) ... (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.