Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352510 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femi312: 4:31pm On Aug 15, 2017
Yildiz:
Please I have some questions.

I wish to apply for Fall 2018 and as you know deadline of most schools is in december but we are adviced to send ours applications as early as possible. My question is; I intend to re-write GRE by November, sans that can I apply as early as october, are GRE scores asked during application? or they just wait for the official results from ETS?
You are good to start your application in October, some schools require you to input your result in the application portal while some dont. Either case you should be fine since they will still wait to receive your official GRE score until they review your application. You can start your application by october and chase your LOR providers during that time since LOR is one of the materials that delay completion of application.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 4:38pm On Aug 15, 2017
femi312:
You are good to start your application in October, some schools require you to input your result in the application portal while some dont. Either case you should be fine since they will still wait to receive your official GRE score until they review your application. You can start your application by october and chase your LOR providers during that time since LOR is one of the materials that delay completion of application.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by LagosismyHome(f): 4:59pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hisvoice:
My Observation (Post 2)
Special thanks to everyone for their congratulatory messages. Overcoming the dour feeling experienced after the exam (where you put your head on a BRT/LAGBUS window) thinking of what you could've done right is enough to propel for success. On a lighter note, one of the good experience GRE brought is the urge to open this thread everyday and meeting virtual friends with similar ambition. Infact! I commend this guys/ladies - ponpon, time2smile, ecoleco,iekene, Scholastica et al - for the info and help you dish out here. Special thanks to Lagosismyhome (on the visa thread), who I never met even till now but paid 50k to register for me during the promo time. God bless you all.

I discovered few things about GRE exam, which is important to impending test takers - either 1st, 2nd or my category;

1. About 60-70% of 1st time takers re-write more than once in other to get a desired score. Probably, due to the fact that they were not familiar with the concept of the exam or not too prepared for what they met. Therefore, if you are a 1st time taker, try as much as possible to prepare very well to get your desired score. Ask questions from people who have experienced it.
2. Some of the available books are not adequate enough for the real GRE questions. Although some topics are more elaborated in few ones. Carefully select books for reading. Don't just read randomly.
3. Generally, it is easier to improve in Quant than Verbal. Most students, including chinese struggle with the Verbal questions partly because of the convoluted style of writing them. Believe me, if you get the concept, you can do well in it.
4. Low GRE score does not equate failure in securing admission if other aspect of the admission package is good. Funding! is probably difficult with low GRE but schools like (ETSU, TTU) still offer funding for low scorers. Do your assignment well and don't raise the bar too high.

Next post is for Verbal discussion. Feel free to ask questions.

Good to read about your success story and your journey up ....... Keep it up , the sky is your starting point . May God's hand be upon you
Cheers
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jagadab: 2:55am On Aug 16, 2017
hello house this is my first time here and very glad to come across the thread,I intend taking the GRE October but have just one school in mind(northeastern university )
please who know about their funding and I really need someone give me the necessary orientation I need.
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hisvoice(m): 11:41am On Aug 16, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Good to read about your success story and your journey up ....... Keep it up , the sky is your starting point . May God's hand be upon you
Cheers

Thank you Sis. I really appreciate. Hope you seen my mail?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bebebella(f): 5:55pm On Aug 16, 2017
Yildiz:

Yes there is at least I know of Abuja. Am also planning on writing GRE in Nov. Actually re-writing

will you re pay for writing another GRE exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2017
Bebebella:

You will.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 6:16pm On Aug 16, 2017
Bebebella:

Yes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bebebella(f): 6:19pm On Aug 16, 2017
Yildiz:
I will look at other schools but my problem is I dont want to apply to many schools (why, I cant say). Secondly, I dont mind going to other countries. I will try the free WES conversion

pls am new in this page and I don't understand some of d abbreviation eg pls what is free WES? wat is LOR?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bebebella(f): 6:21pm On Aug 16, 2017
Yildiz:

Yes

thank u. pls what can I read to get a good score n where can I get d good GRE exam past Questions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 6:30pm On Aug 16, 2017
Bebebella:

pls am new in this page and I don't understand some of d abbreviation eg pls what is free WES? wat is LOR?

WES - World Education Services
LOR - Letter of Recommendation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bebebella(f): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2017
scoreall:

I sent u a private message. Plz I need d link. Am writing in October.
pls if you have d video, pls am interest. Hw can I get it?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bebebella(f): 6:34pm On Aug 16, 2017
DreManuel:

WES - World Education Services LOR - Letter of Recommendation
thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by khadijat2015: 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
[color=][/color]

Hello house..
Am new to this thread..my question is that...is it a must to make use of WES for calculation of one's cgpa
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2017
Bebebella:

thank u. pls what can I read to get a good score n where can I get d good GRE exam past Questions?

Read from page 1 of this thread. If you get far enough you'd have 70% of the information you already need.

I gather you are aiming for a PhD which is splendid because with a good GRE score, you could be admitted into a top 100 US school fully-funded.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 6:44pm On Aug 16, 2017
khadijat2015:
[color=][/color]

Hello house..
Am new to this thread..my question is that...is it a must to make use of WES for calculation of one's cgpa

NO
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2017
khadijat2015:
[color=][/color]

Hello house..

No. Some schools ask for it whilst others don't.

It helps in guaging one's profile though, especially when trying to communicate with POIs. They relate better when you say, "I had a 3.7/4" than say, 4.4/5 (even though both are stellar). The former appears to them as 92.5% whilst the latter mathematically is 88%.

But, like I said before, it depends on the school of choice. WES costs $212 to process but using the free converter can help with an appropriate estimate that would not stray too far from the actual conversion.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2017
Scholastica16:

It helps in guaging one's profile though, especially when trying to communicate with POIs. They relate better when you say, "I had a 3.7/4" than say, 4.4/5 (even though both are stellar). The former appears to them as 92.5% whilst the latter mathematically is 88%.

But, like I said before, it depends on the school of choice. WES costs $212 to process but using the free converter can help with an appropriate estimate that would not stray too far from the actual conversion.

I am sorry for my silence on the thread. I have arrived in the US and have been busy with orientation. Class starts on Monday. I would try to be more active as the situation permits. Thanks

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2017
Seen man. wink
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 12:26am On Aug 17, 2017
Hisvoice:
My GRE Experience (Post 1)
I am writing this to encourage someone out there. My background includes a 2.1 and 65th percentile CGPA in both B.Sc and M.Sc respectively (medical field in Nigeria), and it was saddening to see me fall for GRE 3 times. Yes! 3 horrible times. A GRE score that is >300 seems like a Kilmanjaro without any knowledge of how to surmount it. I drew encouragement from the fact that my score improved by 6 marks at each attempt (1st - 286, 2nd - 292, 3rd - 298) and was resilient to @ least break the jinx of 300 mark, even if it's just by 0.000001. Although, it was quite challenging - financially, emotionally and mentally - to keep up with the exams due to work schedule, exam cost and depression associated with failure. Yet! I never give up 'cos I saw GRE as an hurdle to jump to achieve something big.
At last, after dealing with the 'Jericho wall' at the redemption camp on thursday, I went to JKK (where I was a regular customer) to re-write.
After the exam, I scored 308 (Total Score; Quant - 154, Verbal - 154). Not 'stellar' as we commonly say here, but at all all ........

By writing 4 times, I discovered some things about the exam that worth sharing particularly for low scorers in VERBAL. I will be back to share in the next post.. Merci Dieu

Was it computer based you wrote or paper based?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 3:38am On Aug 17, 2017
Scholastica16:

Read from page 1 of this thread. If you get far enough you'd have 70% of the information you already need.

I gather you are aiming for a PhD which is splendid because with a good GRE score, you could be admitted into a top 100 US school fully-funded.

I'm kinda laid-back, so I never bothered to go through the entire thread myself save from the page 250Something upon which I stumbled on this thread -- and that's long after I had written my own GRE, so I learned the hard way, but I found myself here somehow perhaps to cheer others up as I pass along. So, I took the pain to scan through the thread today, and I can see valuable inputs/testimonials from great minds here. I recommend that "newcomers" and/or intending test takers should do the same.

And you - Scholastica16 - have earned your props. I read through your valuable contributions, magnanimous gestures, personal aspirations and hopes. And all I can say is that you deserve the very best and nothing less. Why? Mary Anne Radmacher was right: “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.”

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rousel(m): 7:57am On Aug 17, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Cheers
............... Good morning,pls I like to know how to approach the application fee issue if am applying to 3 Universities? knowing the admission is not guaranteed. Am an Economics graduate,from my observation it's like we don't get funding like the sciences.will be most grateful if you have any University that gives funding to My field of study(Going for my Masters in Economics). Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by afroxyz: 10:15am On Aug 17, 2017
How long does it take for GRE results to come.out?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by khadijat2015: 10:41am On Aug 17, 2017
[quote author=Scholastica16 post=59539383]

Thanks for this.

I have another question.
Is it possible to meet up for spring 2018 admission
And how soon can one start preparing for it
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
DreManuel:

I'm kinda laid-back, so I never bothered to go through the entire thread myself save from the page 250Something upon which I stumbled on this thread -- and that's long after I had written my own GRE, so I learned the hard way, but I found myself here somehow perhaps to cheer others up as I pass along. So, I took the pain to scan through the thread today, and I can see valuable inputs/testimonials from great minds here. I recommend that "newcomers" and/or intending test takers should do the same.

And you - Scholastica16 - have earned your props. I read through your valuable contributions, magnanimous gestures, personal aspirations and hopes. And all I can say is that you deserve the very best and nothing less. Why? Mary Anne Radmacher was right: “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.”

Thank you brother. I appreciate. I wish you the same WRT PTDF. UMich is a biggie. The admission cannot waste. Besides, you have been mega-helpful on this thread as well.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:06pm On Aug 17, 2017
afroxyz:
How long does it take for GRE results to come.out?

Immediately? undecided

Although the Analytical writing aspect comes out in 10days.

This is for CBT.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
khadijat2015:
Thanks for this.

I have another question.
Is it possible to meet up for spring 2018 admission
And how soon can one start preparing for it

Yes and No.

Yes if you have all your documents ready (including LORs, SOPs and GRE) you can definitely make it in time for Spring.

There is a little hitch though, most funding opportunities bar a very few exist in Fall as against spring so it is always recommended that applicants from our side of the divide considered Fall above Spring except you have your own external source of funding.

Fall admission cycle begins in Oct. I think you should aim for it whilst you prep for your GRE. US can wait.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 1:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
Rousel:
............... Good morning,pls I like to know how to approach the application fee issue if am applying to 3 Universities? knowing the admission is not guaranteed. Am an Economics graduate,from my observation it's like we don't get funding like the sciences.will be most grateful if you have any University that gives funding to My field of study(Going for my Masters in Economics). Thanks

Good morning,

I do not know any other way to approach the application fees than paying it, except it is waived for you - and that's very rare. Even if you are applying to different programs in a school, one application fee won't suffice for all of them as you would have to pay severally. Sadly you will have to pay the non-refundable $90 or whatever the school is asking even when admission is not guaranteed.

It's true your chances of getting funding as an international student is as not as promising as STEM majors. You would have to try harder than STEM guys to be able to cut the mustard. So you need to reach out to schools of your choice and seek out possibilities for funding. I don't know any I can recommend but do your research. You could also consider local scholarships that sponsor Economics Major overseas. But you may have to choose courses related to oil and gas management in some cases like PTDF. You could try Chevening too if you like UK and meet the requirements.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Divabiola: 4:34pm On Aug 17, 2017
If you have a good background in probabilistic theory and want to apply for a phd in Computer Science this coming Spring, please reach out to me

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kirusky4life(f): 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2017
Good evening all. I was scheduled for Gre general test today. but because of technical issues from ets, I was not checked in. The TCA said ets wl reschedule me since it was not my fault. please is there anything I can do to facilitate the rescheduling?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 1:06am On Aug 18, 2017
Time2Smile:

I am sorry for my silence on the thread. I have arrived in the US and have been busy with orientation. Class starts on Monday. I would try to be more active as the situation permits. Thanks
Me too! I have particularly found it tough to settle in. So many things to get done quickly and I have started classes already. Advisor gave me a long checklist of everything to get done within 2 weeks.

How is everyone doing? Wish 2018 fall applicants all the best!

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toptrendz: 1:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
Scholastica16:

you should visit S[url="https://www.galaxy-s9.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-released-date/"]amsung galaxy s9 release date [/url]

I can live with the fact that those who got accepted had significantly better research experience, rapport with POIs, better standardized tests scores etc. But it is a very hard pill to swallow when the Iranian posting his acceptance cannot even string coherent sentences together.

Anyways, make I leave am as e dey. Thanks brother.

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.