Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352494 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hisvoice(m): 1:41pm On Aug 18, 2017
Just in case you have access to internet and you need practice exam, Check gre.kmf.com.
Over 20 free practice timed questions similar to real GRE questions are on the site. Follow the steps below;

1. Preferably, use google chrome browser.
2. Use the translator on the browser to convert the language from Chinese to English.
3. Click 'mold test,' and access the questions - Verbal 1-27 set, Quant 1-28 set
4. Click icon 开始做题. Then, the exam begins
There are 20 questions on each set.

If you don't have google browser, click on 模考 below the TOEFL, GRE, IELTS interface, in any browser used.
Wish you success.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 1:43pm On Aug 18, 2017
Kirusky4life:
Good evening all. I was scheduled for Gre general test today. but because of technical issues from ets, I was not checked in. The TCA said ets wl reschedule me since it was not my fault. please is there anything I can do to facilitate the rescheduling?

Apparently no one is answering you cos your case may be very uncommon. I can relate to your situation either. I think you should direct the question to the TCA - they should no better. Or send mail to ETS detailing your ordeal.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
Please house, University of illinois at Chicago seems a good and not too ambitious for PhD, any one with info regarding the school please.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jbolaifa: 6:28pm On Aug 18, 2017
I just subscribed for magoosh gre and toefl, and I don't know if anyone is interested in sharing the cost with me, I mean I can share the log in details.
jbolaifa@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josh4wod: 7:53pm On Aug 18, 2017
nastydamus:

I'm ok with the other offers I got though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 11:49pm On Aug 18, 2017
Good evening my fellow Nigerians. I just got admission mail from university of idaho for sring 2018. Please I want to ask how will I know if was giving any kind of funding.? Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sahm4u2nv(m): 2:38am On Aug 19, 2017
Good morning sir and MA's

I'm elated to come across this thread,

I've been trying to go through the thread I'm which I have gained one or two things

Furthermore, I'm new to GRE, all I know about it is that it's a verbally and quantitatively Test

I'm currently running my MSc program and I ll be through by novermber with high hope of making a PhD grade by God's grace

I do like to proceed for my PhD in Canada or United states through scholarship although my UG CGPA is 3.48/5

1. How/much can I purchase the GRE form?

2. Are there GRE centres in IBADAN?

3. What are my chances of getting fully funded MSc program with my UG CGPA of 3.48/5 in U.S or Canada if I decided to quit my present MSc program

4. What are my chances of getting fully funded PhD program in Canada or U.S after the completion of my MSc here in naija

5. How can I get GRE materials for preparation do I need to buy or download online?

6. I plan writing the exam December or when is the best time to write it as regards to next year because I really want to prepare so hard with the grace of God Almighty

7. Note: I'm a science student (soilScience)

8. I ll remodifying the quote as I remember all that has been bordering my mind as regards GRE

9. You can reach me on +237068106836

samueladegoke1888@gmail.com

As regards the materials n orientations
Thanks as you plan to take a poor boy to the promised land.

All.errors r highly regretted cos I was sleep typing it

Best wishes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 6:57am On Aug 19, 2017
Sharles:
Good evening my fellow Nigerians. I just got admission mail from university of idaho for sring 2018. Please I want to ask how will I know if was giving any kind of funding.? Thanks

Hey man, congrats on your admission. If you are given funding, you would know. The nature of the financial aid given would either be stated in your admission letter (most cases) or the award details sent to you in a separate mail. Are you a Master's or PhD student?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 7:24am On Aug 19, 2017
DreManuel:

Hey man, congrats on your admission. If you are given funding, you would know. The nature of the financial aid given would either be stated in your admission letter (most cases) or the award details sent to you in a separate mail. Are you a Master's or PhD student?

Masters student, I will wait for my admission letter. How long does it take before one receive admission letter.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 7:48am On Aug 19, 2017
Sharles:

Masters student, I will wait for my admission letter. How long does it take before one receive admission letter.

what's your course?

It depends on the school. But admission letter shouldn't take longer than a week. I expect it to have been attached to the congratulatory mail you got. But it could be sent separately too. Some also ask to download from their portal online.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Fatezee(f): 7:51am On Aug 19, 2017
Sharles:

How long does it take to get a decision from idaho after submission of all application requirements?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 8:28am On Aug 19, 2017
DreManuel:

what's your course?

It depends on the school. But admission letter shouldn't take longer than a week. I expect it to have been attached to the congratulatory mail you got. But it could be sent separately too. Some also ask to download from their portal online.

Msc civil engineering.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 8:35am On Aug 19, 2017
Fatezee:

How long does it take to get a decision from idaho after submission of all application requirements?

I applied on the 17th July I got admission offer 18th August. My reference was sent on the 29th of July...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 19, 2017
Sharles:

I applied on the 17th July I got admission offer 18th August. My reference was sent on the 29th of July...

please, whats your GRE score?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 11:26pm On Aug 19, 2017
tescoman90:

please, whats your GRE score?

I did not write GRE OR TOEFL. The university does not require GRE for my course (Msc civil engrn) and did not require TOEFL because they recognise nigeria as an English speaking country.
But there are some courses that requires GRE by the university
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NigPatriot(m): 12:34am On Aug 20, 2017
For those who are preparing for their GRE exam, there is a Whatsapp group available, where we can share materials, information and rub ideas to score excellently. follow this link, lets meet there https:///46ahKMcTHF0LbgfLLQfggd[b][/b] or chat up 08179422332.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by NigPatriot(m): 12:55am On Aug 20, 2017
Sharles:

I did not write GRE OR TOEFL. The university does not require GRE for my course (Msc civil engrn) and did not require TOEFL because they recognise nigeria as an English speaking country.
But there are some courses that requires GRE by the university

i sent you a PM please reply.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sharles: 11:25am On Aug 20, 2017
NigPatriot:

i sent you a PM please reply.

This my email whizzy4chizzy@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Fatezee(f): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
Sharles:

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 7:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
sahm4u2nv:
Good morning sir and MA's

I'm elated to come across this thread,

All.errors r highly regretted cos I was sleep typing it

Best wishes

Next time, type while you're wide awake. First off, don't drop out of your MS. Don't. Finish what you started well. All you need to know about registering for the GRE is on www.ETS.org/gre

When you're done reading on the site, don't hesitate to ask questions here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lokvaani: 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by vinupriya: 8:31am On Aug 21, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 9:21am On Aug 21, 2017
I gave my GRE test on 17th of August( last Thursday). Here is a short transcript of how it went.

There was an accident at Ketu-Maryland road that very morning, so, I got to the centre 30 minutes late. When I got there,I knew is either I'm allowed to take the test or not. The latter was about to happen, "as in, d guy don write lateness on top my name",I had to change my rapport to Yoruba maybe he will understand better as in " tiwa tiwa",$205 can't waste like that. After subtle pressing, he directed me to his boss chilling in one corner in the test room, as d guy saw me, I told I knew I was late, he just pleaded to d junior officer to please attend to me. Na so I do data capture, read one trope compliance text and so on. After that, I was directed to seat 37. Oya to d next section

Before clicking anything, I had to bring my thoughts together, so I clicked ,clicked and clicked. The issue essay was about student choosing subject that interest them rather than choosing the one that leads to job. Kaplan really helped in terms of essay organization so it was pretty easy. Argument essay was okay, I was able to detect the flaws and used Kaplan method again.

Second section was verbal, it has always been an issue, so was already prepared for any surprises. I pace better in TC, SE and short passages during prep, which I first attempted before attempting the long passage(it was damn long).

3rd section was quant, having an engineering background, it was not too hard, but didn't really pace well,the questions were really technical. I spent more time on each question cuz I haven't really entered my "avatar state", deciphering the word problems was arduous.

Now another verbal, its difficultly was like the first ,so I knew I preformed averagely(9-12/20) as I usually do in prep. Didn't ignore the long passage at first, I attempted the questions orderly. I'm kind of adaptive in my approach to the verbal section.

**10 minutes break, was really enervated, asked the officer to allow me get water in my bag but he refused, he said test takers are not allowed to get their bag until after the test. I just jejely went back to my seat knowing the next two sections will be hell**

5th section was Quant, I saw some difficult questions,compound interest in one QC question, "I use sense answer am". I was asked to find the area of a tilted shape in a xy-coordinate,couldn't find a reference point, I just ignored it. Data interpretation was okay. Still very thirsty, I couldn't think well at first but I garnered my inner strength with some motivational Bible verse and moved on.

Now verbal for d last section, I knew dis one can't be the experimental section, " throat don dry already". The TC/SE was okay, the long passage is just two long paragraphs, not really difficult. I extrapolated that the previous verbal was not very good or at the same level,but I tried to answer the questions very carefully, I even had like one and the half minute to review some marked questions.

I was very scared, I couldn't look at the screen cuz I'm not convinced with my performance. So I clicked on report scores, "I open eyes saw a confirmation message, I just vex click confirm".

Verbal : 152
Quant: 160

I was surprised cuz I wasn't in my ideal mind throughout the test, but I can not but to thank God.

These were my mock test scores;

Diagnostic test (Powerprep 1) : V142 Q154
After a month(Powerprep 2): V138 Q156 ( I knew I had to upgrade my prep)

Some weeks before test:

Manhattan test: V148 Q158
Princeton test: V149 Q159 AWA:4.5

I was really pissed with my petty mistakes on quant so I knew I just have to be super careful on the test day to hit 160+

Three days to test
Powerprep 2: V148 Q158
Magoosh test : V150 Q159
Powerprep 1(verbal only): 154
Powerprep 1(Quant only): 164

This is my recommendation:

Kaplan is very good for essay organization, Magoosh's technique on logical fallacy will help your argument essay. Make sure you read sample essays on ets verbal official guide.

Manhattan 5lb book to solve Quant questions(it was already late before I discovered this book) and watch magoosh videos for techniques and tricks. Manhattan strategy book also tried for long passages (as for me).

Magoosh video on verbal generally is okay, practice with their verbal question set. If you don't have access to Magoosh account, Kaplan online verbal question bank is also okay.

For vocab, Magoosh common words(I-VI);its on quizlet. other vocab gotten from articles and questions are about 300 words. Barron 333 high frequency word, some of the words are familiar, I just filtered the unknown words out and studied like one third of it few days to test day. Altogether, I studied like 500+ words. Vocabulary.com is very good to checkout the meaning of words in context, which is substantial to your vocab learning journey.

In coda, the ets official guide for verbal and quantitative plus the official guide for general test are perfect, plus Powerprep 1 and 2. Powerprep 2 is a real test for verbal ,if you can perform well on Powerprep 2 verbal, then you're good.

Please bear with, the post is long but I know it will help future test takers just as this thread's forefathers have done and have helped us. Thanks for reading

Regards.

#teamFall2018

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:34am On Aug 21, 2017
tizentos:

#teamFall2018

Congrats Tizentos and don't apologize for your post as that is the reason this thread was created. Trust me, your score is good. Now it will help direct you to the schools that - armed with other aspects of your application - can admit and maybe even fund you.

Good thing you have started early. If you have time and money please take the TOEFL as well so that you would not be wanting in anything. I have a good feeling about you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 9:44am On Aug 21, 2017
Scholastica16:

Congrats Tizentos and don't apologize for your post as that is the reason this thread was created. Trust me, your score is good. Now it will help direct you to the schools that - armed with other aspects of your application - can admit and maybe even fund you.

Good thing you have started early. If you have time and money please take the TOEFL as well so that you would not be wanting in anything. I have a good feeling about you.

Thank you boss,

I plan taking TOEFL before December--state of service is far to "test-taking states"-- cuz 3 of 4 schools I picked have it as part of their requirements for international students. Moreover , I have come to realized that it will boost my chance to get funding and scholarship. I am really hopeful about this whole process.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:23am On Aug 21, 2017
tizentos:

I was very scared, I couldn't look at the screen cuz I'm not convinced with my performance. So I clicked on report scores, "I open eyes saw a confirmation message, I just vex click confirm".

I was surprised cuz I wasn't in my ideal mind throughout the test, but I can not but to thank God.

Some weeks before test:

I was really pissed with my petty mistakes on quant so I knew I just have to be super careful on the test day to hit 160+

Three days to test

Congratulations. Really good score especially considering the circumstances. And the improvement in your scores as you progressed in your preparation is really impressive. Relax for a few days or week and continue working on other parts of your application. Especially your SOP and LORs. It wouldn't hurt to contact some potential supervisors.

Congrats again.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Good morning. Is a score of 320 + achievable in 30 days, considering I have a baseline score of 308 (Q-152,V- 156)? P.s- I had skimmed through the Manhattan quant strategy guide for like a month before the test. No prior prep for Verbal. Targeting at least 160 in Quant(lol).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2017
Time2Smile:

Congratulations. Really good score especially considering the circumstances. And the improvement in your scores as you progressed in your preparation is really impressive. Relax for a few days or week and continue working on other parts of your application. Especially your SOP and LORs. It wouldn't hurt to contact some potential supervisors.

Congrats again.

wow.

Thanks Time2Smile, that was helpful. I will get back to work soon!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 1:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
pierre92:
Good morning. Is a score of 320 + achievable in 30 days, considering I have a baseline score of 308 (Q-152,V- 156)? P.s- I had skimmed through the Manhattan quant strategy guide for like a month before the test. No prior prep for Verbal. Targeting at least 160 in Quant(lol).

Its very possible you hit 160+ in your verbal and quant, considering your base score. You need to analyze your mock test and note the questions you got right,wrong,guessed rightly. Also, ask yourself why you got or failed each question--it might be arithmetic error, inability to interpret word problems,never studied the question type before or perhaps,you haven't learnt enough vocab,poor approach to questions.

Then you work towards perfecting your weak areas.

Manhattan 5lb book(not strategy guide) is very helpful to practice various topics in Quant.

Magoosh video approach is top-notch to tackle RC detail ,inference questions.

You know your weakness and strength,thus, be direct in your prep. practice ,practice and practice then you will achieve 320+.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2017
Congrats Tizentos nice one. Welcome to the next stage.

#TeamFall18
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
tizentos:
I gave my GRE test on 17th of August( last Thursday). Here is a short transcript of how it went.

There was an accident at Ketu-Maryland road that very morning, so, I got to the centre 30 minutes late. When I got there,I knew is either I'm allowed to take the test or not. The latter was about to happen, "as in, d guy don write lateness on top my name",I had to change my rapport to Yoruba maybe he will understand better as in " tiwa tiwa",$205 can't waste like that. After subtle pressing, he directed me to his boss chilling in one corner in the test room, as d guy saw me, I told I knew I was late, he just pleaded to d junior officer to please attend to me. Na so I do data capture, read one trope compliance text and so on. After that, I was directed to seat 37. Oya to d next section

Before clicking anything, I had to bring my thoughts together, so I clicked ,clicked and clicked. The issue essay was about student choosing subject that interest them rather than choosing the one that leads to job. Kaplan really helped in terms of essay organization so it was pretty easy. Argument essay was okay, I was able to detect the flaws and used Kaplan method again.

Second section was verbal, it has always been an issue, so was already prepared for any surprises. I pace better in TC, SE and short passages during prep, which I first attempted before attempting the long passage(it was damn long).

3rd section was quant, having an engineering background, it was not too hard, but didn't really pace well,the questions were really technical. I spent more time on each question cuz I haven't really entered my "avatar state", deciphering the word problems was arduous.

Now another verbal, its difficultly was like the first ,so I knew I preformed averagely(9-12/20) as I usually do in prep. Didn't ignore the long passage at first, I attempted the questions orderly. I'm kind of adaptive in my approach to the verbal section.

**10 minutes break, was really enervated, asked the officer to allow me get water in my bag but he refused, he said test takers are not allowed to get their bag until after the test. I just jejely went back to my seat knowing the next two sections will be hell**

5th section was Quant, I saw some difficult questions,compound interest in one QC question, "I use sense answer am". I was asked to find the area of a tilted shape in a xy-coordinate,couldn't find a reference point, I just ignored it. Data interpretation was okay. Still very thirsty, I couldn't think well at first but I garnered my inner strength with some motivational Bible verse and moved on.

Now verbal for d last section, I knew dis one can't be the experimental section, " throat don dry already". The TC/SE was okay, the long passage is just two long paragraphs, not really difficult. I extrapolated that the previous verbal was not very good or at the same level,but I tried to answer the questions very carefully, I even had like one and the half minute to review some marked questions.

Some weeks before test:

Three days to test

This is my recommendation:

Kaplan is very good for essay organization, Magoosh's technique on logical fallacy will help your argument essay. Make sure you read sample essays on ets verbal official guide.

Manhattan 5lb book to solve Quant questions(it was already late before I discovered this book) and watch magoosh videos for techniques and tricks. Manhattan strategy book also tried for long passages (as for me).

Magoosh video on verbal generally is okay, practice with their verbal question set. If you don't have access to Magoosh account, Kaplan online verbal question bank is also okay.

For vocab, Magoosh common words(I-VI);its on quizlet. other vocab gotten from articles and questions are about 300 words. Barron 333 high frequency word, some of the words are familiar, I just filtered the unknown words out and studied like one third of it few days to test day. Altogether, I studied like 500+ words. Vocabulary.com is very good to checkout the meaning of words in context, which is substantial to your vocab learning journey.

In coda, the ets official guide for verbal and quantitative plus the official guide for general test are perfect, plus Powerprep 1 and 2. Powerprep 2 is a real test for verbal ,if you can perform well on Powerprep 2 verbal, then you're good.

Please bear with, the post is long but I know it will help future test takers just as this thread's forefathers have done and have helped us. Thanks for reading

Regards.

#teamFall2018

Congratulations on surmounting the GRE. Much have been said about what you should do next. But permit me to draw some lessons from your experience, perhaps future text takers can learn one or two things from them;

COMMENDATIONS:

1. The unexpected happened on your way to the test venue resulting in your lateness. I loved the way you handled the situation - didn't panic but got the test done anyway. You also relaxed to gather your thoughts before the test.
2. You already knew the strategy to adopt for the AWA. You knew what to look out for - fallacies in the argumentative essay -and you nailed it. Hopefully, you will get a great score from that.
3. You attempted the short RC passages first before the long ones. That's a good strategy.

RECOMMENDATIONS (for future test takers)

1. For pacing on Verbal: Attempt questions in the following order; SE (30 secs per question), Text Completion (1min -1.30min/question from single blank to 3 blanks), Short RC, Long RC. You should be able to complete the 10 SE and Text Completions questions in under 15 mins. The remaining ~20 mins should be dedicated on RC from short to long passages. This strategy saves time once you master it. Don't bother to waste your time on reading instructions for the questions. GRE is a standardized test, if you've been practicing, you would know that the instructions are pretty the same.

2. Rest your eyes between sections. Use the time to arrange your scratch paper. The instruction page is not timed. They may say you are given one minute break but it's not timed. Use it to rest your eyes. Take a walk if you have to. Take your eyes off the screen. It would refresh your brain.

3. Mark and come back to questions you find difficult be it in Quant or Verbal. This will help you pace well. In my GRE, I found in the 1st quant section, a particular strange probability question very indecipherable after spending over a minute. I marked and skipped. I finished all other questions under 25 mins. So I dedicated the remaining 10 minutes on this stubborn question and yes, I solved it!

4. Buy drinks and snacks and bring to the venue, keep at the designated place and eat during the test breaks - they won't let you reach for your bag. It is a grueling 5 hours test - it's not just a test of your aptitude but your stamina. Use your 10 mins break to eat, walk around, take a nap, do some relaxation exercises, breathe, give yourself some pep talks knowing that the next section would be incredibly tough, if you did well in the first. You would face long word problems in quant and many fill-in the blanks questions, verbose SE and TC in verbal, and annoyingly long RC.

5. Don't try to guess which is the experimental question but do your best and solve all the sections as if they count. Sometimes you won't know which is experimental but sometimes you may know. Anyway, experimental questions sometimes have incorrect questions (I saw one in my case and I was sure it was a wrong one) and the questions were all devilish!

6. One is really prone to making silly mistakes in the quant section. The only way out of it is practice, practice and practice! You should also keep tab of where you are prone to making mistakes and be on the look out for it.

E.g. Before GRE maths convention saved me. If I saw -2^2. I used to make it equal to 4 but it's actually -4. It is (-2)^2 that is equal to 4! Now that would be a silly mistake.

Again, when I saw "4 minus 2", I used to say = -2 which is silly!, but it is actually 4-2= 2. It's different from 4 subtracted from 2 = -2

7. Have 4 schools in mind where you would send FREE Score reports to at the end of the test.

COMMENDATIONS:

1. I must commend your fighting spirit. You didn't let down your guard throughout the test.

2. I love the pep talk part. You encouraged yourself by your faith. Great one!

3. You were battle ready as shown by the full-length practice tests you did. And your final scores were within 4 points range of your practice tests.

4. Success on your next steps!

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 3:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
tizentos:

Its very possible you hit 160+ in your verbal and quant, considering your base score.
Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.