Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,936 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351754 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 10:44am On Aug 27, 2017
tizentos:

Few days after my GRE test, I took a GMAT-based aptitude test--which I aced-- and I must say, there just nuance differences between GMAT and GRE.

The Quant is almost similar. However,the verbal section is a bit different with the inclusion of critical reasoning, sentence correction and logical reasoning which I just have to familiarize myself with. The AWA is pretty much similar,albeit, you need to know how to write the GMAT, so here is a google drive, I hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2jZERjUXCHhZnB5T0tpY2ZyRmc
Pls can u help me with GRE materials. God bless
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 10:46am On Aug 27, 2017
learner007:
Please I am new on this thread. I want to write GRE and I am not sure if there are still promos. Please help a brother o

And when is the latest time to write for FALL 2018
Am also preparing against Fall 2018, can we study together? have you got the study materials?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
pstfrancis:
Morning guys. Pls can someone help me out with the meaning of this, I dont seem to understand what message that they are trying to pass across to me
"GRE score (General Test) – only a departmental requirement, so we do not list a minimum score requirement."

Is it that any score is acceptable in the GRE score or what?

Thanks to all the gurus in the house.

It means the admissions board do not set a minimum GRE requirement in order for your application to be sent to the department. Instead, it is the department that determines what GRE score would cut it after having compared your application to the other ones sent by other candidates.

Look at it this way, some schools say their minimum GRE requirement is 310. If you do not meet it, the admissions board will probably not forward it to the department. In some other schools 300 is the base minimum but having met that and your application is relayed to the department, if other candidates had 310+ and above, the department will most likely not accept your application even though you beat the base minimum GRE score.

Another circumstance can exist where even though the base minimum GRE score was 310, all the applications submitted in that pool had less than the score. The department would have no choice but to accept some applications from that pool even if the submitted GRE scores do not meet the minimum.

Because of the situation I described above, some admissions board allow the department to arbitrarily set the GRE score requirement based on the pool. So someone with even a 286 could be admitted in one year, yet a 305 could be bounced in another year.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2017
dayjeee:

Go. To. The. First. Page.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2017
dayjeee:
Am also preparing against Fall 2018, can we study together? have you got the study materials?

Of course we can. I am getting KAPLAN on Monday by His grace

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 1:11pm On Aug 27, 2017
dayjeee:

Though I got free tutoring services from BY MAFIT...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 2:30pm On Aug 27, 2017
In class?

learner007:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 3:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
learner007:

can I join?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 3:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
learner007:

can I join?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 3:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
Scholastica16:

Go. To. The. First. Page.
we are asked to send an empty message to a gmail account. I sent, yet to receive. but someone already posted a Googledrive link up there but I can't download the materials from there
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2017
learner007:

Of course we can. I am getting KAPLAN on Monday by His grace
ok, pls share with me wen u get it
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 0110x: 3:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
Rousel:

Pls can I be registered for GRE now against November... If I may ask are you working with Walspring?cause I have quoted him twice but no response, tnx
yes sure you can register now against November, Only November 2 available now though. And no , am not working with Walspring, his is a scheme funded by some guys, where you pay half the price, Mine is cheap compared to the main $205, cos I use Vouchers for registration.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
dayjeee:
can I join?

Only if u register with them o before 1st september...so they told me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ok. Its time for my experience writing TOEFL. I came to this thread searching for IELTS thread, then I became interested in studying in the US. I realized I need GRE and TOEFL. So I decided to start with TOEFL because I have an active GRE still.

I registered using BY Mafit, I was so scared but it was OK generally. My take on anyone going to register with them is to create account, fill all necessary details, select date and let them do the payment.

So I selected the nearest available date to enable me concentrate more on the GRE which was 26th August. I didnt have much time to prepare due to work. On Friday I took a sick leave and travelled to Abuja for the test. I stayed with a friend. On Saturday I arrived the venue at 9 am and funny enough more than 10 people are already in the venue. I signed attendance list, signed confidentiality form. My photo was capture and also my voice. I think few minutes to 10am the test started.

My first section was the reading section, I think it was 42 questions from 3 passages. Next was listening, which was 51 questions in 3 sub sections. After 10 mins break, then speaking section, as usual 6 questions. To be frank I was suprise of the first question. Though I can not remember the question but its an odd one considering what I thought it will be. The final section was the writing section, 2 questions as usual.

My aim is to score atleast a total of 110 with atleast 24 in speaking. Am not sure if I will achieve that but am prayerful.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by lightdream: 8:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
0110x:
yes sure you can register now against November, Only November 2 available now though. And no , am not working with Walspring, his is a scheme funded by some guys, where you pay half the price, Mine is cheap compared to the main $205, cos I use Vouchers for registration.
please can you help a brother with the link am interested.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Aramind(f): 10:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
lightdream:

i am also interested , please who do i contact
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Aramind(f): 10:25pm On Aug 27, 2017
learner007:

Only if u register with them o before 1st september...so they told me
who do we contact?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 0110x: 1:53am On Aug 28, 2017
lightdream:

Pm sir,
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 4:29am On Aug 28, 2017
dayjeee:

Hi dayjeee, kindly check the GRE folder in the Google drive I posted in the previous page. It contains ETS official guide,Magoosh GRE guide and Manhattan(Strategy guide and 5lb).
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by athorello(m): 5:28am On Aug 28, 2017
Scholastica16:

Some schools are strict about it: if you do not have the TOEFL they would not consider your application complete. Whilst some others are flexible and could let it slide for English-speaking countries like ours.

If you are adamant about not writing the TOEFL, then you must apply to schools that are flexible about it or else, they would not process your application. University of Utah and Houston are 2 of such schools that would not process your application without the TOEFL.

But if you have the resources, still take the TOEFL. It bolsters the application and it could earn you that TA/GA especially when only hairs split your profile from another applicant's.
Won't IELTS do? Considering those if us who wants to widen our horizons to include UK, Canada, Australia, etc.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:53am On Aug 28, 2017
athorello:

Won't IELTS do? Considering those if us who wants to widen our horizons to include UK, Canada, Australia, etc.

Some schools accept it while some others don't, but I think the IELTS can be used in lieu of the TOEFL. Only that US schools obviously have a preference for TOEFL seeing that it is American in nature

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 7:57am On Aug 28, 2017
Aramind:

who do we contact?

Go to MAN HOUSE (ACCESS BANK), 77 AWOLOWO RD, IKEJA ..ask security man for BY MAFIT OFFICE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 8:39am On Aug 28, 2017
tizentos:

Hi dayjeee, kindly check the GRE folder in the Google drive I posted in the previous page. It contains ETS official guide,Magoosh GRE guide and Manhattan(Strategy guide and 5lb).
thanks tizentos, but am having difficulty downloading it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oladipoolu3: 9:11am On Aug 28, 2017
Please add me to the whatsapp group chat @donxab
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oladipoolu3: 9:15am On Aug 28, 2017
oladipoolu3:
Please add me to the whatsapp group chat @donxab
Please add me to the whatsapp group chat
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mikeayus(m): 11:57am On Aug 28, 2017
Please add me to the whatsapp group chat 08064140027, thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2017
dayjeee:
thanks tizentos, but am having difficulty downloading it.

I would advice you use UC browser or PC. I still checked it this morning, I wished I had the link before I gave my GRE.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amandrush: 12:57am On Aug 30, 2017
Hello everyone. I have gone through the pages of this thread for days now and the amount of information here is monolithic.
I wish to specially thank everyone who has contributed in one way or the other for the success of this page. God bless you all abundantly.

My profile:
B.tech Ed. Construction Technology
CGPA is 4.05/5

I wish to apply for MSc or PhD construction project management (CPM)
I made an unscrupulous mistake by not carrying out adequate research before registering for both the GRE and Toefl exams

I have registered for the GRE exam for 6th of October and Toefl for 23rd of September. I believe with the data I have garnered here that it will be very difficult to get my required score, which is 320 with a months practice.

I have some questions and observations

1. Please can I reschedule my GRE exams til November ending and how much will it cost me?

2. Please which schools will be advisable for CPM either MSc or PhD with partial or full funding?

3. My sister stays in Texas and can accommodate me for the program so schools close to Texas would be an advantage, but other schools are welcomed as I want to apply to 5 schools against fall 2018
. I have already applied for Tamu college station so I need more eligible schools, feasible ones..

4. To be honest I have been bamboozled by the information on this thread. Hence, I beg our bosses in this house to please suggest a chronological approach to studying for the exam. I mean what book or materials to start with first, and accordingly. This is because I believe that some books are fundamental for others. Some you need to understand others

5. Please if there is a whatsapp group please add me up on 0viii8060033110
Facebook on casmirechimathias@yahoo.com
I stay at Kado Estate Abuja, a reading partner would be highly appreciated..

Thanks everyone as I expect your expedient reply..
Aloha
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MightyFortress: 2:39am On Aug 30, 2017
Subscribed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bayo0502(m): 3:30am On Aug 30, 2017
Yildiz:
Ok. Its time for my experience writing TOEFL. I came to this thread searching for IELTS thread, then I became interested in studying in the US. I realized I need GRE and TOEFL. So I decided to start with TOEFL because I have an active GRE still.

I registered using BY Mafit, I was so scared but it was OK generally. My take on anyone going to register with them is to create account, fill all necessary details, select date and let them do the payment.

So I selected the nearest available date to enable me concentrate more on the GRE which was 26th August. I didnt have much time to prepare due to work. On Friday I took a sick leave and travelled to Abuja for the test. I stayed with a friend. On Saturday I arrived the venue at 9 am and funny enough more than 10 people are already in the venue. I signed attendance list, signed confidentiality form. My photo was capture and also my voice. I think few minutes to 10am the test started.

My first section was the reading section, I think it was 42 questions from 3 passages. Next was listening, which was 51 questions in 3 sub sections. After 10 mins break, then speaking section, as usual 6 questions. To be frank I was suprise of the first question. Though I can not remember the question but its an odd one considering what I thought it will be. The final section was the writing section, 2 questions as usual.

My aim is to score atleast a total of 110 with atleast 24 in speaking. Am not sure if I will achieve that but am prayerful.
Pls, can u help me with Toefl materials.
bayobakare88@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 10:14am On Aug 30, 2017
Amandrush:
Hello everyone. I have gone through the pages of this thread for days now and the amount of information here is monolithic.
I wish to specially thank everyone who has contributed in one way or the other for the success of this page. God bless you all abundantly.

My profile:
B.tech Ed. Construction Technology
CGPA is 4.05/5

I wish to apply for MSc or PhD construction project management (CPM)
I made an unscrupulous mistake by not carrying out adequate research before registering for both the GRE and Toefl exams

I have registered for the GRE exam for 6th of October and Toefl for 23rd of September. I believe with the data I have garnered here that it will be very difficult to get my required score, which is 320 with a months practice.

I have some questions and observations

1. Please can I reschedule my GRE exams til November ending and how much will it cost me?

2. Please which schools will be advisable for CPM either MSc or PhD with partial or full funding?

3. My sister stays in Texas and can accommodate me for the program so schools close to Texas would be an advantage, but other schools are welcomed as I want to apply to 5 schools against fall 2018
. I have already applied for Tamu college station so I need more eligible schools, feasible ones..

4. To be honest I have been bamboozled by the information on this thread. Hence, I beg our bosses in this house to please suggest a chronological approach to studying for the exam. I mean what book or materials to start with first, and accordingly. This is because I believe that some books are fundamental for others. Some you need to understand others

5. Please if there is a whatsapp group please add me up on 0viii8060033110
Facebook on casmirechimathias@yahoo.com
I stay at Kado Estate Abuja, a reading partner would be highly appreciated..

Thanks everyone as I expect your expedient reply..
Aloha

Yes, 1 month will be unrealistic to get 320. But I don't know your competency level and work schedule.

You can reschedule for $50 and you should do it promptly. Generally, if you don't reschedule before 4 days to your test date, your registration fee will be forfeited. I advice you reschedule at most 10 days before your exam date.

About chronological approach to studying, I'd say there are many ways to skin a cat. So, design a systems that soothes you and your schedule. As per materials, If I were you, I would only focus on ETS official materials including PowerPrep2, Manhattan 5lb and Manhattan GRE Strategy Guide (8 of them), Magoosh GRE, Magoosh GRE 1000 Words on Android, Magoosh Videos, NOVA GRE Math Bible, Manhattan full length practice test (costs some $ ), Crunchprep free GRE full test. If you reschedule till November, you will only have 3 months to prepare and that is very adequate to meet you target score.

I advise you read tough materials from the NYT, the New Yorker, Arts and Letters Daily, the Economist, etc You will learn vocabs in context here and how to sound the depth of convoluted sentence structures.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:46am On Aug 30, 2017
To add to what DreManuel has said, you may want to contact BY MAFIT to know their price for rescheduling the GRE. They usually have better rates than the subsisting $ to N one.

If $50 is N18,500 at the present rate, BY MAFIT might charge you N9,000-12,000 to do the same thing which is cheaper for you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.