Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (277) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350546 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2017
DreManuel:

Good one bro. Let's hope PTDF comes of age. Since you already have your application materials intact, are you considering Spring starting in January? Application is ongoing and many schools admit for that Semester. But it depends on your plans sha.

Hello, so I've taken my GRE so I think I can ask questions on here now. I wanted ask about the jobs market in Charlotte-Raleigh-Durham area. I'm seriously looking at Duke's Fuqua School of Business and chances for getting employers that could sponsor the H1B.

Also, any thoughts on diversity considerations when schools hand out admissions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2017
Good evening everyone, I wrote my gre again for the second time today and was only able to add 5 points to my previous scores. Am really devastated at the moment, Don't know what to do. Previous score V 144 Q 150. Recent score V 143 Q156
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 6:01pm On Sep 01, 2017
"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. We do not offer a terminal Master's degree. However, there are two mechanisms to enter our department for studies toward the Ph.D.:

1) You can apply directly to the Department of Biological Sciences. If accepted, you will complete 2-3 rotations with faculty in our department. This is a good option if you have a strong interest in one or several labs in our department and prefer a small, focused environment with maximum coursework flexibility. In your statement of interest, please indicate which laboratories (from the list of primary training faculty) particularly interest you.

2) Alternatively, you can enter the department of Biological Sciences at the end of the first year after applying through the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program (IGP). The IGP is a first-year admission program that includes 11 different departments and programs concentrating on the Biomedical Sciences. The Biological Sciences department is a member of the IGP program (the only department that is housed in Arts and Science, rather than the medical school). If you are accepted to the IGP program, you complete 4 rotations during the first year while taking coursework with the other IGP students (a large, overview course in the fall and smaller, focused courses in the spring). The rotations can be completed with anyone affiliated with the 11 different departments and programs (more than 200 faculty total). At the end of the first year, you join a lab and also join a specific graduate program to which that PI belongs (e.g. Biological Sciences)."

It's a lot. Would someone please be kind enough to make this clearer?
cc DreManuel, Scholastica16, Time2Smile ....pretty please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2017
TheZed:
Good evening everyone, I wrote my gre again for the second time today and was only able to add 5 points to my previous scores. Am really devastated at the moment, Don't know what to do. Previous score V 144 Q 150. Recent score V 143 Q156

How do you study? What materials did you use? How much time do you have to study?
These are key areas you may need to look at.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2017
TheZed:
While we await the seasoned fathers of the thread to come tend to this, I'd chip a little something in.... That you decided to write a second time shows how pertinacious you are! Keep that up, chief; it's.... sublime.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

How do you study? What materials did you use? How much time do you have to study?
These are key areas you may need to look at.
I studied for more than 3 months. I used magoosh.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:30pm On Sep 01, 2017
TheZed:

Congratulations first and foremost. I have 2 friends that got admitted into good master's programs with 286 or thereabouts so don't be hard on yourself.

My target GRE Verbal score was 164 but I did not meet it in 2 tries despite scoring 166 and 164 in 2 of my practice tests. I would use myself as an example to explain how tricky the GRE Verbal could be.

In my first GRE I had 156 in my VR. I went through the diagnostics and saw that I had 16/20 in the TCs and SEs but 9/20 in the passages. In fact, I got only 3/10 in the long passages and 6/10 in the shorter ones.

Armed with this information, I figured I needed to work on the longer passages so I took steps I had not taken originally i.e started reading NY times, Long Reads etc. I knew I understood just about anything that was written in English so it was flustering how longer passages challenged the heck out of me in the GRE.

I can't say with a straight face that this strategy worked. Personally, I think knowing how to pace yourself will do the trick. I am saying this because, practicing ahome, I found myself in many situations finishing before the 20min mark and getting 14-18/20 in both long and short comprehension passages, but in the venue of my first GRE, after having answered the TCs & SEs I went blank for like 3 mins.

I found myself reading lines and not remembering what I had just read. In fact, the words were appearing in doubles to me. All my hardwork came to naught and I ended up guessing randomly in like 4 different questions.

My plan did not change much when I retook the GRE as I tossed away my strategy on the day when the nerves grew and I am sure same thing happens/happened to you so I would just tell you to do what I did: concentrate on your TCs and SEs.

Learn all the words from the Barron 1100 and Magoosh vocab builder lists. Understand the tips for plugging in answers in your SEs and TCs. They are always 20 of them in both tests and if you can get all of them, your extrapolated GRE score would be between 150-152 - even without getting any answers right in the passages!!

In my second GRE the diagnostics said I got 18/20 in the SEs and TCs but only 10/20 in the Long and short passages yet my composite verbal score still came to 160. I still panicked when I saw the long passages. I still guessed some of the answers. I only took the short passages, SEs and TCs seriously yet I did a good 4 marks better simply because of the TCs and SEs.

Notice I only did 1 better in the passage sections between both GREs. That is because it is harder to improve in that aspect than it is in the TCs & SEs. So instead of knocking your head trying to figure out how to crack 150+ just focus on the TCs, SEs and shorter passages. I give you the permission to randomly guess the answers to the longer passages if you are tired. Not only would you do 150+, if you are even lucky, you would do 160+.

Caveat: na just advice. No look for me if e no work o. grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:40pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

Hello, so I've taken my GRE so I think I can ask questions on here now. I wanted ask about the jobs market in Charlotte-Raleigh-Durham area. I'm seriously looking at Duke's Fuqua School of Business and chances for getting employers that could sponsor the H1B.

Also, any thoughts on diversity considerations when schools hand out admissions?

Share your GRE experience with us, then we can take it from there.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:
"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. We do not offer a terminal Master's degree. However, there are two mechanisms to enter our department for studies toward the Ph.D.:

1) You can apply directly to the Department of Biological Sciences. If accepted, you will complete 2-3 rotations with faculty in our department. This is a good option if you have a strong interest in one or several labs in our department and prefer a small, focused environment with maximum coursework flexibility. In your statement of interest, please indicate which laboratories (from the list of primary training faculty) particularly interest you.

2) Alternatively, you can enter the department of Biological Sciences at the end of the first year after applying through the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program (IGP). The IGP is a first-year admission program that includes 11 different departments and programs concentrating on the Biomedical Sciences. The Biological Sciences department is a member of the IGP program (the only department that is housed in Arts and Science, rather than the medical school). If you are accepted to the IGP program, you complete 4 rotations during the first year while taking coursework with the other IGP students (a large, overview course in the fall and smaller, focused courses in the spring). The rotations can be completed with anyone affiliated with the 11 different departments and programs (more than 200 faculty total). At the end of the first year, you join a lab and also join a specific graduate program to which that PI belongs (e.g. Biological Sciences)."

It's a lot. Would someone please be kind enough to make this clearer?
cc DreManuel, Scholastica16, Time2Smile ....pretty please?

What did you ask the Grad coord about?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 6:52pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16 Thanks so much. Will try again
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 7:04pm On Sep 01, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

While we await the seasoned fathers of the thread to come tend to this, I'd chip a little something in.... That you decided to write a second time shows how pertinacious you are! Keep that up, chief; it's.... sublime.

You sure know your GRE words!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 7:09pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

Share your GRE experience with us, then we can take it from there.
Oh okay,
I didn't do very good for my choice school.
I got 324 (Q:162 V:162), took the exam today so nothing yet on AWA.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 7:19pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

What did you ask the Grad coord about?
Departmental application requirements, and whether or not WES evaluation is required.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 7:21pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

You sure know your GRE words!
No be so, chief. Our fathers on here have advised to make the words a quotidian part of our existence. Besides, everyone on the thread knows these words.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 7:22pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

Oh okay,
Hehehe.... I sight a soon-to-be father on the thread!
Congrats, chief.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2017
Today I took the GRE a second time and I'm relieved it's over as I don't intend taking it again.I took the test for the first time July 3rd, I scored 309, 154v 155q,AWA 4.0. I was disappointed to say the least,it felt like all of my efforts were in vain. I put in a lot of work considering my schedule(I'm resident on a construction site and it's very stressful)and it was just a downer. When I left the exam hall that day I knew I wanted to retake the exam but I was thinking of the money I'll have to pay again, luckily for me a friend of mine graciously offered to pay for me( someone I've never met o). So I registered and decided to focus more on practice tests to build my stamina.Today's was significantly more difficult than my last and I can attribute it to my doing better on my first sections than I did during my last attempt. Honestly the second section of my quantitative was difficult, my hands were shaking throughout the whole thing. I was already afraid I was going to score poorly again.My experimental section was verbal too so I had to read those long passages urgggh, I eventually reported my scores( I actually covered my face, I was really nervous) opened it and saw 158v 158Q , while its 4 marks short of my ideal score, I'm just happy it isn't too bad and I can actually put the GRE behind me and move on to the next thing.
This thread really helped me, I got a lot of materials andI was also motivated by the great scores here. Saying a big thank you to rexcheeng for his encouragement too. I'm sorry if my writing is all over the place, I'm just writing as it comes to mind.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 7:32pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

Oh okay,
Those are great scores for any school o �

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2017
temmitats:
Today I took the GRE a second time and I'm relieved it's over as I don't intend taking it again.I took the test for the first time July 3rd, I scored 309, 154v 155q,AWA 4.0. I was disappointed to say the least,it felt like all of my efforts were in vain. I put in a lot of work considering my schedule(I'm resident on a construction site and it's very stressful)and it was just a downer. When I left the exam hall that day I knew I wanted to retake the exam but I was thinking of the money I'll have to pay again, luckily for me a friend of mine graciously offered to pay for me( someone I've never met o). So I registered and decided to focus more on practice tests to build my stamina.Today's was significantly more difficult than my last and I can attribute it to my doing better on my first sections than I did during my last attempt. Honestly the second section of my quantitative was difficult, my hands were shaking throughout the whole thing. I was already afraid I was going to score poorly again.My experimental section was verbal too so I had to read those long passages urgggh, I eventually reported my scores( I actually covered my face, I was really nervous) opened it and saw 158v 158Q , while its 4 marks short of my ideal score, I'm just happy it isn't too bad and I can actually put the GRE behind me and move on to the next thing.

This thread really helped me, I got a lot of materials andI was also motivated by the great scores here. Saying a big thank you to rexcheeng for his encouragement too. I'm sorry if my writing is all over the place, I'm just writing as it comes to mind.
@emboldened.... I crave this feeling.
Congratulations, miss!! Would you be kind to share the strategies you hired with us prospective takers?

Plus...
How did you figure out your experimental section?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2017
Congrats gokuu and temmitats
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

Oh okay,

Wow congrats. We have the same composite but different breakdowns.

Can you share with us your preparatory steps and how the tests went for you today? What materials you used and how long you prepared for?

You write like a proper grad student, So I would be surprised if you scored less than a 4.5 in your AWA.

And your scores are very good except MIT and co are involved.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

@emboldened.... I crave for this feeling.
Congratulations, miss!! Would you be kind to share the strategies you hired with us prospective takers?

Plus...

I used magoosh and Princeton to study, then Manhattan's 5LB book for questions.

You should revise all you have studied before going into the exam. I didn't do that and paid for it; my second section was extremely tough and some of the questions I missed were things that I had come across during study but had failed to revise.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2017
dawbbleOuEi:

@emboldened.... I crave for this feeling.

Plus...
I got three verbal sections so it is safe to say that's my experimental, I didn't bother finding out which of them was experimental during the test tho. As for tips, I'll suggest you do as many practice tests as possible and review all the questions after including the ones you got right. Try to solve all the questions in 5lb Manhattan too.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

Wow congrats. We have the same composite but different breakdowns.

Can you share with us your preparatory steps and how the tests went for you today? What materials you used and how long you prepared for?

You write like a proper grad student, So I would be surprised if you scored less than a 4.5 in your AWA.

And your scores are very good except MIT and co are involved.
Thanks.
That's where the problem lies. I was looking at MIT's MFin - the programme's online page says the mid-80 range for GRE Q is 163 - 170.

I'm really hoping I can get in as some kind of "diversity" candidate.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:53pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

TBH, the quality of school and nature of program can influence the H1B. With that in mind, even after having undergone the MBA Program (I presume this is what you are vying for) you can get great jobs outside of the state so you have nothing to be worried about.

Duke is even Ivy whereas MIT is not. Try your hands on NYU Stern's MBA Program as well if you are looking for other solid options. Someone I know got in July 2016 fully-funded with a $5000/month stipend to boot.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:56pm On Sep 01, 2017
gokuu:

Thanks.
That's where the problem lies. I was looking at MIT's MFin - the programme's online page says the mid-80 range for GRE Q is 163 - 170.

I'm really hoping I can get in as some kind of "diversity" candidate.

Nobody can say if it will be or not but your 162 I can guarantee, will not be the militating factor.

The problem with that "diversity" is that they may take someone from South Africa or Kenya as the African they needed to fulfill the diversity requirement simply because they may have 3.9/4.0 GPA which Unilag may not have given you.

The girl I know in my last post had 319 GRE and a 2.1 in GPA though I am not sure if she was a 4pter.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2017
temmitats:

Great score. You can do a lot with this provided you avoid the crazy top 15-20 schools. 316 is nothing to sneeze at as I doubt any school has anything higher than 315 as their base minimum.

Congrats.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 8:02pm On Sep 01, 2017
I registered early July and started preparations at that time; but my July prep was off and on. I ramped up in August.

I used Magoosh videos along with the Princeton's review.

The test today was quite scary; I was not sure I would get a good computer and keyboard (I usually get bad computers for things like this) hence my paranoia.

I was tense at first, but by the second essay I got more relaxed. I enjoyed the first Q and V extremely well; not so much for the second set. Both were brutal, especially the Quant - while I was familiar with most of the questions, they required longer calculations and I couldn't remember all the steps.

By the time the exam was done, I just wanted to get out of the hall.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 8:02pm On Sep 01, 2017
TheZed:
Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

TBH, the quality of school and nature of program can influence the H1B. With that in mind, even after having undergone the MBA Program (I presume this is what you are vying for) you can get great jobs outside of the state so you have nothing to be worried about.

Duke is even Ivy whereas MIT is not. Try your hands on NYU Stern's MBA Program as well if you are looking for other solid options. Someone I know got in July 2016 fully-funded with a $5000/month stipend to boot.

Exactly, some of these schools have close to 100% placement rates. I'm applying to the MFin not the MBA - I do not have the experience required for the MBA.
TBH, recruitment is my primary motivating force for applying to these schools; I'm really after the platform that comes with the school.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 8:19pm On Sep 01, 2017
TheZed:

Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temmitats(f): 8:24pm On Sep 01, 2017
Scholastica16:

Great score. You can do a lot with this provided you avoid the crazy top 15-20 schools. 316 is nothing to sneeze at as I doubt any school has anything higher than 315 as their base minimum.

Congrats.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gokuu(m): 8:27pm On Sep 01, 2017
temmitats:

Thank you.
@temmi, where are you looking to apply?

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.