Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (340) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348197 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GucciOluwa: 12:00pm On Feb 17, 2018
Good morning house.
It is a sad morning for me, I applied to five schools:
University of Wisconsin- PhD Phil
University of Cincinnati - PhD Phil
University of Connecticut - PhD Phil
Wayne state university -PhD Phil
University at Buffalo - MA/PhD Phil.
I was given admission for MA, university at Buffalo (zero funding ) with an assurance of PhD after one year if my grades are good.
I just received my first rejection from university of Cincinnati and I'm heartbroken.
The fact that I've seen two PhD admissions from university of Wisconsin on gradcafe further complicates my situation.
I'm beginning to regret not applying to more schools.
Does anyone know of schools that are still taking applications?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2018
TonyDeAnalyst:

How do u register. ETS site said it is $210 which is #75,600 But agents said they can register and give me study guide with #50,000. Please enlightened me.

By MAFIT will register you at 50k and they will give u free materials plus lectures. I don't know if anything has changed so far Sha...just Google by mafit

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donzizou: 1:21pm On Feb 17, 2018
@GucciOluwa

Sorry about everything... Rice University is still accepting, but its most important that you get a POI before applying to any school. Best of Luck!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 2:10pm On Feb 17, 2018
Just finished my GRE

Going for PhD in Medical Microbiology, Molecular Biology at SIU. Already spoke to a Professor who said I should write my GRE and get back to him. He said he will likely take one student in Fall 2018 and we have the same research interest.

VR - 150
QR - 147

Undergrad (Nigeria) - 3.10/5.0 (2.96/4.0) Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science

Postgrad (UK) - 70.67% (3.72/4.0) MSc Environmental and Public Health

Five peer-reviewed publications and over 4 years work experience in Nigeria and UK.

Any suggestion, advice etc?

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lala234: 2:26pm On Feb 17, 2018
Hello
Please I need a preparation partner for SAT TEST

Ilorin

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GucciOluwa: 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2018
donzizou:
@GucciOluwa

Sorry about everything... Rice University is still accepting, but its most important that you get a POI before applying to any school. Best of Luck!!!

My dear I did but got a generic reply that the admission board will handle applications but when I'm admitted it will be their pleasure (that kinda thing). For philosophy, rice university's deadline has passed.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by IstandWitBuhari: 3:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
zan1999:
Thank you for the robust response. My physics MSc thesis paper has been accepted in a peer review journal (Springer) but it is yet to be available online and I am currently putting my second paper together but GRE couple with work (Lecturing at a private university in Nigeria) are hindering its progress.
In addition, how reliable is "www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com" because their registration fee for GRE is 50K which is way cheaper than the official GRE registration fee ($205).

Thanks Boss for this information, please Sir, I received a half tuition waiver for PhD studies from my Supervisor in Canada. Now, I applied for Ptdf scholarship but it seems this years ptdf scholarship is restricted to China, Germany, France.
My dream Country is Canada and I already have a supervisor whom I have been in constant communication with for 6months now. My admission letter will be out soon by the grace of God.
Please what do you suggest I do, is it possible to use my half tuition waived Admission letter to my advantage to secure the Ptdf scholarship and still go to Canada?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2018
Credit to femi312

There is this saying that says ''If we don't fight we have failed, but if we fight we can either fail or succeed''. So forget the tuition part for now and put in some work. First, you need to decide on the course you want to study, To save you some stress start from this website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, So step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools using a)www.msinus.com (open this website with a laptop, you should see a list of school and ranking for some of the most common courses, you can start from there b)www.gradschools.com c)www.google.com (you can just type 'msc in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e) www.4icu.org . 3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the information you need about the exam on the website. You will get adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox I createdhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0 

TOEFL is an English test required by some US universities. though, some schools waive due to the fact that Nigeria is an Anglophone country.
For toefl, all you need are the speaking noteful videos in the link below, the ets toefl guide is enough to ace the exam for other sections. Just download the toefl ETS Guide from there website and the simulation test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45tvc3ifi8wh8sh/AACXR5j6l3nsWK8vZx5P28TVa?dl=0 

As for the Tuition, if you have good results (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and funding opportunities, be very explicit.

Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring (Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its advisable you plan towards Fall 2018. If you plan to resume in fall 2018, make sure you submit all your application documents before ending of Dec 2017. If you don't give it a trial, you will never know.My philosophy in life is to always do my part, with that I don't get to regret later. Above all, if you believe in God,pray to him..if not, good for you.

adesbaba:
Hi family..

I am a bsc accounting degree holder,2:2 grade...works in a bank,wld love to further my studies MSC accounting/finance or an MBA abroad...I considered Germany,Cyprus bfr cos of cheap studies and fear of GRE ....but now with these testimonies ,am having a second thought....

1.With my grade,can I get admission to USA with funding

2..What intake should I be looking towards to for admission application

3..What's the average months to prepare for GRE

4..Any suggested school's

Thanks n success to all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:39pm On Feb 18, 2018
GucciOluwa:
Good morning house.
I was given admission for MA, university at Buffalo (zero funding ) with an assurance of PhD after one year if my grades are good.
I just received my first rejection from university of Cincinnati and I'm heartbroken.
The fact that I've seen two PhD admissions from university of Wisconsin on gradcafe further complicates my situation.

Don’t be crestfallen. Atimes there are early decisions from schools to their first choice or early bird applicants. Does not necessarily mean the journey is over.

Some schools have 2 rounds of admissions and funding -sometimes- depending on if the first round guys opted for other schools. It is usually the case.

Just be optimistic. Admission seasons go unpredictably most times. You tender an app, hope and pray.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:43pm On Feb 18, 2018
jelmusboy:
Just finished my GRE

Going for PhD in Medical Microbiology, Molecular Biology at SIU. Already spoke to a Professor who said I should write my GRE and get back to him. He said he will likely take one student in Fall 2018 and we have the same research interest.

VR - 150
QR - 147

Undergrad (Nigeria) - 3.10/5.0 (2.96/4.0) Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science

Postgrad (UK) - 70.67% (3.72/4.0) MSc Environmental and Public Health

Five peer-reviewed publications and over 4 years work experience in Nigeria and UK.

Any suggestion, advice etc?

The GRE is slightly weak but the truth is a Prof who wants to work with you will hardly care. GRE is still not a fair or accurate means of predicting those who will likely succeed in research. They are mutually exclusive things.

Just reach out again to him with the score and sell the hell-out of your peer reviewed publications. The truth is, those pull more weight than GRE scores when it comes to wooing Profs who need PhDs.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nanyiaxxx(m): 12:05am On Feb 19, 2018
Please who knows if masters in education usually have funding
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by adesbaba: 2:54pm On Feb 19, 2018
aamstih:
Credit to femi312

There is this saying that says ''If we don't fight we have failed, but if we fight we can either fail or succeed''. So forget the tuition part for now and put in some work. First, you need to decide on the course you want to study, To save you some stress start from this website http://graddecision.org/ to know the application process, So step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools using a)www.msinus.com (open this website with a laptop, you should see a list of school and ranking for some of the most common courses, you can start from there b)www.gradschools.com c)www.google.com (you can just type 'msc in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e) www.4icu.org . 3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the information you need about the exam on the website. You will get adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox I createdhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0 

TOEFL is an English test required by some US universities. though, some schools waive due to the fact that Nigeria is an Anglophone country.
For toefl, all you need are the speaking noteful videos in the link below, the ets toefl guide is enough to ace the exam for other sections. Just download the toefl ETS Guide from there website and the simulation test.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45tvc3ifi8wh8sh/AACXR5j6l3nsWK8vZx5P28TVa?dl=0 

As for the Tuition, if you have good results (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and funding opportunities, be very explicit.

Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring (Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its advisable you plan towards Fall 2018. If you plan to resume in fall 2018, make sure you submit all your application documents before ending of Dec 2017. If you don't give it a trial, you will never know.My philosophy in life is to always do my part, with that I don't get to regret later. Above all, if you believe in God,pray to him..if not, good for you.

Thanks a lot bro....U inspired me...my fear as always bn passing high the GRE cos its expensive... What intake should I look forward to?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aamstih: 7:52pm On Feb 19, 2018
Read the post again, and gently then let us which intake you think would be best for you. Cheers

adesbaba:

Thanks a lot bro....U inspired me...my fear as always bn passing high the GRE cos its expensive... What intake should I look forward to?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gbolly4unow: 12:37am On Feb 20, 2018
Don't loose hope yet. Can you share your profile for proper advice?

GucciOluwa:
Good morning house.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by callontolu: 8:24am On Feb 20, 2018
smoothblaise:
I have Magoosh premium account with two months access want to share the cost writh one or two people
. I'm interested
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jobinassam: 10:17am On Feb 20, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mymzo48: 7:15am On Feb 21, 2018
Good day house,
I intend applying for Msc in Economics.I am new to this GRE thing.please I need advices on schools to choose and when to apply in order to get funding. I need advices from experienced colleagues. Thanks in anticipation of your responce
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MonsieurCoder: 9:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
Why is this place suddenly cold? I am sure a lot of decisions have been made by now. Please you all should share, there is a lot we can all learn, whether it's good news or bad news.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
Most of the schools I applied to have not gotten back to me. Most of them had January 15th deadline. I am also guessing that my applications were too close to the deadline. For instance, I applied to Texas A &M , College Station before December 20th.
I have seen some decisions from TAMU for PhD Mechanical Engineering on gradcafe. Same with RPI.Most of them applied really early. I am still hopeful though. I applied to 8 schools. I could have applied to more. Some People on gradcafe applied to as many as 15. Lol.
MonsieurCoder:
Why is this place suddenly cold? I am sure a lot of decisions have been made by now. Please you all should share, there is a lot we can all learn, whether it's good news or bad news.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MonsieurCoder: 9:32pm On Feb 21, 2018
Quoran:
Most of the schools I applied to have not gotten back to me. Most of them had January 15th deadline. I am also guessing that my applications were too close to the deadline. For instance, I applied to Texas A &M , College Station before December 20th.
I have seen some decisions from TAMU for PhD Mechanical Engineering on gradcafe. Same with RPI.Most of them applied really early. I am still hopeful though. I applied to 10 schools. I could have applied to more. Some People on gradcafe applied to as many as 15. Lol.

Thanks for the update. Good luck with all the pending decisions. I really hope they come good for you. Please keep the house updated.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:43pm On Feb 21, 2018
Sure I will. Thanks for the good wishes. I wish you the same too.
MonsieurCoder:

Thanks for the update. Good luck with all the pending decisions. I really hope they come good for you. Please keep the house updated.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2018
Quoran:
I won't call them interviews really. More like informal chats with Professors on Skype. For the ones I applied to recently, no one has scheduled any interview with me yet though I have seen a couple of admission decisions from two of the schools on gradcafe.
bro,what kinds of questions were you asked? just a hint would do, thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
They just wanted to know my research interests and experience. They basically went through my CV and they asked questions on it. They also want to know your future plans, what you aim to achieve from your research. If it is a studentship, the questions will be more specific as it relates to the specific project. Nothing deep as such, just to make sure you're an ideal candidate.The aim of most of these interviews is to find if you're a good fit for their research group/lab/work. I hope this helps you. All the best.
calculator123:
bro,what kinds of questions were you asked? just a hint would do, thanks in advance

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by briliantsak(m): 8:25am On Feb 23, 2018
I got into University of Florida (direct PhD) few days ago, still awaiting fellowship result in couple of weeks. I discussed with a supervisor before applying for admission, she asked me to select her as my advisor... which I actually did during application. Buh when I got the admission letter, they've changed my advisor to another person...who happens to be a senior colleague to the former advisor and he's even the PhD program coordinator for the program. I contacted him and we discuss about funding... he asked me to get back to him in couple of weeks for the fellowship result.

Hoping and praying sha...
Thanks Scholastica16, Ponpon, annexplus, and others

Thou I v fully funded direct PhD in HK already, buh US is kinda better.

13 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by YoungTesla: 10:47am On Feb 23, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 10:58am On Feb 23, 2018
Congrats@briliantsak.
briliantsak:
I got into University of Florida (direct PhD) few days ago, still awaiting fellowship result in couple of weeks. I discussed with a supervisor before applying for admission, she asked me to select her as my advisor... which I actually did during application. Buh when I got the admission letter, they've changed my advisor to another person...who happens to be a senior colleague to the former advisor and he's even the PhD program coordinator for the program. I contacted him and we discuss about funding... he asked me to get back to him in couple of weeks for the fellowship result.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 11:02am On Feb 23, 2018
Update from my Georgia Tech application
They told me to get RA from a faculty before April 15 or else my application will be declined. No faculty has agreed yet to take me.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 11:03am On Feb 23, 2018
Quoran has said it all. Just be confident.
Quoran:
They just wanted to know my research interests and experience. They basically went through my CV and they asked questions on it. They also want to know your future plans, what you aim to achieve from your research. If it is a studentship, the questions will be more specific as it relates to the specific project. Nothing deep as such, just to make sure you're an ideal candidate.The aim of most of these interviews is to find if you're a good fit for their research group/lab/work. I hope this helps you. All the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by briliantsak(m): 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2018
smallsuper:
Update from my Georgia Tech application
They told me to get RA from a faculty before April 15 or else my application will be declined. No faculty has agreed yet to take me.

Don't relax yet bro... Keep pushing, April is almost here.

Between, Louisiana State University is there (Winks)...and you're still expecting others. (All the best)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:58pm On Feb 23, 2018
University of Florida is a big one sir, congratulations!!!!! What's your profile?
briliantsak:

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:59pm On Feb 23, 2018
YoungTesla:
Hi guys, this is to prospective GRE/TOEFL registrants pls stay away from B.Y Mafit for now. I registered with this certain coy on the Feb 13 and I’m yet to get the payment confirmation order on my account.

I explained to them why they needed to register me ASAP to get March 3 exam date for the Lagos centers, simply cos the deadline for application to the school I’m applying is March 15.

I told them I need a refund to find another means, cos the Abuja center is still open for March 3 and 10, they keep telling me to be patient and lose out on ur Abuja centers too?

P:S This is not a campaign of calumny, it’s based on my unpleasant experience with them. I’ve heard good things about them, but they are messed up at the moment.

In case you want to re-register I'll register you for 45k

(1) (2) (3) ... (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.