Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352433 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 3:01pm On Sep 22, 2015
ETS has debited my account without sending a tracking code and/or the 'THANK YOU' display; both of which indicate a successful application for the GRE exam. Please Guys, what should I do? I have mailed them but no response since the mail was sent more than 24 hours ago?

I paid via Paypal
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 22, 2015
Kudos to everyone. May God reward each and every one of you. You are indeed doing a great and wondeful job here. Plz add me to the fb group
skyescrapper@rocketmail.com. Thx in advance.
I intend to take both toefl and GRE next year. I need a mentor
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 10:33am On Sep 23, 2015
[quote author=rogerdavid post=38270308]ETS has debited my account without sending a tracking code and/or the 'THANK YOU' display; both of which indicate a successful application for the GRE exam. Please Guys, what should I do? I have mailed them but no response since the mail was sent more than 24 hours ago?

I paid via Paypal[/quote

i would advice tou to call their headquarters in US. check the numbrt on ets website.
wen did you pay?
w
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2015
[quote author=bamjay post=38296517][/quote]

thanks bamjay. I have done just that. Paid two days ago. No solution to the problem yet but I was asked to call back in two days time.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 7:29pm On Sep 23, 2015
marqueetim:
Funding depends on the school. But I wunt settle for less..Will retake this month or early next month..

Marqueetim, how many options were you given in the analytical writing part of your GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2015
Marqueetim, how many options were you given in the analytical writing part of your GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 7:32pm On Sep 23, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by marqueetim(m): 8:09pm On Sep 23, 2015
Don't get you. It has always been one question each for issue and analytical tasks.
rogerdavid:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmyluvly(m): 9:12pm On Sep 23, 2015
I appreciate the good work you all are doing especially the Op. God bless you all for your time and efforts. Please I need the materials. emmastar4Christ@yahoo.com.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:23am On Sep 24, 2015
bamjay:
aite...i did the GRE.scores were not so impressive but wanted to drop this here.
AW-4.5
VR-154
QR-153
i didn't study for long(less than two months) so i know the scores could have been better.
i used a lot of materials doing the short study period and wld b glad to entertain questions.

Bro, you did well jare. Three gun shots for you joor #gbosa #gbosa #gbosa. Can you please share your experience and success tips?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:25am On Sep 24, 2015
paulbets:
Am sorry I am writing this now.
I have been in the wilderness where am serving.
This is my Experience on the GRE general test which I took on the 22nd of August 2015 at the Galaxy uniprep Center, Abuja.
I had exactly two months to prepare for the test, but as usual I was preoccupied with many stuffs to do.

On the Verbal, I studied only the ETS official verbal reasoning practice book.... Lucky for me it was easy to read and I was able to finish the book within 2 days (about 2 weeks before my test date) (it might also interest you that 2 weeks before my test date I had verbal 156 and quantitative 154 on the ETS Power Prep practice). I also Downloaded the GRE app from playstore on my android, and used it to practice for the vocabulary (though I didn't see any word there on the test day). Well in the end, on the actual test, I managed to score 151 on the verbal section.

Forward to the Quantitative, I studied the Manhattan-8-study-guide series (I actually completed all the quant series of the study guide) and Nova (though I didn't read more than 4 chapters there, it was helpful). These two books were really helpful. Well in the end, on the actual test I managed to score 155 on the Quantitative section.

The Analytical Writing was the section I never took serious, I studied the A.W sampled answers included in the ETS official verbal reasoning book 2 days before the actual test day. On the test day, I didn't even know what to write on the Argument Task... I was just looking at the computer screen. Well I scored 3.0

My advice:
The GRE is really hard? Agreed., but one can really score well with intensive study. So if you have plan to write the test, give yourself enough time to prepare. Strong Preparation is really Key to High GRE score. The above materials that I used are really good GRE book, so use them in addition to your other materials and study. study. study. study. You will be just fine. Goodluck

God bless you for sharing this.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:26am On Sep 24, 2015
bamjay:

thank you
1.wow.thats a big question. I used lots of materials i got from the GRE facebook group. i used the ETS official guide on VR abd QR. I used Manhattan, Barron, Grubber, Kaplan's AW pool, Mathematics strategies, powerprep II, Magoosh app(reaply helped to learn new words),etc.dem plenty o…i didnt really have time to thoroughly study all the books but I skimmed through them, worked on my weakpoints and practiced a lot.
2. my strategy was DIVIDE and CONQUER. i only had a few weeks to prepare..say six or seven weeks. i had a study plan for each day. devoted about five to six hours daily for GRE. the thing is gre would appear strange at first but you have to continue practicing and get familiar with it.even if na zero you dey get for the practice questions just keep on at it till you improve. practice as many questions as u can. if u score high on a particular question dont get all excited about how you've blasted GRE.make the tin no go shock you like DVD oo.lol.
3. i recommend that u plan well ahead of time before u take the gre. this would help you plan your study time wella.d thing is we want to do everything almost at once and in such a short time at that.it happened to me and made me to crash read. for the VR, familiarisw urself with the GRE words.make them a part of your regular vocabulary.this is why you need lots of tine to prepare. u know say if you cram plenty unfamiliar words at the same time na plane crash be that o and plane crash dey hardly get survivirs ooo.*winks*
4.my mistakes were majorly due to improper planning, inadequate study time...i guess thats it.

but if you aint got so much time before the exam just crash read but be smart about it. do not go and cram new words for six straigjt hours all in the name of cradh reading. dat would be tantamous to reading a dictionary o.you could use two hours for QR.use two for VR and maybe one for AW. u you could take breaks in between.like for me i watched movies in between my study plans. i cooked. i joked around. all na to reduce the tesion amd smoke o. i no fit kill myself o..so like i said, if you got little time to prepare , crash read but be smart about it.

GRE takers..remember to BREATHE..goodluck yall.

Thank you for sharing your experience. God bless you bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:28am On Sep 24, 2015
paulbets:
Yes Boss, Fall 2016 all the way. Getting a supervisor has not been easy, and constructing a strong SOP and statement of research has been tough for me (Don't even know where to start from yet and I want it to be kinda perfect... imagine). I have shortlisted lists of schools but na to craft this SOP and SOR remain. I can use ur help honestly...

Start here https://admissionsource./2007/07/26/successful-essays/
Although its mostly computer science based, it would help you with crafting a well balanced essay.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:29am On Sep 24, 2015
pascal2young:

seems we are on the same boat

This might help you: https://admissionsource./2007/07/26/successful-essays/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:31am On Sep 24, 2015
handlernoni:
My email for d facebook group invitation: adekola306@yahoo.com

Done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:33am On Sep 24, 2015
Walexwal:
please did me to the group crowncomehome@Facebook.com

Done, but am not certain if your @facebook email will work o. If it doesn't work, pls post your facebook email or send me a pm with your facebook email if you are concerned about your privacy.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:35am On Sep 24, 2015
godG:

Thanks, baba mi.

Boss i greet u o! I dey amelika now o. U fit pm me your number make i holla you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:38am On Sep 24, 2015
happyday:
Hello House,
Seeing how much I have benefited from this great thread, I think it would be unfair on me if I just come here, get what I want to get, and just leave!
People, please let's weigh in, more than just silently reading and withholding valuable info.
That's by the way, though.
With GRE less than 2 months away, I know I'm still learning and not where I need to be yet, in terms of my target scores but here's goes nothing:
VERBAL SECTION :
Being a non native speaker may be a downside a little, but I have read of Americans and test takers with English as their third language scoring 169 / 170 on the Verbal section!
By and large, most of them adopted different strategies and laid claims to various factors owing to their successes. But most of their advice seems to intersect at these 2 major points :
1. The Blind Review : I tested it and I can tell you it works. Blind review simply means identifying your weaknesses and working on them.

As a case study, I answered the first 42 questions on the Manhattan GRE Comprehension Passage section, timed. I ended up with a measly score of 23.
Time taken: 53 minutes, meaning an average of a Min and some seconds per question.

Since the score was really below par, I forgot about the time and decided to focus attention on the quality vis a vis how to improve my score in answering Passage questions.
I went through the answer guide provided in the MGRE, and for each question I missed, I identified the REAL reason I missed it. (I guess this is the most important, and also the most difficult aspect of the blind review.)

For instance, a question skin me to identify the author's primary purpose for writing the passage tricked me into choosing my option, based on the first paragraph Only.
So, while reviewing this question, I wrote it down why I missed it - I focused ONLY on the first paragraph.

Then, I wrote down what to do to avoid making similar mistake next time -
1. Skim through each paragraph, getting an idea of how each paragraph links to the next.
2. Go through the answer choices, and convince myself why FOUR choices are wrong, and the one left is the correct option.

I know this is kind of abstract, even to myself right now, but what matters is being able to apply it when answering questions.

Activity : Block out 2 hours of your time, and answer 30 passage questions from the MGRE. Note the time, but satisfy yourself. You need to understand this concept first, and then you can later work on your timing.

Never pick an option for a question Unless you are 100% sure why the option is correct. Thus, we are removing guess work. If you are unable to answer a question convincingly, circle the number and move on.

When you are through, go through the explanations. I have found most of them to be helpful, ensure you know why they chose the option they chose before moving on to the next question.

For the ones you got right, still go through the explanations to make sure you got them right for the right reasons.

After this session, take a break and repeat the same passage 24 hours later or more.
Same 30 questions, and same rule : Don't pick an option unless you are perfectly sure of it.

Mark your work again, and don't worry if you still missed out on some questions.
Repeat the blind review again, and make a note of your mistakes and how you plan to avoid them next time.

2. Vocabulary : We need to talk about this, though most of us wish we can avoid to do away with it. Most perfect scorers I have seen focused on :
a. Building up their vocabulary and
b. Reading dense articles, aka those ones that we won't save on our bookmarks.

For a., I suggest taking the Vocabulary test in Grubber, 2 at a time.
Mark your work afterwards, and do a a blind review, looking up the meanings of words you don't know.
Write our the worst and attach mnemonics with them.
E. G Ambulances are actually needed by non ambulatory persons. (keyword is Ambulatory).

For b., quickly Google "Christopher Hitchens Atlantic monthly" and you will get a dose of what you need to prep for the GRE.
Especially his tirade on "The real Mahatma Ghandi".

One million naira to your account for this amazing contribution. God bless you immensely for this.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:40am On Sep 24, 2015
femi321:
So i took the GRE On Aug 22 at The French Connection Lekki and got 307 (Verbal 148, Quant 159, AW 3. My Experience: I registered to take the GRE initially on July 2 but had to postpone with 10k5 because of my Sister's Wedding distractions. I studied for like 5months on and off because of the stress of working in Lagos ( Wake up 4:30am to go to work and get back home 10:30pm min Mon - Friday.). It was not easy. I studied with many materials like Barron, KAplan, ETS guides, Nova GRE and Manhantan. For Quant i used Nova, Manhantan,ETS 150 Quant Questions and ETS official Guide. For Verbal I used Barron, ETS Official Guide and ETS 150 Verbal Questions..Analytical i used Only Kaplan and i had to learn like 900 new words. 1 week to the test i started practicing for AW which showed in my score because my concentration was on Quant to get min of 166 (Engineering Graduate)..On the test day i got the French Connection like 1hr:30mins to the start time,had to stroll around. When it was exactly 20mins to the start time i went to the 3rd/2nd floor (Cant remember exact floor) where French Connection is located, did the necessary registration, filled a form and i was shown a work station to take the test. We were like 10 in total taking the test at that time and venue..My first test was Analytical writing..i managed to write 4 'nonsense' paragraphs for the issue task and 4 'ok' paragraphs for the argument task. then came the first Verbal and the passages were just like greek..very dense..i managed to finish even though i wasn't that sure of my answers. The next Test was Quant which was my favorite..i did my best and i moved on...i can remember when i took the Standard 10 mins break, after the timer finished counting my test didn't start automatically, i got scared but composed myself and i raised my hand to signal to the instructor because we weren't meant to talk,no asking of instructions from the instructor accept you have any hardware problem. Inshort i did 3 Verbals and 2 Quants. At the end i reported my score,sent it the 4schools. I was kind of sad for the quant Score because from what i did that day i feel the questions were cheap and i should have had like 166 but then man wont know the silly mistakes he might have made. After the test i was given a Malt, Pringles and chips. I wanted to retake the test to at least get >320 but after spending 51k on GRE and thinking of another 40k again for another GRE i felt the best thing to raise my profile is to take TOEFL and aim for >100 since GRE is not the only Criteria for admission and funding, so i am in the process of preparing for TOEFL, Writing and EXCELLENT SOP and school Search.

My Advice from my Experience: For Quant all you need is Nova GRE,ETS 150 Quant Questions and Manhanatan...For Verbal: Both ETS official guide is a mostand you can add Barron. For AW: Kaplan, Kaplan, Kaplan..All i did to get 3 was to cram the paragraphs opening in Kaplan..imagine if i had prepared well..i could have gotten above 4...Practice for at least 3 months continuously not my own on and off type. I feel the best time to practice for GRE is during NYSC..those days are always free..Invest it so you don't have to start struggling to read after NYSC, perhaps who knows you might have a job taking your time too. My own NYSC days was basically used for learning software and career development..i dont have any regret though.

P.S. Kindly ignore any grammatical mistake, Spelling error..i had no time to prove read..let me go back to my research on Schools and TOEFl Preparation. @DanjaNinja please i am seriously waiting for that your thread on 'Admission Process and Advice'..i don't mind if you can send the little you might have written to me personally..I need it urgntly because I plan to submit Completed application to 6 schools latest Nov Ending so that i can stand a good chance of Funding, Cheers

God bless you for sharing this. We are grateful.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:46am On Sep 24, 2015
Jumybecks:
Kudos to everyone. May God reward each and every one of you. You are indeed doing a great and wondeful job here. Plz add me to the fb group
skyescrapper@rocketmail.com. Thx in advance.
I intend to take both toefl and GRE next year. I need a mentor

Done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:57am On Sep 24, 2015
sirRiddy:
I called you greedy cos you have started monetizing whatever assistance you want to give here. You clearly stated that you would give him e books at a cost. Mind you, I can categorically say that there is no single GRE resource you want to give him that is not floating all over the internet. Are you ETS or a GRE prep company? If you want to do business, leave the thread and do that in the ads section. Who cares about who you helped? I do not know you, neither do you know me. I reacted based on what you wrote. Your monetized resource does not guarantee nothing to anyone. The success depends on the individual.
And stop all this Nigeria cliche thing. Conduct yourself better in future posts on the thread as this thread means a lot to a lot of test takers.
Cc DanjaNinja

Thanks bro, you took the words out of my mouth. I am so glad this thread is making so much progress in my absence. I will write a response of my own shortly. Keep up the good work bro. God bless u.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:35am On Sep 24, 2015
DanjaNinja:

God bless you for sharing this. We are grateful.
Amen! you started the good work, the least we can do is to come back here is share ours. Whatsup with the other thread about Admision you are planing?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 9:09am On Sep 24, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Bro, you did well jare. Three gun shots for you joor #gbosa #gbosa #gbosa. Can you please share your experience and success tips?

thanks DanjaNinja but i be girl o grin
i already dropped my experience in another post.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pascal2young(m): 10:09am On Sep 24, 2015
DanjaNinja:

This might help you: https://admissionsource./2007/07/26/successful-essays/
thanks boss.....i appreciate......
anyone here writing GRE tomorrow @jepthah ph?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 1:01pm On Sep 24, 2015
DanjaNinja, all these seem to me like the collection of the most valuable posts we have had on the thread in recent times. Really helpful reading some of them all over again. Good job Man!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmyluvly(m): 2:19pm On Sep 24, 2015
Please add me to the Facebook page. emmastar4Christ@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 3:05pm On Sep 24, 2015
Hello House, I wrote the GRE exam 2 weeks ago.

Preparation: I read on and off since January. I kept on procrastinating on when to write the exam, so I wasn't serious with studies. I became serious 3 months ago. In July, I started building my vocabulary with Magoosh Android app, Gruber 3400 word list and some Hit parades I saw online. I judiciously studied for QR during this period with the Manhattan 8lbs book series (My overall Best Prep Book). I was reluctant to study the AW, even to look up the pool online. I didn't use the POWER PREP at all.

Registration: I eventually registered 2 weeks to my exam date. I immediately became very serious with my studies (eat, study, eat study, eat, study, sleep!). I registered using Paypal. I studied the ETS QR and VR books of questions after registration. 2 days before the exam, I read kaplan for the essay strategies, coupled with their sample essays with scores of 6. I also watched "magoosh wednesday vocabs with Chris" and other GRE videos on youtube.

Test Day: Arrived French Connection (Lagos) by past 9 am. This was due to traffic Jam (I left my abode Iyana Isolo by 6am). after all the necessary checks at the center, I started my exam. The exam was tricky (all the sections). But I noticed the 2nd sections of both QR and VR were harder. I became tensed towards the end of the exam 'cause of the tough questions and limited time remaining. I just quickly guessed (I carefully looked at the answers before each guess).

After the test, I saw my scores and sent them to 4 schools. I came out, ate the pringles and malt I was offered right there at the center before going home.

Summary: As the previous contributors said, scoring high in the GRE is doable, It just requires intense practice. Register about 1 month to your exam date. It will make you more serious with studies. 3 - 6 months is best for preparation (don't prepare for too long).
MY score: QR160, V152, AW4

Thank You DanjaNinja, SirRiddy, and all others for your immense morale during my preparations. smiley

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 5:49pm On Sep 24, 2015
Kapitain:
Hello House, I wrote the GRE exam 2 weeks ago.

Preparation: I read on and off since January. I kept on procrastinating on when to write the exam, so I wasn't serious with studies. I became serious 3 months ago. In July, I started building my vocabulary with Magoosh Android app, Gruber 3400 word list and some Hit parades I saw online. I judiciously studied for QR during this period with the Manhattan 8lbs book series (My overall Best Prep Book). I was reluctant to study the AW, even to look up the pool online. I didn't use the POWER PREP at all.

Registration: I eventually registered the 2 weeks to my exam date. I immediately became very serious with my studies (eat, study, eat study, eat, study, sleep!). I registered using Paypal. I studied the ETS QR and VR books of questions after registration. 2 days before the exam, I read kaplan for the essay strategies, coupled with their sample essays with scores of 6. I also watched "magoosh wednesday vocabs with Chris" and other GRE videos on youtube.

Test Day: Arrived French Connection (Lagos) by past 9 am. This was due to traffic Jam (I left my abode Iyana Isolo by 6am). after all the necessary checks at the center, I started my exam. The exam was tricky (all the sections). But I noticed the 2nd sections of both QR and VR were harder. I became tensed towards the end of the exam 'cause of the tough questions and limited time remaining. I just quickly guessed (I carefully looked at the answers before each guess).

After the test, I saw my scores and sent them to 4 schools. I came out, ate the pringles and malt I was offered right there at the center before going home.

Summary: As the previous contributors said, scoring high in the GRE is doable, It just requires intense practice. Register about 1 month to your exam date. It will make you more serious with studies. 3 - 6 months is best for preparation (don't prepare for too long).
MY score: QR160, V152, AW4

Thank You DanjaNinja, SirRiddy, and all others for your immense morale during my preparations. smiley

Wow! Congratulations broda cool smiley

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 6:16pm On Sep 24, 2015
Cephas0009:

Wow! Congratulations broda cool smiley
More thanks to the thread advisors.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 24, 2015
Kapitain:
More thanks to the thread advisors.
congrats on your score. How difficult would you opine the quant was?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rogerdavid: 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2015
congrats Kapitain
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Kapitain(m): 8:59pm On Sep 24, 2015
stolid:

congrats on your score. How difficult would you opine the quant was?

I got 3 Quant sections, the first was as difficult as the medium set of Manhattan questions, the others were as hard as the difficult practice set in Manhattan.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.