Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350894 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kacey007: 7:37pm On Apr 19, 2018
Quoran:
Yes, I will advice you retake the GRE. Mathematics programs are usually funded in most top/medium schools I have seen. You have a good GPA and that's a strong point already. Just improve your scores. I guess you're going for Spring /Fall 2019?
Thanks for the advice. Yes am for spring/fall 2019

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 8:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
Pls house, how much will it cost to re write GRE due to low score
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fortune29: 8:54pm On Apr 19, 2018
Shanid:
Pls house, how much will it cost to re write GRE due to low score

You simply need to register for a new one which is to take place at least 21 days after the preceding test. $205
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 19, 2018
fortune29:

You simply need to register for a new one which is to take place at least 21 days after the preceding test. $205

How can one register?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GraceJoks: 9:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
Good evening, I have been an ardent reader of posts on this platform and I have benefitted immensely from it. I wrote the Gre in January. However, I didn't apply to four schools because of lack of funds. I am yet to receive response from Central Michigan University regarding funding but I have been admitted. I will like to seek your advice about other schools for msc statistics (fall 2019) that I can apply to based on my profile. Thank you.

BSc- Mathematics/Statistics
Cgpa- 4.42/5 , Wes (3.81/4)
Gre- Q-156, Verbal- 150, AWA- 3.5

Time2Smile, Scholarstica , I need your contribution and advice on this. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:31pm On Apr 19, 2018
GeeRaoult:
...the altruistic services of the ilks of Sirreddy, Danninja, Time2Smile, Happyday etc. I want to specially appreciate Otorhope for also giving me the drive that I need to push during my downtime.

I hope to give the GRE a shot by June 27, 2018. I look forward to sharing my experience just like the primogenitors of this forum did for posterity to have something to hold onto.

All the best, and don't forget to take full length practice tests to simulate the real exam.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 10:36pm On Apr 19, 2018
Congratulations bro. I've followed your journey and I'm so happy about the outcome. You have shown persistence and tenacity. I wish you the best. Enjoy your stay in America.

Quoran:
So I think it is the right time to share my complete testimony smiley

I have been following this thread since 2015 though as a guest. I had a lot of misconceptions about getting PhD admissions. I thought you must get a supervisor before you apply. I also did not know that it was possible to get funding for one's research as an international student. It is all about getting the right information and taking time to research on different schools. I also learned that the key is to start really early and mail professors. I sent mails to more than 100 Professors!( I kid you not!). Finally I took the bull by the horn and applied to many schools.

This is my profile:
1)Mechanical Engineering B.Eng 3.3/4 (Top Nigerian University)
2)Masters degree Top UK Mechanical Engineering (3.6/4 Unofficial WES evaluation. Two Professors from different schools told me during the skype interview that my CGPA was 3.58 and 3.7 respectively. What that means is that different schools have their own ways of evaluation but the different is not so significant.)
3)No publications but I showed evidence of work in progress.
4)GRE scores -First Attempt 303, Maths 153 ,Verbal 150 , AW -3.5.
GRE scores -Second Attempt 327, Maths 166,Verbal 161,A.W -4.0.

5)My work experience is mostly research based .I do not know if that helped in anyway.

Schools I applied to:
Texas A and M, College station- Accepted with Funding
Stanford University- Rejected nicely angry
University of California, Berkeley- Waitlisted since 1920 grin
Michigan Tech- accepted with research assistantship
University of Alabama - Accepted
RPI- Accepted with Teaching assistantship.
Oregon State- Accepted in both Mechanical and Industrial Engineering programs.
George Washington- Pending;No decision yet.
University of Virginia- Pending;No decision yet.I suspect my application is on the waitlist.
Washington State University- Accepted; Teaching Assistantship is assured after the 1st semester.

Most schools have a deadline of April 15th to accept offers. I have opted for TAMU, College Station.

My GPA is not spectacular but from what I understand, my Masters degree thesis is a strong area of research that attract alot of funding. The reputation of my masters degree supervisor helped me alot. He is a well known expert in my field.He has over 200 publications and some patents.He wrote superb letters of recommendation for me also. Then, I put in my best in the skype interviews I had. I also spent time drafting my statement of purpose. Then God did the rest- Crowned my effort with success.

Tips and advice

1)Use Quora and Linkedin well. On Quora,I met alot of Professors there. They answer questions on what goes on among the graduate committee. I found students on Quora and Linkedin who told me about admission and funding. I follow a Nigerian guy on Quora who is an expert in graduate admissions. He helped me a great deal. He also told me of this forum. I initially thought he was the same scholastica16 here lol.

2)From my own observation, apply early. Some Professors pick their students early and try to extract some form of commitment especially if they will fund you.

3)If a school has rolling admissions, the probability that you will be funded is low. Beware of schools that offer free applications.

4)Different schools have their own ways of admitting students. Some will not admit you if they do not have funds. Some wont admit you when there is no supervisor. Just find out.
5)Contacting Professors on time helps. One told me that he will look for my application when they start screening. When I mailed him later, He told me that my application is good but that there were stronger applicants in the pool shocked
6)When you mail a Professor, do not write an episode. They will most likely not read it. Be brief. I have tested this many times.
7)Try as much as possible to use official email addresses or even your school email. It helps kind off. Professors receive loads of emails.
coolNetwork and search different school forums. You can attend webinars and you will get classic information. Use gradcafe also.
9) For PhD, read and at least know the basics and various research areas. Also try and be flexible.

I hope this helps someone. You are free to ask me questions here. Unfortunately, I have limited access to my nairaland email. Unto the next level- Visa pursuance.

Special thanks to everyone who has posted here from time immemorial. I read all the pages of this thread. Scholastica16, you are a blessing.
DreManuel, thanks for the GRE materials.

Dream.Believe.Achieve.

(Pardon my errors).

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 10:42pm On Apr 19, 2018
kacey007:
I did my GRE today at JKK and had a score of 295.
Would you advice I re-write it for Msc Mathematics?
Verbal: 143
Quant.: 152
CGPA : 4.24/5
Cc time2smile

Thanks once again walspring for d GRE discount.
Yes, you should definitely rewrite it. I think you should give a more detailed description of your test experience. You must have learnt a thing or two to help you in the subsequent attempt.
Your high GPA in mathematics means something. What it tells me is you are quite smart and you should be able to significantly improve your scores especially the Quant. Also your verbal is very low and you should be able to make a jump into the 150s with some smart preparation.
You should try to read through the thread if you haven't, GRE is all about adequate and smart preparation.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:00pm On Apr 19, 2018
Scholastica16:
Congrats Quoran. Not surprised. The way you went about things I knew you were a serious person. I like TAMU CS but they did not like me. Ba$tards rejected my MS app but in their defence it was for Spring. grin

I am waiting for great news from Yildiz, Epithet, MasterforceII, Rexcheeng and anyone else I am forgetting.

As per the guy you met on Quora, I think I know who he is. Over-sound Dey worry the guy.

Congratulations once again.

Hello Boss, How's your program going? Good I hope. I wish I bore great news but unfortunately, my #Fall2018 journey may have come to an end without my securing an admission with funding.

I want to update the house so people learn from my mistakes the same way I hope to learn from them. I applied to just 2 schools in the US (UIUC and Oregon State), 1 in the UK (Imperial College) and 1 in Germany (RWTH Aechen). All MSc. In hindsight, this was a bad move, one that I regret and would not repeat in my next attempt at securing admission. I wasn't totally realistic with my school selections. In my next attempt, I'll be sure to spread my risks and apply to more schools to increase my chances. I'll also apply to a couple of PhD programs.

UIUC flat out rejected me, a generic rejection at that.
Oregon State on the other hand was quite promising. I had had correspondence with a particular professor which I thought was leading somewhere. Imagine my despondence when I received a rejection.
I received an admit from Imperial College. I don't know if I would be going here eventually as I can't fund it personally. I have applied for the PTDF scholarship and would also apply for NLNG and Agip when they are out. This could prove a viable option as I could then transition to a top program for PhD.
Yet to hear from RWTH.

I have learnt that when you fall x times, you should rise x+1 times. I am working on making myself a better candidate for Spring 19/Fall 19.

Thanks for your guidance and insights. I really appreciate you and other perspicacious minds on here.

#YesWeCan

14 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:03pm On Apr 19, 2018
Sherlock5577:
Hello everyone grin!!!

The great news of admission + funding so far from hopefuls is really exhilarating!!! Congrats!! Best wishes to other hopefuls waiting for admission and funding decisions.

Please, I require some help.
My profile which I posted some time back is:
BSc Geology and Mining
GPA: 4.59/5.00
Prospective Course: MSc/PhD Petroleum Geoscience
GRE: 2nd May ; TOEFL: 2nd June

The schools I have collated to carry out my desired research include:

Preferred choices - UTexas Austin, TAMUC, West Virginia University, Oklahoma State University (These are the schools I intend to report my scores to)

Others - University of Louisiana Lafayette, University of Wyoming and University of Mississippi.

I have found some info on these schools from gradcafe.

Please, I require guidance with regards to the schools I've chosen and other schools I should consider.

Cc: pennstate sirRuddy

Thanks for your help!!!

Decent Profile and great selection of schools. It is important that you nail your GRE to bolster your chances. Manhattan 5lb and Magoosh Online are good resources. Goodluck #YesWeCan

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:14pm On Apr 19, 2018
kacey007:
I did my GRE today at JKK and had a score of 295.
Would you advice I re-write it for Msc Mathematics?
Verbal: 143
Quant.: 152
CGPA : 4.24/5
Cc time2smile

Thanks once again walspring for d GRE discount.

For an MSc in mathematics, 152 may not be a very good score considering your decent cgpa. I know you may have put in a lot but I would advise you to take another shot at it and try to get that score up. It's very possible. The Manhattan 5lb, Nova GRE Math Bible and Magoosh should help in this regard. I suppose you are for #fall2019 so you still have some time to go back to the drawing board and retry. Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:16pm On Apr 19, 2018
doziej84:

who has this much talked about 2014 Princeton review?

i checked the google drive and it ain't there.

Search for it at www.libgen.io

In fact, any book you seek can be obtained from the link.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 11:31pm On Apr 19, 2018
Thanks Bro. Please don't give up. Try the PTDF scholarship for Imperial college. With that, you can do your PhD in the USA later.All will work out for good.
MasterforceII:
Congratulations bro. I've followed your journey and I'm so happy about the outcome. You have shown persistence and tenacity. I wish you the best. Enjoy your stay in America.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:24am On Apr 20, 2018
MasterforceII:

Hello Boss, How's your program going? Good I hope. I wish I bore great news but unfortunately, my #Fall2018 journey may have come to an end without my securing an admission with funding.

I want to update the house so people learn from my mistakes the same way I hope to learn from them. I applied to just 2 schools in the US (UIUC and Oregon State), 1 in the UK (Imperial College) and 1 in Germany (RWTH Aechen). All MSc. In hindsight, this was a bad move, one that I regret and would not repeat in my next attempt at securing admission. I wasn't totally realistic with my school selections. In my next attempt, I'll be sure to spread my risks and apply to more schools to increase my chances. I'll also apply to a couple of PhD programs.

UIUC flat out rejected me, a generic rejection at that.
Oregon State on the other hand was quite promising. I had had correspondence with a particular professor which I thought was leading somewhere. Imagine my despondence when I received a rejection.
I received an admit from Imperial College. I don't know if I would be going here eventually as I can't fund it personally. I have applied for the PTDF scholarship and would also apply for NLNG and Agip when they are out. This could prove a viable option as I could then transition to a top program for PhD.
Yet to hear from RWTH.

I have learnt that when you fall x times, you should rise x+1 times. I am working on making myself a better candidate for Spring 19/Fall 19.

Thanks for your guidance and insights. I really appreciate you and other perspicacious minds on here.

#YesWeCan

Bro, I am well. I stand with you.

I was here about this same time last year. In hindsight, I am happy at the way things turned out.

Applying for PTDF is good. If after your MSc you consider a PhD, with Imperial on your resume and a worthy Prof from the Univeristy to recommend there is no telling how seamless the admission season will be for you.

I know you may feel down here and there - especially when you think of the time lag. But you needn’t worry too much. It will work out well.

Your plans going forward are great. I advise people to never waste time applying to Uk until you have the money or a sponsor. You will always get the admission if you even have 2 or 3 weeks before resumption.

When next you apply to the US, start early. You already have everything you need so that should not be an issue. If you want to apply for an MSc alone, it is always better to do so in the second tier schools as they are usually the most willing to take people funded at that level.

The biggies like PhDs because research they do here cannot easily be done in 2 years if you are combining course work with it. There is also “serendipity” in admission cycles.

I am even more expectant for you.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:27am On Apr 20, 2018
fortune29:

GRE is 40-45K in Naira.

Don’t go and pay $205 for nothing.

Look for BY MAFIT or Ponpon on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 6:36am On Apr 20, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 6:39am On Apr 20, 2018
iamblisz:
Hey guys, is it a bad idea to start tutorial on GRE? Have been out of school for almost two years now. I contacted a center here in Abj and they charge #50'000 for two months and #30,000 for one month. Not that I don't believe myself it just that I'm not that good in math and I don't want to write it twice.

So what do guys think? Although the fees is very high., e go pain me wella to vomit this kind money for just two months.
Plz someone should comment on this
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:15am On Apr 20, 2018
MasterforceII:

Decent Profile and great selection of schools. It is important that you nail your GRE to bolster your chances. Manhattan 5lb and Magoosh Online are good resources. Goodluck #YesWeCan
Thanks for the advice!!
I also hope your plans for UK eventually pan out.
I'll surely do my best!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:21am On Apr 20, 2018
iamblisz:

Plz someone should comment on this
I think this depends on how dire your situation is and the efficacy of the training you intend to get.
If the training is efficient enough and you really require tutoring, probably because you'll find it difficult to study alone, then I suggest you go ahead. And as you spit out this money, I believe you'll put in the required effort so it doesn't become a waste.
Then you should access yourself to know how much training you require and which of the payment plans is affordable to you.

Nothing good comes easy!!!
All the best sir!! grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 12:29pm On Apr 20, 2018
almeida3:

Hi Stenon!

Except he is going to negotiate a full tuition waiver with graduate school(which is not always easy, the best you might get is an out-state excess waiver, which means you have to pay in-state tuition), I will advise you reconsider the offer. From experience, a POI at SJSU will pay max $15/hour for 20hours half time work. This amount will barely offset your cost of living in California. They may call it a full funding, but, in the real sense, it's not.

You may consider the offer, if however, you have a means of paying your tuition.

Regards!
Thank you so much for your response and my sincere apology for just responding to your post. Goodmorning and how have you been sir? I am very grateful for the clarification concerning funding sir. After replying the emeritus of my willingless to accept the lab instructor position, He later requested for my CV and transcripts and I forwarded to him. Just few minutes ago, He asked me to submit my application ASAP so as to get my visa before resumption date. He also asked me to send a mail to another Prof. that I am the same Person as Stella I. on my transcript against Stella A. that is on my email address. He mentioned that he recommended Stella A. for graduate school before seeing Stella I. on my transcript. Finally, He said I should be ready for skype interview anytime soon. I am scared of what to expect during skype interview because I have never done such before.

Cc:
Quoran
Time2Smile
Scholastica16
and other great people of this forum
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 12:32pm On Apr 20, 2018
Time2Smile:

I think you should allow her get the full offer with the details first, and then she can make a decision to accept or reject the offer.
Congratulations to Quoran, that was really impressive.
Thanks alot sir and I appreciate your advice. Please what are those things to expect during skype interview?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:41pm On Apr 20, 2018
Kindly check one of my recent post on the USA student visa thread. I gave someone some tips on having a Skype interview.
I hope you find it useful.
STENON:
Thank you so much for your response and my sincere apology for just responding to your post. Goodmorning and how have you been sir? I am very grateful for the clarification concerning funding sir. After replying the emeritus of my willingless to accept the lab instructor position, He later requested for my CV and transcripts and I forwarded to him. Just few minutes ago, He asked me to submit my application ASAP so as to get my visa before resumption date. He also asked me to send a mail to another Prof. that I am the same Person as Stella I. on my transcript against Stella A. that is on my email address. He mentioned that he recommended Stella A. for graduate school before seeing Stella I. on my transcript. Finally, He said I should be ready for skype interview anytime soon. I am scared of what to expect during skype interview because I have never done such before.

Cc:
Quoran
Time2Smile
Scholastica16
and other great people of this forum
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 12:46pm On Apr 20, 2018
Quoran:
Kindly check one of my recent post on the USA student visa thread. I gave someone some tips on having a Skype interview.
I hope you find it useful.
Oh!! Thanks so much sir

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2018
Sherlock5577:

I think this depends on how dire your situation is and the efficacy of the training you intend to get.
If the training is efficient enough and you really require tutoring, probably because you'll find it difficult to study alone, then I suggest you go ahead. And as you spit out this money, I believe you'll put in the required effort so it doesn't become a waste.
Then you should access yourself to know how much training you require and which of the payment plans is affordable to you.

Nothing good comes easy!!!
All the best sir!! grin
Thanks sir

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 5:49pm On Apr 20, 2018
good day everyone, am a new member in the house. my name is bukola, currently sat for a gre and i didnt perform well. i had a score of 283, aspiring to attend the university of alabama, cgpa 3.66. i wish to retake the test but i need aid achieving this interms of material and how to register for a new gre. Thanks, please i need your contribution . God bless
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
MasterforceII:

congrat bro,I tap into your blessing. Please I want to retake my GRE ,cos of low score. How much will it cost me and important materials cos I planned entering this year fall. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GraceJoks: 6:09pm On Apr 20, 2018
GraceJoks:
Good evening, I have been an ardent reader of posts on this platform and I have benefitted immensely from it. I wrote the Gre in January. However, I didn't apply to four schools because of lack of funds. I am yet to receive response from Central Michigan University regarding funding but I have been admitted. I will like to seek your advice about other schools for msc statistics (fall 2019) that I can apply to based on my profile. Thank you.

Time2Smile, Scholarstica , I need your contribution and advice on this. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 6:38pm On Apr 20, 2018
Scholastica16:

GRE is 40-45K in Naira.

Don’t go and pay $205 for nothing.

Look for BY MAFIT or Ponpon on Nairaland.
h.
How do I get this please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 6:40pm On Apr 20, 2018
MasterforceII:

congrat bro,please kindly reply my message
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GraceJoks: 6:56pm On Apr 20, 2018
GraceJoks:

Please someone should respond to this.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:16pm On Apr 20, 2018
GraceJoks:

I am quite busy and can't always reply promptly. Read through the thread and you will find excellent school recommendations that have been applied to by others on this forum. However, most of the research and choice of schools is up to you because you are the one that know the most important criteria to you. I can suggest you look at:
1. University of Texas, Austin
2. University of Washington, Seattle
3. Duke University
4. University of Pennsylvania,
Those will be your reach schools

1. Texas A&M College station
2. University of Arizona
3. Iowa state University
4. University of Kentucky
5. University of Texas Dallas
6. University of Missouri
7. Florida state university

In addition, I think you should not limit yourself to only Statistics, but also look at Mathematics programs. Also, you might want to apply for PhD programs as the opportunity for funding is more. Your GRE is also a bit low considering your GPA and field (especially the Quant) , while I have no doubt you can get an offer with it, I believe a score of 160+ in Quant is attainable by you and it will boost your chances. You can do better than Central Michigan University.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.