Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348186 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:41pm On Apr 26, 2018
akatovic1:
I don show againoo, just before I say make I go watch Bayern vs Real Madrid na im I see wan obonge mail..........
grin grin sorry Queen's English
I am back again so let me share an update: just as I was preparing to watch Bayern vs Real Madrid , I checked my mail and saw the letter of award of Research Assistant with full funding and stipend for a direct PhD at the Department of Mechanical, Aeronautic and Nuclear Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.I will be working under an assistant professor who inteviewed (sha na just discussion) me via skype. Thank you Jesus and everyone on this forum, your encouragement is well appreciated.
Details may come up soon.
Ayyye! I dey so happy as I see this. All my gboskis for nairaland just dey carry dey go. Congratulobia brother. RPI na ogbonge school. Good luck

*in queens english*
Ayyye! So happy to see this. All my nairaland peeps winning. Congrats fam. RPI is a very good school.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smallsuper: 10:03pm On Apr 26, 2018
Congrast@akatovic1, I am very happy for you brother.
I was very expectant knowing that a school like RPI shouldn't give out an unfunded Ph.D. admission.
#Team fall 2018
#Yeswecan

akatovic1:
I don show again oo, just before I say make I go watch Bayern vs Real Madrid na im I see wan obonge mail..........
grin grin sorry Queen's English
I am back again so let me share an update: just as I was preparing to watch Bayern vs Real Madrid , I checked my mail and saw the letter of award of Research Assistant with full funding and stipend for a direct PhD at the Department of Mechanical, Aeronautic and Nuclear Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.I will be working under an assistant professor who inteviewed (sha na just discussion) me via skype. Thank you Jesus and everyone on this forum, your encouragement is well appreciated.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 12:42am On Apr 27, 2018
Predstan:

Same date with mine... Update... Zero806nine45four 363
Mine is in Abuja
How abt urs?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 27, 2018
If you want to make online payments like WES and app fees, PM me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 8:04am On Apr 27, 2018
nelem:

hello bro/sis. can i send you a PM??
I need some help on the review on my SOP. thanks
Hi, I'm a bro.
Sure you can, I'll try my best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kfrosh: 9:11am On Apr 27, 2018
Hi bro! Kudos to you for your great comments here and the US thread. I want to ask this question on behalf of a friend. She has a 2.1 in Economics and a distinction in her MBA from a school Ok here in Nigeria. Does she have a chance to get fully funded PHD schorlaship for a social science course being that it won't be a STEM course. I hear it is STEM courses that are considered most for funding.

Anybody with good info can help reply too.
Scholastica16:

You should look at Penn state as well. Since you are for PhD you stand a great chance at being funded.

I know someone that got into UT Austin fully funded for an MSc in PE. He is actually a forumite but barely posts. High GPA though, (think 4.8+). But the point is, Professors were even begging him to apply for a PhD but he refused.

I am excited for you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kfrosh: 9:19am On Apr 27, 2018
Please can someone help me with a link to download GRE prep materials or if you know the Moniker of someone that has posted it here before. I can search through their comments and download it from there.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:31am On Apr 27, 2018
Kindly send me a PM. I will forward some for you to download. Cheers.
kfrosh:
Please can someone help me with a link to download GRE prep materials or if you know the Moniker of someone that has posted it here before. I can search through their comments and download it from there.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by oluwaniyi66(m): 2:31pm On Apr 27, 2018
akatovic1:
I don show againoo, just before I say make I go watch Bayern vs Real Madrid na im I see wan obonge mail..........
grin grin sorry in Queen's English
congratulations bro. could you please share with us your profile?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:21pm On Apr 27, 2018
kfrosh:
Hi bro! Kudos to you for your great comments here and the US thread. I want to ask this question on behalf of a friend. She has a 2.1 in Economics and a distinction in her MBA from a school Ok here in Nigeria. Does she have a chance to get fully funded PHD schorlaship for a social science course being that it won't be a STEM course. I hear it is STEM courses that are considered most for funding.

Anybody with good info can help reply too.

STEM courses are not considered most for funding. They just have more allocations from the government due to reproducibility and marketability. In other words, a school may take more fully funded STEM PhDs than another field will but PhDs are meant to be funded. So yes, she can.

I still maintain that it is a crime for anyone to take up a PhD position in any University in the US if it is not fully funded.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2018
RexCheeng, Congratulations. You fought a good fight, champ. Still waiting on the others.

#YesWeWill
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2018
Bukyolami:
h.
How do I get this please

Google BY MAFIT or PM ponpon here on Nairaland.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2018
akatovic1:
grin grin sorry in Queen's English

No surprises here. Go and prosper.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 4:56pm On Apr 27, 2018
Hello nairalanders,
Please is rehabilitation counselling and occupational therapy a STEM programme ....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kfrosh: 5:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
One love bro. I got the materials you sent.
Quoran:
Kindly send me a PM. I will forward some for you to download. Cheers.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 5:14pm On Apr 27, 2018
No worries bro. All the best.
kfrosh:
One love bro. I got the materials you sent.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 8:24pm On Apr 27, 2018
You may find this link helpful

http://stemdegreelist.com/

Shanid:
Hello nairalanders,
Please is rehabilitation counselling and occupational therapy a STEM programme ....

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shanid(m): 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2018
learner007:
You may find this link helpful

http://stemdegreelist.com/

thank you sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2018
oluwaniyi66:

congratulations bro. could you please share with us your profile?
Although I have posted my profile before, for reference purposes here is my updated profile:

First Degree
School: UNN
Course:Mechanical Engineering
CGPA:4.53

Test scores
GRE
Q:166 , V:157
TOEFL:101

Graduate School (course:Mechanical Engineering)
University of Texas, Austin(Msc/PhD):Rejected
Texas A and M, College Station (Direct PhD):Rejected
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute(Direct PhD):Accepted
University of Notre Dame(Direct PhD): Rejected
KAUST (Msc):Awaiting

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 9:48pm On Apr 27, 2018
akatovic1:

Although I have posted my profile before, for reference purposes here is my updated profile:

First Degree
School: UNN
Course:Mechanical Engineering
CGPA:4.53

Test scores
GRE
Q:166 , V:157
TOEFL:101

Graduate School (course:Mechanical Engineering)
University of Texas, Austin(Msc/PhD):Rejected
Texas A and M, College Station (Direct PhD):Rejected
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute(Direct PhD):Accepted
University of Notre Dame(Direct PhD):Awaiting
KAUST (Msc):Awaiting

Congratulations akatovic1. RPI is a great school.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 9:55pm On Apr 27, 2018
RexCheeng:
I hope My post inspires/challenges someone out there.

The summary of this post (TLTR)
WES CGPA: 3.45
GRE: 320, 163Q
TOEFL: 107
TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:
University of Nebraska (MSc)- Reject
Miami University, Ohio (MSc)- Admitted without funding
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (PhD)- Rejected
University of New Haven (MSc)- Accepted with TA position

Full Gist ( grin Because I enjoyed reading the gist of people like DrHopeful, SirRiddy, MsNas, BigFrancis21, sureb0y, etc.)

I began my grad school journey in 2016, researching schools on thegradcafe.com and MSinUS group on Facebook. My good man, MasterforceII, pointed me in the direction of Nairaland where I met our very own guru, SirRiddy, and bombarded him with questions like "What is the difference between Spring and Fall?"

Fast forward to November 2017, I completed my applications and waited on my professors to help out with LORs. December came and most apps were not complete just because of LOR. I had to eventually use a GA in my school and my employer at work. I actually started about 6 applications during this time but due to obligations at work and some other factors, I couldn't complete it.

In the course of writing my SOPs and CV, I reached out to a host of people on LinkedIn who were all too happy to help. I also contacted our very own happyday here and he gladly helped me vet it. I was so proud of the product and I was certain, to a large extent, that I would snatch a fully funded offer from all the schools I applied to and that my problem would be which to choose. Lol. I remember seeing other schools I could've applied to like UArk, UC Denver, Uni of Utah, All the schools in Dakota, etc. but they either required WES or official transcripts. Before I forget, I also began an application to Georgia Southern Uni but they required an evaluated transcript angry

Middle of February, I received a reject from Nebraska, and then it dawned on me that I was really just an average Joe. I was competing against geniuses from the USA, China, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria, and this realization just weakened me. Crestfallen didn't do justice to my plight, but I promised to move on. I was to choose between writing GRE again while gaining experience as a researcher here in Nigeria to improve my profile or apply to more schools and hope to cop half funding from any school in particular.

I strengthened my resolve and concluded that there was no assurance of a drastic GRE increase because of time, my place of work is in shambles and definitely, research was all about recycling papers and submitting to new journals.

Early March, I stumbled upon someone's transcript on the USA thread. We had a similar profile and he got a scholarship to University of New Haven. We spoke and I realized that it was just a 50% tuition waiver. I was desperate, I was going to source the rest, let them just give me admission.

Late March, Received admission and 50% funding as expected. I was a bit relieved and then I remembered my initial resolve, "no full funding, no traveling." Low-key, I was still hopeful that Tennessee or Miami would eventually come through.

Early April, Miami came through. Admission, no funding. The prof I maintained correspondence with said he'll accept me but I would need to fund myself. LOL.
I began to assess my chances with Tennessee and I saw that I was hanging on a thread abi rope, abeg, how them dey talk am. I met another UNH hopeful who was stoked to hear my profile. He also got 50% scholarship and felt I deserved more than that. He told me I should press for the Provost's scholarship and I did.
I sent a long mail to the department, expressing my inability to fund my studies and my wealth of experience as a TA. Few days later, my friend (he also requested) and I (along with two other people who we didn't know) were asked to be interviewed for the scholarship via skype.

Two days ago, I got the offer. Unfortunately my friend didn't.

I'm extremely grateful for the guys on this thread, reading stories like this way back then used to keep me awake till 2am while I was prepping for GRE. I'm extremely excited for everyone here also. Quoran, you're a legend, sir! Tizentos, Yildiz, smallsuper, Ridsan, tescoman, Temmitarts, everyone!
Scholastica16, I can't express the joy I felt in my heart every time you joined your faith with mine. God bless you!
P.S: Your rejoinders on the USA thread about MBA or no MBA made me laugh my head off! I itch for your Quora, Twitter, Medium, or any other account detail where you share your views. I'll send a PM.

#Fall2018 has been tortuous, a hell of a ride, but worth it still.
The knowledge that this is the beginning is quite funny. Internships, OPTs, H1-B, PhD. More rejections will come, but above all, we shall rise!

I will end with a famous quote which I do not know verbatim and will not check Google for, "Any fool can learn from his mistakes, it takes a wise man to learn from that of others."

Congratulations RexCheeng. Great inspirational story.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 10:06pm On Apr 27, 2018
Graduate Student Research Positions - Computer Science (I do not know how recent it is though but there is no harm in trying).
http://sun0.cs.uca.edu/~thalic/news.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:27am On Apr 28, 2018
Permit me to say praise the Lord "Hallelujah". I have been following this thread religiously for some time now. But somehow I have refused to share my GRE experience because of my low score.

Prior to my GRE exam I was very optimistic; I believed my minimum score would be 325 dint of my preparation and my practice test scores. However, I got a mediocre score 315. It destabilize me, because I had no contingency plans. My TOEFL score was low too very low. (I dey shame to post am self).

My initial school list was: MIT, UIUC, TAMU, Uni of Texas, Austin and UTK (ESE program at Bredesen Center).

Due to my low GRE score and lack of finance I could only apply to 3 schools - UTK, Tufts University and Uni of Akron (abeg no ask me where this school dey). I applied to RPI (free fee waiver things).

I got a rejection message from Tufts university (expected) march 6.

I later discovered that I mistakenly applied to a wrong program at UTK. I was supposed to apply to the ESE doctoral program at Bredesen Center, but, somehow I mistakenly apply to a different department. Hence, I did not even get the privilege to be rejected because my application was not reviewed.

Mind you, UTK was like my main school. I have already developed camaderie with many graduate students in the program, I talked to about two Nigerians, messaged the recruiter and also, had a prof that asked me to reply. But, my silly mistake denied opportunity to get into this program.

I got admission to Uni of Akron Feb 24th, they said their funding decision will be in later dates, I was hopeful I will get a TA position. Up till now no show, and I do not really like the school.

So I accepted my fate that I won't join Fall 2018 cohort. In fact, I bought "higher everyday" note book to start my GRE practice again with plans for fall19. I had already downloaded galvanize prep, ready4GRE, Manhattan App, Magoosh vocab. I had some text books and I made up my mind to borrow some books from the embassy.

Exactly 7:20pm today while I was reading an article on aeon.co, I received an email from Tuft University (that rejected me before), I became irate, as I thought it was a promotional message or message about our school is this or that. So, I wanted to archive the message without reading it.

But when I opened the email I saw this: "I am writing to you with excellent news from Tufts Mechanical Engineering. The school is able to provide a fellowship to offer you a place in our PhD program! A new source of funding was identified by the School."[[/b]b]

As you must already know I started crying. I called my friend already in the program and told him about it.

My story is getting too long.

Major: Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 4.84/5.0
GRE: 315 - Q 163 and V 152.
Tufts University. PhD Mechanical Engineering
Funding: fellowship

I name drop on my application to Tuft, which made the grad coordinator to ask one of her advisee (a Nigerian bearing thesame name with my paddy) if he knows me and he said no. My friend gave me this info last week and he had to email the grad coord on my behalf (he kept this away from me) telling her the he knows me and that he was the person I was referring on my SOP. He almost told her I am the best thing since slice bread.

Many thanks to Time2Smile, reDazey (My paddy, the news sweet her pass me self), Scholastica16. And everyone.

I have very sorry for not catching you guys up soon enough.

God is faithful! After giving up.

Fall 2018
Yes we Fit.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 1:30am On Apr 28, 2018
ABOLORUNKING:
Permit me to say praise the Lord "Hallelujah". I have been following this thread religiously for some time now. But somehow I have refused to share my GRE experience because of my low score.

Prior to my GRE exam I was very optimistic; I believed my minimum score would be 325 dint of my preparation and my practice test scores. However, I got a mediocre score 315. It destabilize me, because I had no contingency plans. My TOEFL score was low too very low. (I dey shame to post am self).

My initial school list was: MIT, UIUC, TAMU, Uni of Texas, Austin and UTK (ESE program at Bredesen Center).

Due to my low GRE score and lack of finance I could only apply to 3 schools - UTK, Tufts University and Uni of Akron (abeg no ask me where this school dey). I applied to RPI (free fee waiver things).

I later discovered that I mistakenly applied to a wrong program at UTK. I was supposed to apply to the ESE doctoral program at Bredesen Center, but, somehow I mistakenly apply to a different department. Hence, I did not even get the privilege to be rejected because my application was not reviewed.

Mind you, UTK was like my main school. I have already developed camaderie with many graduate students in the program, I talked to about two Nigerians, messaged the recruiter and also, had a prof that asked me to reply. But, my silly mistake denied opportunity to get into this program.

I got admission to Uni of Akron Feb 24th, they said their funding decision will be in later dates, I was hopeful I will get a TA position. Up till now no show, and I do not really like the school.

So I accepted my fate that I won't join Fall 2018 cohort. In fact, I bought "higher everyday" note book to start my GRE practice again with plans for fall19. I had already downloaded galvanize prep, ready4GRE, Manhattan App, Magoosh vocab. I had some text books and I made up my mind to borrow some books from the embassy.

Exactly 7:20pm today while I was reading an article on aeon.co, I received an email from Tuft University (that rejected me before), I became irate, as I thought it was a promotional message or message about our school is this or that. So, I wanted to archive the message without reading it.

But when I opened the email I saw this: "I am writing to you with excellent news from Tufts Mechanical Engineering. The school is able to provide a fellowship to offer you a place in our PhD program! A new source of funding was identified by the School."[[/b]b]

As you must already know I started crying. I called my friend already in the program and told him about it.

I name drop on my application to Tuft, which made the grad coordinator to ask one of her advisee (a Nigerian bearing thesame name with my paddy) if he knows me and he said no. My friend gave me this info last week and he had to email the grad coord on my behalf (he kept this away from me) telling her the he knows me and that he was the person I was referring on my SOP. He almost told her I am the best thing since slice bread.

Many thanks to Time2Smile, reDazey (My paddy, the news sweet her pass me self), Scholastica16. And everyone.

Fall 2018
Yes we Fit.
Congratulations dear. I am so happy for you. Your news made my day. Awesome God!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 4:15am On Apr 28, 2018
Congrats
ABOLORUNKING:

Yes we Fit.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 4:19am On Apr 28, 2018
Scholastica16:
RexCheeng, Congratulations. You fought a good fight, champ. Still waiting on the others.

#YesWeWill
Thanks a bunch! Your tenacity has inspired many of us here.
reDazey:

Congratulations RexCheeng. Great inspirational story.
Thank you. This thread has been a huge source of inspiration and support, this is my little quota.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 4:24am On Apr 28, 2018
ABOLORUNKING:

Fall 2018
Yes we Fit.

Wow! Amazing story. Congratulations.
I don't think anyone will consider your GRE scores low tho. Perhaps, not stellar, definitely not low.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 5:07am On Apr 28, 2018
Abolorunking, soon as I saw the moniker I remembered the high GPA.

Congrats. Go there and finish work. Tufts is a very good school in Boston. Na Harvard and MIT people you’d be seeing around. Brace up. You go spend money o. Hope that fellowship covers every.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 28, 2018
Thanks a lot.

It covers everything (tuition + stipends)

Scholastica16:
Abolorunking, soon as I saw the moniker I remembered the high GPA.

Congrats. Go there and finish work. Tufts is a very good school in Boston. Na Harvard and MIT people you’d be seeing around. Brace up. You go spend money o. Hope that fellowship covers every.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by enuelsmith: 3:06pm On Apr 28, 2018
Hello all!! We are giving out 50 percent fees reduction for GRE,TOEFL, GMAT AND SAT. We understand that many nairalanders would like to write one standardized test or the other,for their Fall admissions,but owing to the harsh economy situation of the country in recent time,only few could achieve this. We have deemed it fit to assist few but serious individuals who are willing to take this test. Limited offer available,and its for first come first serve. We have done this before and we are here to do this again. Wishing you all the very best
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 9:42pm On Apr 28, 2018
ABOLORUNKING:
Thanks a lot.

It covers everything (tuition + stipends)

Congratulations, but that your GPA na die. I am so happy, I can imagine your joy and excitement. Well done. For those still awaiting decisions, keep the hope alive.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nwabu007(m): 8:17am On Apr 29, 2018
Congratulations! This is God at work!

ABOLORUNKING:

Fall 2018
Yes we Fit.

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.