Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (385) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351088 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KenyACE: 10:49pm On Jul 03, 2018
[quote author=4gunners post=69057599][/quote]

You did great. I'm planning to take gre in 3months time. Please I'll like to connect with you. Pls send me your email. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KenyACE: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2018
orelio:

Congrats bro. I'll need your guidance cos I intend writing gre too. Thank you

Hey guys Good Morning.

So I gave Gre a try yesterday. Q162,V152.

Powerprep average :Q168,V152
Kaplan average:Q164,V153
Princeton average:Q164,V156
Magoosh average : Q160, V152

Recommendation
For verbal, although my score wasn't good but I think verbal grail, cracking the gre,magoosh questions and ETS materials should suffice. Don't waste your time cramming too many words, it's a test of structure not grammar.

For Quant; Ets materials,5lb Manhattan, magoosh questions.

Also take as many practice test as you can.

Thought about retaking it tho. I knew I could easily have gotten 166> in the quant if I had managed my time well.. But my verbal has been around 152 even in my practice tests; so except I know a way of improving it significantly(especial those RCs), there is no point retaking it again.

My profile
Mechanical engineering
UG : 3.35/4.0 but my last two years result is 3.57/4.0
No publication
IELTS: 7.0
Gre:314
Experience: 1 year Non engineering experience

Gurus in the house what are my chances for Kansas state university, auburn,Oregon and university of Arkansas.. I'll like to apply to more schools though so I'll appreciate your suggestions.@ponpon, quoran, scholatica16,Mr Riddy....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 12:13am On Jul 04, 2018
Hi guys. I'm sorry I've not been active on the forum in recent times. Been preparing to travel. Should be out of Nigeria next week. I'll try to document my experiences and while in the states, give first hand account of things that can help.

To those looking for full funding, may good luck smile on you. With a good SOP, great recommendations, good GRE scores and a CGPA that can scale through, you should do well.

The purpose of this group primarily is to help people achieve awesome scores on the GRE. Although a lot of other things has filtered in, let's try to encourage others through tried and tested means of achieving these great scores. I've seen people who do not have wonderful CGPAs but awesome scores get some sizeable scholarships, so all hope is not lost even if you didn't do exceedingly well in school.

I posted sometime ago about B.Y Mafit and how their free GRE Lectures helped not just me but lots of other people on this forum. I'm sure they are still offering that. It's the awarded best GRE center in West Africa, so, if you are in Lagos or Abuja, I would advice you use that free resource to register and attend the lectures. While there, ensure you also interact with other students and be smart. Try to read ahead of the class and go with questions. Ask questions and make the best use of what you have, since its free anyways. But trust me, the best things in life are free. The site is www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/gre

I'll be posting information I feel will help with time. I hope I'll be able to do other posts soon.

Best of luck to all prospective GRE test takers and may Visa fall on you.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 6:17pm On Jul 05, 2018
My bachelors degree was evaluated by WES Canada... Can it be used also in USA or I have to start the whole process again. Please I appreciate your response.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmus4love10: 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2018
please guys I need to send email to some professors in Canada and USA. can anyone help me with the format of how to frame the mail
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 7:34pm On Jul 05, 2018

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 7:36pm On Jul 05, 2018
A PhD Assistantship position is available in the Porous Media and Multiphase Flows Laboratory in the Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering Department at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).

The applicants must have an MS degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, and a strong background in Fluid Mechanics, Math, and Computer Programming.

The start date is January 2019. The position covers student's tuition and fees and it also includes a starting salary of $26,000/year. Interested applicants are encouraged to contact Dr. Hooman Tafreshi (htafreshi@vc.edu) with the following information (all is needed):

1-Complete resume in PDF format,
2-GRE score card,
3-Toefl score card,
4-BS and MS transcripts,
5-Names and email address of three references.

Please note that INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISCARDED.

Information regarding Dr. Tafreshi’s Porous Media and Multiphase Flow Laboratory can be found at:

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~htafreshi/

Virginia Commonwealth University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tomiwaa(m): 8:57am On Jul 06, 2018
@Quoran Please i would like to send you a private mail. Its for something important
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Beila: 10:11am On Jul 06, 2018
Hi guys, I'm sorry I don't know who I am supposed to quote. I have just started reading for GRE and I plan to write the exam next month, I seem not to have enough preparation materials. I will appreciate if you can help me with advice and materials. My email is beila234@hotmail.com, thanks in advance!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 11:34am On Jul 06, 2018
I have replied you bro.
Tomiwaa:
@Quoran Please i would like to send you a private mail. Its for something important
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Beila: 1:50pm On Jul 06, 2018
Thank You!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2018
Please someone should reply me
Remen:
My bachelors degree was evaluated by WES Canada... Can it be used also in USA or I have to start the whole process again. Please I appreciate your response.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Topiipii(m): 1:23am On Jul 07, 2018
Remen:
Remen:
Please someone should reply me
No it can't, they're different countries. You'd have to contact WES about this, but be specific with your questions/request when you do. A friend of mine had the same issue, they simply used the old transcript and then completed the process from their end.

P.S. I mentioned being specific because, they took my friend's inquiries to be a sort of authorization and then transferred his transcript to U.S WES.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 2:37am On Jul 07, 2018
Beila:
Hi guys, I'm sorry I don't know who I am supposed to quote. I have just started reading for GRE and I plan to write the exam next month, I seem not to have enough preparation materials. I will appreciate if you can help me with advice and materials. My email is beila234@hotmail.com, thanks in advance!

Chat me on whatsapp 0.8.0.3.9.4.1.1.4.4.4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 7:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
Thank you
Topiipii:

No it can't, they're different countries. You'd have to contact WES about this, but be specific with your questions/request when you do. A friend of mine had the same issue, they simply used the old transcript and then completed the process from their end.

P.S. I mentioned being specific because, they took my friend's inquiries to be a sort of authorization and then transferred his transcript to U.S WES.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MrCuteking(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2018
Please guys I need your help on how to resolve this issue. After writing my GRE exam two weeks ago, I sent my scores to 4 different schools. Unknown to me that I sent it to the wrong schools. Currently, I want to apply in the University of Tulsa but I don’t have any idea on how to go about it cause I already exausted the one I used on the ETS site. Please , my result is still pending on my data base, I dont know if there are other ways of send it to the school. Or do I need to wait for my score to be uploaded?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nelronaldo(m): 4:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
Please can someone help me with GRE materials.
I'd really appreciate.
My email address: emmanuelemmabb@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 5:57pm On Jul 08, 2018
Scholastica16:

1. In hindsight, the best time for me to have written the GRE was during my 4th year (6 months IT period).

2. GRE is generally for Engineering, Mathematics and Economics disciplines as long as it is for graduate studies which encompasses Masters and PhD.
Having nursing the thoughts of studying in the US for a while, I have been following the GRE and US visa thread since then.

Following the reading of this post from 2016, I just started my IT on May 21th and have been 'gingered' to take the GRE in December 2018.

I'm not a stellar student, I'm a computer science student here in Lagos graduating with a range of 3.5-3.55.

Considering the kind of work I'm doing, I have accommodation at the company and can dedicate 2 hours daily in preparation for the GRE.

Ogas in the house,
I'd like to ask if the GRE materials on the front page are not obsolete yet and if they are, I'd appreciate a link to the new ones.

I'd also like to inquire about the chances of getting funding for computer science related courses.

I'd also like to know if the 2 hours per day would be enough to prepare for the GRE till December 2018.

Note: The aim is 340. Die there lol. cheesy
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 8:12am On Jul 09, 2018
Olalekank:

Having nursing the thoughts of studying in the US for a while, I have been following the GRE and US visa thread since then.

Following the reading of this post from 2016, I just started my IT on May 21th and have been 'gingered' to take the GRE in December 2018.

I'm not a stellar student, I'm a computer science student here in Lagos graduating with a range of 3.5-3.55.

Considering the kind of work I'm doing, I have accommodation at the company and can dedicate 2 hours daily in preparation for the GRE.

Ogas in the house,
I'd like to ask if the GRE materials on the front page are not obsolete yet and if they are, I'd appreciate a link to the new ones.

I'd also like to inquire about the chances of getting funding for computer science related courses.

I'd also like to know if the 2 hours per day would be enough to prepare for the GRE till December 2018.

Please I'd appreciate a response to this. Good morning all and goodluck to every aspiring writers.

Topiipii, Quoran, frostsc, ponpon
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmus4love10: 9:55am On Jul 09, 2018
dmus4love10:
please guys I need to send email to some professors in Canada and USA. can anyone help me with the format of how to frame the mail
[color=#006600][/color]please I need help on this
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by rinw: 6:27pm On Jul 09, 2018
Hello house, please I need used GRE material to buy. I have the PDF but epileptic power supply is affecting my preparation. Please kindly leave a comment or send me a PM if you have any GRE material you would like to let go. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2018
Whoa, apologies to those who PMed me. I have not had time to do anything on here. Congrats to those who have written. Thank God for Quoran. He will soon leave and may not have time. We need another Quoran on this thread. Lol
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2018
rinw:
Hello house, please I need used GRE material to buy. I have the PDF but epileptic power supply is affecting my preparation. Please kindly leave a comment or send me a PM if you have any GRE material you would like to let go. Thanks.

I see Ponpon already gave ideas.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
Olalekank:

Please I'd appreciate a response to this. Good morning all and goodluck to every aspiring writers.

Topiipii, Quoran, frostsc, ponpon

Search for Time2Smile and check his posts. There is a link he set up with recent materials. Also Quoran can help. Some of the materials there are still relevant though. The GRE is standardized so it won't really evolve that much.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:37pm On Jul 09, 2018
Olalekank:

Ogas in the house,

CS is well-funded. Getting 340 depends on your ability to assimilate. It will be hard though.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2018
nelronaldo:
Please can someone help me with GRE materials.
I'd really appreciate.
My email address: emmanuelemmabb@gmail.com
Thanks

Ransack this thread or better still check for Time2Smile. His recent posts have the Google drive he set up to help people.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
MrCuteking:
Please guys I need your help on how to resolve this issue. After writing my GRE exam two weeks ago, I sent my scores to 4 different schools. Unknown to me that I sent it to the wrong schools. Currently, I want to apply in the University of Tulsa but I don’t have any idea on how to go about it cause I already exausted the one I used on the ETS site. Please , my result is still pending on my data base, I dont know if there are other ways of send it to the school. Or do I need to wait for my score to be uploaded?

Yes, contact BY MAFIT or Ponpon. The former charge #8000 per school but I don't know how much the latter charges. The rate was better than the dollar figure stipulated by ETS.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:40pm On Jul 09, 2018
Remen:

You don't need WES for most US schools. So the WES thing may not be something you want to commit resources to.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2018
orelio:
Hey guys Good Morning.

So I gave Gre a try yesterday. Q162,V152.

Powerprep average :Q168,V152
Kaplan average:Q164,V153
Princeton average:Q164,V156
Magoosh average : Q160, V152

Recommendation
For verbal, although my score wasn't good but I think verbal grail, cracking the gre,magoosh questions and ETS materials should suffice. Don't waste your time cramming too many words, it's a test of structure not grammar.

For Quant; Ets materials,5lb Manhattan, magoosh questions.

Also take as many practice test as you can.

Thought about retaking it tho. I knew I could easily have gotten 166> in the quant if I had managed my time well.. But my verbal has been around 152 even in my practice tests; so except I know a way of improving it significantly(especial those RCs), there is no point retaking it again.

My profile
Mechanical engineering
UG : 3.35/4.0 but my last two years result is 3.57/4.0
No publication
IELTS: 7.0
Gre:314
Experience: 1 year Non engineering experience

Gurus in the house what are my chances for Kansas state university, auburn,Oregon and university of Arkansas.. I'll like to apply to more schools though so I'll appreciate your suggestions.@ponpon, quoran, scholatica16,Mr Riddy....

Congrats. The verbal hardly means much. My Taiwanese colleague had 140 and he got into 2 good ChE programs on a full ride. I may revisit this post to give more tidbits.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2018
Remen:
I have gone through this thread but i have some questions please. My Gpa is 4.13/5... I have IELTS of band 8. Is there any advantage of Toefl over IELTs. I intend to take GRE.

You don't need the TOEFL since tour IELTS is top percentile. With your GPA you should aim for top GRE scores and with luck you could be fully funded.

Although, TOEFL is preferred in the US, the IELTS is hardly frowned upon when juxtaposed with other aspects of the profile.

(1) (2) (3) ... (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) (388) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.