Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,116 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (391) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349463 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 8:18am On Aug 02, 2018
Good day. I wasn't able to come back and tell the house how the 2018 admission season ended for you. Well it ended without any admit.

I applied to four schools
Gatech - PhD Electrical Engineering
USC - PhD Electrical Engineering
UTK - PhD Data Science and Engineering
Oregon State - PhD Electrical Engineering (Data Science)

Basically my thought is I have a weak background in Data Science, so the rejects from UTK and Oregon State. A professor from Gatech contacted me and I was overwhelmed, then 5 days later I got a reject from them. For USC I believe the problem is they need hard copy transcript before processing application and I had delay in sending mine. Probably they do first come first serve.

My profile is
B.Eng (Electrical Engineering) 4.26/5.00
M.Sc (Electrical and Electronics) 3.5/4
GRE Q 163
V 159
A 4.0
TOEFL 105
Publication: 5 in Signal and Image processing
Work experience: 4 years in Power industry (Network Planning)

For Fall 2019 I am thinking of applying to labs that use signal processing techniques in power system.

Similarly this is to notify everyone that Fall 2019 application started yesterday for most school.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 11:50am On Aug 02, 2018
Yildiz:
Good day. I wasn't able to come back and tell the house how the 2018 admission season ended for you. Well it ended without any admit.

Basically my thought is I have a weak background in Data Science, so the rejects from UTK and Oregon State. A professor from Gatech contacted me and I was overwhelmed, then 5 days later I got a reject from them. For USC I believe the problem is they need hard copy transcript before processing application and I had delay in sending mine. Probably they do first come first serve.

My profile is
GRE Q 163
V 159
A 4.0
TOEFL 105

For Fall 2019 I am thinking of applying to labs that use signal processing techniques in power system.

Similarly this is to notify everyone that Fall 2019 application started yesterday for most school.

You had a good profile though..Refire this fall and i believe the admission and full funding would be yours. Thanks for the reminder...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ezehrobinson(m): 6:12pm On Aug 02, 2018
Hello people,
I wrote the GRE today.
It was really an experience.

Will give full detail later
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 6:25pm On Aug 02, 2018
mayort12:
Hi everyone, nice work on this thread. I've been following this thread faithfully and I'm not done yet. I just really need answers to some questions, I'm pleading that the good people on this thread assist me.
1.pls what's the major difference between spring and fall? I already googled it, I just need clarification.
2. Who knows the University of Tulsa, Oklahoma please, they said they accept admission on a rolling basis, can anyone help me understand the meaning of the rolling basis pls?
3. I'm a biochemistry graduate,
Cgpa- 4.69,
Ielts-7.0
Preparing to take the Gre in October,
What are my chances of funding and please, please, I won't mind school suggestions too.
Thanks in anticipation..
Scholastica sir, sir Riddy, Quoran, time2smile and everyone else, please...
I also studied Biochemistry so I feel a kind of Kinship towards you.
Do you want a MSc or PhD? Do you want to study core Biochemistry at graduate level or are you more interested in related fields such as Cell biology, molecular biology, Genetics. e.t.c. These and more will inform your Choice of schools.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 6:31pm On Aug 02, 2018
Yildiz:

My profile is
GRE Q 163
V 159
A 4.0
TOEFL 105

Sorry to hear about that. You will be fine and I am positive you will get it this time around. The experience you have gained should help you in the next cycle. I think some specialization in Electrical engineering have national security implications. Maybe you should try to avoid those areas.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yemiosinbajo: 6:34pm On Aug 02, 2018
Ezehrobinson:
Hello people,
I wrote the GRE today.

Please, how much is GRE fee at the moment? Or should I say which agency registers it for the cheapest amount at this time?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:53pm On Aug 02, 2018
mfarad:

Way to go man! Totally understand. Really appreciate your prayers. smiley I've deferred my WVU admission till Fall 2019, and God willing, I'd be applying to at least 2 other schools for Fall 2019... Contemplating retaking the GRE as well (crazy work schedule)... Btw, do you still check your NL mail?

I would console you but I know you don't need it. A few of us on here did not get it on first try but it gets better the next. I assure you.

No, I don't check that NL mail. I have been overwhelmed and I knew it would be hard to not reply after seeing the emails there. Hopefully I will do so soon and apologize to anyone I did not respond to. It is crazy.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Please, how much is GRE fee at the moment? Or should I say which agency registers it for the cheapest amount at this time?

If BY MAFIT are not playing ball..mention Ponpon here..he has better rates and the consensus is he is legit.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 6:57pm On Aug 02, 2018
Yildiz:

My profile is
GRE Q 163
V 159
A 4.0
TOEFL 105

I looked out for your testimony a lot but I never saw it. I have no doubts things will look up this coming admission. And you are wise to adjust the research area, that could be key. Someone else like you last year, adjusted her research interest to match her background and voila...she had like 4 or 5 fully funded admits. I don't think you need to change anything else as you were getting interviewed. Also, you may need to change some of your school choices.

BTW, by USC do you mean South Carolina or Southern California? If the latter, they accept the pdf copies of transcripts as long as it was "official" and not a student copy.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 8:21pm On Aug 02, 2018
Time2Smile:

Do you want a MSc or PhD? Do you want to study core Biochemistry at graduate level or are you more interested in related fields such as Cell biology, molecular biology, Genetics. e.t.c. These and more will inform your Choice of schools.

Thanks, Msc preferably. I'm more interested in related fields such as biotechnology and molecular biology.
Can we relate please?
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2018
Scholastica16:

If BY MAFIT are not playing ball..mention Ponpon here..he has better rates and the consensus is he is legit.
Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2018
Quoran:
1. SPRING - January Admission ; FALL - August Admission
2. They accept applications at anytime of the year. No deadlines. From my own observations, schools with such rolling applications have limited funding. I may be wrong though. Check the faculty members webpages and the graduate admissions page also.
3. Your chances are bright. Start your research early. Know what your target schools want. Do well on the GRE. Read this thread thoroughly ( I know you have started that already!) I really cannot suggest schools to you because Biochemistry it is not my area of interest.

All the best.
Thanks for the response, God bless you sir.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 11:56pm On Aug 02, 2018
Time2Smile:

#GreatestMetabolite

I'm A biochemistry student too seeking to pursue phd. already preparing for gre. i'll write by december..
I'm actually interested in pharmacological biochemistry. Buh really dunno if its advisable to pursue phd in this area. I really need a mentor-like advice on how to choose and what options are there to choose.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 2:57am On Aug 03, 2018
Sir time2smile
I'm just done reading every word you posted from Dec. 2016 (when you were preparing for gre, thru d period you went 4 your exam, yur bigbang gre score, when you applied late in jan '17, when you when waiting in april b4 it came around jun/july, your xprnce in the embassy (so sweet and short) and (please tell me bout ur neuro*** research),ur flight, you being the first nigerian 4 phd in your department, you being the only black on the orientation day b4 you saw a kenyan girl 2ndday, argument btwn you and twoods b4 u later discovered dat he's a toxicologist, in short and d way u have helped pple on this thread nd d other one with ur (self-claimed 2cents advice) which is golden in d real sense..... God bless u.

The point is i can write an issue essay 2 analyze all ur posts from dec. 2016 till dis day. Cos u ar automatically my mentor cos i been looking 4 bch students goin 4 phd, all 2 no avail, all i see is engineering students everywhere.
I guess this is my time2smile
Please i sent u a pm.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MonsieurCoder: 8:23am On Aug 03, 2018
For those universities that require official transcript mailed to them during application, are we allowed to mail it ourselves if we have an official copy?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 9:12am On Aug 03, 2018
MonsieurCoder:
For those universities that require official transcript mailed to them during application, are we allowed to mail it ourselves if we have an official copy?

The answer is NO. It is only considered official when it directly comes from the school.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nelronaldo(m): 12:30pm On Aug 03, 2018
ponpon:
haha. Thank you sir. I’m suspecting you were the one I called FBI.
Please how can I contact you regarding GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2018
nelronaldo:

Please how can I contact you regarding GRE?
send me an email. Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com to make things fast create your ets gre profile. Just forward your username and password and preferred test date and location then ready your 45k

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nelronaldo(m): 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2018
Please does anyone know about GRE lectures that hold on Sundays? Work won't allow me attend lectures unless on Sundays.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by nelronaldo(m): 2:45pm On Aug 03, 2018
ponpon:
send me an email. Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com to make things fast create your ets gre profile. Just forward your username and password and preferred test date and location then ready your 45k
Okay.. will do this. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hassanolek: 5:17pm On Aug 03, 2018
After couple of weeks, I'm done going through all the pages and I have downloaded all the materials tipped by the GRE pundits .......
Undergraduate (Biochemistry) : 4.54
Publication: Nil
Research experience: 1 year
GRE/TOEFL: Still contemplating on when to write (either before I go for NYSC in November or when I'm done with my service).
Progress so far: I have been making findings about different PhD programs, considering funding, research interests, ranking and feasibility..
Goal: PhD in Biochemistry or Cell biology or Biophysics.....
Lastly, I really appreciate people's efforts and tenacity toward getting admission into schools abroad..If I may say, before coming across this trend, tuition-free postgraduate studies abroad had always been wrongly perceived by me as a "mission impossible"..

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aphyz2709: 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2018
Hello house. I've been silently following this thread from one-corner. wink

So I finally took the GRE yesterday and it was quite an experience. More like a party of unfriendly questions. The whole drama landed me on a humble V155 Q157.

Using the scoreselect feature, I sent the result to the following schools.

1. Montana state university, Bozeman
2. Tennessee Tech University
3. University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
4. Cleveland State university, Ohio.

My undergraduate CGPAs are
BEng 3.85/5.00 (Direct entry) Elect/Elect
OND 3.51/4.00 Elect/Elect

Now I'm begging the house to please suggest necessary additions and subtractions to the list above, based on my profile, with view to secure funding (if I stand any chance) for MS in EE. I have my eyes on Spring 2019, but if it doesn't work out, fall 2019 is equally good enough. Also, I've got 3 years of experience in Aircraft electrical and avionics systems maintenance.

Over to you, my ogas.... God bless you.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2018
Good day everyone, please I've been searching for the link to the magoosh videos effortlessly to no avail. Please, could anyone direct me to the page,
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:33pm On Aug 03, 2018
mayort12:
Good day everyone, please I've been searching for the link to the magoosh videos effortlessly to no avail. Please, could anyone direct me to the page,
Thanks in anticipation.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1EuWmvy3lr5eIEeyDouZOekjAKpL36kbX

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ezehrobinson(m): 10:18pm On Aug 03, 2018
Ezehrobinson:
Hello people,
I wrote the GRE today.

Hello bosses,
I finally wrote the GRE yesterday.
Here are my takes/advise for forthcoming test takers;

Determine the score you aiming for: This can be determined if you have established communication with the school and have convinced them with your other profiles; LOR, SOP, CGPA, etc.

Identify your weakness and work on it: You will probably have few months to prepare for the test. The volume of materials in circulation might overwhelm you. The best way of overcoming this is by taking the Powerprep 1 (Diagnostic test) before setting out to study. This will review to you areas you are lacking and need to focus on during your study

Having identified your weak areas, study that topic using Manhattan 8 series (for quant) and afterward, solve all the questions in 5lb. Yes, solve ALL. MAKE I NO LIE, THE QUANT WAS HARDER THAN ALL THE PRACTICE TEST I TOOK. Take heart, you go overcome

For verbal, Official guide will be ok for TC and SE. Revision of Barron 333 will be cool. The most important is the amount of vocabulary you have built over the years. For passages, study crunchprep strategy on acing passages. Since I’m not a fast reader, I decided to first answer all TC and SE, then utilized the remaining time to reading all passages with exception of the long passage. My idea was; try answering 12 questions out of 16 rather than rushing to attempt 20 questions and score below par (I sha ticked an answer for the long passage as no be negative marking). This my model was applied to the first verbal section. The second session does not have long passage, so I gave preference to those passage that had more questions in this session

Finally, two days to the exam I realized that my verbal was no longer improving, I decided to work more on my quant. My matra was. IF YOU CAN’T STRENGTHEN YOUR WEAKNESS, STRENGTHEN YOUR STRENGTH.

At the end of the day, I was able to achieve my target score and went home happy
So Spring 2019 is getting set

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2018
Hisvoice:

As much as I can't speculate the consequence of using a bogus e-mail account for referencing, I believe you can still get it done in the right way through those steps highlighted. Only a graduate section of a school may determine what could happen if one impersonate.

Having said that, I think our image as a Nigerian is still undergoing rebranding than to add this peccadilloes.

Check your mail. I have sent the referee stuff

Please, I need a sample of the reference letter.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 03, 2018

please can you send iekene's free premium account to my mail fridayabolorunke@gmail.com

Please, I'm also in need of the login details of the free premium account
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by afroxyz: 12:28am On Aug 04, 2018
I want to write GRE by Oct/Nov. Is it too late to start preparing given the timeline?

Also does GRE do negative marking?

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by luminouz(m): 7:19am On Aug 04, 2018
pronto543:
Hi folks,

Please I need some clarification on how to use the PowerPrep II software. I have downloaded it but whenever I try to launch it,it opens in my Internet explorer which doesn't work well compared to my Mozilla. I thought Powerprep II is offline like the TOEFL sampler software. How do I make the software open on my Mozilla? Whenever I launch it on Explorer, it gets to the point where it shows the "Continue" button but fails to respond when I click on it.

Also, I need folks to clarify the difference between Powerprep II and Powerprep plus. My exam is on August 6th and I'm just confused about the whole stuff. I feel my preparation is adequate and I'm doing pretty well in other full test I've taken with Barron and Kaplan as well as diagnostic Tests from Princeton Review and Manhattan 5lb books. I have exhausted the Manhattan 5lb book, Official Guides (Verbal & Quants) and Princeton Review. I have watched all the Magoosh videos I downloaded from this forum. I always try to simulate the exam condition by constantly timing myself in all the practice exercises. I use 1.75 mins and 1.5 minutes for Quants and Verbal questions respectively. It has gretaly helped me and time is hardly an issue for me when I take full timed tests.

Please, I just need the clarification and working links to ets Powerprep II and Powerprep Plus if possible. I also need suggestions on other free online full test sites.
Hello!!!
I humbly request for copies of the study materials u used in preparing ...
Can I drop my mail or mail u??
Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by luminouz(m): 7:24am On Aug 04, 2018
Olalekank:

What course? We're in the same shoes as for the fall 2020.

Go through the thread and you'd find load$ of materials needed. You can also shoot me a mail @ pacholekan007@gmail.com lemme send you the link to to books.
Hi,can I also shoot u a mail??
I'd like me some materials too!!
Thanks!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 7:44am On Aug 04, 2018
luminouz:
Hi,can I also shoot u a mail?? I'd like me some materials too!! Thanks!!!
Great. My number's at signature
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2018
afroxyz:
I want to write GRE by Oct/Nov. Is it too late to start preparing given the timeline?

Also does GRE do negative marking?

Thanks
That's about 3 to 4 months of preparation. You'd need to dedicate time to the GRE to be able to come out with a good score. Go through the thread for materials that are needed.

GRE doesn't do negative marking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (388) (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.