Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,261 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (392) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350835 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 11:03am On Aug 04, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2018
Hassanolek:
After couple of weeks, I'm done going through all the pages and I have downloaded all the materials tipped by the GRE pundits .......
Undergraduate (Biochemistry) : 4.54
Publication: Nil
Research experience: 1 year
GRE/TOEFL: Still contemplating on when to write (either before I go for NYSC in November or when I'm done with my service).
Progress so far: I have been making findings about different PhD programs, considering funding, research interests, ranking and feasibility..
Goal: PhD in Biochemistry or Cell biology or Biophysics.....
Lastly, I really appreciate people's efforts and tenacity toward getting admission into schools abroad..If I may say, before coming across this trend, tuition-free postgraduate studies abroad had always been wrongly perceived by me as a "mission impossible"..

Nice! Metabolites are trooping in already.

We gotta help ourselves

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 2:37pm On Aug 04, 2018
Please gurus will like to postponed my exam booked for next week to give me more ample time to prepare how can i go about it??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2018
Aanexplus,Olalekan,Scholastica,Time2smile i need your advise.Comment below.Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2018
Hello everyone,i have been following this thread for months,i have come to realize that before one can register for any of the exam,one needs an international passport.I will like to get it before preparing for the exam.Pls i need a guide from those who have done it & the price range.Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2018
I’m also going for MS Biotech Fall 2019. Let’s connect if you don’t mind.
mayort12:

Thanks, Msc preferably. I'm more interested in related fields such as biotechnology and molecular biology.
Can we relate please?
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2018
You can do this by logging in to your GRE account and select the option to postpone. It’s $50 and your Naira Master card will work fine for this.
Amahjosh:
Please gurus will like to postponed my exam booked for next week to give me more ample time to prepare how can i go about it??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hassanolek: 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2018
Josonas:
Hello everyone,i have been following this thread for months,i have come to realize that before one can register for any of the exam,one needs an international passport.I will like to do as my first step before preparing for the exam.Pls i need a guide from those who have it & the price range.Thanks

The fastest and safest route is to go to an Immigration office in your state and speak with any of the officers that you want to get a passport as soon as possible. ..Regarding the price, it varies(26-35k) though the actual price on the Immigration website is cumulatively 19, 600 Naira but this is Nigeria....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Hassanolek: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2018
Officialhow:

Nice! Metabolites are trooping in already.

We gotta help ourselves
Well done, sir. We both know what we studied is jus a "touch of biochemistry" full of interestingly confusing pathways.. Lol

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aphyz2709: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2018
Josonas:
Hello everyone,i have been following this thread for months,i have come to realize that before one can register for any of the exam,one needs an international passport.I will like to get it before preparing for the exam.Pls i need a guide from those who have done it & the price range.Thanks

The official price is 15k per 32-page passport and 20k per 64-page passport. You can check immigration website for necessary guides regarding payment details and registration. The touted idea is that you can do it yourself, but trust me, you don’t wanna go that way.

If you stay in any of the major cities (Lagos, Abuja etc), it might take you a few days to some weeks to get the passport after registration, depending on who you know at the office. You may not like the "Man-know-man" idea, but that's the reality on ground. Knowing that Lagos offices (Ikoyi and Festac) would most likely waste my time since I didn't have any link, I traveled to Ilorin to get mine(32 pages) the same day I registered for 28k. Of course, it involved a fair element of connection. Mind you, some people pay more, while other pay a little less. It all depends on how fast you want it done.

Good luck, Bros.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 5:16pm On Aug 04, 2018
Thanks bros...I am currently in Benue state.I will visit their office.
aphyz2709:

The official price is 15k per 32-page passport and 20k per 64-page passport. You can check immigration website for necessary guides regarding payment details and registration. The touted idea is that you can do it yourself, but trust me, you don’t wanna go that way.

If you stay in any of the major cities (Lagos, Abuja etc), it might take you a few days to some weeks to get the passport after registration, depending on who you know at the office. You may not like the "Man-know-man" idea, but that's the reality on ground. Knowing that Lagos offices (Ikoyi and Festac) would most likely waste my time since I didn't have any link, I traveled to Ilorin to get mine(32 pages) the same day I registered for 28k. Of course, it involved a fair element of connection. Mind you, some people pay more, while other pay a little less. It all depends on how fast you want it done.

Good luck, Bros.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2018
Thanks bros.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2018
Thanks bros.pls whats the difference between standard epassport & official epassport?
Hassanolek:

The fastest and safest route is to go to an Immigration office in your state and speak with any of the officers that you want to get a passport as soon as possible. ..Regarding the price, it varies(26-35k) though the actual price on the Immigration website is cumulatively 19, 600 Naira but this is Nigeria....
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 5:37pm On Aug 04, 2018
Josonas:
You don't need an international passport to register for the exams.

You need to have your international passport to be able to go in on the test day else your test money would be a waste.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josonas: 10:15pm On Aug 04, 2018
Its the same sir.I want to have all necessary documents before i register.Can you help me with Magoosh material?
Olalekank:

You need to have your international passport to be able to go in on the test day else your test money would be a waste.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mayort12(f): 10:18pm On Aug 04, 2018
No qualms
md17:
I’m also going for MS Biotech Fall 2019. Let’s connect if you don’t mind.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 12:36am On Aug 05, 2018
Josonas:
Its the same sir.I want to have all necessary documents before i register.Can you help me with Magoosh material?
Your choice. Just know the passport is the only thing that's accepted. Anything other than that would be blatantly rejected.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1EuWmvy3lr5eIEeyDouZOekjAKpL36kbX
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DoTheNeedful: 6:22pm On Aug 05, 2018
RexCheeng:
I hope My post inspires/challenges someone out there.

The summary of this post (TLTR)
WES CGPA: 3.45
GRE: 320, 163Q
TOEFL: 107
TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:
University of Nebraska (MSc)- Reject
Miami University, Ohio (MSc)- Admitted without funding
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (PhD)- Rejected
University of New Haven (MSc)- Accepted with TA position

Full Gist ( grin Because I enjoyed reading the gist of people like DrHopeful, SirRiddy, MsNas, BigFrancis21, sureb0y, etc.)

I began my grad school journey in 2016, researching schools on thegradcafe.com and MSinUS group on Facebook. My good man, MasterforceII, pointed me in the direction of Nairaland where I met our very own guru, SirRiddy, and bombarded him with questions like "What is the difference between Spring and Fall?"

Fast forward to November 2017, I completed my applications and waited on my professors to help out with LORs. December came and most apps were not complete just because of LOR. I had to eventually use a GA in my school and my employer at work. I actually started about 6 applications during this time but due to obligations at work and some other factors, I couldn't complete it.

In the course of writing my SOPs and CV, I reached out to a host of people on LinkedIn who were all too happy to help. I also contacted our very own happyday here and he gladly helped me vet it. I was so proud of the product and I was certain, to a large extent, that I would snatch a fully funded offer from all the schools I applied to and that my problem would be which to choose. Lol. I remember seeing other schools I could've applied to like UArk, UC Denver, Uni of Utah, All the schools in Dakota, etc. but they either required WES or official transcripts. Before I forget, I also began an application to Georgia Southern Uni but they required an evaluated transcript angry

Middle of February, I received a reject from Nebraska, and then it dawned on me that I was really just an average Joe. I was competing against geniuses from the USA, China, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria, and this realization just weakened me. Crestfallen didn't do justice to my plight, but I promised to move on. I was to choose between writing GRE again while gaining experience as a researcher here in Nigeria to improve my profile or apply to more schools and hope to cop half funding from any school in particular.

I strengthened my resolve and concluded that there was no assurance of a drastic GRE increase because of time, my place of work is in shambles and definitely, research was all about recycling papers and submitting to new journals.

Early March, I stumbled upon someone's transcript on the USA thread. We had a similar profile and he got a scholarship to University of New Haven. We spoke and I realized that it was just a 50% tuition waiver. I was desperate, I was going to source the rest, let them just give me admission.

Late March, Received admission and 50% funding as expected. I was a bit relieved and then I remembered my initial resolve, "no full funding, no traveling." Low-key, I was still hopeful that Tennessee or Miami would eventually come through.

Early April, Miami came through. Admission, no funding. The prof I maintained correspondence with said he'll accept me but I would need to fund myself. LOL.
I began to assess my chances with Tennessee and I saw that I was hanging on a thread abi rope, abeg, how them dey talk am. I met another UNH hopeful who was stoked to hear my profile. He also got 50% scholarship and felt I deserved more than that. He told me I should press for the Provost's scholarship and I did.
I sent a long mail to the department, expressing my inability to fund my studies and my wealth of experience as a TA. Few days later, my friend (he also requested) and I (along with two other people who we didn't know) were asked to be interviewed for the scholarship via skype.

Two days ago, I got the offer. Unfortunately my friend didn't.

I'm extremely grateful for the guys on this thread, reading stories like this way back then used to keep me awake till 2am while I was prepping for GRE. I'm extremely excited for everyone here also. Quoran, you're a legend, sir! Tizentos, Yildiz, smallsuper, Ridsan, tescoman, Temmitarts, everyone!
Scholastica16, I can't express the joy I felt in my heart every time you joined your faith with mine. God bless you!
P.S: Your rejoinders on the USA thread about MBA or no MBA made me laugh my head off! I itch for your Quora, Twitter, Medium, or any other account detail where you share your views. I'll send a PM.

#Fall2018 has been tortuous, a hell of a ride, but worth it still.
The knowledge that this is the beginning is quite funny. Internships, OPTs, H1-B, PhD. More rejections will come, but above all, we shall rise!

I will end with a famous quote which I do not know verbatim and will not check Google for, "Any fool can learn from his mistakes, it takes a wise man to learn from that of others."

Congrats! Welcome to US of A.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2018
please can someone use any other ID card like temporary NIN ID card to write GRE exam. I need suggestions please
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 10:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
Amahjosh:
please can someone use any other ID card like temporary NIN ID card to write GRE exam. I need suggestions please
NO

Get your international passport else you won't get in.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Spotlighte: 12:35am On Aug 06, 2018
Hello,

I've been quietly reading this thread from the beginning to this point just like I'm still doing with the general USA (students) enquiries thread (Femi 312 suggested I do that, and it's the best thing I've done so far).

Pardon me, I have two questions please:

First, I want to apply to UT at Austin for next master's admission. The application was opened yesterday for my Advertising course to end December 1 for fall 2019 and I haven't written the GRE yet. If I write it in October, is that okay? Can I still meet up with the application?

Second question: Almost everybody here swears on B. Y Mafit in Ikeja. I intend enrolling with them for this reason. My problem now is that I'm a Corps member who has to work 4 times a week save CDS days, and I figured out that the 2 months weekend classes won't do it for me, as it would mean me writing the exam late. What do I do?

I'm also looking at other schools offering advertising at graduate level. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by omolorlarh: 10:10am On Aug 06, 2018
Olalekank:

What if the passport has expired?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stargiirl: 10:16am On Aug 06, 2018
@Quoran I sent you a PM. Just want recent gre materials. Thanks smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 12:13pm On Aug 06, 2018
omolorlarh:

Tough one. To be honest, I don't know the answer to that. You can ask ETS to be sure.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:41pm On Aug 06, 2018
You will not be allowed to take the test. I have witnessed that before.
omolorlarh:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2018
Please,I Will do That later in the day.
stargiirl:
@Quoran I sent you a PM. Just want recent gre materials. Thanks smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 06, 2018
I will also need some of the latest materials. Thank you
Quoran:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by omolorlarh: 1:47pm On Aug 06, 2018
Olalekank:

Tough one. To be honest, I don't know the answer to that.
You can ask ETS to be sure.
Thank you
I will be writing the test sept and my passport has expired. can you help with ets email ?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by omolorlarh: 1:48pm On Aug 06, 2018
Quoran:
You will not be allowed to take the test. I have witnessed that before.

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femotechno(m): 4:08pm On Aug 06, 2018
Good day legends. I have read the page from page 1-392. Though it took me abt a week, it has really been worthwhile.
I am aspiring to be one of the testifier for fall 2019 in the forum. So.. Pls I will need response.

My profile summary are:

BEng, in Mechanical Engineering .....4.17/5.00

MSc in Mechanical Engineering ........5.7/7.0

Gre Score: 301 ( VA 144, QA 157, AWA 3.0)

Toefl Score: 88

One Published Paper, Several Conferences and seminars attended and skilled in various design and programming software

I know my profile is not great. Bt i am planning to apply for a PhD to 10 schools.

I intended to retake gre not only to improve my chance bt to augment cost of posting scores to schools.
Lemme explain the above.

I am considering using the free gre score report to schools that fits my previous 301 score in my next gre exam. This, I believe, will save the cost of reporting gre scores to the schs and probably increase my chances if I score higher.

I will appreciate any advice. Especially on school to select.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by stargiirl: 4:48pm On Aug 06, 2018
Quoran:

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mide419: 8:01pm On Aug 06, 2018
You know anyone looking for a top ranking UK University for Architecture, Physiotherapy, Psychology, LLB, LLM, Top up Nursing, Msc Mechanical, renewable energy, Digital Marketing, Top up Degrees for HND Holders or even top up degrees for 3rd class graduates?

No IELTS?
No application or visa processing charges?

Send an email to ac6746@coventry.ac.uk or chat me up on whatsapp 07030246270 ASAP

(1) (2) (3) ... (389) (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.