Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,083 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (424) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349825 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2018
ponpon:
November is upon us. Fall 2019 don’t sleep on it.

Email.[/b] Find that prof to give you the nod[b]

Ask seniors ( former fall people) to give you email format.

Make all your application materials one single file.

[/b]Use professional associations and job boards to find graduate assistantship positions.[b]

Sleep on it at your own risk.

Finally, hit “Patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com” Gre Toefl reg free Paid materials and basic OT

pls pon pon,
how do i go about doing all what you listed above, i have gotten list of schools,
i deliberately pick schools their deadline are next year to enable me study well, honestly i must say its has not been easy studying for gre and working at the same time. pls is thier anything wrong with the school i choose because thier deadline are next year? will i get any form of funding from them since thier deadline are next year?
Secondly, what material do i need to improve on my Q score, currently am using Nova, i need something different to improve my score.
apologies if this questions are annoying , maybe you have answered them somewhere in between the thread.
Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sillysassysally(f): 3:57pm On Nov 03, 2018
what email exactly did you get the message from?

Remen:
So I wrote my exam on the 31st of October and I just got this mail... what can dis mean pls?
Dear Candidate,
As you may be aware, your GRE/ GRG testing appointment scheduled with Prometric had to be cancelled due to Technical Issue for October 31st 2018.
You are required to contact ETS directly to get further assistance as the content of the exam has been viewed. They can be reached at ....., Monday – Friday 8AM to 7.45PM EST.

Please ignore this message if you have successfully rescheduled or contacted the client.
While we do our very best to avoid any disruption to the appointments, but from time to time cancellation of an appointment is unavoidable. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you and wish to make the scheduling process as easy as possible.
Thank you for your business and best wishes on your exam!

Best regards,
Prometric

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 4:06pm On Nov 03, 2018
sillysassysally:
what email exactly did you get the message from?

<candidatecare@prometric.com>
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Wretch32: 5:48pm On Nov 03, 2018
Are you insinuating that university of Ibadan could be better than any of those schools in America? Lmaoooo
hilaryxoxo:
Then he should just do his masters in University of Ibadan since it’ll arguably be better that these “B” “B-“ schools that’ll accept a 9th percentile quant score

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 7:55pm On Nov 03, 2018

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
1st diagnostic attempt (Manhattan) Q151 V156

...a month and GRE Chemistry test apart ...

2nd diagnostic attempt (Kaplan) Q158 V155

GRE (Nov 14) Q16_ V16_ AW 5 cool

Yes I can!

Where and how can I get free diagnostic tests? I intend to do the PowerPrep ones a few days to my exam.

Tried Crunchprep's free practice test?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2018
Ph.D. Assistantship Available in Computer
Engineering in Spring/Fall 2019 -
http://www.ele.uri.edu/faculty/binli/papers/PhDPosition.pdf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:23pm On Nov 03, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
I'd like some assistance with regard to choosing Universities in the US or Canada for admission and funding. I am not shooting for the stars and have modest and realist expectations as I've spent over $1000 already - exams, transcripts, and evaluation cry without even starting any applications. Looking to add another $1000 for application fees and official documents posting Lord! cry

Where do I start? I want to go for a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry / Pharmaceutical Science but it seems quite competitive from what I see on admission rates. I'm interested in Drug discovery and synthesis areas. Anyone with Uni suggestions, please.

My Profile:

BSc Biochemistry (2011) 3.25/4 (WES)
MRes Organic Chemistry (2016) 3.42/4 (WES)
Tests: IELTS 7.5; GRE Chemistry (on Saturday, not looking good)
GRE General (Nov 14th; Manhattan first attempt V156 Q151)
Research Experience: +2years uni thesis projects + research internship abroad that led to a conference publication and poster in Geneva.
Work Experience: QC chemist 2010 (Ind Training) + here and there med lab rat experiences. Unrelated work experience afterwards.
Professional: Assoc. Member Royal Society of Chemistry.

Unis I'm looking at:

SUNY Buffalo, NY
Washington State
Northeastern, MA

UofT, Canada (if GRE = 325+, AW 5.0)

amofum TheGrandChemist dmajor1 Ndawe MasterforceII Quoran omofola93 Time2Smile
happyday, texrem, LagosismyHome, iCool, seeker88, Topiipii, ponpon, rexCheeng, ChemEngr, femi312, Oludare01,walspring, Yilzid TowBayNah, Mfarad, scholastica16 drhopeful reDazey Seeker88, Ridsan ChemEngr01 Nastydamus

You have everything you require. Just take the GRE soon and make early applications. Take note however, that the GRE is just one aspect. You will need to make sure the other aspects of your application are strong.

As per schools, the schools you have up there are very good. Put more thought into it. Use LinkedIn to get a hold of some members of the faculty you are considering and try to contact professors where necessary. Not all will respond but you must take it in your stride. Most of them are very busy people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:25pm On Nov 03, 2018
scipy:
Hello guys,

Tried following the thread from beginning though I skipped some pages

I want to apply for a masters in business analytics in the US

Elect/Elect engineering 4.67/5.00
1yr consulting work experience

GRE: December 2018
TOEFL: January 2019

GRE approach (please help critic this):
AWA - Kaplan & Barron
Quantitative - Barron, Gruber, Nova & Manhattan
Verbal - Gruber & Barron

Schools I am considering are:

Georgia tech
University of Maryland
University of Illinois Chicago
University of California, San Diego

I know I am yet to write the GRE and this may heavily influence the choice of schools but I would appreciate advice on these ones and possibly others I can consider to land full funding. At this point, I just want to have a large pool of options to review.
Target number of applications is three.

Please I am here to learn, every opinion is welcome

Cc: Quoran, Scholastica16, shakaz, Sherlock5577

Full funding is difficult for masters but nothing is impossible. It is about reaching out to the right faculty in your proposed school.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:27pm On Nov 03, 2018
Remen:
So I wrote my exam on the 31st of October and I just got this mail... what can dis mean pls?
Dear Candidate,
As you may be aware, your GRE/ GRG testing appointment scheduled with Prometric had to be cancelled due to Technical Issue for October 31st 2018.
You are required to contact ETS directly to get further assistance as the content of the exam has been viewed. They can be reached at ....., Monday – Friday 8AM to 7.45PM EST.

Please ignore this message if you have successfully rescheduled or contacted the client.
While we do our very best to avoid any disruption to the appointments, but from time to time cancellation of an appointment is unavoidable. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you and wish to make the scheduling process as easy as possible.
Thank you for your business and best wishes on your exam!

Best regards,
Prometric

They cancelled your exam. Reconnect with them as they are supposed to reschedule you for another at no cost to you. You will even do better so..better for you.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:28pm On Nov 03, 2018
mrcodebreaker:
Wrote Gre today. Got 285. Q 140 V145. I am not looking for funding. What are my chances?

Depends on the other aspects of your profile. GPA..etc. How good are they?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:31pm On Nov 03, 2018
iamlucky:
Guys please I need your input. Below is my profile
CGPA 4.64/5 Chemical Engineering Uniben
1 publication still under review
First GRE (V154, Q163 AWA 4) second GRE (V153, Q167 awaiting AWA)
TOEFL :taking the test on Saturday
Schools:
Texas A&M
Illinois Tech
Turfts University
University of Toledo

What are my chances of getting TAMu or IIT

On point like a decimal.

IIT will be a waste of your time. Look at Uni of Florida, Delaware.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 10:36pm On Nov 03, 2018
Thanks. When do you think is late, my GRE is on the 14th
Scholastica16:

You have everything you require. Just take the GRE soon and make early applications. Take note however, that the GRE is just one aspect. You will need to make sure the other aspects of your application are strong.

As per schools, the schools you have up there are very good. Put more thought into it. Use LinkedIn to get a hold of some members of the faculty you are considering and try to contact professors where necessary. Not all will respond but you must take it in your stride. Most of them are very busy people.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 10:40pm On Nov 03, 2018
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
MasterforceII:

Tried Crunchprep's free practice test?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrcodebreaker: 11:24pm On Nov 03, 2018
Scholastica16:

Depends on the other aspects of your profile. GPA..etc. How good are they?

My gpa was 4.25/5.0. I dont really test well in all the preps. Even in the 2 preps I did that was my range. I got about 293 highest. And I really dont have time. My toefl is coming up in december. I will try and squeeze in time for another gre this month.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kylexy61(m): 11:36pm On Nov 03, 2018
Wretch32:
Are you insinuating that university of Ibadan could be better than any of those schools in America? Lmaoooo

The fact that a school is located in America doesn't necessarily mean it is better than EVERY university in Nigeria. There are 4000+ post secondary institutions in America and personally, I believe U of Ibadan is better than over 70% of them.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 11:50pm On Nov 03, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Wretch32: 12:56am On Nov 04, 2018
Well, your opinion
kylexy61:

The fact that a school is located in America doesn't necessarily mean it is better than EVERY university in Nigeria. There are 4000+ post secondary institutions in America and personally, I believe U of Ibadan is better than over 70% of them.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:32am On Nov 04, 2018
mrcodebreaker:

My gpa was 4.25/5.0. I dont really test well in all the preps. Even in the 2 preps I did that was my range. I got about 293 highest. And I really dont have time. My toefl is coming up in december. I will try and squeeze in time for another gre this month.

Your GPA is very good. Nothing amiss if you don't test well in standardized tests, it happens. Just make sure you explain it away in your SOP. And since you say funding is not key to you at this point, be wise in selecting schools to apply to. You can get good admissions as GRE is just one aspect.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:34am On Nov 04, 2018
kylexy61:

Better than 5, 10, maybe 15% of them, yes. Better than 70% of them...not in hell, no!

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:35am On Nov 04, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
Thanks. When do you think is late, my GRE is on the 14th

Anything before January is still good. January is not even bad at all but it favors people who have very good stats and are in communication with faculty already. Early bird gets the worm works outside the region I just described.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 1:41am On Nov 04, 2018
johnsonpal:
My profile
Computer science
3.6/4 (WES done)
TOEFL - 99
2 years of unrelated experience(just trying to get back)

Hey guys, I have been a silent follower on here for quite a while now. I finally took the GRE some weeks ago and I'm so sad and highly disappointed by my performance, It just below Par.
Preparation was for almost 3 months albeit abysmal. I kept procrastinating doing practice test till I eventually didn't do any.My not getting a reasonable score was all my fault.
Q 143 V 142 AWA 3.0
My faults
1. Not doing practice tests
2. Not leaning enough vocabs, I was only able to learn 300 or so satisfactoryly
3. Timing, I was slow
4. I left quite a number of questions unanswered, thinking I would come back to them, sadly, I couldn't
New plan
Will be retaking January
- Watch all magoosh video (I have a premium account)
- Do Atleast 5 practice tests
- Practice timing
-Improve vocabulary learning
And lastly, review the materials I used before

Manhattan 8books
Kaplan
Official ets guide 3rd edition
Manhattan 5lb
Nova math Bible
Princeton

So guys there is my story, please I need all the help I can get. Study plan, Materials I should consider, Schools Recommendation, Everything, Please

Every single resource you need is already here. I will just encourage practising. Hard time-based practice till you see GRE questions in your dreams. It is worth it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kylexy61(m): 6:39am On Nov 04, 2018
Scholastica16:

Better than 5, 10, maybe 15% of them, yes. Better than 70% of them...not in hell, no!

Better than only 15%, which implies that Ibadan should be ranked somewhere below 10,000th in the world. Come on, you can't really think that lowly of the best unis in Nigeria. Times Higher Education ranks it around 800-ish. Not even 1000 oo.

Well, no need to argue.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:11am On Nov 04, 2018
kylexy61:

Better than only 15%, which implies that Ibadan should be ranked somewhere below 10,000th in the world. Come on, you can't really think that lowly of the best unis in Nigeria. Times Higher Education ranks it around 800-ish. Not even 1000 oo.

Well, no need to argue.

All those rankings generally mean absolutely nothing. Last time I checked, Sheffield University in UK was rated top 70 in the world yet TAMU college station is about 115-150- I forget. I guarantee you, most Sheffield students will not even agree with that ranking.

As a rule of thumb, I like to make my assessments on these issues with what I have seen on ground. As it stands, any world ranking of universities I see that does not even have US schools occupying the top 10 position, I render it- trash... null...void. That is not to say other schools are not good. They very well are. US schools are for the most part just better and you will have to see it to know it.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 8:24am On Nov 04, 2018
Scholastica16:

All those rankings generally mean absolutely nothing. Last time I checked, Sheffield University in UK was rated top 70 in the world yet TAMU college station is about 115-150- I forget. I guarantee you, most Sheffield students will not even agree with that ranking.

As a rule of thumb, I like to make my assessments on these issues with what I have seen on ground. As it stands, any world ranking of universities I see that does not even have US schools occupying the top 10 position, I render it- trash... null...void. That is not to say other schools are not good. They very well are. US schools are for the most part just better and you will have to see it to know it.

Man like Scholastica � Couldn't agree more. Good to have you here. How's your program going?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:32am On Nov 04, 2018
See response I got from a prof I mailed at UMass. His research aligns with my interests although he's in the computer science dept and I have my BSc in Elect/Elect. Would you advise I proceed to submit my application? Application to the school is expensive - have to send official scores, transcript, and pay an application fee of $80 - and I don't know how much of an assurance this reply is.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 04, 2018
MasterforceII:
See response I got from a prof I mailed at UMass. His research aligns with my interests although he's in the computer science dept and I have my BSc in Elect/Elect. Would you advise I proceed to submit my application? Application to the school is expensive - have to send official scores, transcript, and pay an application fee of $80 - and I don't know how much of an assurance this reply is.

I believe you have a good profile which I have seen already.

NO Professor can single-handedly verbally guarantee your admission to a PhD program as most times admissions are decided by a committee. Nevertheless, I believe he has given you assurances already so I encourage you to apply and if he is on the admission committee then your chances go up.

For me, a better way to gauge your chances of admission is to look at the profile of currents students(incoming class profile and admission statistics) also check if minorities are adequately represented (if no your chances go up)

Please don't take this advice seriously as it is coming from someone that has never filed a grad school app in the US but will be filing soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 04, 2018
Scholastica16:

Nah Bro. In as much as I agree with your assertion, I believe Oxford and Cambridge belong in the top 10.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 11:06am On Nov 04, 2018
Ok I would submit all my applications before Mid-December.

How's your program (PhD?) going, Do you get to do some teaching?

Scholastica16:

Anything before January is still good. January is not even bad at all but it favors people who have very good stats and are in communication with faculty already. Early bird gets the worm works outside the region I just described.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 11:32am On Nov 04, 2018
How many of the US institutions have you been to? 70% you say cheesy Universities that are part of striking ASUU undecided I understand if you want to stoke your ego but on what basis is UI better than any even lowest ranked US university that could be a1,000 times better funded than UI?

Looking into STEM fields, what equipments are in UI and how much access is a regular student granted? XRD, NMR, MS or MM modelling software. For chemistry in labs abroad, acetone is used to wash glassware, like it's free and you could use up infinite amount of solvents learning the ropes for flash chromatography.

I'm sure you're trolling, if not then I wonder. How much goes into education in Nigeria? How much external funds does UI get how much is internally generated and how often and much do the staff get payed and owed? A cursory look at universities website tells a lot and when did they start using one. I suggest you read an article by Pius Adesanmi on Education and universities in Nigeria. How many foreign students are in Nigerian unis, you think if it was so good even in West Africa there wouldn't be lots of foreigners here?

Say what you know and be proud of your uni but don't talk about what you know nothing about. If you compare universities like high schools, based on students and alumni performance as a result of teaching, perhaps. but universities are mainly the birthplace of new knowledge and you damn need a whole lot of money for that.

I'd rather send my ward to Ghana for an education than Nigeria. Simple transcript and responding to emails they need genuises for that.

** There's a researcher who collaborated with a professional association of scientists to send old model lab instruments that have been replaced to African universities for very subsidised rates, sometimes even for free. They occasionally come around to teach your uni professors how to operate old low resolution models of spectrometers.

Nigerian universities are based on rote memorisation that's why AW on GRE record low scores. We were never taught or encouraged to question, just follow, do as I do. That's why you have professors with huge egos abusing students in Nigeria.

You can memorise how an electron microscope works but can you deduce the principles behind it and why one is needed in the first place to build a better and more affordable based on paucity of funds in the 3rd world. Raman was Indian and developed Raman Spectroscopy in India and won the Nobel Prize that's how you measure universities (Places where knowledge is generated that becomes useful for future inventions) how do you do that with hungry lecturers, can you even do research without funds? but even then our tertiary institutions began in the 60s, while universities have been in existence way before the 10th century.

Tip for you: go to a university where there is more money per member than big ego 'prestigious' universities that strike over workers emoluments.

kylexy61:

Well, no need to argue.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
How many of the US institutions have you been to? 70% you say cheesy Universities that are part of striking ASUU undecided I understand if you want to stoke your ego but on what basis is UI better than any even lowest ranked US university that could be a1,000 times better funded than UI?

Looking into STEM fields, what equipments are in UI and how much access is a regular student granted? XRD, NMR, MS or MM modelling software. For chemistry in labs abroad, acetone is used to wash glassware, like it's free and you could use up infinite amount of solvents learning the ropes for flash chromatography.

I'm sure you're trolling, if not then I wonder. How much goes into education in Nigeria? How much external funds does UI get how much is internally generated and how often and much do the staff get payed and owed? A cursory look at universities website tells a lot and when did they start using one. I suggest you read an article by Pius Adesanmi on Education and universities in Nigeria. How many foreign students are in Nigerian unis, you think if it was so good even in West Africa there wouldn't be lots of foreigners here?

Say what you know and be proud of your uni but don't talk about what you know nothing about. If you compare universities like high schools, based on students and alumni performance as a result of teaching, perhaps. but universities are mainly the birthplace of new knowledge and you damn need a whole lot of money for that.

I'd rather send my ward to Ghana for an education than Nigeria. Simple transcript and responding to emails they need genuises for that.

** There's a researcher who collaborated with a professional association of scientists to send old model lab instruments that have been replaced to African universities for very subsidised rates, sometimes even for free. They occasionally come around to teach your uni professors how to operate old low resolution models of spectrometers.

Nigerian universities are based on rote memorisation that's why AW on GRE record low scores. We were never taught or encouraged to question, just follow, do as I do. That's why you have professors with huge egos abusing students in Nigeria.

You can memorise how an electron microscope works but can you deduce the principles behind it and why one is needed in the first place to build a better and more affordable based on paucity of funds in the 3rd world. Raman was Indian and developed Raman Spectroscopy in India and won the Nobel Prize that's how you measure universities (Places where knowledge is generated that becomes useful for future inventions) how do you do that with hungry lecturers, can you even do research without funds? but even then our tertiary institutions began in the 60s, while universities have been in existence way before the 10th century.

Tip for you: go to a university where there is more money per member than big ego 'prestigious' universities that strike over workers emoluments.

True. But I think it makes sense to try as much as possible to apply the best school your profile affords you.

Going to UI is far better than going to an[b] unaccredited [/b]school in the USA
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sillysassysally(f): 12:08pm On Nov 04, 2018
Check the rankings for yourself.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2019/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

University of Ibadan and Covenant University fall between 601-800th globally. University of Nigeria falls above 1,001+

Wretch32:

(1) (2) (3) ... (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.