Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348290 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 5:48am On Nov 07, 2018
Pls, who has a Avery good template for LOR.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Macaulay10(m): 5:55am On Nov 07, 2018
DorianD:

pls help a brother in need as well... joshuaadejoh0@gmail.com...thanks
Done

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Macaulay10(m): 5:56am On Nov 07, 2018
Officialhow:

imperfect4real@gmail.com
Done
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DARKLASER: 6:23am On Nov 07, 2018
MasterforceII:

Hi. Nice selection of schools. Are you looking at Fall 2019? Have you written GRE/TOEFL?
I'm writing them this month. Infact my GRE is this week.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Shadbay(m): 8:26am On Nov 07, 2018
lexychuks:
I promised to give my own account of my experience writing GRE due to the valuable information I got from this thread. I wrote my GRE today at the world famous JKK centre.

I finally summoned the courage to write GRE September this year. I planned to write it in October so as to have ample time and apply to various schools. Fortunately for me, when I visited BY Mafit, I was informed there was no free spot for the month of October and that I had to select a date in November. I was sad at first but had to accept the sad reality.

I then decided to visit my favourite Nairaland to seek clues about the GRE from the gurus. I went through this thread from pages 1 to the end and realised I would have failed GRE if I thought I could just freestyle and write it in October with barely a month to prepare.

I downloaded all the books recommended, Manhattan 5lb (God bless this book), Official Guide by ETS, and GRE General Test cram plan for the Quantitative Analysis. I also downloaded the Grubber, Magoosh Vocabulary flashcard, and downloaded the magoosh videos.

Based on the recommendation of this thread, I took my first Powerprep test to first determine where I stand before I start my studying. I scored 304 (148 verbal reasoning 156 Quantitative Analysis). Then I realised I had a long way to go. I began my studying focusing on the areas I messed up in the test. After doing this, I became cocky and decided to take the GRE practice test 1 in the ETS Official Guide under timed conditions to simulate the exam and still scored 147 Verbal and 154 Quantitative (301).

I became scared. I was moving backwards. The English was hard, I kept making silly mistakes in the Quantitative. I decided to study completely Manhattan 5lb to brush up my QA. The book exposed me to various secrets of QA. I would recommend this book to anyone.

I then studied Grubber for VR as well as the ETS official guide (These two books seem okay for me to recommend) . I learnt how to eliminate wrong answers and select the correct one, the best method of attacking text Completion and sentence equivalence. I downloaded the Magoosh vocabulary builder and practiced everyday learning new words. I did this throughout the month of October. I took the Barron simulation test and scored 310. I then began to feel I was making progress and would score above 309 which was my target.

I however took the Second power PREP exam and scored 306. I was completely devastated. I had to start praying against any spirit of 30 something because it was beginning to look like a curse. I was frustrated and angry and I just wanted to postpone the exam. My mum however encouraged me and I decided to take the exam 5th of November.

Please where can I download the Magoosh videos?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 9:18am On Nov 07, 2018
DARKLASER:
Evening bosses, please I need your advise concerning choice of schools. I've done my search though, buh would welcome your thoughts concerning them.
Petroleum Engineering graduate
No publications
Gp-4.62/5.0
MSC/PhD Petroleum Engineering.. Preferably MSc though.
Schools in view
TAMU
U of Southern California
Texas Tech
Colorado school of mines
Louisiana state University
U of Oklahoma
U of Houston
U of Tulsa

I would really appreciate your contributions, even if it's small.
Arigato..
You have a good profile.
You just need to ace your standardized tests and contact potential supervisors.
You've made a good selection of schools, because they are good sites for petroleum research (close to the Gulf of Mexico).

Admits for Fall 2019 has begun for some schools, so you need to act fast about your next move.

All the best!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by omocalabar(m): 9:36am On Nov 07, 2018
lexychuks:
I promised to give my own account of my experience writing GRE due to the valuable information I got from this thread. I wrote my GRE today at the world famous JKK centre.

I finally summoned the courage to write GRE September this year. I planned to write it in October so as to have ample time and apply to various schools. Fortunately for me, when I visited BY Mafit, I was informed there was no free spot for the month of October and that I had to select a date in November. I was sad at first but had to accept the sad reality.

I then decided to visit my favourite Nairaland to seek clues about the GRE from the gurus. I went through this thread from pages 1 to the end and realised I would have failed GRE if I thought I could just freestyle and write it in October with barely a month to prepare.

I downloaded all the books recommended, Manhattan 5lb (God bless this book), Official Guide by ETS, and GRE General Test cram plan for the Quantitative Analysis. I also downloaded the Grubber, Magoosh Vocabulary flashcard, and downloaded the magoosh videos.

Based on the recommendation of this thread, I took my first Powerprep test to first determine where I stand before I start my studying. I scored 304 (148 verbal reasoning 156 Quantitative Analysis). Then I realised I had a long way to go. I began my studying focusing on the areas I messed up in the test. After doing this, I became cocky and decided to take the GRE practice test 1 in the ETS Official Guide under timed conditions to simulate the exam and still scored 147 Verbal and 154 Quantitative (301).

I became scared. I was moving backwards. The English was hard, I kept making silly mistakes in the Quantitative. I decided to study completely Manhattan 5lb to brush up my QA. The book exposed me to various secrets of QA. I would recommend this book to anyone.

I then studied Grubber for VR as well as the ETS official guide (These two books seem okay for me to recommend) . I learnt how to eliminate wrong answers and select the correct one, the best method of attacking text Completion and sentence equivalence. I downloaded the Magoosh vocabulary builder and practiced everyday learning new words. I did this throughout the month of October. I took the Barron simulation test and scored 310. I then began to feel I was making progress and would score above 309 which was my target.

I however took the Second power PREP exam and scored 306. I was completely devastated. I had to start praying against any spirit of 30 something because it was beginning to look like a curse. I was frustrated and angry and I just wanted to postpone the exam. My mum however encouraged me and I decided to take the exam 5th of November.
i just mailed u sir.....pls reply....or wassap me 08061107290 thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 9:49am On Nov 07, 2018
DARKLASER:

I'm writing them this month. Infact my GRE is this week.

Okay. Goodluck. Get a very good score and admission shouldn't be a problem.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 10:21am On Nov 07, 2018
Congratulations! It would be nice if you shared your GRE and admissions experience.
slamcole:
Hello there, I just got an offer of admission for an MS program at the University of Southern Mississippi, which also comes with a full tuition waiver and stipends. The sum of the assistantship is more than the estimated cost of study for a whole academic year. I will like to know if I still need to send an account statement with a balance exceeding the estimated cost of study or not. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 1:50pm On Nov 07, 2018
Macaulay10:
Done
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 2:31pm On Nov 07, 2018
So I wrote my exam today @JKK.
And I had Q-156 V-151...
Any which way, I'm grateful to God.
300L Biochemistry and by next year I'll be graduating to start application.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2018
Officialhow:
And I had Q-156 V-151...
Congratulation. I salute your act of proactiveness

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 5:26pm On Nov 07, 2018
Officialhow:
And I had Q-156 V-151...
Congrats! Are you here in Lagos?

I'm in 4th year also and finishing 500 level next year, writing my GRE in December, CS fall 2020
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 6:24pm On Nov 07, 2018
Olalekank:

Congrats! Are you here in Lagos?

I'm in 4th year also and finishing 500 level next year, writing my GRE in December, CS fall 2020

I'm presently on I.T @yaba

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DONPablosugar: 11:01pm On Nov 07, 2018
Officialhow:

I'm presently on I.T @yaba
Fast guy... so you no won do NYSC abi.... remember Mrs Kemi Adeosun o
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DONPablosugar: 11:07pm On Nov 07, 2018
Scholastica16:

I am sure you do no......

You are indeed intelligent with the way you killed the argument for any counterpoints in advance. I feel you. I wish to find time to drink beer with you like mad sometime during summer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Officialhow(m): 12:29am On Nov 08, 2018
DONPablosugar:

Fast guy... so you no won do NYSC abi.... remember Mrs Kemi Adeosun o

LOL If God says I will come, I will serve anytime... And it won't make me the first PhD holder to serve

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 7:54am On Nov 09, 2018
Macaulay10:
Drop your email

Metony15@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mrcodebreaker: 10:54am On Nov 09, 2018
Guys with my 285 which was Q 140 and V 145 and 4.0 in Analytics and 4.23 CGPA from uni. I sent my scores to these schools on test day last week which are Uni of Tulsa, Uni of Utah, Texas Elpaso, Texas A and M Kingsville. Do you guys think I stand a chance? I'm going for course based masters and not seeking funding from the uni. I have been out of school a while and I dont think I want to do research. Opinions please.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by smoothblaise(m): 11:35am On Nov 09, 2018
mrcodebreaker:
Guys with my 285 which was Q 140 and V 145 and 4.0 in Analytics and 4.23 CGPA from uni. I sent my scores to these schools on test day last week which are Uni of Tulsa, Uni of Utah, Texas Elpaso, Texas A and M Kingsville. Do you guys think I stand a chance? I'm going for course based masters and not seeking funding from the uni. I have been out of school a while and I dont think I want to do research. Opinions please.
---------
U have a good gpa and stand a good chance in tesas a&m university kingsville also check paririe view a&m university those schools don't really lay high emphasis on gre also check east Tennessee state university I have seen people with ur scores get merit scholarship of 50 percent and read general usa visa trend on nairaland from part 13

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gargoyle: 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2018
Good day guys

Please I have a quick question.

How does the WES thing work?

Do I need to upload my transcript to their website or do I send them the official transcript?

Also, after the evaluation, do they send a copy to me or just to the school of my choice?

It's quite urgent please. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 1:41pm On Nov 09, 2018
gargoyle:
Good day guys

Please I have a quick question.

How does the WES thing work?

You can read the FAQs on their website

Do I need to upload my transcript to their website or do I send them the official transcript?
Official documents, sent by the issuing institution(s), are required after you must have payed for the evaluation.

Also, after the evaluation, do they send a copy to me or just to the school of my choice?
Those are options that you could pay for.

It's quite urgent please. Thanks in anticipation.
WES evaluation takes time so it can't be that urgent.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 5:12am On Nov 10, 2018
Soon your major might not require Gre anymore !
Officialhow:
And I had Q-156 V-151...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 1:55pm On Nov 10, 2018
Hi guys? How are our exam prep and applications going? #Fall2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sillysassysally(f): 5:08pm On Nov 10, 2018
Trying to push it... How's yours?

MasterforceII:
Hi guys? How are our exam prep and applications going? #Fall2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 5:47pm On Nov 10, 2018
sillysassysally:
Trying to push it... How's yours?

Pushing it too. Sent some applications in. Hoping to be rewarded for applying early. grin
Can't wait to start seeing admits for fall19 on this thread.
Are you still looking at MBA programs?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 7:21pm On Nov 10, 2018
MasterforceII:

Pushing it too. Sent some applications in. Hoping to be rewarded for applying early. grin
Can't wait to start seeing admits for fall19 on this thread.
Are you still looking at MBA programs?

Same here too. Hoping to be rewarded for applying early.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 11:57pm On Nov 10, 2018
How did u all play the audio on d pdf of the Toefl ets guide volume 4.. I need help please.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:55am On Nov 11, 2018
just took TOEFL ....studied just for 3 days and I might have bombed the speaking section ...didn't know what to say.
I didn't get to send the scores .
it doesn't show you your raw marks (at least for reading and listening )
a whole new experience ,lol
I hope I did good
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Miaanita(f): 7:15am On Nov 11, 2018
Good morning beautiful people, thanks for always assisting and also being there for Us

Pls i'd like to know if i can include my unofficial transcript copy with the mail am about sending to the "Graduate Program Coordinator" when asking for FUNDING POLICIES though am just about to write GRE and TOEFL..

very Urgent pls
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Miaanita(f): 7:15am On Nov 11, 2018
Good morning beautiful people, thanks for always assisting and also being there for Us

Pls i'd like to know if i can include my unofficial transcript copy with the mail am about sending to the "Graduate Program Coordinator" when asking for FUNDING POLICIES though am just about to write GRE and TOEFL..

very Urgent pls
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by highskies(m): 8:32am On Nov 11, 2018
Good day everyone, I honestly appreciate this group.

I am interested in undertaking doctoral studies in US or Canada (with possibility of funding) depending on which is most likely considering my profile.

I want to apply for a PhD Environmental engineering or PhD Biological and Agricultural Engineering.

My profile is as follows :

- BEng Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering: 2.52/5.0 (US conv. 2.6/4.0)

- MSc Environmental engineering: 5.3/7.0 (US conv. 3.4/4.0)

- GRE 152 Q, 142 V and 4.0 A

Pls I need your advice my people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.