Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,262 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (436) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347956 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 10:50am On Dec 09, 2018
The Manhattan 8 books series starts from the basics but I agree he should have those books handy. It would erroneous to ignore the background of people who score highly on the GRE only to attribute it to their preparation time.
There's a popular article on Medium about "How to score 330+ in 20 days" The guy was just going on about how elementary and high schooly the GRE quants is although he mentioned if you were solid in high school or a math major quants shouldn't give any problems. These guys easily score 320+ cold so their 10 days-340 scores are usually due to their experiences+preparation.
People who smashed SATs do better on AW and Verbal and on tests like the GRE compared with people who didn't at all. So, people should know themselves and manage expectations if they don't have time to begin from elementary stuff.
STENON:
Sorry about that. Please Don't start preparation by GRE textbooks for quantitative. Go and buy new general mathematics for JSS1, JSS2 and then move to new general maths for Ss1 and ss2. After that, you can start going over GRE quantitative textbooks. All the best to you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 11:11am On Dec 09, 2018
I hate to break it to you, but your arguments do not hold up. To get higher score (s)he needs to start from from the official test diagnostics or more evaluative practice tests. Let our comments be more encouraging, sometimes even harmless sarcasm can deepen the pits of depression. Nigeria is already too stress biko.

STENON:
My intention is to assist him and score high even without the assistance of any tutor. It is easier to get sound knowledge from the basic maths textbook before dabbling to GRE textbook.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 11:16am On Dec 09, 2018
In other news, I/O Psychology (PhD) applicants can check out Louisiana State Uni. There's a professor seeking a student for her diversity lab. Being a black female, or LGBTQ may give you an advantage.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
You have time so there is nothing to be scared about. As a rule, never register for the exam before you start preparing. It would only increase your anxiety and frustration index. Just have a deadline in your head and prepare like that's your exam day.

I'd suggest you complete all 8 Manhattan books including the 5lb. Work at your pace but try to do more each study time. Look at GRE this way: "I have to finish all these books before I take a practice test" If your score is 300+ you could then register for the exam and work on your weaknesses. Also complete all the official GRE books and materials you can find. Trust if you do these you'd be upper 80th percentile. I'd also recommend you self-study first because it's good training to learn about yourself and learning preferences especially for a prospective PhD that would likely be required to teach undergraduates at Harvard or Stanford. If all else fails, get a tutor.
For the schools you're aiming at, you'll need 99th percentile scores and your Master's degree should be perfect or and have an outstanding research.

A strategy from an Oxford final year science undergrad was that he worked out at least 200 quant questions of each question type. This was someone that had 323 cold o. He ended up 2 months later with 338 (Q170 V168 AW6). So, it can be done with time and effort.

Stop misleading people you don't need a 99percentile to get an admit at those schools. Of course, a top score does not hurt.

2) For you to even be admitted to Oxford you probably have a solid background in Maths same cant be said of this guy in question. So this is a poor analogy.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2018
Postfut:

Stop misleading people you don't need a 99percentile to get an admit at those schools. Of course, a top score does not hurt.
Of course, they usually have their minimums on the website and the holistic criteria narrative for admission but consider that almost everyone who'd have a 99%ile would apply to those schools + more emphasis is placed on GRE for applications from outside the US and unknown universities. I only assume (s)he isn't the lad winning all the awards in his/her university at the moment, so a 99th percentile target isn't out of place.
Besides, having a first and best graduating accolades from Nigeria with an atrocious 15%ile GRE scores only hurts your application and the academic rigour of university if anything. I'm a realist not a motivational speaker. But you're right, 99th percentile isn't all that is needed because they get rejected too.

2) For you to even be admitted to Oxford you probably have a solid background in Maths same cant be said of this guy in question. So this is a poor analogy.
I was talking about an Oxford student's GRE experience, not Oxford admissions. Oxford is easier to get in if you meet the minimums and have money to pay their school fees.

You should read this too: http://blogs.cofc.edu/honors/2017/04/10/i-was-rejected-by-every-phd-program-i-applied-to-this-year-i-got-into-my-top-choice-heres-how/

Perhaps I’d been overconfident, but the string of rejections caught me off-guard. During the application process, I’d felt as if I had my bases covered: A full scholarship during my undergraduate studies as an honors student, a master’s degree in anthropology, a year of research under my belt while on a prestigious Fulbright fellowship. One of my letters of recommendation had been written by a MacArthur genius. I’d thought I was a shoo-in. Where had I gone wrong?

The simple answer: I’d overestimated the odds of acceptance. In recent years, the number of applications to graduate schools has swelled while the pot of money available to them, especially to applicants outside of the hard sciences, has shrunk. Harvard’s Department of Anthropology, for example, receives over 250 applications each year, but only has spots for fewer than 10 students. That’s around a 4% acceptance rate. Other departments are even more exclusive—not necessarily because they desire to be, but because they lack the resources (including both funding and faculty) to admit more people."
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 09, 2018
CptCharlesVane:

Of course, they usually have their minimums on the website and the holistic criteria narrative for admission but consider that almost everyone who'd have a 99%ile would apply to those schools + more emphasis is placed on GRE for applications from outside the US and unknown universities. I only assume (s)he isn't the lad winning all the awards in his/her university at the moment, so a 99th percentile target isn't out of place.
Besides, having a first and best graduating accolades from Nigeria with an atrocious 15%ile GRE scores only hurts your application and the academic rigour of university if anything. I'm a realist not a motivational speaker. But you're right, 99th percentile isn't all that is needed because they get rejected too.

I was talking about an Oxford student's GRE experience, not Oxford admissions. Oxford is easier to get in if you meet the minimums and have money to pay their school fees.

You should read this too: http://blogs.cofc.edu/honors/2017/04/10/i-was-rejected-by-every-phd-program-i-applied-to-this-year-i-got-into-my-top-choice-heres-how/

In as much I agree with you.No one can tell you the magic pill that will get you an admit to top schools, good GRE helps but does not guarantee an admit at top schools. What happened to LORs, SOPs, Extracurriculars, GPA, Research Experience, Publication etc.

This guy got into Havard(A Nigerian ) without the perfect score or prestigious school tag.

https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/371#68743725

In fact, you can be denied admission for a diversity of reasons. I encourage everyone to read the link above. I have seen 315 get into Stanford and have seen 330 GRE score denied.

By the way, it is definitely NOT easy to get into Oxford.

PS. For your info, I have read that link before.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 1:36pm On Dec 09, 2018
Pls who can give the password to GRE Kaptest?

I need access to the online tests
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 2:13pm On Dec 09, 2018
Postfut:

In as much I agree with you.No one can tell you the magic pill that will get you an admit to top schools, good GRE helps but does not guarantee an admit at top schools. What happened to LORs, SOPs, Extracurriculars, GPA, Research Experience, Publication etc.

This guy got into Havard(A Nigerian ) without the perfect score or prestigious school tag.

https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/371#68743725

In fact, you can be denied admission for a diversity of reasons. I encourage everyone to read the link above. I have seen 315 get into Stanford and have seen 330 GRE score denied.
Yes, like I said previously 99 percentiles also get rejected. The person is you referenced who got in never disclosed their profile and educational background but scored 322 /4.5 on the GRE, not perfect but was surprised when (s)he was denied admission by Harvard University perhaps that should have told you something. I'm not one for wishy washy sweet stories, I go by statistics. For all we know the person is a Nigerian with 322 GRE that got into Harvard. Would you be surprised if you got a 4.0/5 CGPA top 15% in your department, never was the outstanding student anytime throughout your academic history, no work experience in a prestigious company and with that GRE score if you get rejected from Harvard? If you had only $100 for one application, would you apply to Harvard with this profile? Perhaps you would and you'd advise someone to but I won't and won't advise it.
I also mentioned again that I assume this person isn't the lad winning all the awards in the university. A number of Nigerians are Harvard alumni so I never mentioned anything about Nigerians not getting admissions.

By the way, it is definitely NOT easy to get into Oxford.

PS. For your info, I have read that link before.

Talk about what you know. I only said it was easier to get into Oxford university if you meet the minimums and can pay the school fees. There a lot of self-funded PhDs in Cambridge and Oxford that are not the superstars you might think, if they were, they probably won't be paying for it.

I've lost the point of this. I never said the lad shouldn't apply neither did I mention that only 99%iles get admitted. My post was directed and it is not out of place. A 99%ile score would guarantee an application is looked as long as the minimums are met and for the schools (s)he is considering it isn't an unrealistic target.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2018
CptCharlesVane:

Yes, like I said previously 99 percentiles also get rejected. The person is you referenced who got in never disclosed their profile and educational background but scored 322 /4.5 on the GRE, not perfect but was surprised when (s)he was denied admission by Harvard University perhaps that should have told you something. I'm not one for wishy washy sweet stories, I go by statistics. For all we know the person is a Nigerian with 322 GRE that got into Harvard. Would you be surprised if you got a 4.0/5 CGPA top 15% in your department, never was the outstanding student anytime throughout your academic history, no work experience in a prestigious company and with that GRE score if you get rejected from Harvard? If you had only $100 for one application, would you apply to Harvard with this profile? Perhaps you would and you'd advise someone to but I won't and won't advise it.
I also mentioned again that I assume this person isn't the lad winning all the awards in the university. A number of Nigerians are Harvard alumni so I never mentioned anything about Nigerians not getting admissions.

Talk about what you know. I only said it was easier to get into Oxford university if you meet the minimums and can pay the school fees. There a lot of self-funded PhDs in Cambridge and Oxford that are not the superstars you might think, if they were, they probably won't be paying for it.

I've lost the point of this. I never said the lad shouldn't apply neither did I mention that only 99%iles get admitted. My post was directed and it is not out of place. A 99%ile score would guarantee an application is looked as long as the minimums are met and for the schools (s)he is considering it isn't an unrealistic target.

Yes we can't tell same for the guy who asked or submitted his profile in the first place for evaluation. My point is we should stop throwing blanket assertions about what will get you an admit into a top school. Of course the "sweeter" your profile the better for you but still there are no guarantees or assurances except explicitly stated on the school's website. Peeps with "mediocre" profile have gotten in while those with "superstar" profile have been rejected and vice-versa. I repeat a "99 percentile" will boost your chances but guarantees nothing you can only know about your chances until you try and apply first.

Oh common not a fan of saccharine stories and a firm believer in statistics yet you have failed to drop one to back up your "facts"

So being on a self-funded Phd program equals to being easier to get in? Even at that, there are also shitloads of scholarship at Oxbridge too. There students who are fully funded programs there too.

Lastly, we do not know if the person in question has only 100$ left. As we make statements please put some caveats and restrain from hasty generalization except you have a reliable source that backs it up. An innocent lad seeing your post and without a 99percentile might be discouraged to apply if we keep making statements like this based on conjectures.

@All, If you do not have a 99 percentile please still apply to your dream school and other "safe schools" you never can tell until you try. No one on this forum can confidently tell your admission chances.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sholarr12: 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
doziej84:

Pls who can give the password to GRE Kaptest?

I need access to the online tests
Username: doziej84@gmail.com
Password: nairaland123456

Use these login details to log in and do a lot of practice tests. I created the account for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 5:30pm On Dec 09, 2018
How you conveniently re-engineered my benign comment of encouragement and motivation to one that discourages people from applying to their dream schools is quite impressive really. You might as well be arguing with your self about 99th percentile GRE admission prospects.

1. His target schools and his GRE score only led to the assumptions that I made. For someone struggling with the GRE, at the brink of giving up trying, and having only Harvard and Stanford type schools on his list.
2. Saccharine stories for me is your type of disjointed logic. The only information about the person you referenced was her GRE score and deduce she is nigerian. If you simply believe just because she is nigerian and on nairaland and got into Harvard everyone can, fine. But I would bet my onions that she was surprised about her denied admission decision mainly because of information she never disclosed. Obviously, maybe not to you, she was quite confident about her chances. You don't believe, fine but don't accuse me of misleading people when there are increasing numbers of quality students not making the cut.

Here, again from the same article you said you read:
"Acceptance always involves some degree of luck. As one professor at Harvard told me after I had been turned down, “I am not at all sure that the reason for your not getting in was entirely your fault. My view is that it was primarily due to the fact that the applicant pool was very large and the number of places allowed to us very few. To give an example: We had at least seven Africanists who could have expected to be accepted at any first-rate university in the USA. We were only permitted to admit one. As a result of the very low acceptance ratio, the process has a high level of serendipity to it."

If one has an slightly above average educational history, not standing out at any point in academics, no awards invariably no shiny recommendations, a 99th percentile GRE would give adcoms a benefit of a doubt in that case, to consider reasons your profile should be considered above those 'superstars' with glowing recommendations from Nobel laurettes.

And YES, being on a self-funded PhD has much greater chances of admission than being funded by the department or faculty member. The real competition lies where the money is at. I mean you meet the requirements for admission into Oxford or Cambridge and can conveniently pay £40k+ for 3-4 years including money on rent etc, how many people would be competing for that? This isn't just hypothetical, I know people who have admission letters. It seems I'm more optimistic here than you are, how ironic.

It's not about $100 left or not, I only used that to explain my point. From the information given, it showed either the person does not know what lies ahead or the competition he is up against and I inferred and made my suggestion appropriately. You are the one making an encouraging comment seem like a warning. Why haven't you talked about how his masters should be perfect and how people without perfect masters get into Harvard?

I see you are suggesting 'safe' schools, why didn't you advise him about adding those, instead chose to pick out my comment.

By the way, this is an anonymous forum, and being one prevents people from disclosing full information about their profiles. So, if I claim or actually got into MIT and I share my GPA and GRE score, that is too little information to run away with and start preaching the 'mediocre students get into Harvard too' sermon. I might have attended some of the best schools and referenced by world-renowned faculty members who mentored someone on the admission committee. Not everyone on nairaland attended school in Nigeria. You simply don't know so I'll rather use the story and account of an Ivy league fulbright scholar and Harvard professor whose profiles are out there along with others as a yardstick than a nairaland anecdote. You don't have do the same, neither did I ask you or anyone to.

The End! Back to my corner.
Postfut:

Yes we can't tell same for the guy who asked or submitted his profile in the first place for evaluation. My point is we should stop throwing blanket assertions about what will get you an admit into a top school. Of course the "sweeter" your profile the better for you but still there are no guarantees or assurances except explicitly stated on the school's website. Peeps with "mediocre" profile have gotten in while those with "superstar" profile have been rejected and vice-versa. I repeat a "99 percentile" will boost your chances but guarantees nothing you can only know about your chances until you try and apply first.

Oh common not a fan of saccharine stories and a firm believer in statistics yet you have failed to drop one to back up your "facts"

So being on a self-funded Phd program equals to being easier to get in? Even at that, there are also shitloads of scholarship at Oxbridge too. There students who are fully funded programs there too.

Lastly, we do not know if the person in question has only 100$ left. As we make statements please put some caveats and restrain from hasty generalization except you have a reliable source that backs it up. An innocent lad seeing your post and without a 99percentile might be discouraged to apply if we keep making statements like this based on conjectures.

@All, If you do not have a 99 percentile please still apply to your dream school and other "safe schools" you never can tell until you try. No one on this forum can confidently tell your admission chances.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
CptCharlesVane:
How you conveniently re-engineered my benign comment of encouragement and motivation to one that discourages people from applying to their dream schools is quite impressive really. You might as well be arguing with your self about 99th percentile GRE admission prospects.

1. His target schools and his GRE score only led to the assumptions that I made. For someone struggling with the GRE, at the brink of giving up trying, and having only Harvard and Stanford type schools on his list.
2. Saccharine stories for me is your type of disjointed logic. The only information about the person you referenced was her GRE score and deduce she is nigerian. If you simply believe just because she is nigerian and on nairaland and got into Harvard everyone can, fine. But I would bet my onions that she was surprised about her denied admission decision mainly because of information she never disclosed. Obviously, maybe not to you, she was quite confident about her chances. You don't believe, fine but don't accuse me of misleading people when there are increasing numbers of quality students not making the cut.

Here, again from the same article you said you read:

If one has an slightly above average educational history, not standing out at any point in academics, no awards invariably no shiny recommendations, a 99th percentile GRE would give adcoms a benefit of a doubt in that case, to consider reasons your profile should be considered above those 'superstars' with glowing recommendations from Nobel laurettes.

And YES, being on a self-funded PhD has much greater chances of admission than being funded by the department or faculty member. The real competition lies where the money is at. I mean you meet the requirements for admission into Oxford or Cambridge and can conveniently pay £40k+ for 3-4 years including money on rent etc, how many people would be competing for that? This isn't just hypothetical, I know people who have admission letters. It seems I'm more optimistic here than you are, how ironic.

It's not about $100 left or not, I only used that to explain my point. From the information given, it showed either the person does not know what lies ahead or the competition he is up against and I inferred and made my suggestion appropriately. You are the one making an encouraging comment seem like a warning. Why haven't you talked about how his masters should be perfect and how people without perfect masters get into Harvard?

I see you are suggesting 'safe' schools, why didn't you advise him about adding those, instead chose to pick out my comment.

By the way, this is an anonymous forum, and being one prevents people from disclosing full information about their profiles. So, if I claim or actually got into MIT and I share my GPA and GRE score, that is too little information to run away with and start preaching the 'mediocre students get into Harvard too' sermon. I might have attended some of the best schools and referenced by world-renowned faculty members who mentored someone on the admission committee. Not everyone on nairaland attended school in Nigeria. You simply don't know so I'll rather use the story and account of an Ivy league fulbright scholar and Harvard professor whose profiles are out there along with others as a yardstick than a nairaland anecdote. You don't have do the same, neither did I ask you or anyone to.

The End! Back to my corner.

I didn't read anything you wrote. But anyways OKAY.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:58pm On Dec 09, 2018
I doff my hat to these erudite scholars. The panache, sagacity, pizzazz and oomph with which you took your stand and gave reasons to support your motion displays your preponderance of perspicacious yet congrously precise ideologies.

Both views are right, depending on how you choose to look at it. Let's call a truce and help others in the little way we can. I'm really impressed by your wealth of savoir faire.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 8:03pm On Dec 09, 2018
frostsc:
I doff my hat to these erudite scholars. The panache, sagacity, pizzazz and oomph with which you took your stand and gave reasons to support your motion displays your preponderance of perspicacious yet congrously precise ideologies.

Both views are right, depending on how you choose to look at it. Let's call a truce and help others in the little way we can. I'm really impressed by your wealth of savoir faire.
Can't say I don't fully agree with you smiley. Though I must have forgotten the meaning of most of these words grin
But the truth is they're both right somehow..
As frostsc just said, please we shouldn't derail form the purpose of this thread!!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by amofum(m): 8:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
Abeg who's visiting JKK on 15th?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 9:24pm On Dec 09, 2018
amofum:
Abeg who's visiting JKK on 15th?
JKK is now a tourist center ? cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 09, 2018
TheZed:
JKK is now a tourist center ? cheesy

grin grin grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 10:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
cheesy grin cheesy
frostsc:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 11:27pm On Dec 09, 2018
babisho:
So I wrote the GRE too and i'll like to share a bit of my experience. 
Analytical writing: 4.5 (82nd percentile).
Quantitative reasoning: 158 (70th percentile).
Verbal reasoning: 164 (94th percentile).

Quantitative: . As u can see above my math is average, so I have nothing much to say...well, except that whoever wants to do well must know how to manage time. Given adequate time, the questions can be answered. But the time ETS gives is so-so for average math guys like myself. Add exam nerves and 10 +10 which should take a millisecond to answer takes more time than appropriate. Bottom time:
1. take timed tests while practicing. It helps with pacing and this is absolutely key. 
2. U don't have to answer all questions and it is important to know when to let a question go. The silly exam has "time wasters". Nothing hurts as much as finding that u spent 4-5 minutes on a particularly question (which u aren't certain u got right by the way), only to find that there are some pretty cheap (takes less than a min) questions u no longer have time for. Again. Bottom line. If u're spending too long on a question when u haven't seen all the questions, u're setting urself up and it's a pretty bad strategy. Better to go through all questions, murder d cheap questions and then if time permits, face d hard ones. 

P.s: I think this should be pretty obvious, but u'll find it surprising that it is hard to let a question go and to move on in d real exam. So again. Practice ur pacing with timed tests. 

VERBAL. 
My score here suggests that I have a bit of a "bragging right" and I probably know what I'm saying. (lol). Unfortunately, I don't have a quick fix solution here. But for the long haulers who have a couple of months to prepare, here I think is a good strategy. The verbal as we all know is 20 questions per session. 10 reading comprehension, 5 sentence equivalence and 5 text completion. 
Good news: the sentence equivalence and text completion can be destroyed quickly, leaving ample time to face the convoluted, opaque, recondite and abstruse (haha! Bloody hell. I show off)...difficult to understand reading comprehension passages. 

So this was my routine. I used aldaily.com everyday for several months. Aldaily.com basically recommends 3 essays daily for its readers. Now one has to attack these essays. Not just a cursory reading. The essays are academic, high literary, GRE language styled. Some of them are from newyorK times, New yorker, LA review of books, London review of books, aeon magazine, new Republic, the Atlantic bla bla bla. The point in reading all these is that one then begins to see various writing styles. The way people shift their sentences, the nuances and subtleties, and of course GRE type words and vocabulary. Now with these new words, I had a list I was keeping. Upon seeing a new word, I would go to vocabulary.com. The advantage of vocabulary.com is that it not only gives the meaning of words in simple language, it gives SEVERAL examples of usage. In seeing those examples, one appreciates how the words can be used in sentences.  

If one can conscientiously follow this routine, what happens is that u find that sentence comprehension and text completion questions become a godsend. The time one spends answering the questions remarkably drops, leaving time for the reading comprehension. U'll become so used to the sentences u'll be able to predict what goes into what in the text completion, and sentence equivalence becomes rediculously cheap.  Of course the voracious reading would also help with reading comprehension generally, but men! Those questions, bloody freaking hell! 

P.s. I didn't say anything about reading comprehension strategy. Here I think magoosh GRE blog offers excellent advice. So u won't lose anything by checking out magoosh.com/gre and reading the blog. 

I might also have oversimplified the process of reading those essays from aldaily.com. Sometimes it is so much tedium and mental drudgery u just want to close the page, and leave the essays...when u get to this point, know that u're not alone. Even the best of us struggle with some of these passages and sometimes there's so much jargon in the passages u begin to think they are straight from hell. Besides, it really doesn't hurt doing well in the exam and not wasting money (the $205 these days...pretty hard to come by)

Finally on analytic writing, i'm interested in knowing anyone who has scored 5 or more. I know people get it, but I think the exam is rigged. Unless u type pretty fast of course. But that's by d way. My advise here is to use official material from ETS. Especially sample essays and reader commentaries. By the time u focus on samples that are scored 4 or 5 or 6, u'll begin to see what u have to do to get the required scores. So please, read the official examples. Sorry, read is an understatement...study them. 

Overall, abeg practice, practice and more practice, there is no short cut. Good luck and see yah all in America. ‎
great advice

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jung(m): 11:28pm On Dec 09, 2018
frostsc:

Ain't throwing shades, but this is not necessary. Elegance in simplicity biko undecided
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 11:35pm On Dec 09, 2018
Jung:

Ain't throwing shades, but this is not necessary. Elegance in simplicity biko undecided

I ain't throwing shades either but after stuffing my head with words that my first to fifth generation will certainly not hear during their time here on earth, bro, permit me to express once in a while biko. grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 11:48pm On Dec 09, 2018
Sherlock5577:

Can't say I don't fully agree with you smiley. Though I must have forgotten the meaning of most of these words grin
But the truth is they're both right somehow..
As frostsc just said, please we shouldn't derail form the purpose of this thread!!

After all the "sufferness" I went through to learn words that I will not use to collect money inside bank, I will now forget it just like that? Osi gini? Is like my mind is telling me that God want to punish forget! cheesy Me and my words live happily ever after bro. In sickness and in health. Till death do us part. cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:47am On Dec 10, 2018
frostsc:

After all the "sufferness" I went through to learn words that I will not use to collect money inside bank, I will now forget it just like that? Osi gini? Is like my mind is telling me that God want to punish forget! cheesy Me and my words live happily ever after bro. In sickness and in health. Till death do us part. cheesy cheesy grin

As in, it pained me to realise I've forgotten most of them after the amount of time it took to learn them cry. Nowadays, I'll just be reading a book and they just reappear and I'm like I know this word oh, but can't remember the meaning. No be small thing. Make I do cram am again grin smiley

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by gbadmos(f): 6:04pm On Dec 10, 2018
Good evening guys, please i need possible suggestions on the schools to apply to for phd mechanical engineering

Q 155
V 151
AWA 3.5
undergrad cgpa 4.54/5.00

i sent my scores to Iowa state university
University of central Florida
university of arkansas
university of chicago, illinois

Although the gre score was not my personal best sad, before i rewrite i want to try and apply first. Any possible suggestions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 8:30pm On Dec 10, 2018
sholarr12:

Username: doziej84@gmail.com
Password: nairaland123456

Use these login details to log in and do a lot of practice tests. I created the account for you.

May the Universe bless you bountifully...You're a Life SAVER

Why do I get the feeling you know me personally...or Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

NAMASTE

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 8:33pm On Dec 10, 2018
Abeg guys, which GRE practice tests provider best simulates the real GRE questions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2018
PowerPrep
doziej84:
Abeg guys, which GRE practice tests provider best simulates the real GRE questions?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sholarr12: 10:00pm On Dec 10, 2018
doziej84:

May the Universe bless you bountifully...You're a Life SAVER

Why do I get the feeling you know me personally...or Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

NAMASTE
I say amen to your prayer.

I do not know you. I only needed to help since I am in a position to help.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by udi2111: 6:36am On Dec 11, 2018
Hello house, does is Bsc considered when applying for a PhD.
B.Eng Electrical engineering
MSC information technology
I intend pursuing a PHD in information technology. I just want to know if I will be considered since my Bsc is in electrical engineering.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pronto543(m): 9:46am On Dec 11, 2018
Good Morning friends,

I received my first admission decision mail this morning from Michigan Tech. It was a rejection embarassed embarassed. I applied for 2019 Fall intake session-an early application as the application deadline is February 2019.

Reason: "There currently is no advisor available in your specified area of interest". My application was marked "Completed" on November 10, 2018.

I'm awaiting decision from 5 other schools. USF is another school that has marked my application as completed since November 5th.

The 4 remaining schools require 3 referees. The third referee has failed to complete the online reference forms after several promises. I intend travelling to meet him next tomorrow. I wouldn't fold my hand and watch my dreams truncated.

My advice to everyone is to apply early and to many schools. We shall make it!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CptCharlesVane: 9:53am On Dec 11, 2018
What are you applying for?
pronto543:
Good Morning friends,

I received my first admission decision mail this morning from Michigan Tech. It was a rejection embarassed embarassed. I applied for 2019 Fall intake session-an early application as the application deadline is February 2019.

Reason: "There currently is no advisor available in your specified area of interest". My application was marked "Completed" on November 10, 2018.

I'm awaiting decision from 5 other schools. USF is another school that has marked my application as complete as my program requires 2 references. It been marked completed since November 5th.

The 4 remaining schools require 3 referees. The third referee has failed to complete the online reference forms after several promises. I intend travelling to meet him next tomorrow. I wouldn't fold my hand and watch my dreams truncated.

I am not really surised by the rejection from Michigan Tech as most applicants on grafcafe and Yocket are usually rejected or not funded at all. I wouldn't have applied if not for the free application fee waiver. Although, I had to send my original TOEFL result to the dept.

My advice to everyone is to apply early and to many schools and be careful about applying to schools with application fee waiver. We shall make it!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CuteRedd(f): 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2018
pronto543:
Good Morning friends,

I'm awaiting decision from 5 other schools. USF is another school that has marked my application as complete as my program requires 2 references. It been marked completed since November 5th.

I am not really surised by the rejection from Michigan Tech as most applicants on grafcafe and Yocket are usually rejected or not funded at all. I wouldn't have applied if not for the free application fee waiver. Although, I had to send my original TOEFL result to the dept.

My advice to everyone is to apply early and to many schools and be careful about applying to schools with application fee waiver. We shall make it!
can u expatiate on the bolded? What does applying with an application waiver have to do with anything?

(1) (2) (3) ... (433) (434) (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.