Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (372) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916040 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by justwise(m): 6:27am On Jun 23, 2018
noblemann1:
After celebrating Nigeria victory against Iceland, I check my account to report my score and I noticed that I have been scammed. I suspected this guy to be a fraudster. Now I already travelled before noticing this. My exam is tomorrow morning. When my mom and sibling were rejoicing when I told them about the payment. Now How do I explain this to them. I will write tomorrow. But how can I pay $195.
All is well
God gat our back
Linconff why

lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Quoran: 6:52am On Jun 23, 2018
Different schools and their methods of admission processing. Top schools especially in engineering do not do first-come-first-serve when it comes to PhD admissions.They want the best candidates. The best they do is offer two sets of admission. When applicants submit their applications before the deadline, the graduate school will make sure each one meets the minimum requirements and standard expected. When they are done with this, the applications are placed in a pool. They are then sorted according to their research interest.Professors then begin to pick applicants and either interview them or offer them admission immediately. Professors do not always have equal slots as a result of funding. Also,even if you do have the same profile with another applicant,it doesn't mean both of you will be taken.It is all about research interest and funding.Three professors of different engineering schools explained this to me at different times during my interview.What you talked about isn't wrong but happens for schools with rolling admission. A top school wants the best candidates not the ones who just applied early. Even average schools want the best. It is all about research.
virginice:

Life is first come first serve, so is PhD programs. If I have $10 to share for 5 people and I have 10 applicants for this fund, I will stream using different tactics. #1. Is definitely qualifications as they roll in. You CANT submit application on deadline date and expect anything positive (that’s a gamble)...except in schools that they still have funding left...which is possible but “how would you know which schools?” Turn in applications “if possible on the first day they get opened” (I’m exaggerating so you can see my point)...also, apply to MANY schools...and of course, ask God for guardians.
BTW, your GRE score isn’t the problem. Don’t think you should write another one at all. I know so MANY PEOPLE (engineering) with lower GRE scores than yours... and yes did PhD or about to round up the program or still on it. It isn’t the score...Your SOP, maybe it needs editing I don’t know...I am 100% sure it isn’t your GRE...

I’m back cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 6:53am On Jun 23, 2018
virginice:

Sometimes it does...actually know a couple of people it worked for...didn’t work for me too but I am sure sometimes it works from Naija...you even get a Skype interview...that score is not a bad score (my lame thoughts)
I got a Skype interview too. What I meant, probably I didn’t compose my response well is that your recommendation by your prof or other parts are weighty to get into those type of programs. They receive a lot of applicants and something must make candidates stand out. And you can’t be the only one with “renewable energy/ cyber security / wood technology” research experience. There are 310+ schools no hassle. There are 320+ schools too...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Chidon360: 6:54am On Jun 23, 2018
[quote author=Walspring post=68729216]

Prepare wella now and get your visa in your second attempt.

Thanks dear, what if the V.O ask me what's new in my application, what will I say? I wasn't told specifically why I was denied but handed the blue paper which the decision was taken based on section 214(b)..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 6:56am On Jun 23, 2018
noblemann1:
After celebrating Nigeria victory against Iceland, I check my account to report my score and I noticed that I have been scammed. I suspected this guy to be a fraudster. Now I already travelled before noticing this. My exam is tomorrow morning. When my mom and sibling were rejoicing when I told them about the payment. Now How do I explain this to them. I will write tomorrow. But how can I pay $195.
All is well
God gat our back
Linconff why
Choi !!! This is serious!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Quoran: 6:58am On Jun 23, 2018
I agree with you. PhD stuff is a case-by-case scenario. All these 'I know someone who got in with less GRE scores'. It depends on the application pool. The stronger your profile, the better your chances.
ponpon:
Don’t play yourself I don’t want to quote. Get a better Gre score if you can. All those advisor bants for PhD doesn’t cover Naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 7:03am On Jun 23, 2018
Quoran:
I agree with you. PhD stuff is a case-by-case scenario. All these 'I know someone who got in with less GRE scores'. It depends on the application pool. The stronger your profile, the better your chances.
Truth is as an international applicant test scores mean a lot, core courses and grades in them! Because our research experience is.... LOR is .... Schools admit and fund based on the availability of these funds. The big boys admit y’all when una reach y’all will match up with advisor, some are based on the profs who bring in these funds.

But there is a school for every profile. There are places 311 would look like Albert Einstein. Some places it won’t make it to review. So being application smart matters. But those schools I saw are strong !

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Topiipii(m): 7:06am On Jun 23, 2018
justwise:

lipsrsealed
lincoffm:
PUBLIC NOTICE

This is to inform all candidates that registered either of the tests through me to ignore the accusations by brightdocare. If anyone have a complain I believe we have a platform we used for previous communications and they can always reach me there. I respond when I’m able because I have lot of people to attend to. Patient is a key! No one is interested in taking what doesn’t belong to him.

For justwise I will advise you always make a proper investigation before typing. Yes we know you are a moderator. We thank God for your life. But I was on this same platform months back to complain about 3 individuals that got registered for test without paying in Naira. You saw it and ignore but now a individual came online to lay a false accusation you jump like a rabbit. justwise you need to be wise in discussion making.

I choose to ignore brightdocare and I still won’t answer his complain or respond his email until justwise unban me on travel thread because I did nothing wrong.

There’s no way error or issues won’t occur sometimes but come to think of it how did brightdocare sit for an examination they didn’t receive the payment ?

I have been receiving several mails from client asking if they are safe. I’m using this opportunity to inform you all that you are safe and if anyone have a complain. Please kindly email wlincoff@aol.com...

Regards,

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/380#1832477.12177

cc justwise
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by justwise(m): 7:18am On Jun 23, 2018
Topiipii:

https://www.nairaland.com/1832477/how-achieve-high-scores-gre/380#1832477.12177

cc justwise

I know about those rants from him and have noticed it.

His ban will not be lifted because it got nothing to do with brighdocare's case. He was banned months before this alleged scam issue.

Brighdocare deleted all the posts he made concerning this issue as requested by lincoffm and his supporters but still lincoffm refused to settle him and now making another demand.

He can dream on!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 7:41am On Jun 23, 2018
Nrosemary:
For me when I was asked if I took any test I told him I wasn't required to write any cos my waec result had good grades. But u must be sure the school doesn't require standardized test to get admission
You don't know how much this your response has helped.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 7:42am On Jun 23, 2018
Nrosemary:
For me when I was asked if I took any test I told him I wasn't required to write any cos my waec result had good grades. But u must be sure the school doesn't require standardized test to get admission
Did you get any funding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mayd16(m): 8:23am On Jun 23, 2018
virginice:

So so sorry about that...community college (to the best of my knowledge) are red flags...sounds like you don’t even know what you doing because community college is like Naija technical schools...another thing, PREPARE for your interview like I mean PREPARE. Write your answer to every kinda question, practice in front of a mirror, record on your phone your answers and listen to them over and over. I know that facing someone who is about to judge you can be nerve racking and that’s why you prepare because even when you fumbling, the resounds (of d records replayed over and over) will kinda by default come to you and you can recover from mistakes during the interview. Take your time, prep well and try again...don’t give up, you can do it!!!

Please i wanna send you a message or better still pls send me your number i wanna have a discussion about this with you cus i just applied to a community college as well. sad

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2018
noblemann1:
All is well
God gat our back
Linconff why

O gosh .... not again sad
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bookason100(m): 8:38am On Jun 23, 2018
anfanio:

After 30 days of inactivity your information is deleted. Start a new application, complete and submit the application. Then send an email to the embassy requesting change of ID on your appointment application. you will get a response within 48 hours max.
Thanks buddy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 8:43am On Jun 23, 2018
LagosismyHome:

O gosh .... not again sad

Feeling so unhappy about this. This is an eye opener for others. AVOID THE DITCH OF FRAUD/SCAM

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by winterstorm: 8:59am On Jun 23, 2018
noblemann1:
All is well
God gat our back
Linconff why

shocked for real

Abeg, oga Linconff, help all these guys clear this matter. If the deal is not coming out as planned, just let it go....
This can drive multitude back to the hands of visa agents and we don't want that.

Nawa oo.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by justwise(m): 10:35am On Jun 23, 2018
Tunmise100:

Feeling so unhappy about this. This is an eye opener for others. AVOID THE DITCH OF FRAUD/SCAM

Are you affected by any chance?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by babisho: 10:36am On Jun 23, 2018
Chidinho10:

That GRE score is too risky for a PhD in such schools... A 320+ GRE will be safer. My advise is for you to rewrite the GRE and apply next year.

Don't apply to same schools that rejected you
. Some schools view re-applicants somehow. You can increase your option to 8 schools - 3 ambitious schools (none of the ones you applied earlier), 3 moderate schools and 2 safe schools... You should be fine.

Dear Chidinho10,

First, I commend you for the many good works you are doing on this thread. You take time to answer questions and clarify issues. Well done.

I would suggest however that you be a little more weary before you make assertions as they may sometimes be misleading.

Let us look at the case in question. How can u confidently tell the poster not to reapply to schools that rejected him as some schools view rejected applicants somehow. How can you have that information? Are you privy to the admission process of the schools that he applied to? Do you categorically know why he was rejected? (Perhaps they thought his GRE quants score wasn't competitive enough? Or his PhD proposal wasn't good/clear enough? Or his letters of recommendation weren't glowing enough? Or maybe they couldn't find any faculty with interest in his proposed area of research? Or they were looking for someone with a bit more research experience? Or maybe this year was just particularly competitive and in other years he would have gotten in but the competition was just stiff for limited spaces available? Or any other reason you can come up with). If he finds out why they rejected him and he is able to improve his profile, isn't it possible that he may get in if he reapplies ?

I know you have also said in the past that admissions may not be as holistic as schools say. Again, one would wonder how you came about that? How can you have that information?

My advise to prospective students is that they should contact schools on school-specific questions. Each school has an admission office willing to answer questions. The same breath it takes to post such questions here on nairaland is what it takes to mail the schools. Of course, you may find answers here but you won't really know if it is information you can bank on. If you get answers from the school you're applying to however, at least, you know you can take the info as legit.

Oh. By the way, I applied to Harvard for my masters last year and was rejected (strangely I was surprised). So I sent a mail to the admission office to thank them for considering my application and to say that I was dissapointed because I was very keen on the program. Then I said I thought my application was good and I wondered if they could tell me how I could have had a more competitive application. Well, the office scheduled me for an interview with the director of admissions who made me realize that my statement of purpose wasn't as "bad ass" as I thought and that my letters of recommendation could have been stronger. I worked on these and reapplied and prayed some more, and hoped some more and to cut the long story short, I got admitted in this cycle and now I am on my way.

Still, kudos to you for your responses. Just remember to always separate opinions from facts.

Cheers man!

49 Likes 8 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Jerrevie: 10:40am On Jun 23, 2018
Everything was just God’s grace and favor. I saw the notorious black lady doing what she does best. There was this other white lady with a squeezed face dishing out blues and administrative processing ( flight tickets that are hot now I’ll now be waiting for two weeks). Anyways I did my interview at window 5, this Ankara wearing guy was the perfect mix of professional and chilled (leaning towards chilled). We greeted for like 10 secs and he didn’t ask me any technical questions. That SAT trick tipped the interview back to my favor and God just oversaw every every �
Without further ado, here it is:

VO: Good morning
Me: hello good morning
VO: how are you?
Me: I’m fine, thank you. How was your night?
VO: it was fine thanks for asking.
VO: where are you going?
Me: I’m going to University of South Florida for my undergraduate studies in chemical engineering
VO: oh for your baccalaureate in chem engr?
Me:yes for my undergraduate studies in chemical engineering (lol I was too nervous to abbreviate anything)
VO: did you apply to other schools?
Me:yes I applied to three others: New Jersey institute of technology, Georgia Southern University and Cleveland State University.
VO: How many did you get admitted to?
Me: Just USF. Their admission decision came early and since it was my top choice I didn’t continue with the rest. *i was so nervous when I said this but it was the truth so I didn’t stutter*
VO: what’s your highest degree
Me: my high school degree
VO: when did you leave? * as if he didn’t already know*
Me: 2014
VO: so what have you been doing since then? *acting all concerned*
Me: I took JAMB twice then I got provisional admission into UI to study chemical engineering but I deferred it to take care of my dad when he was hospitalized and his leg was amputated. It was during this period I prepared for my SAT and I got a very good score. *this last line was very pivotal and it shed light on my strongest attributes*
VO:What were your scores?
Me:I had 1300, 680 in verbal, 620 in math and 6/8 in essay
VO: *nodding his head while typing* who is your sponsor
Me: *feeling the strength of the blek pentha returning* my mom
VO: what does she do?
Me: she is a deputy director in the ministry of defense and also runs a successful clothing business. She currently has 3 stores here in Lagos.
VO: do you have a bank statement
Me: *gives it to him*
VO:checked it for a while then gave it back to me saying the magic words...I wanted to concentrate on the words he said afterwards but I just couldn’t. I was too happy.

This platform was incredibly helpful and I need to thank tolatof for taking time out of work to help, for the mock interviews, the corrections and for giving me that SAT trick

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by VECOH1(m): 10:46am On Jun 23, 2018
Good morning everyone. Pls House I would like to know how I can shift my F1 visa appointment forward from 19th July to 27th July.
Pls It is urgent.
Thanks for your anticipated replies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Rashmaz: 11:20am On Jun 23, 2018
Jerrevie:
Everything was just God’s grace and favor. I saw the notorious black lady doing what she does best. There was this other white lady with a squeezed face dishing out blues and administrative processing ( flight tickets that are hot now I’ll now be waiting for two weeks). Anyways I did my interview at window 5, this Ankara wearing guy was the perfect mix of professional and chilled (leaning towards chilled). We greeted for like 10 secs and he didn’t ask me any technical questions. That SAT trick tipped the interview back to my favor and God just oversaw every every �

Me: I’m going to University of South Florida for my undergraduate studies in chemical engineering
Me:yes for my undergraduate studies in chemical engineering (lol I was too nervous to abbreviate anything)
Me:yes I applied to three others: New Jersey institute of technology, Georgia Southern University and Cleveland State University.
Me: Just USF. Their admission decision came early and since it was my top choice I didn’t continue with the rest. *i was so nervous when I said this but it was the truth so I didn’t stutter*
Me: I took JAMB twice then I got provisional admission into UI to study chemical engineering but I deferred it to take care of my dad when he was hospitalized and his leg was amputated. It was during this period I prepared for my SAT and I got a very good score. *this last line was very pivotal and it shed light on my strongest attributes*
Me: she is a deputy director in the ministry of defense and also runs a successful clothing business. She currently has 3 stores here in Lagos.
VO:checked it for a while then gave it back to me saying the magic words...I wanted to concentrate on the words he said afterwards but I just couldn’t. I was too happy.

This platform was incredibly helpful and I need to thank tolatof for taking time out of work to help, for the mock interviews, the corrections and for giving me that SAT trick

Congrat bro.. I am going for my own next week Saturday Abuja Embassy.. How can i get in touch with Tolatof?been trying to get to him

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Danielaz5: 11:25am On Jun 23, 2018
VECOH1:
Good morning everyone. Pls House I would like to know how I can shift my F1 visa appointment forward from 19th July to 27th July.
Pls It is urgent.
Thanks for your anticipated replies.

You're lucky. the latest appointment date in Lagos is August 6
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tunmise100(m): 11:33am On Jun 23, 2018
justwise:

Are you affected by any chance?
NO. just feeling unhappy for those affected
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by justwise(m): 11:48am On Jun 23, 2018
Tunmise100:

NO. just feeling unhappy for those affected

Ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dan5loriel: 12:08pm On Jun 23, 2018
I got mine too around the middle of July ... keep checking

Danielaz5:

You're lucky. the latest appointment date in Lagos is August 6
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Jerrevie: 12:34pm On Jun 23, 2018
Rashmaz:

Congrat bro.. I am going for my own next week Saturday Abuja Embassy.. How can i get in touch with Tolatof?been trying to get to him
request to pm him on here. He will reply to you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Jerrevie: 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2018
Rashmaz:

request to pm him on here. He will reply to you. I can also help you with a couple things of you don’t mind

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by doublezero7(m): 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2018
Jerrevie:

Tolatof for president. cheesy

congratulations man. All the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nrosemary: 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2018
No I didn't get any funding
Nahum777:
Did you get any funding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Rashmaz: 12:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
Jerrevie:
request to pm him on here. He will reply to you. I can also help you with a couple things of you don’t mind

Sure you can.. I just request to pm you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 1:08pm On Jun 23, 2018
Quoran:
Exactly. You cant be fresh out of undergraduate with no research experience or work experience and be applying to Austin, Beckeley, Virginia tech etc with less than 315 GRE. Chances are very low in those top Engineering schools because many students from developed nations are also applying with stelar grades. Maybe that will work in University of Kansas or Kansas state etc. That is why you have to be smart with your choice of schools and cut your coat according to your size.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.