Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,876 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1348172 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favor100: 1:33pm On Jun 15, 2019
calculator123:

Thank you for giving back to this thread. I strongly believe that you can make something meaningful from this score. Just ensure all other aspect of your app is top notch. Success
Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mosminic(m): 2:24pm On Jun 15, 2019
Hello house, I have taken quite a series of practice tests lately, my Quant consistently falls within 160-162 but my verbal score is always precisely at 158 and from review found out my RC really impedes my verbal score. Pls does anyone have a material I can use to improve my RC? Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Mosminic(m): 2:25pm On Jun 15, 2019
I have tried some YouTube videos, currently focusing on RC.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 2:43pm On Jun 15, 2019
Javanian:
Doing a Ph.D. is a really big commitment. 5+ years is no joke. I am not sure I am willing to go that path yet.

GPA: 3.8/5

GRE: 320

TOEFL: 107

1 paper accepted into a Top IEEE conference (ICALT 2018) but I didn't attend because of the very expensive conference fees and travel expenses

2 Papers accepted for publication into a SCOPUS indexed journal

United Nations Online Volunteer of PEOI (Wrote a course material for "Beginning Programming in Java)

Some years of experience as a Software Engineer
what steps did you take to get those papers published?
What are the basic requirements to publish?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by wallmosh: 2:58pm On Jun 15, 2019
Time2win:

I'm telling you out of experience. If you like go and spend all the money you have on application fees, i see you have so much money. Infact, all the schools I got full funding from were free application. I can count 10 schools that waived my application fee.

It would be nice if you can share the names of these schools with us. Thanks in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ProfessorHank: 5:33pm On Jun 15, 2019
Folawegbemisola:

please, drop your email for official GMAT review materials. For more information on how we can serve you, please visit www.mcfedututors.com or whatsapp 08056516226.

Thanks!
ncmfm@aol.com is my email.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 7:01pm On Jun 15, 2019
favor100:
Thanks for the advice
You are welcome.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favor100: 10:28pm On Jun 15, 2019
Hey guys . Pls can anyone give tips or links they used to write a good statement of purpose.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bassmana: 2:17am On Jun 16, 2019
There is this book by Donald Asher. I can't recall the name of the book. It's really helpful. I will look through my library and send it to you. Please send me a pm
favor100:
Hey guys . Pls can anyone give tips or links they used to write a good statement of purpose.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bassmana: 2:19am On Jun 16, 2019
Have you gotten an assistance?
pstfrancis:
Pls I need someone that will help me vet the email am sending to POI, I will be happy if anyone could help me vet and revert. Thanks in anticipation all. Waiting for attention from you guys
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 7:35am On Jun 16, 2019
Bassmana:
There is this book by Donald Asher. I can't recall the name of the book. It's really helpful. I will look through my library and send it to you. Please send me a pm

This is it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SVhX85DKS_kY2IHkD2W9v5BXAUwRFcCr

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Javanian: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2019
calculator123:

what steps did you take to get those papers published?

Trying, failing and trying again. I put the papers together the best I could by reading other related papers and studying the format they used. Then I submitted both papers to one Top conference. At the time I submitted, I had no idea it was a Top conference, I may not have submitted it there if I did. They accepted one of the papers and rejected the other. But the best part of it was the helpful feedback I got from the reviewers. I made the corrections based on their feedback and took their criticisms wholeheartedly. I did this for a couple of iterations--Submitting the papers to conferences, then using the feedback I got to improve the paper, and after each iteration, the paper got a bit better. The papers were basically an extension of my final year project. At the end just know that no one expects you to single-handedly write a research paper that will be accepted to a Top journal at this stage (conferences are a bit easier to get into), especially if all you have is a Bachelor's degree. The bar is a bit higher if you have a Master's degree. They are just looking for some indication that you have the aptitude to cut it in grad school when you are given more training. So even if you end up not being able to publish, you can attach the paper when emailing professors along with your transcript, test scores, and CV. The experience will also give you something nice to talk about in your SOP.

What are the basic requirements to publish?

Original research. Basically coming up with a novel solution to solve a problem. Must not be a big problem, might just be a subset of a bigger problem. Even if the problem has been solved before, using a new methodology that is better in some aspect than other existing methodologies is also original research. Stay away from predatory journals. Good luck.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favor100: 11:43am On Jun 16, 2019
Bassmana:
nl is not letting me send a message
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favor100: 11:44am On Jun 16, 2019

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:17pm On Jun 16, 2019
Javanian:

Trying, failing and trying again. I put the papers together the best I could by reading other related papers and studying the format they used. Then I submitted both papers to one Top conference. At the time I submitted, I had no idea it was a Top conference, I may not have submitted it there if I did. They accepted one of the papers and rejected the other. But the best part of it was the helpful feedback I got from the reviewers. I made the corrections based on their feedback and took their criticisms wholeheartedly. I did this for a couple of iterations--Submitting the papers to conferences, then using the feedback I got to improve the paper, and after each iteration, the paper got a bit better. The papers were basically an extension of my final year project. At the end just know that no one expects you to single-handedly write a research paper that will be accepted to a Top journal at this stage (conferences are a bit easier to get into), especially if all you have is a Bachelor's degree. The bar is a bit higher if you have a Master's degree. They are just looking for some indication that you have the aptitude to cut it in grad school when you are given more training. So even if you end up not being able to publish, you can attach the paper when emailing professors along with your transcript, test scores, and CV. The experience will also give you something nice to talk about in your SOP.

Original research. Basically coming up with a novel solution to solve a problem. Must not be a big problem, might just be a subset of a bigger problem. Even if the problem has been solved before, using a new methodology that is better in some aspect than other existing methodologies is also original research. Stay away from predatory journals. Good luck.
thanks for this apt response. Hope you have landed in Trumpland or are you still in Buhariland?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pstfrancis(m): 2:09pm On Jun 16, 2019
Bassmana:
Have you gotten an assistance?

No, I am yet to get any response
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Judee99(m): 4:22pm On Jun 16, 2019
Sincerely my educational ride has been God. I have taken much time to study bulk of the pages here. I need your help oo
UG GPA: 4.52/5
Course: Hospitality and Tourism
Research interest: International Relations
GRE: In view
Application : Masters November/ Jay 2020

1. Can I bank on writing GRE alone? What is the required score
2. Can I get a fully funded program with my course?
3. Can I get a direct PhD if ace my GRE coupled with my CGPA ?
4. Please I honestly need every materials I can get from everyone one here (soft and hard copy) biko
enihola99@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 6:10pm On Jun 16, 2019
Judee99:
Sincerely my educational ride has been God. I have taken much time to study bulk of the pages here. I need your help oo
UG GPA: 4.52/5
Course: Hospitality and Tourism
Research interest: International Relations
GRE: In view
Application : Masters November/ Jay 2020

1. Can I bank on writing GRE alone? What is the required score
2. Can I get a fully funded program with my course?
3. Please I honestly need every materials I can get from everyone one here (soft and hard copy) biko
enihola99@gmail.com
I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
1) Yes most people prepared for the GRE alone. Armed with the right materials and study technique, you should do well.
2) I believe you would but this will boil down to you doing research about schools that first offer your course and then mail the grad coordinator to know if they offer full funding for Masters students.
3) If your read this thread just as you claimed, you would have stumbled on links containing materials. Go back some 100-150 pages and you will be glad you did.
Success

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Judee99(m): 6:17pm On Jun 16, 2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Judee99(m): 6:17pm On Jun 16, 2019
calculator123:

Success
Thank you. I have a handful of materials now. I modified my questions. Thanks again

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by KatyDee: 10:19pm On Jun 16, 2019
Hello, please I would like to talk to you one on one on GRE prep I am seriously struggling with it.

user4321:
So I wrote my GRE Today,
For a little back story, I just graduated a little over three months ago, and got a job immediately as a software engineer, at a fast moving company, with periodic crazy deadlines. So, I had to squeeze in time during mornings at nights to prepare, and learn as much vocabulary as I could.
Fast forward to test Day, I arrived at Dragnet prometric 2 hours before the test, did a quick review, and was first on the line. Got the quant section first, let's just say, it was deadlier than I thought, too many geometry problems, and i loathe euclidean circle geometry a lot. I moved on to the verbal; few mistakes here and there, but I just basically free styled.
At the end of the test, I was assured that I had done very terribly, and was superbly afraid to click "report scores". Then I clicked
QUANTITATIVE - 163
VERBAL - 161
TOTAL - 324

I feel i did terrible in the quant, as i focused too much on the verbal during prep, but I hope to never write GRE ever again, I accept my 324 "laidat".
Bsc. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GPA - 4.74/5
WES (UNOFFICIAL) 3.82/4.0
GRE - 324 ( Q-163 V-161)
SCHOOLS
STANFORD UNIVERSITY -PHD
UT AUSTIN - PHD
RICE - PHD
CMU AFRICA - MSC

cc- scholastica16 quoran
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 11:49pm On Jun 16, 2019
Judee99:

Thank you. I have a handful of materials now. I modified my questions. Thanks again
You are welcome. Ensure you don't forget to give back to this thread. Your experience will aid future test takers. Success.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bassmana: 4:12am On Jun 17, 2019
Sent
favor100:

nl is not letting me send a message
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ibro99: 10:15am On Jun 17, 2019
Hello Fellow scholars, please how true is this news?

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shadystick: 3:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
KatyDee:

Hello, please I would like to talk to you one on one on GRE prep I am seriously struggling with it.

Sigh.... I wrote my GRE today. Hot on the heels of two defeats from GMAT, I took three weeks to prepare for the GRE as per my estimation, since GMAT maths was a bit harder than GRE, I would only need to brush up on my verbal.

Well lets just say that that didn't work well. I scored 158 v and 146 Q.

I feel so crushed. I have hopes of getting an MBA from an European school and it just seems like my brain cells are working against this dream of mine. Never would I have thought that applying to Bschool would be such an herculean task.

I don't even now what to do. I prepared using the Manhattan book and my power-prep diagnostic scores were 318, 310, 318.

It almost feels like my brain just freezes when I encounter some math problems.

Dejected Applicant....

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Stevenssen(m): 3:04pm On Jun 17, 2019
Ibro99:
Hello Fellow scholars, please how true is this news?
very false. always google before you believe
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by donasere(m): 4:30pm On Jun 17, 2019
Hello, please I want to take the ielts and would like to know the cost and where I can register. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Folawegbemisola: 6:15pm On Jun 17, 2019
[quote author=BiggyB242 post=79347505]

What's the cost for GRE and Toefl[/qu

For more information on scholarship opportunities, school admission, passing your admission (SAT, GRE, GMAT) and language proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE), Canadian and Australian Permanent Residence, please visit www.mcfedututors.com or contact 08056516226 (whatsapp) and mobile 09013873785. you can get it at a more affordable price by visiting our website.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Folawegbemisola: 6:17pm On Jun 17, 2019
donasere:
Hello, please I want to take the ielts and would like to know the cost and where I can register. Thank you.

For more information on scholarship opportunities, school admission, passing your admission (SAT, GRE, GMAT) and language proficiency tests (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE), Canadian and Australian Permanent Residence, please visit www.mcfedututors.com or contact 08056516226 (whatsapp) and mobile 09013873785. you can get it at an affordable price and also get registered by visiting our website.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by horlahsunbo225(m): 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2019
shadystick:

Sigh.... I wrote my GRE today. Hot on the heels of two defeats from GMAT, I took three weeks to prepare for the GRE as per my estimation, since GMAT maths was a bit harder than GRE, I would only need to brush up on my verbal.

Well lets just say that that didn't work well. I scored 158 v and 146 Q.

I feel so crushed. I have hopes of getting an MBA from an European school and it just seems like my brain cells are working against this dream of mine. Never would I have thought that applying to Bschool would be such an herculean task.

I don't even now what to do. I prepared using the Manhattan book and my power-prep diagnostic scores were 318, 310, 318.

It almost feels like my brain just freezes when I encounter some math problems.

Dejected Applicant....
Congrats on attempting the exam. It is not a easy one
Your actual score is the average of all ur power prep scores.
It is now left for you to either to decide to re write or find school that match ur profile

You can drop ur other details (GPA) for advises
Good luck
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shadystick: 6:54pm On Jun 17, 2019
horlahsunbo225:

Congrats on attempting the exam. It is not a easy one
Your actual score is the average of all ur power prep scores.
It is now left for you to either to decide to re write or find school that match ur profile

You can drop ur other details (GPA) for advises
Good luck

I want to apply to a business school in Paris and my CGPA in school is 4.43/5 and I have 9 years work experience.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by insight001: 7:30pm On Jun 17, 2019
Dear Nairalanders,

I have a question.
How can someone secure funding in US schools for a professional study while working as a TA/GA?

Let me explain.
I'm interested in professional development and not in deep research.

My target study areas are in Information Systems, Software Engineering and Product Management.

I would like suggestions for safe school and tips on how I can strategize my application.

I already have top schools like Berkley, CMU and UIUC

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.