Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (493) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1350538 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by favor100: 11:33am On Jun 22, 2019
iamblisz:

Check Your email,
Got it. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nerdychukz: 11:40am On Jun 22, 2019
Please gurus in the house...my interview is next week..please I need someone to help with mock interview
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 12:01pm On Jun 22, 2019
favor100:

Got it. thanks

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by doziej84: 12:51pm On Jun 22, 2019
BSc Geophysics (3.59/5.00)
MSc Applied Geophysics (4.0/5.00)
GREQ=150, GREV=155, AWS=4.0. TOEFL - 103 (wrote both back to back in Dec...few days in-between.....(rewriting wasn't an option)
4 publications (3 Lead, 1 co-author)

University of Texas, Austin- PhD Geosciences (Rejected)
University of Houston- PhD Seismic Physics (Accepted with full funding-TA) - very generous offer
University of Tulsa – PhD Geosciences (Accepted No funding)
Northern Illinois University – PhD Geology (Accepted No funding)
Louisiana State University PhD Geology & Geophysics (Awaiting decision)
University of Louisiana PhD Energy Sciences (Accepted No funding)
Virginia Tech – PhD Geosciences (Rejected)
Georgia Washington University – MS Data Science (Accepted + partial funding)

I Hope this encourages someone with average scores like mine....truly I do.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 1:03pm On Jun 22, 2019
doziej84:

GREQ=150, GREV=155, AWS=4.0. TOEFL - 103 (wrote both back to back in Dec...few days in-between.....(rewriting wasn't an option)

University of Houston- PhD Seismic Physics (Accepted with full funding-TA) - very generous offer

Congratulations.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:07pm On Jun 22, 2019
elisinho:

Boss I really appreciate what you enumerated above
You don't have to but you did, thank you and will try my best to see that your efforts are not a waste
Go and conquer bro!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:12pm On Jun 22, 2019
doziej84:

Congratulations Dozie, I just saw your transcript on the Visa thread and I must confess you really know your onion.
Your scores might be average so to speak but your profile is tight. Getting 4 publications with 3 lead author already shows that you are up for research.
Welcome to Trump's land!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 1:14pm On Jun 22, 2019
Nerdychukz:
Please gurus in the house...my interview is next week..please I need someone to help with mock interview
Job interview?
Visa interview?
Specify which of which.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 4:08pm On Jun 22, 2019
doziej84:

Congratulations! This is great news!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Brown2Green(m): 6:13pm On Jun 22, 2019
If you were admitted into NIU,
Hit me up to join the WhatsApp group.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nassiirr: 11:00pm On Jun 22, 2019
Hello, all,

I read that one's biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph) have to be taken before the GRE test. What do they do with those information? Can I not allow them take my fingerprints? I mean there should be some kind of privacy. Are they basically for immediate ID verification or they log them for possible future use?

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by scipy: 9:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Hi
If you are in Lagos and you don't mind
I'm looking for a study partner for my GRE
Especially on Saturdays

Anfieldboss:
Hello guys,

I have been a silent follower of this thread for sometime now and I have finally decided to take the GRE, August/September this year as I am looking at Fall 2020.

A friend of mine currently doing his PhD in US, sent me some materials and having gone through the thread I noticed they are the same as it contains Magoosh videos, Manhattan, Barron, Kaplan etc.

I intend preparing for about 2 months, although I know my job will pose some challenge but I hope my resolve would be strong enough to help in my preparations.

Please I will like to take sample tests but I don't know how to go about it? Also which of the materials would you advise one to start preparing with and which materials would be most useful in the Quant and Verbal sections.

I will appreciate your inputs, thanks in anticipation.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 23, 2019
Nassiirr:
Hello, all,

I read that one's biometrics (fingerprints and facial photograph) have to be taken before the GRE test. What do they do with those information? Can I not allow them take my fingerprints? I mean there should be some kind of privacy. Are they basically for immediate ID verification or they log them for possible future use?

Thanks.
Too many people try to cheat the system , so ETS has to take serious measures like the biometric.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Anfieldboss: 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
scipy:
Hi
Especially on Saturdays

I'm not in Lagos...I'm in Benin....but I will like to have your contact....Can I send u a PM?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nassiirr: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, I get. Is it compulsory to do the thumbprint in all test centers? Can I decline?
user4321:

Too many people try to cheat the system , so ETS has to take serious measures like the biometric.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by signalBen: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2019
Am in Lagos.
Let's talk in private then
scipy:
Hi
Especially on Saturdays

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nassiirr: 12:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
Also do they just use it confirm one's ID or they keep them for future use?
user4321:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
Nassiirr:
Yeah, I get. Is it compulsory to do the thumbprint in all test centers? Can I decline?
Yes you have to.. Its part of the terms and conditions you agree to, when you pay for the test
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 23, 2019
Good afternoon, I have followed this thread closely and I want to appreciate everyone contributing to this thread.
In the light of the question asked by Nassiirr, I also have a very disturbing question to ask, more like I want an advice.

A friend of mine said she was used as a mercenary years back, to help someone write a GRE test. She was stupid, she had no idea that it's very wrong, illegal and could haunt her. She regrets that action now anyway!

The thing now is, she is to write the GRE test for herself in one of the coming months, she's afraid her thumbprint and facial recognition software will reveal that she had taken the test for someone else in the past, and she'll not be allowed, or maybe get arrested.

How do you think she can get past this, or this really isn't a big deal?

I will appreciate your input please, nagode��

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
VibraniumWoman:
Good afternoon, I have followed this thread closely and I want to appreciate everyone contributing to this thread.
In the light of the question asked by Nassiirr, I also have a very disturbing question to ask, more like I want an advice.

A friend of mine said she was used as a mercenary years back, to help someone write a GRE test. She was stupid, she had no idea that it's very wrong, illegal and could haunt her. She regrets that action now anyway!

The thing now is, she is to write the GRE test for herself in one of the coming months, she's afraid her thumbprint and facial recognition software will reveal that she had taken the test for someone else in the past, and she'll not be allowed, or maybe get arrested.

The following questions should guide your friend
1. Did she submit her (real) full name
2. Did she submit her real, full date of birth?
if the answers to the above are "yes", then there is a slight chance of ETS finding out the charade. ETS doesn't hand on to passport details, but still, they are as devilishly curious as cats, and can withhold results, and form disciplinary panels to complete investigations.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2019
No, she didn't submit any of her personal details, the details submitted were those of the original candidate. But they probably have her fingerprints (she's not too sure she fingerprinted), and they definitely had her facial photograph taken..... Cause for alarm?

user4321:

The following questions should guide your friend
1. Did she submit her (real) full name
2. Did she submit her real, full date of birth?
if the answers to the above are "yes", then there is a slight chance of ETS finding out the charade. ETS doesn't hand on to passport details, but still, they are as devilishly curious as cats, and can withhold results, and form disciplinary panels to complete investigations.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 23, 2019
VibraniumWoman:
No, she didn't submit any of her personal details, the details submitted were those of the original candidate. But they probably have her fingerprints (she's not too sure she fingerprinted), and they definitely had her facial photograph taken..... Cause for alarm?

I'm confused now . did she thumbprint, and another person took the exam without using her own details?.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 23, 2019
The original candidate was not in attendance at all.
So my friend submitted her own fingerprints( not sure though), had her picture taken; normal procedure. So are the fingerprints and picture enough to detect that dirty play when she goes to take the test later this year, for her own self?

user4321:
I'm confused now . did she thumbprint, and another person took the exam with e1out using her own details?.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
VibraniumWoman:
The original candidate was not in attendance at all.
So my friend submitted her own fingerprints( not sure though), had her picture taken; normal procedure. So are the fingerprints and picture enough to detect that dirty play when she goes to take the test later this year, for her own self?

I'm not the final authority on ETS issues, but this may be a problem, ETS usually reviews security footage from test day before official score release, and may decide to look at past footage, to check for any discrepancies, Especially for notorious centers like JKK!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2019
Thanks.... Are there other centers in Lagos apart from JKK?
user4321:

I'm not the final authority on ETS issues, but this may be a problem, ETS usually reviews security footage from test day before official score release, and may decide to look at past footage, to check for any discrepancies, Especially for notorious centers like JKK!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 23, 2019
VibraniumWoman:
Thanks.... Are there other centers in Lagos apart from JKK?
I had both my Exams at Dragnet Prometric , and they're very wonderful

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by space1(m): 9:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
Please someone should help me out here. I want to know if I am to take the Quantitative aspect of the GRE only, is that possible?

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pinkandblue26: 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2019
Hello!
How can I study for GRE aiming at 300 and above combined with working from 8 a.m to 6pm.
I need funding
I intend writing September to meet deadline.
I don't know the strategy of practicing a lot combined with work.
I'm not an Engineering student; so I see the Maths part as my weakness.
How can I ace my targeted score with no coaching in Maths. I'm a biology student.

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
VibraniumWoman:

This is part of the reason while our country will forever be associated with fraudulent acts. The truth is that anybody old enough to write the GRE for someone can’t be ignorant of the nature of such an act.
Back to the question,she most likely had thumb printed and these biometrics are usually linked to names. If she thumb prints again, it will be linked to two different names and as you know,no two people have the same thumb print.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pierre92(m): 11:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pinkandblue26:
Hello!
How can I study for GRE aiming at 300 and above combined with working from 8 a.m to 6pm.
I need funding
How can I ace my targeted score with no coaching in Maths. I'm a biology student.

Thank you

1. Get flash cards from Magoosh and study them everyday in transit. You will be surprised at how fast it adds up.
2. Watch Magoosh videos during lunch breaks,they are usually short. You can do 1-3 per day.
3. Go to work earlier(or wake up early) and work on some problems or watch videos or whatever works for you.
4. Increase your workload during the weekends.
5. Study everyday

Generally,a combination of Manhattan Strategy guides and Magoosh videos will be enough to help you ace the quant part of the GRE

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 11:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pinkandblue26:
Hello!
I need funding

Thank you

First thing is to get the neccesary materials, if you don't have that already. Then, draw out a time table that you WILL stick to - let's say 2 -3 hrs after work, while during the weekends you alocate more time to study and practice. I know it won't be easy being a working class but always remember the goal. Everything u need to ace the GRE is on this thread. 300 is achievable...

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, I told her that was stupid of her. What year did they start the thumbprinting thing?
Because she can't even remember submitting her thumbprint. Even on the ETS website, it was stated that one MAY be required for biometrics. Does she have any hope?

pierre92:

This is part of the reason while our country will forever be associated with fraudulent acts. The truth is that anybody old enough to write the GRE for someone can’t be ignorant of the nature of such an act.
Back to the question,she most likely had thumb printed and these biometrics are usually linked to names. If she thumb prints again, it will be linked to two different names and as you know,no two people have the same thumb print.

(1) (2) (3) ... (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.