Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,584 members, 7,812,911 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1349703 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 9:57am On Mar 22, 2016
This topic is becoming less inspiring as people just come here to observe, post bad news and seek advice... What about those people who have written gre recently until you got admitted or got rejected... Kindly share your exam experience... That's the point of this platform... Kudos to those who have been keeping it real... The first page of this group was supposed to be a guide to way things roll, only a few people share here.. Even study experience and all we don't.... Na just to observe, hear news and Waka... I'm not perfect too though

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by olupentane(m): 11:11am On Mar 22, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Please re send your email.
olupentane@gmail.com. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 22, 2016
Guys, please help vet this email. These professors keep saying they've got no funding for me, but from my findings, many of the have grants worth more than 200,000 dollars cry

Dear Dr. xxxx xxxx,

Good day. How are you doing today? Great I hope.

I sent you a mail earlier, but I have yet to receive a response. Incase you didn't or haven't read it, I'm a prospective Environmental Engineering graduate student of xxxx University. I have a background in Civil Engineering from a federal university here in Nigeria, with keen interest and focus on Environmental Engineering.

While I observed undergraduate study, I conducted a research investigating how the inadequacy of water supply affected the sanitation practices, hygiene, and health of the people of a rural community here in Nigeria. Experience garnered from this research opened my mind to the possibility of creating and utilising advanced treatment technologies in wastewater purification, to improve water supply and reuse.

The conception of Reverse Osmosis (RO) seem to be an excellent step in the right direction; however, some studies have shown that lower molecular weight organics like Nitrosodimethlyamine can permeate through the current film of composite membranes. It is therefore of essence to create modelling techniques to evaluate compounds detrimental to domestic water, and predict RO removal efficency.

Given your interest in the area of advanced treatment technologies for water purification, xxxx University is the perfect university to further my research in this direction. If it's okay by you, I would love to be in correspondence with you, and be a under your guidance on resumption. I would love to know if you will be accepting new graduate students for fall 2016.

Thank you for your time, and anticipated prompt response.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lamexx(m): 12:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
stolid:
Guys, please help vet this email. These professors keep saying they've got no funding for me, but from my findings, many of the have grants worth more than 200,000 dollars cry

When did you apply for admission to that school, what is your GRE score and are you applying for an MSc/PhD??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Marquette University is seeking candidates for a graduate research assistant position in environmental biotechnology, preferably at the PhD level. The position begins in August2016 and is funded through an award from the National Science Foundation CAREER program. The researcher’s primary focus will be design of bioengineered systems using phosphate binding proteins to recover phosphorus from water and wastewater systems.The student will have the opportunity to participate in all facets ofthe project, including designing and conducting laboratory experiments, working with faculty and peers, and disseminating results via papers and presentations.Interested applicants should send a one page cover letter describing their research interests, CV, names and contact information of three referencesto Dr. Brooke Mayer (Brooke.Mayer@marquette.edu).

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:00pm On Mar 22, 2016
Lamexx:

When did you apply for admission to that school, what is your GRE score and are you applying for an MSc/PhD??
314 (161Q 153V). Feb 02. MSc
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 22, 2016
pennstate:
The Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering at Marquette University is seeking candidates for a graduate research assistant position in environmental biotechnology, preferably at the PhD level. The position begins in August2016 and is funded through an award from the National Science Foundation CAREER program. The researcher’s primary focus will be design of bioengineered systems using phosphate binding proteins to recover phosphorus from water and wastewater systems.The student will have the opportunity to participate in all facets ofthe project, including designing and conducting laboratory experiments, working with faculty and peers, and disseminating results via papers and presentations.Interested applicants should send a one page cover letter describing their research interests, CV, names and contact information of three referencesto Dr. Brooke Mayer (Brooke.Mayer@marquette.edu).

Is this opening recent?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 22, 2016
PennState, I just checked. It is. Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femoalaofin: 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
Olomson:
Wrote my GRE 29th February got a 310, TOEFL 106, great CGPA...chose Texas A&M college station, LSU, Uni of Oklahoma and U. Of Louisiana Lafayette plan to start mailing professors about RA/GA positions but then to spread my options because the schools I chose are competitive and my GRE score isn't much there...I need suggestions for good schools with great funding for M.sc General geology or petroleum Geoscience...Thanks.

Hello.. please how did u register for the toefl nd gre.. nd if u av an idea about their equivalent prices in naira? thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 11:01pm On Mar 22, 2016
sarzy:

Bro na Error 404 e dey show o.
Oops, try this man
GRE,TOEFEL,IELTS material -
https://drive.google.com/folderview?
id=0B5HI5uTeYfmJaElqQTFwaFAwVG8

extra material for GRE -
https://drive.google.com/folderview?
id=0B1U4uLuP7vJzflgyX2E1YkwwUHEzM05YUUcwR2M1VFjdjc

Toefl videos

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B256jJ8PAXfHOGVKa29aYzlYMU0&usp=drive_web
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olomson: 11:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
femoalaofin:

Hello.. please how did u register for the toefl nd gre.. nd if u av an idea about their equivalent prices in naira? thanks

Used a third party to register...TOEFL is $180 while GRE is $205....convert with current exchange rate to get Naira value.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femoalaofin: 9:16am On Mar 23, 2016
Olomson:

Used a third party to register...TOEFL is $180 while GRE is $205....convert with current exchange rate to get Naira value.
thanks a lot, but dats wah I want to know... is it going to b cbn's rate or black market rate...? nd what if I use PayPal..?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
femoalaofin:

thanks a lot, but dats wah I want to know... is it going to b cbn's rate or black market rate...? nd what if I use PayPal..?
Bro when do you intend to reg for GRE and TOEFL. I'm planning on reg soon
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femoalaofin: 11:39pm On Mar 23, 2016
Jumybecks:

Bro when do you intend to reg for GRE and TOEFL. I'm planning on reg soon
may and you?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 24, 2016
femoalaofin:

may and you?
June and I'll be writing d exam in August God willing.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femoalaofin: 7:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
Jumybecks:
June and I'll be writing d exam in August God's willing.
oh I mean I would be writing in may...amen
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
femoalaofin:

oh I mean I would be writing in may...amen
Ok bro... I wish you best of God
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EduRegard: 10:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
DanjaNinja:
My GRE Experience: Lessons Learnt - J.

General Tips
#Tip 1: Don’t rely on any one single book.

Each book has its strength and weakness. Combine them all for maximum impact.

#Tip 2: What books do I need?

1. Grubber 2015
2. Barron’s GRE
3. Nova GRE Math Bible
4. Kaplan
5. Princeton Review

#Tip 3: How can I get these books?

If you can afford physical copies of these books – Sweet, go head and buy them all. But If you can’t afford any or you’re a ijebu madam like the lovely,intelligent MsNas kiss kiss or like myself, simply send a blank mail to selfstudy360@gmail.com or selfstudy.version2@gmail.com for soft copies (Pdf’s). #MoneyMustNotWaste

(a) selfstudy360@gmail.com contains:

• Barron's New GRE 19th Edition
• Cracking the GRE 2013
• Gruber's Complete GRE Guide 2012

While

(b) Selfstudy.version2@gmail.com (New*) contains:

• Gruber's Complete GRE Guide (2015)
• Mahanttan Prep - 5* lb. Book of GRE® Practice Problems (2013)
• Nova’s GRE Math Bible (2008)

#Tip 4: When should I take the GRE?

Take the exam at least 4 months before you plan to send your admission applications. That way, if you don’t meet your targeted score (not your portion…Oya say Amen!), you would still have enough time to retake the exam without duress. For example, if the deadline for admission application is September 15th, the ideal time for taking the GRE should be by May. The reason for this is simple: If you don’t meet ur target score, you can retake the GRE by June thereby providing ample time for sending your application. This is not a rule but a suggestion.

#Tip 5: How much time would it take to prepare for the GRE?

Minimum: 2months @ 4-5hours per day.
Note: The number of hours do not really matter, it’s the amount of problem solving skills learnt per unit time that counts. Some people learn quickly while for others, it might take longer to read and understand new concepts. So remember, 4-5hours are just recommendations, whether u spend more or less time – ultimately, it doesn’t matter. What matters is how much u learn and how fast you can correctly answer questions. If it takes u 4-5hours per day to achieve this goal, so be it. If it takes u less time, so be it. If it takes you more time, so be it. No one cares. Ultimately it’s your scores that matters.

#Tip 6: Can I prepare within a month?

Yes u can, but it’s not advisable. You need time to internalize and completely memorizes the GRE strategies.

And lastly,

#Tip 7: Don’t be deceived by your score on POWERPREP II.

You took the sample test on PowerPrep II, you had an average of 160-165, you feel good and cant wait to take the actual test. Truth is Powerprep II does not compare to the actual test. On a scale of one to ten, one being very easy and ten being very difficult, Powerprep is a 4.5 and the actual test is an 8.5. #OkBye

Now for the part you’ve been waiting for: My GRE Experience.

This is a summary of lesson learnt from my personal experience, please feel free to add your insights and contributions. Sharing is caring.

You probably know this already but just to refresh your memory - The GRE is made up of three parts: Analytical writing, Verbal and Quantitative.
1. Analytical Writing
2. Verbal
3. Quantitative

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO ACHIEVE HIGH SCORES.

FOR ANALYTICAL WRITING:

Books and Resources needed for Analytical Writing:
Official GRE Topic List (30%) + Kaplan (60%) + Barron (10%).

(a) Official GRE Topic List: GRE maintains a list of every possible topic that you will find on the actual test date!!!!!! It’s totally legal and you can find the list here:
Pool of Argument Topics: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/argument/pool

Pool of Issue Topics: https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/analytical_writing/issue/pool

The list is quite exhaustive: 200 issue task topics and 200 argument task topics. Once you have the list, group the topics into categories and proceed to (b). I believe if u know the possible questions, your chances of success should be up 30%.

(b) Get a copy of Kaplan’s New GRE Premiere and head to the Analytical Writing Section. Read, digest and understand the essay development template for both the issue task and the argument task as discussed on chapter 15 – Chapter 21 (New GRE Premiere - Kaplan 2011-2012 edition. Newer editions should be better). Don’t bother reading anything else on Kaplan, the rest of the book is useless. With the Kaplan template, you can begin to draw up possible responses to each topic category from the GRE topic list that you obtained from the GRE website. That way, on the test day, coming up with responses won’t be all that difficult because you’ve seen it all – abi how una see am?

(c) Get a copy of Barron: While this may not be compulsory, it will help you in paragraph development. Read and understand the “Claim, Grounds and Warrants” development on chapter 6 (Barron’s New GRE 19th Edition).

The last and most important step is to PRACTISE, PRACTISE AND PRACTISE. Practice using the available topics from the GRE list in a timed mode – your practice should mimic the real test. For the GRE, its 30minutes per writing task but for you, its 22 minutes. Why? It’s always better to practice with less time – It makes you stronger.

Practice with POWERPREP writing platform or Notepad to get a feel of the nature of the typing platform. Don’t practice with Microsoft Word.

One Again, PRACTISE AND PRACTISE. It’s ultra-important you do so. You can only write well by constant practice.

My Experience: I didn’t practice enough. Truth be told I practiced only once and the end result was abysmal. I could only manage one sensible paragraph for the issue task – Big Poo. The way time flies when ur messing up is simply amazing. The argument task was much better, I wrote 4 sensible paragraphs –all within 23 minutes.
Score: Surprisingly,I scored a 3 on the writing section. since the total score is the average of both scores, I assume I made a 5 on argument and a 1 on issue…lol..just my opinion.

Generally, Argument tasks are easier than issue tasks – for Argument tasks, an essay or issue with faulty premises is given; your job is to identify and logically explain them while for the Issue writing Task, you have to develop your own argument from scratch. Finding faults is easy (argument task), writing from scratch is less easy (issue essay). But for you reading this right now, a minimum of 4.5/6 should be perfectly achievable. Why? Cos you know every possible topic, you have pre-planned responses and your “hand dey hot” due to constant writing practice.

One last tip:
As soon as you are done with a particular section, whether you performed well or not, it’s best to completely ignore that section, it belongs to the past - it doesn’t matter anymore. Whether you did well or not, does not matter and if you believe you didn’t perform well, it still doesn’t matter. Focus completely on the next section – You have seven (7) more sections to deal with and you need a focused, optimistic mindset to proceed successfully. There’s no use crying over spilt milk. [/b]

FOR QUANTITATIVE

Books You Need for Quantitative:

Grubber (25%) + Barron’s (25%) + Nova GRE Math Bible (25%) + Mahanttan (25%).

Do you have to read them all from cover to cover? Not really. Each book has its strength and weakness’s. You want to be prepared for every possibility. Better you write the GRE once than write it twice. Think of the cash - $200. Think of the time spent on preparation – weeks, even months and finally, think of your Goals. So grab does books and study like mad. The end justify the means.

Lesson 1: Study each question category and solve the most difficult questions you can find on that category to re-enforce your understanding of that category.

For example, if you had prepared with Grubber like I did, you will find the data interpretation, graphical and statistical questions difficult. Why? Grubber does not really delve into these sections. Barron in addition with Manhattan and Nova does a better job. So read and understand the underlying principles and skim all books for difficult questions on all topics.
Likewise, if u ignore Grubber’s Data Comparison and algebra strategies, you might not do so well. But then, there are notable exceptions. Individuals with an engineering, mathematical and statistical background would generally do better in the Quantitative section – they’ve been doing these problems for years. Also those with an aptitude for numbers would better. Does that mean those with little mathematically backgrounds would end up with low scores? – Nope. Just read up and practice, you might end up doing better than the so called Math wizards.

The GRE Quantitative consists of two sections made up of 25 questions each. Each section runs for 40minutes – that’s an average of 96 seconds per question – which leads to lesson 2.

Lesson 2: When studying and solving quantitative questions, set a time limit of 50 seconds per question and stick to it. Like previously stated, practicing with less time makes you stronger and faster.

Lesson 3: Solve lots of Quanttitative questions.

Manhanttan and Nova Math Bible offer a huge collection of quality quantitative questions. Solve as much questions as you can on both books. Luckily, if you don’t know the answers, solutions and explanations are provided in both books.

My Experience: I studied solely with grubber. Algebra and data comparison were a walk in the park but “I hear “ween” for Data interpretation/Statistics, Combinations and Graphs. On the actual test, I saw 6 hefty graphical and data interpretation problems and some others I can’t recall @ the moment. Were they super hard? – Not really but “them hard small o”. To answer them, you need to understand the question (30secs), solve for solutions (30-40secs) and compare possible answers (10secs). If u get it wrong, u start all over again. But as you start over, remember Time dey go ooooo!
That’s why you need Lesson 4.

Lesson 4:Someone on this thread advised - if you find any question difficult, simply mark that question and move on to others.. You may return to that question later. Don’t waste time trying to solve one question for over 1 minute, skip and return later. This is so true!.

FOR VERBAL

Books you need: Grubber (90%) + Barron (10%).

Honestly, You can actually survive by using only grubber. The verbal section seems like the easiest section on the GRE but don’t be complacent o! This section is pretty tricky. I remember one particular essay with about seven (7) paragraphs. It was so dense that you could barely understand the content of a single paragraph; It also felt like it was written in another language. It was that difficult.

Also,the verbal section is made up of several subsections all mixed into one. You will find sentence completion (synonyms and antonyms) and essay comprehension all packed into one.
My Experience: I scored a 157/170 – Not bad @ all given that Grubber was the sole book I used. I won’t lie, am an avid reader – I guess that helped. However, if you study the Grubber Verbal Strategies: Latin and Greek Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes; the Most Important/Frequently Used GRE Words and Reading Comprehension Strategies – You should have no problem with the Verbal section. Grubber does an excellent job by building ur vocabulary, teaching new words and providing some interesting strategies for essay comprehension.
There are other books like Princeton Review but since I didn’t use it, I can’t say much about it. This is where external input is advisable. Those who used Princeton, oya speak up.

Final Advice:
Unlike Jamb (wicked people) that provides a single opportunity to write the exam per year, the GRE gives you 5 chances per year to write the exam (better people). But because you can doesn’t mean you should. Prepare well and write it once. A score of 160 per section is totally achievable. Just read and solve a huge collection of difficult questions in a timed mode.

Oya it haff do, una bye bye, I don try. grin grin grin grin grin grin

UPDATE 1: If you had to choose one Book for Quantitative Analysis, Barron's should be it. That Book is the truth. The best GRE Quantitative prep book ever.

UPDATE 2: Listen all, i just found this incredible online resource for GRE materials. Its a facebook group but its by invitation only. So drop ur email addresses or send me a pm and i'll send you an invite to the group. Here's the group link, however it can only be accessed by members of the group:

https://www./newgremaster/

After joining the group, head to the file section and you will find every book and test questions there. #OneLove

UPDATE 3: Added Kaplan New GRE to "selfstudy.version2@gmail.com". If you want a copy of the Kaplan GRE book, send a blank mail to selfstudy.version2@gmail.com" .
Help a brother please... fattybabakayode@gmail.com ...for the fb group and books. Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 11:27pm On Mar 24, 2016
someone should pls add me to d fb group, thanks femiquadri12000@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 25, 2016
guys, pls I wld lik to ask a question. I want to apply for masters, but d issue is, I dnt rly av som1 that can sponsor me, I mean som1 wth a fat account, although am working, my salary is less than 80k. I have some landed properties and vehicles I can always sell just to sponsor my self. the question is, since I dnt rly av a fat bank account, hope it wnt affect my chances of getting a visa. hope I wnt be rejected on d bases of nt having enough money in my account, though I hav some properties I can sell
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Teetunz64(m): 1:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
Please someone that has recently done the GRE exam should please tell me the amount deducted in naira for the exam and the bank used. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 25, 2016
adedejis:
guys, pls I wld lik to ask a question. I want to apply for masters, but d issue is, I dnt rly av som1 that can sponsor me, I mean som1 wth a fat account, although am working, my salary is less than 80k. I have some landed properties and vehicles I can always sell just to sponsor my self. the question is, since I dnt rly av a fat bank account, hope it wnt affect my chances of getting a visa. hope I wnt be rejected on d bases of nt having enough money in my account, though I hav some properties I can sell
Hi. I have heard of people taking documents of assets like real estate and bonds to the embassy. You may post this on the travel section and see what the visa officers here on nairaland have to say about it. Good luck.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
sirRiddy:

Hi. Good luck.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by klawaaa: 12:02am On Mar 26, 2016
yuddy2:
sorry about the admission decision, however it's not the end of the world. You dust yourself and move on. Pls check wright state university Ohio. They have a pretty dope engineering program and your profile suits them just fine. Best of luck mate
Hello, I am newbie here and i also want to secure admission for MSc Physics and i don't have GRE result, Pls, can I be admitted by any University in US. Please advise. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 12:58pm On Mar 26, 2016
adedammy009:

How low is your score...mine is 144V 151Q

I hope it isnt too low
It's quite low, just like mine: 146V, 146Q, 4.0 Writing. Though my undergraduate cgpa is above 3.5 after wes conversion....I may have to retake d test when my work schedule becomes less tight.
With ur score, u can still get admitted in many schools in d US provided ur cgpa is not low too, and u have good SOP n recommendation. Maybe work experience counts too....not sure though.
Sorry my response came quite late, work schedule has been really tight for me.
All d best bro...cheers!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 1:10pm On Mar 26, 2016
Please, those who wrote their test recently n scored up to 160 in Q, what specific material did u use for d Quant and for how long did u prepare for d test??

Wrote mine in Jan 1st week and my score came out very low.....in fact, I couldn't believe my quant score when it was displayed on d screen. I prepared wity Barron in less than 2 months (combining work n study). I need to prepare better n fire back....with at least 160Q.

Is there anyone here who has combined GRE test prep with work n scored high in the test? Please an advice from anyone will be highly valued.

Thanks house!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by penroll55(m): 1:38pm On Mar 26, 2016
fame12k:

Also interested, thanks

femiquadrim@gmail.com

sorry for the late reply.....check your email have sent u all the toefl materials and hope u have good data cus they are much
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 4:17pm On Mar 26, 2016
penroll55:

sorry for the late reply.....check your email have sent u all the toefl materials and hope u have good data cus they are much

thanks, appreciate it.

pls kind add me to d fb group at femiquadri12000@yahoo.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
Graduate Assistantship - Auburn University (AL) - aquatic ecology/limnology One graduate research assistantship (Ph.D. (preferred) or M.S.) in aquatic ecology/limnology is available in Alan Wilson's lab at Auburn University (http://www.wilsonlab.com). Current lab research projects take advantage of our large field station, which includes hundreds of ponds, and nearby reservoirs where we answer basic and applied questions associated with understanding the ecological, evolutionary, and limnological mechanisms controlling the structure and function of freshwater plankton communities with an emphasis on harmful algal blooms. My students are welcome to participate on existing projects but are strongly encouraged to develop their own projects in addition to applying for external grants and fellowships.Ideal candidates will be hard-working, honest, team-oriented, and excited about studying freshwater communities using field and lab-based approaches. Prior coursework in limnology, ecology, and statistics, a strong interest in mentoring undergraduates, and relevant research experiences (including analytical skills, such GC-MS, HPLC, ELISA), are desirable.Interested students are encouraged to email Alan Wilson (wilson@auburn.edu) describing why the lab is a good fit for you by1 May 2016for full consideration. In addition, please include your resume including GRE scores), copies of transcripts, and contact information for three references.Alan Wilson - Associate Professor Auburn University - Fisheries www.wilsonlab.com- 334-246-1120

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 1:43pm On Mar 27, 2016
Graduate opportunity: Water quality, Louisiana State University. I am seeking a motivated student to pursue an MS graduate degree in Watershed Sciences. The student will conduct intensive water quality sampling in the Mississippi-Atchafalaya Rivers. The goal of the research is to assess transfer and environmental fate of riverine carbon and nutrients. Minimal qualifications include a background in water quality or a similar discipline (e.g., hydrology, soil science, environmental chemistry, environmental toxicology, etc.). A strong work ethic and the ability to work both as part of a team and independently are critical. The student must possess a valid U.S. driver's license.Interested candidates should send an email describing their past experience and their motivation for pursuing a graduate degree, along with a resume, unofficial college transcripts, GRE scores, and the names and contact information for 2-3 references toyjxu@lsu.edu. Missing any of the above documents will not be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Start date is expected to be in the summer semester of 2016.Y. Jun Xu School of Renewable Natural Resources Louisiana State University Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA Email:yjxu@lsu.eduhttp://www.rnr.lsu.edu/hydrology/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 1:48pm On Mar 27, 2016
PhD position in Conservation Genomics at NDSU Conservation Genomics of the rare Californian endemic, Torrey Pine (Pinus torreyana)A PhD position in conservation genomics is available to study the evolution and conservation of the rare Californian endemic, Torrey Pine with Jill Hamilton at North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota in collaboration with JessicaWright (USDA Forest Service, Research Geneticist, Pacific Southwest Research Station).Torrey pine (Pinus torreyana Parry) in one of the rarest pine species in the world, restricted to two discrete populations, a mainland grove of approximately 3400 trees just north of San Diego and an island population of approximately 2000 trees approximately 280 km up the coast on Santa Rosa Island, one of the Channel Islands. This project will evaluate the genomic structure of natural populations and take advantage of a wealth of phenotypic data available from a common garden experiment of mainland, island and F1 individuals planted at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. The combination of a long-term common garden experiment coincident with large-scale genomic surveys in natural populations will provides a valuable resource to direct in situ and ex situ conservation guidelines for Torrey pine conservation. In addition, there will be plenty of room to pursue particular questions of interest depending on the interest and experience of the candidate. This interdisciplinary research will combine field work at both the common garden site and within the natural populations in California, collaboration with the Institute of Forest Genetics in Placerville, CA and lab work in the Hamilton Lab at North Dakota State University.The ideal PhD student will be prepared to conduct field-based research as well as have some experience in molecular ecology/population genetics or bioinformatics for genomic data analyses.For more information on the Hamilton Lab please visit the lab website at:http://www.jillahamilton.com and more information on the Department of Biological Sciences at NDSU athttps://www.ndsu.edu/biology/. Fargo is the largest city in the northern Midwest and as 'Gateway to the West' is a vibrant, growing community that has access to numerous outdoor opportunities for all seasons. Interested students are encouraged to contact Dr. Hamilton (jill.hamilton@ndsu.edu). Please include a brief description of your research interests and a CV in your email. Funding options are available for both US students as well as international students. Jill Hamilton Assistant Professor Department of Biological Sciences North Dakota State University Fargo, ND, USA58102

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.