Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? (4063 Views)

Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ? / Atheist Just Hope "Hell,heaven, God Doesnt Exist" / Are You Commanding Your Mornings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 29, 2014
"Then the king sent to him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him, and behold, he was sitting on the top of the hill. And he said to him, "O man of God, the king says, 'Come down.'" Elijah replied to the captain of fifty, "If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty." Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.…" - 2 Kings 1:9-10

"When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” But He turned and rebuked them, [and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village." - Luke 9:54

If we review these two scripture , it appears that in the OT people were free to call down fire from heaven whereas in the NT this was specifically prohibited.

We all know that God does not change, Today, Yesterday or forever and hence I have a few questions :

- Was it God that made the fire to come down from heaven at Elijah's beckoning
- Why did Jesus reveal a different person of God who actually does not want to send down fire from heaven to destroy people
- Jesus made the statement "...the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them!" , does this not mean that a lot of violence we attribute to God may not have been his will or even ordered by him.
-Why do many churches today call down fire from heaven in contrast to the command of Jesus.

Thanks for your participation.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 29, 2014

We all know that God does not change, Today, Yesterday or forever
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
Apatheist:

what don't you understand ?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
@frosbel,
Don't worry, God will give you the best reply. As you can see, people are getting bored of your unprofitable discoveries. Six hours after you opened this thread nobody has cared to engage in any foolish argument with you. Keep opening threads here and there and be talking to yourself bro. After all its free of charge. grin

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2014
alexleo: @frosbel,
Don't worry, God will give you the best reply. As you can see, people are getting bored of your unprofitable discoveries. Six hours after you opened this thread nobody has cared to engage in any foolish argument with you. Keep opening threads here and there and be talking to yourself bro. After all its free of charge. grin

oh dear, is there something biting you that makes you want to revenge some new revelation that undermines your theological position ?

And by the way , I did not know that your hope was to prevent people from actively participating in the tearing apart of your Myths and Fables grin

Don't worry about me , I will keep posting articles more for knowledge than anything else.

3 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Kendzyma(m): 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Elijah probably heard/withnessed a volcanic erruption consuming iz enemies,and den tot it waz frm god,dats y d bible dnt talk about volcanic erruption cous dey possibly dnt no anitin about it den.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by qstar(m): 9:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
Kendzyma: Elijah probably heard/withnessed a volcanic erruption consuming iz enemies,and den tot it waz frm god,dats y d bible dnt talk about volcanic erruption cous dey possibly dnt no anitin about it den.

You even believe that Elijah bull-crap? That was simply a hallucination.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 9:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
frosbel:

oh dear, is there something biting you that makes you want to revenge some new revelation that undermines your theological position ?

And by the way , I did not know that your hope was to prevent people from actively participating in the tearing apart of your Myths and Fables grin

Don't worry about me , I will keep posting articles more for knowledge than anything else.

Hahahahaha. I just stated the obvious and you are biting me. Check it now bro. From 2.55pm to 10.40pm nobody has engaged you in any foolish argument. People are attending to more important discussions. No time to dull around. Anyway sha I just say make I hail you. Make I waka dey go bros. grin

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by flourishG(m): 1:01am On Jul 30, 2014
alexleo: @frosbel,

Y u talking like a foolish and unlearned fellow? Did frosbel force you to comment? Did you not start similar topic in the past? Does the truth hurt you? Does it matter if frosbel open 100 thread in a day if it will teach d truth? Does it matter how long a thread is opened vs when pple respond? Haven't you seen pple trynna resurrect some old threads?

4 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by shdemidemi(m): 4:23am On Jul 30, 2014
The deceit of today's Christianity is the pressure of thinking we can mimic the prophets and apostles. We have all been unable to do an impression of what was done by these people. Instead of going back to the manuscript to check why we can't wrought miracles or in this case call down fire like Elijah, we lock our minds and believe whatever ideology we have been made to believe. We have so much believed a lie that when we see the truth, we fight it. We have been a part of the shadow for too long, it has seemingly become a reality we are not ready to debunk.

It's definitely not in accordance with the will of God to call fire for or against anything or anyone today.

3 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by flourishG(m): 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
@all, christians n christian leaders n g.o calling down fire on enemies are all antichrist.antichrist because dey go against christ n his teaching.they ignorant because demons dont die by fire also because holyghost is to refine the saints like pure gold.too many babylon church in this endtime they are too much interested in just opening church but are empty of d word nothing truth to show.

4 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2014
flourishG:

Y u talking like a foolish and unlearned fellow? Did frosbel force you to comment? Did you not start similar topic in the past? Does the truth hurt you? Does it matter if frosbel open 100 thread in a day if it will teach d truth? Does it matter how long a thread is opened vs when pple respond? Haven't you seen pple trynna resurrect some old threads?

If you were reasonable enough you would ve understood my point. I'm not begging you to understand anyway. You can wallow in foolishness if you care. The point I'm making was not about whether pastors should call down fire or not. Be reasonable or keep shut.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
flourishG: @all, christians n christian leaders n g.o calling down fire on enemies are all antichrist.antichrist because dey go against christ n his teaching.they ignorant because demons dont die by fire also because holyghost is to refine the saints like pure gold.too many babylon church in this endtime they are too much interested in just opening church but are empty of d word nothing truth to show.

The points you made here are okay yet it didn't address what frosbel is driving at. This shows that you read his post but you didn't understand what you read. (Including those who clicked like for you). Read the OP again.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2014
qstar:

You even believe that Elijah bull-crap? That was simply a hallucination.

Or a myth.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by flourishG(m): 10:22pm On Jul 30, 2014
alexleo:
The points you made here are okay yet it didn't address what frosbel is driving at. This shows that you read his post but you didn't understand what you read. (Including those who clicked like for you). Read the OP again.

U or me, who's confused? Can u read where I contribute d to da op? Y does pple like what I said affect your health?

flourishG: @all, christians n christian leaders n g.o calling down fire on enemies are all antichrist.antichrist because dey go against christ n his teaching.they ignorant because demons dont die by fire also because holyghost is to refine the saints like pure gold.too many babylon church in this endtime they are too much interested in just opening church but are empty of d word nothing truth to show.

D op stated da truth n we contribute. What more u wanna hear?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 10:34pm On Jul 30, 2014
flourishG:

U or me, who's confused? Can u read where I contribute d to da op? Y does pple like what I said affect your health?

D op stated da truth n we contribute. What more u wanna hear?

You still dont get it. Frosbel asked some questions which you ve not answered. You just answered the last one and you think you ve done great. Pls answer 1,2 and 3. Here is it below-

frosbel:
If we review these two scripture , it appears that in the OT people were free to call down fire from heaven whereas in the NT this was specifically prohibited.

We all know that God does not change, Today, Yesterday or forever and hence I have a few questions :

- Was it God that made the fire to come down from heaven at Elijah's beckoning
- Why did Jesus reveal a different person of God who actually does not want to send down fire from heaven to destroy people
- Jesus made the statement [color=#990000]"...the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them!"
, does this not mean that a lot of violence we attribute to God may not have been his will or even ordered by him.
-Why do many churches today call down fire from heaven in contrast to the command of Jesus.

Thanks for your participation.

Answer the questions above and stop confusing yourself man.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 31, 2014
^^

Why don't you answer it.

smiley
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Olusanya333(m): 10:12am On Jul 31, 2014
As a Christain when u pray there is a Fire that moves to burn every hinderance in the Spirit realm.
Fire Goes before the Lord and Consumes his enemy.
-As for ur Question wether its d will of God to make fire come down nd consume d fitfies i will answer you if u r able to answer dis Is it in the will of God that Pharaoh perish or not?
-As for why Jesus goes against calling Fire to destroy people I will answer you if only you can answer Why did God repent of bringing evil upon Nineveh?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by PastorKun(m): 10:37am On Jul 31, 2014
Olusanya333: As a Christain when u pray there is a Fire that moves to burn every hinderance in the Spirit realm.
Fire Goes before the Lord and Consumes his enemy.
-As for ur Question wether its d will of God to make fire come down nd consume d fitfies i will answer you if u r able to answer dis Is it in the will of God that Pharaoh perish or not?
-As for why Jesus goes against calling Fire to destroy people I will answer you if only you can answer Why did God repent of bringing evil upon Nineveh?

Very false doctrine with manipulative questions to deceive the gullible. Where in your bible are you told that fire moves in the spirit realm when you pray
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
frosbel: ^^

Why don't you answer it.

smiley

Thats the foolish argument i was saying people are not willing to engage in. While i dont support the nonsense fire prayer against perceived enemies among brethren as you said, I cannot agree with you that it wasnt God that answered Elijah's prayer if that is what you are driving at. Hebrews 12:29 says that "our God is a consuming fire". My only problem with you is when you tend to question the credibility of what is written in the scripture, not when you question the credibility of pastor's action or church doctrine.

That guy should answer you. Its not enough for him to run his fingers on the keyboard giving a lower-than-half defence on what you wrote.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2014
alexleo:

Thats the foolish argument i was saying people are not willing to engage in. While i dont support the nonsense fire prayer against perceived enemies among brethren as you said, I cannot agree with you that it wasnt God that answered Elijah's prayer if that is what you are driving at. Hebrews 12:29 says that "our God is a consuming fire". My only problem with you is when you tend to question the credibility of what is written in the scripture, not when you question the credibility of pastor's action or church doctrine.

That guy should answer you. Its not enough for him to run his fingers on the keyboard giving a lower-than-half defence on what you wrote.

once again you exhibit your religious arrogance by calling something foolish without understanding the intent of the write.

Why not just move on ?

It is this intolerance, fanaticism and spiritual elitism of so called churches that turns people away from Christ.

Anyone ( including me ) has every right to question parts of the bible where there is ambiguity or contradiction. Why are you so fearful and insecure when people decide to review their earlier convictions in the light of more information.

smh.

2 Likes

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2014
frosbel:

once again you exhibit your religious arrogance by calling something foolish without understanding the intent of the write.

Why not just move on ?

It is this intolerance, fanaticism and spiritual elitism of so called churches that turns people away from Christ.

Anyone ( including me ) has every right to question parts of the bible where there is ambiguity or contradiction. Why are you so fearful and insecure when people decide to review their earlier convictions in the light of more information.

smh.

Whatever you like. I can't agree with your stand on this. Call it religion, intolerance, fanaticism, arrogance or whatever you like, that's your business bro. Even the scripture said we should avoid foolish questions and argument. I can question church traditions and doctrine but i can't question or doubt what is written in the scripture. If we all start picking and choosing what to believe and what not to believe in the scripture then the whole thing becomes a waste. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 31, 2014
alexleo:

Whatever you like. I can't agree with your stand on this. Call it religion, intolerance, fanaticism, arrogance or whatever you like, that's your business bro. Even the scripture said we should avoid foolish questions and argument. I can question church traditions and doctrine but i can't question or doubt what is written in the scripture. If we all start picking and choosing what to believe and what not to believe in the scripture then the whole thing becomes a waste. Thanks.

Good.

As per the bolded take your own advice and move on, you are nobody's moral compass.

1 Like

Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by flourishG(m): 2:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
alexleo:
You still dont get it. Frosbel asked some questions which you ve not answered. You just answered the last one and you think you ve done great. Pls answer 1,2 and 3. Here is it below-
Answer the questions above and stop confusing yourself man.

U freaking want answers when ya mind is made up?
alexleo:
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Weah96: 3:13pm On Jul 31, 2014
alexleo:

If we all start picking and choosing what to believe and what not to believe in the scripture then the whole thing becomes a waste. Thanks.

So who gets to decide which interpretation is correct?
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2014
flourishG:

U freaking want answers when ya mind is made up?

My friend keep shut if you don't have answers to give. I addressed my issue to frosbel at first and you foolishly forced yourself into it. Now that I ve shown you your confusion you are dodging it. You are not providing the answers for me. You are replying what the OP asked which you told me before that you ve answered. Meanwhile you answered only one out of the four questions he asked. You that is replying the OP should complete the reply and stop playing hide and seek game with it. If I want to reply the issues he raised I will reply all so stop deceiving yourself and reply all that he raised.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
@alexleo , some advice.

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry " - James 1:9
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Olusanya333(m): 4:05pm On Jul 31, 2014
PastorKun:

Very false doctrine with manipulative questions to deceive the gullible. Where in your bible are you told that fire moves in the spirit realm when you pray
Fire goes before the Lord and consume his enemy. And Lo its written I shall be enemy to ur enemies nd adversary to ur adversaries. My enemy is God enemy. Do u now see it
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by PastorKun(m): 4:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
Olusanya333: Fire goes before the Lord and consume his enemy. And Lo its written I shall be enemy to ur enemies nd adversary to ur adversaries. My enemy is God enemy. Do u now see it

no i don't see it
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by Olusanya333(m): 4:27pm On Jul 31, 2014
PastorKun:

no i don't see it
Those who know their God shall do exploit
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2014
frosbel: @alexleo , some advice.

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry " - James 1:9

grin grin grin grin. Na wa for this my friend o. E never reach this level na. You no how my anger dey be in those days. This one no be am.
Re: Commanding Fire Down From Heaven - God's Will Or Not ? by alexleo(m): 5:29pm On Jul 31, 2014
Olusanya333: Fire goes before the Lord and consume his enemy. And Lo its written I shall be enemy to ur enemies nd adversary to ur adversaries. My enemy is God enemy. Do u now see it

Who is your enemy pls? Human beings or devil or both?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy Pyramid Fete To All Members Of The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC / Now I Am Feed Up! I Am Done With The Christian Faith, I See What Athiets See Now / EXPOSED: RCCG Pastor Caught Naked In Attempt To Sleep With Married Woman(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.