Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance (32544 Views)

Chelsea FC: John Obi Mikel Defends Mourinho - We Are Solidly Behind Him / Edin Dzeko Protests On His World Cup Goal Vs Nigeria / Osita Offor Defends Wrestling Title Against Bobby Lashley In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Princeadebayo1(m): 7:19am On Jul 30, 2014
John Mikel Obi has defended his World Cup
performance, claiming he tried to play for the team
rather than seek glory.

The Chelsea midfielder continues to be the brunt of criticism following what has been widely perceived as a disappointing World Cup display, but the 27 year-old claims he is being unfairly criticized.

"I tried to do my best to work hard for the team.
We play together and nobody wants to be a
Maradona because in our team, everybody has to
play for each other," Mikel told KickOffNigeria.com
exclusively.

"All I wanted to do was work hard for the team and
not to look for glory, but people don't see that.
"You don't always have to dribble everybody to
help the team. And the coach knows that I was
doing my best."

Mikel admitted that his game fell short of the
standards he set at the Confederation Cup last
year, but says there was a slight change in styles.

"The Confederations Cup was a learning
experience for us, and I think I was a little more
forward there, but now I had to do more work for
the team.

http://www.kickoffnigeria.com/mobile/news/47223/nigerias-john-mikel-obi-defends-world-cup-performance

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:26am On Jul 30, 2014
Mikel played well.Yes but for a number 10, he was zero.
Well i coach a monkey post team in warri and am hoping Mourinho sells him to me for just 3 keg of palmwine,2 calabash of kolanut and 1 crate of kunu

163 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by SalC: 7:56am On Jul 30, 2014
Even if he didn't play well, the criticism is too much. I believe he did his best, though his best was not good enough. We've lost the past cup already, let's prepare and look forward to 2018.

28 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by mygee33(m): 8:02am On Jul 30, 2014
He would have been better as goal keeper

38 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by khattab02: 10:59am On Jul 30, 2014
mygee33: He would have been better as goal keeper
lol.. Nigeria could have conceed more.

10 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Ahuitzotl: 11:12am On Jul 30, 2014
Mikel should leave that Chelsae and come to Enyimba...We need him.

17 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Prowizy2(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
The Super Chickens Eagles of Nigeria #10

Indeed there was a National Team.

5 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Princeadebayo1(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
khattab02: lol.. Nigeria could have conceed more.
lol..,the scores would have been like this with mikel's own goals as majority....
against argentina 75-2
against bosnia 22-1
against france 54-0 cool

.But

.we thank God for Enyeama cool

Making frontpage for the 2nd tym.smiley..hmmm....not bad.wink

6 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Maycher(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
He used to be a good player. Dunno what really happened to him.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Faun(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
He would have been better as one of the camera men capturing the slow-motion shots.

36 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by saasala(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
He has a point too.

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Babaneh(m): 11:13am On Jul 30, 2014
DEFEND MY FOOT. MTCHEEEEEEEEEEW.

He should just keep his rotten mouth shut to avoid spiritual slap. grin

16 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:14am On Jul 30, 2014
Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by myspnigeria: 11:14am On Jul 30, 2014
Knowledgeable response

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Princeadebayo1(m): 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
If it ever cross Mikel's mind to improve,then he should seriously consider leaving Chelsea for a team that will improve him all round and maybe start from the basics again because even defensively he is not good enough,he is too slow on the ball,not effective in the team and makes costly mistakes,just like a short-one on the pitch however he has won everything win-able with Chelsea and how do you expect him to improve having won everything,let him face a new challenge somewhere else and leave his comfort zone but so far he is still in Chelsea his football career still remain f*ucked......#storms out

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
`Yeah, he played really well with his shell.
Infact, I'm surprised no body could break his shell in the 4 games he played. We should name him our new captain. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Samiceman: 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
Who cares?? Actually, in one word.... He flopped!

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Forwetinnah: 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
He really tried to play.....

like a pregnant man undecided

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
OK we've heard,but your best was not good enough.
Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by 3Dimension: 11:15am On Jul 30, 2014
That face you give when u watch Mikel speak just the way he plays.

29 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by nerodenero: 11:16am On Jul 30, 2014
Wish Mikel didnt play at that Worldcup.If truly he played for the team,was he instructed to be as slow as snail?Anyway,take it or leave,he is still out best option in the mildfield.We just lack options at the worldcup and blame Keshi for that.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Swagavillage(m): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2014
ok
Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by intelligen(m): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2014
We dont need his explaination...the world cup is over....he shd focus on retaining his jersey @ chelsea.....

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by gabinogem(m): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2014
He did what he had to do... but he's best is as good as zero.
Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Kk4(m): 11:18am On Jul 30, 2014
Mikel is an OK player but he is not hungry for GLORY. He is too layback

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Impulse80(m): 11:18am On Jul 30, 2014
Did you mean Snail ObI?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by simplex2: 11:19am On Jul 30, 2014
Playing for the team my nyash! Peeps like Robben, Muller, Sweinstneigger and Messi played against their team!

Sluggish ba'st'ard!

29 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by IAMBREEZY: 11:19am On Jul 30, 2014
He played rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by busterr(m): 11:19am On Jul 30, 2014
You would av played for personal glory, b.cos your 'playing as a team' mentality didn't work out for you

1 Like

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by Nairalane: 11:19am On Jul 30, 2014
Mikel. Pls, just be on the attack for once. You played defensively during d world cup and u re still defending ur defensive role. Pls attack ur performance and become an attacker/striker. Maybe just Swap ur jersey.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Defends His World Cup Performance by 50calibre(m): 11:20am On Jul 30, 2014
Young man stop talking bulls*hit, no one asks you to be a Maradona or to dribble everyone, all the fans demand is a playmaker who can coordinate the team.

Show experience, and exercise good judgement on the ball like a true no 10. Go watch clips of jay jay, you will understand his mastery or better still look at Andre Pirlo.

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Onyeka’s Arrival At Brentford: Will It Put Ndidi On His Toes In Super Eagles? / Lionel Messi's Lifetime Statistics 2004 - 2017 / James McCarthy Suffers Double Leg Break

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.