Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,794 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr (1477 Views)

Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by obynocj(m): 8:32am On Jul 30, 2014

This will definitely sound incredible. But it’s true. Many illegal private universities across the country are awarding PhD certificates, even as those studying for masters degrees pay as much as N1.5 million to complete their programme in just six months.

This was the shocking discovery by the National Universities Commission (NUC) Committee on the Closure of Illegal Degree-Awarding Universities when the body stormed two unapproved private universities in Lagos.

The committee stormed the private universities alongside officials of the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), State Security Service (SSS) and some journalists.

A high drama played out at a three-bedroom flat, which served as study centre for Evangel Christian University of America and the shopping mall used, as Clinton University when the proprietor and bursar claimed they had approval to operate but could not back up their claim when the chairman of the NUC committee, Prof. Adebisi Balogun, requested for their approval papers.

When the NUC and ICPC team, which included Mr. Moses Awe, Dr. Lawrence Ogugua, Mr. Adewale Adenuga, Mr. Kingsely and Mr. Folurunso Ariyo and some journalists stormed the two degree-awarding mills, what they saw, including students’ admission lists, receipts for tuition payment, organogram of principal officers and numerous completed projects baffled them.

campus

At Evangel Christian University of America, which was being run in a three-bedroom flat, the NUC/ICPC team met the Bursar, Dr. Philip Nnaji, and a lady administrative officer. When confronted by Prof. Balogun that the school was operating illegally, Dr. Nnaji, with all the confidence he could muster, said the school was a study centre, insisting that its America affiliate awarded the certificate.

He said: “The school has proper documents to back up its operation and could not register with NUC. Sir, the university is duly registered and the necessary documents are with the vice chancellor. I am the bursar of this centre. We have students. I teach also. We have lecturers, who come from outside the university. I don’t know when the university started but I got my PhD in 2013 from the same university.”
“People are attracted to study here because of where the certificate is coming from. We also award diplomas. It takes one year for a student to bag his/her PhD. We also offer BA degrees, which take four years whereas it takes students one year to bag a masters degree.”

Investigations revealed that Evangel Christian University of America started business in 1976 and has since graduated thousands of students. It claimed to have been accredited by Transworld Accrediting Commission and had study centres in Aba, Umuhia, Port Harcourt and Akwa Ibom.

After the place was sealed off, the team went away with vital documents, including forms sold to students for N10, 000, completed projects, answer scripts and receipt, bearing $1,050 paid to Dr. Nnaji’s account. Thereafter, he was arrested and taken away by men of the State Security Service (SSS).

See more on http://www..com/2014/07/illegal-private-universities-use.html
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 30, 2014
lol, all in the bid to make money , I pity for the lazy students that will go there.
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by Generalkorex(m): 9:52am On Jul 30, 2014
naija i hail o
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by Koolmexxi(m): 11:16am On Jul 30, 2014
But the students sha..
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by Boyoboy9(m): 11:31am On Jul 30, 2014
Anyway is a way, Man no go chop?
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by biggerboyc(m): 1:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
its not his fault. and illegal university dey since 1976 and na now they just dey find out. that's there own problem ooo. this are one of the people who made Nigeria education so worthless.

....,...........chai...............

there is God ooooooo
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by elguaje(m): 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2014
NAIJA I hail oooooo cheesy
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by Cpolicy(m): 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
Nah so e easy to go school?
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by LikeTheWind(m): 7:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
Am I supposed to believe this? Jokes section please...
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by armadeo(m): 7:25pm On Jul 30, 2014
All students of these universities should be arrested for extreme stupidity and forced to retake waec and start from there.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by rattlesnake(m): 8:12pm On Jul 30, 2014
grin grin
Re: Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr by blueheart(m): 8:24pm On Jul 30, 2014
Come and see 'American Wonder' shocked

(1) (Reply)

Happy 54th Anniversary University Of Nigeria, Nsukka!! / 10 Facts To NOTE For JAMB 2015/2016 / Let's Share Some Of The Most Stupid Acts We Ever Did While In School.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.