Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,739 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day (14923 Views)

Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities / Mother & Son Bag MSc From UNILAG (Photo) / Private Universities Use 3-bedroom Flat As Campuses • Students Bag PhD in one Yr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by semid4lyfe(m): 3:55am On Feb 12, 2013

A married couple, Olusegun Samuel and his wife, Temitope Samuel stole the show at the 50th Convocation Ceremony of the University of Lagos where they made history by becoming the first couple to bag doctorate degrees on the same day at the institution.

While Samuel did his PhD work on Marine Ecology, with a focus on Ecotoxicology- the study of how poison and chemicals affect the ecosystem, his wife focused on Dermatophyte, a group of fungi that causes skin diseases.

Samuel who joined UNILAG as a lecturer in the Faculty of Science in 2007 met Temitope at the same institution and they got married in May 2010. Temitope on the other hand, obtained her first and second degrees at UNILAG. They are blessed with a child but decided not to have another until they complete their PhD programmes, Temitope told Punch.

“We decided that we were not going to mix pleasure with business. The two don’t go together. Why should we have another baby so soon? When we got married on May 1, 2010, we both agreed on what would happen before we started our PhD programme. But now, the programme is over, we can return to that,” she said.

They said it took them a lot of hard work, sleepless nights, and huge financial resources to complete the programme.

“It took a lot of sacrifice. But since we were both involved, we were able to manage our time. Whenever I was not at home, my wife would be there. Again, at times, we worked so late on the campus that we did not get home until 11.00pm,” Samuel told Punch.

He added that he is proud of his wife’s achievement and doesn’t feel threatened by it. “It is what we both agreed to do. I don’t feel threatened that my wife has attained the same academic feat with me. It is for the benefit of the family.”

They don’t intend to stop at a PhD but plan to pursue their post-doctoral works.

“Definitely, getting a PhD is not the end. The next thing is to pursue post-doctoral works outside the country, because there is no facilities for such in Nigeria. Then, there is the need to get our findings published in a reputable journal. For some, it costs about $500 to get published. Some may say they want to publish it free, but it may take more than two years to get published. For two years, they may tell you that they are still studying your findings,” Samuel said.

Their achievement is indeed admirable and we wish them the very best.

BELLANAIJA

12 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by IHEKESON: 4:01am On Feb 12, 2013
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Nobody: 4:02am On Feb 12, 2013
More kudos to the lady in question,not some brazilian hair,bb porsche type of lady. She dedicated her time to the pursue of knowledge,and not some killing,and unproductive schemes like a typical ninja Nigeria lady.

22 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by OgidiBoy(m): 4:06am On Feb 12, 2013
Now who wears the pants in that house.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Nobody: 4:07am On Feb 12, 2013
Worthless PhDs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Monichilly(f): 4:12am On Feb 12, 2013
Great achievement
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by yorke1: 4:13am On Feb 12, 2013
What is phd? Is it a new fashion in town?

1 Like

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by IHEKESON: 4:14am On Feb 12, 2013

33 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by braine(m): 4:15am On Feb 12, 2013
Good for them. I pray their children become better.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by IHEKESON: 4:16am On Feb 12, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by profola2be(m): 4:17am On Feb 12, 2013
Prof Corruption: Worthless PhDs.
Did I hear you say worthless Phds?
I pity you ooooo!

1 Like

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by 2million1(m): 4:30am On Feb 12, 2013
kudos to 'em
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by profola2be(m): 4:31am On Feb 12, 2013
Did I hear you say worthless Phds?
I pity you ooooo!
Mr Segun and Temitope Samuel,may God uphold and bless your family.
For Mr Olusegun Samuel,I am proud of you,because,ordinarily,some men would delay the woman fromm achieving thesame feet as they have achieve.
Some men would have even said,"when I am through,you can start your own programme"
I pray for you,may you go far in life!

5 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Nobody: 4:33am On Feb 12, 2013
This couple are good but too much of everything is bad
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by otokx(m): 4:34am On Feb 12, 2013
tot there was a statute or law prohibiting lecturers and other university staff from getting phd or masters or any degree in the university in which they are employed for obvious reasons.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by GJames(m): 4:35am On Feb 12, 2013
Their pikin go hear am. He/she dare not come 2nd in class & should forget anything entertainment. ''Business before pleasure''

3 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Rhino5dm: 4:36am On Feb 12, 2013
Marine what and what?

GBAM! cool

4 Likes

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Rhino5dm: 4:36am On Feb 12, 2013
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by EkoAtlantic1(f): 4:37am On Feb 12, 2013
Old people just having PH.D tongue undecided
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by aieromon(m): 4:38am On Feb 12, 2013
Money well spent. Congrats.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Dfrenzy(m): 4:51am On Feb 12, 2013
Wow, Amazing feat !!!
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by femmy2010(m): 4:53am On Feb 12, 2013
Good one
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Jaideyone(m): 5:22am On Feb 12, 2013
otokx: tot there was a statute or law prohibiting lecturers and other university staff from getting phd or masters or any degree in the university in which they are employed for obvious reasons.
there's no law like that
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Richie77: 5:26am On Feb 12, 2013
Nice one !!!!!!!!!!!
♏v̶̲̥̅ pearl must be reading Dis now !!!!!!
We can do better !!!!!!
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Baba419(m): 5:29am On Feb 12, 2013
E no mean say them go get job the same time
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Nobody: 5:30am On Feb 12, 2013
Wow Temitope my babyyyyyyyyyy, so you left me for him? phd HOLDER? ...WELL I GUESS ITS GOOD TO SEE YOU HAPPY...CONGRATS DEAR ,gGreatest Akokites, Botany Class of 07.My regards to Prof Adekunle smiley smiley smiley
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by topmostg: 5:34am On Feb 12, 2013
braine: Good for them. I pray their children become better.
definitelY,
just imagine that i.Q. power in their children...
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by babaowo: 5:37am On Feb 12, 2013
.... how many of your family members have master degee? talkess phd?... bastardooo!!!

1 Like

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by greatgod2012(f): 5:46am On Feb 12, 2013
Congrats to them.
More power to their elbows.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by karlnyeno: 5:52am On Feb 12, 2013
Ma own is let de wife start bearing fruits before her ministry become stagnant

1 Like

Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Nobody: 5:59am On Feb 12, 2013
Congratulations to both of them.
Re: Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day by Lakayana: 6:00am On Feb 12, 2013
I know you are happy now for you just want to seek attention you've gotten a basket full now empty coconut head like you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix / Any Good GMAT Lecture Centre In Lagos? / JAMB Set To Commence 2012/2013 Admissions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.